Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Another coffee thread - any opinions on Keurig vs. Nespresso?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Another coffee thread - any opinions on Keurig vs. Nespresso?

Old 10-19-11, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Another coffee thread - any opinions on Keurig vs. Nespresso?

http://www.businessinsider.com/gaap-...e-2011-10?op=1

K-Cups are about forty times as expensive as regular coffee.
Old 10-20-11, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post

Which is why one should use the personal k-cup and fill it with your own coffee.
Old 10-20-11, 06:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 362 Likes on 251 Posts

Link isn't working for me, but that figure can't be right, even if you're assuming that the entire pot of regular coffee gets used. K-cups are about 60 cents a cup; is regular coffee really less than 2 cents a serving?
Old 10-20-11, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Link isn't working for me, but that figure can't be right, even if you're assuming that the entire pot of regular coffee gets used. K-cups are about 60 cents a cup; is regular coffee really less than 2 cents a serving?
His analysis is:

Folgers Custom Roast Ground Drip Coffee = $8.86/270 Servings = 3.3c/serving
Folgers Black Silk Dark Roast K-Cup = $11.28/18 K-Cups = 62.7c/serving

I don't think I've ever gotten 270 servings out of ground coffee.
Old 10-20-11, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

a pound of coffee makes approx 32 eight ounce cups of coffee, depending how strong you make it. Is he buying the Folgers Custom by the 55 gallon drum?
Old 10-20-11, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joke's on him, Folgers isn't coffee.
Old 10-20-11, 09:17 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 362 Likes on 251 Posts

I've been surrounded by coffee drinkers all my life, parents at home, and office at work; and have rarely seen the entire pot get used. Seems like at least half gets thrown out, and some of the last cups are reheated and sort of meh. Maybe that's just a justification on k-cup users part, but I'm a cheap ass, and prefer k-cups.
Old 10-20-11, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lordwow View Post
His analysis is:

Folgers Custom Roast Ground Drip Coffee = $8.86/270 Servings = 3.3c/serving
Folgers Black Silk Dark Roast K-Cup = $11.28/18 K-Cups = 62.7c/serving

I don't think I've ever gotten 270 servings out of ground coffee.
270 servings per pound seems absurd. The coffee would be around 1/3 the strength I brew.

SCAA recommends 10 g per 177 mL cup for single cup brewing, 55 g/L for larger quantity (pots). This works out to approximately 2 tablespoons per cup or about 47 cups per pound (50 cups/lb is a common recommendation for large coffee percolater urns).
http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/1thebasics.html

This is way too strong in my drip machine. One tablespoon/cup is more realistic and quite strong, so perhaps 90-100 cups per pound is realistic in drip machines. (Note "coffee" cups are not real 8 oz cups, they are defined as 6 fl oz. I have to brew 5.5 of their teeny cups to net two mugs of coffee in the morning). The result will certainly depend on brew method. "Your Coffee May Vary"

So drip coffee might be $0.10 per serving depending on what you buy and how you brew (3 lb Costco Columbia Supremo (whole bean) is under $20, cheaper and a lot better than Folger's, IMO)
Old 10-21-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Nespresso and love it.

Got it at Williams & Sonoma along with the milk steamer. the pods make espresso in various strength but the machine can run water through the same pod twice, essentially making a cup of coffee. The pod selection on their website is very good, shipping is very fast.

I like the quality of the coffee over the Keurig that my Mother has
Old 10-24-11, 08:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Nespresso sounds like it's made by Nestle. So good for hot chocolate maybe, but not coffee or espresso.

If it's not made by Nestle, then the name is terrible.
Your wrongness is wrong.
Old 10-24-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I had Nespresso this weekend and it was better than any Flavia/Keurig coffee I've had.
Old 10-24-11, 10:58 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 786 Likes on 567 Posts

I have a Keurig. I like the machine (it's the one that costs about $80), but the most water it can boil in one brew is 10oz, which is a bit small for a single cup of coffee.
There are some great flavours, and some really bad ones. I found that the "variety pack" included in the box was mostly crap. I really like the Van Houtte (sp?) packs and the Kahlua one. You really just have to find the flavours that you like and stick with them. I wasn't impressed by the hot chocolate at all, although I didn't try adding any cream to it.

Overall, I'm very happy we have it.
Old 11-01-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought a Keurig back in early September. Really like it. I know its more expensive but I did buy one of those use your own coffee cups off Amazon and it works great.

I had to call Keurig today as I've been getting a PRIME error. Its been getting worse and won't take any water in.

They're sending out a new unit right away, no hassles. They even threw in a free box of K-Cups to offset the hassle. I was on the phone with them for about 10 minutes total.

My sisters had hers for 1.5 years with no issues. I must have gotten one that was built on a friday

Either way I love this thing. Dark Magic from Green Mountain and the regular Caribou blend are my favorites. Double Black Diamond from Green Mountain is not for the faint of heart....almost too strong....and I love bold coffee.

