Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

getting new windows for the house...anyone know a thing or 2 about them?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-06-11, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a guy who was recommended to me to come and give an estimate this sat. i dont know the first thing about windows. tell me what i need to look for as far uv and gases and vinyl or whatever other stuff i need to know or ask about. im just looking for low to medium priced windows (the cheaper the better as long as it will be quality)...not bottom of the line but im not going to be going all out either. also any clue what a decent price on 13 average size windows should be around?
Old 10-07-11, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: getting new windows for the house...anyone know a thing or 2 about them?

1) Check with your utility companies to find out if there is a rebate to upgrade. We have one that is around $3.50 per square foot of glass.

2) An average size picture window of 3X4 should run no more than $150 for a qualifying window (certain standard of insulation value).

3) Window should cost no more than $100 per window per install. If they claim it does, look to find a good general contractor and pay him hourly to do it. Most will charge $75-$100 per window install and whip out 8 in a day, easily while a general contractor will do the same for $50 an hour or so, thus saving you about half on the install.

4) Sliders will increase the cost by about 1.5 times over picture windows per slide. So a picture window at a cost of $200 should cost roughly $300 for a slider (refered to as an XO). A double slider would be called and XOX.

XOXOXOX,
kvrdave
Old 10-07-11, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Back when I lived in this slum college building the landlord hired some fly by night company and they put one of the windows in backwards. I had to go out the next day after I noticed and tell the "foreman" and they had to take it out and put it back in.
Old 10-07-11, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...k-windows.html
Old 10-07-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Remember to get the transparent option.
Old 10-07-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Remember to get the transparent option.
Now you tell me..............
Old 10-07-11, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Get a Mac instead.
Old 10-07-11, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Pella stuff.
Old 10-07-11, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Champion is super overpriced. The sales guy tried the lame 'buy today or this price won't be good tomorrow' crap so I instantly scratched them off the list.

I don't know if it has changed but you needed a U-factor of 0.3 on a couple different metrics to qualify.
Old 10-07-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a lot of shady stuff going on in the vinyl replacement window market. A lot. Slimy used car salesman stuff. I was shocked at a couple of the stunts that a couple of these idiots tried.

We ended up going with Window World. They just have flat rate pricing so none of the salesman bullshit and their prices were substantially better than any of the other companies that came out anyway. That was two years ago and no complaints. The windows are good.
Old 10-07-11, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post

XOXOXOX,
kvrdave
Old 10-08-11, 12:18 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We just had all our metal casement windows (originally built with the house in 1955) replaced with new vinyl windows two weeks ago. We went with Milgard windows sold buy a very reputable locally run building supply and hardware store that has been in business for longer than I've been alive. They had a long list of installers that they recommended.

My wife and I have been putting this upgrade off for years now. Those metal windows are a bitch to maintain even though they're built solid. Plus, after years of paint build-up they just look pretty gnarly. I personally don't care for the "white vinyl" look, I prefer home upgrades to look as original as possible with the house but those options today cost a hell of a lot more than just your regular vinyl options. Put it this way you wouldn't put vinyl windows on a original Greene & Greene house. Luckily for us our house is a fairly typical 1950's suburban ranch style home, yes, the windows stand out but we're pretty much the last remaining house on our street to do this upgrade so now all the houses on the street look almost the same, window-wise.

For years we would get door to door solicitors hitting us up to buy new windows. I would never trust some total stranger but I would recommend finding a local shop that's been in business for a long time that sells doors and windows. You might pay slightly more going the "mom and pop" route but I think the extra cost is well worth it. We've had too many prior bad experiences trying to go cheap with the Home Depot/Lowes store bought stuff and their contractors. For the most part the "big box" guys just don't give a shit about quality installation or customer satisfaction. Once we caught a worker eating food out of our pantry when he was installing new flooring. And I think he tried to sleep with my wife! Just seeing if anyone is reading this. I vowed never to go with Home Depot after they failed to do anything about it.

We were happy with the installation and clean-up from the contractor the mom and pop building supply store recommended. And overall we love our new windows, they're easy to open and close and do almost too good of a job keeping the outside street noise to a minimum, a good thing. Our house is noticeably cooler during the day and warmer at night.

Good luck with your purchase!
Old 10-08-11, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i wish i could help.

Now if this thread were about "Strutter", i know a thing or two about her.
Old 10-08-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps we need a "Tried to sleep with hal9000's wife" thread.
Old 10-09-11, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I never got the windows, they suspended that financing program right as I put my application in. I really need them, but can't afford them.