I figured its going to pay for itself in no time. I drink coffee at work and have stopped buying it at the start of my shift...just make a cup to go and leave it in my car in an insulated cup. Figured I've saved $50 so far by not buying coffee out.
Old 11-01-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hot chocolate made with water?
Old 11-01-11, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hot chocolate made with water?
hint hint

not saying it's right. just saying.
Old 11-01-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks to this thread I made myself a hot cup of Milo.
Old 03-28-16, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 198 Posts

bumping this thread (rather than starting a new one) for a Nespresso question:

Someone brought a Nespresso machine into work (uses original style pods, not the new ones). I'm looking to buy a few pods to have on hand for midday caffeine boosts (and maybe decaf pods for afternoon coffee).

where do you buy them, have you had luck with cheaper ones, etc? I don't want to buy a large quantity because it won't be my primary means of coffee, and it looks like in smaller quantities the nespresso ones are $1/ea, and other brands maybe a little cheaper. Obviously, cheaper ones not worth it if they're not as good. Also, interested in the "lungo" pods unless someone says I shouldn't; I need more than a shot of coffee!
Old 03-28-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 632 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
bumping this thread (rather than starting a new one) for a Nespresso question:

Someone brought a Nespresso machine into work (uses original style pods, not the new ones). I'm looking to buy a few pods to have on hand for midday caffeine boosts (and maybe decaf pods for afternoon coffee).

where do you buy them, have you had luck with cheaper ones, etc? I don't want to buy a large quantity because it won't be my primary means of coffee, and it looks like in smaller quantities the nespresso ones are $1/ea, and other brands maybe a little cheaper. Obviously, cheaper ones not worth it if they're not as good. Also, interested in the "lungo" pods unless someone says I shouldn't; I need more than a shot of coffee!
Are you talking about those thimble sized little fuckers?

Lungo's are good but you basically get the same effect when you do the espresso shot "Americano" style (adding hot water to it). I read they started doing actual Coffee Pods for it (Edit: If it's "VertuoLine" edition).

Keep in mind the device is intended as a straight espresso machine, so primarily for making lattes, cappuccinos, and shots of espresso. I've had some luck making regular cups of coffee with it using the more "intense" pods.

I also usually read that it's cheaper to just buy them direct from Nespresso, which sounds like bullshit but I can't argue it.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-28-16 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-29-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by crazyronin View Post
Which is why one should use the personal k-cup and fill it with your own coffee.
Seems to me that if you're willing to take the effort to pack that little personal k-cup with your own coffee grinds and clean it out after, it would just be easier to use a traditional drip or pourover coffee maker.

I guess I just don't understand the k-cup phenomenon. Sure, it makes it super easy to make a cup of coffee. But it's not like making a cup of coffee was that difficult before k-cups were invented.
Old 03-29-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Everyone in Italy had those little Nespresso machines. When I was in Miami last week, I saw a huge Nespresso store. I've never seen them otherwise.

But if single cup machines are what you are after, say no to plastic cups and hello to a machine that grinds on demand.

Can't vouch for this unit. IT's the cheapest one they sell. But my C9 rules.

As to the allure of Keurig and Nespresso and Jura units - they make better coffee because they extract the flavor from the coffee using high pressure.
Old 03-29-16, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 485 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
I guess I just don't understand the k-cup phenomenon. Sure, it makes it super easy to make a cup of coffee. But it's not like making a cup of coffee was that difficult before k-cups were invented.
Makes the most sense in a place of business, especially a public reception area. Or if you really like a variety of flavored coffees at home.
Old 03-29-16, 04:01 PM
Banned

I actually have both. I got the keurig 2 when it came out and received be nespresso for Christmas. I use the nespresso much more than the keurig. Only bad thing is I have to drive 30 minutes for the nespresso pods or get them online as only one store in Phoenix sells them. My machine came with the milk frothier as well
Old 03-30-16, 03:28 PM

I have a Nespresso. I love it. My wife was a huge K cup fan until I got this machine. She likes the Nespresso coffee better than the Keurig.

I wasn't a coffee drinker until I recently went to Europe. Their coffee is so flavorful and frothy. I was hooked by the time I left. A customer from Amsterdam suggested the Nespresso machine. My machine makes a 2 or 4 oz cup. Pods can be purchased through nespresso.com or amazon.
Old 04-23-16, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

Received 670 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Everyone in Italy had those little Nespresso machines. When I was in Miami last week, I saw a huge Nespresso store. I've never seen them otherwise.

But if single cup machines are what you are after, say no to plastic cups and hello to a machine that grinds on demand.

Can't vouch for this unit. IT's the cheapest one they sell. But my C9 rules.

As to the allure of Keurig and Nespresso and Jura units - they make better coffee because they extract the flavor from the coffee using high pressure.
So my Keurig finally bit it this morning. After trying to clean it out, de-scale it, and other bits of tinkering, I called it at 8:55 am.

I decided to not get another Keurig since I guess I'm a bit more picky as to how wasteful those cups can be, and really, coffee made via K-Cups aren't that great compared to fresh brewed. So I'm now looking into a unit like the one mentioned by CRM114. Now if I wanted to, I could throw down $1600 on a unit like this, but isn't there a more economical alternative to something as expensive as the Jura C9 that makes a great cup of joe? I wouldn't mind one that makes a small 1-2 cup carafe, but I would also like it to steam milk as well. Any one have one they swear by that they could recommend?
Old 04-23-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 683 Likes on 527 Posts

$1600? I hope you meant $160.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.