Reload this Page >

Question for those who have put their animal to sleep

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-04-11, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just curious if your were present when the animal was actually put down. I've never had to put an animal to sleep but I have a thirteen year old golden and I know that the time will come sooner than later. Do you regret being in the room or am glad that you were? I'm pretty sure I will be there for her when her time comes. I feel like I at least owe her that for everything she's given my throughout the years.
Old 10-04-11, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Question for those who have put their animal to sleep

We had our vet come to our house to do it. My wife/son went to a family member's house and I stayed when they gave the first shot but then went outside when they gave the shot that stopped our dog's heart.
Old 10-04-11, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, twice, it is very peaceful. They just sort of pass out. It's nice to be stroking their ears and talking to them when they leave the earth. You will bawl.
Old 10-04-11, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuuuuuuk. My little buddy should have 6-10 years left. But the thought of putting him down kills me. I would definately have it done in-house. He doesn't much like the vet office.

On the other hand, my brother had a really old bloodhound-mutt dog. He outlived his original owner and just died in his sleep one afternoon, while everyone was at work/school.

This thread is definately going to bum me out.
Old 10-04-11, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will be with my faithful friend as he begins his next journey..his last feeling will be me scratching his ears. damn.... I owe him that much for everything he has done.

These threads always make me tear up
Old 10-04-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Worf knew it was his time the night before and wondered off into the property to die. Took most of the next day to find him, but we did, and he wasn't dead. Vet came out and shaved his leg for the injection. I was there. The vet said things like, "you can talk to him" and stuff like that. I nearly laughed. Anyway, just a final big exhale and that was it. Then I had to scoop him up with a tractor and try to dig a hole in the frozen January ground. No easy task. It wasn't emotional for me, but I can say that the entire thing seemed very easy. I can't imagine it being disturbing.
Old 10-04-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You couldn't pay me to work in a Vet's office to witness animals get put to sleep every day - much less even work at the pound when they get euthanized. Fuck that.

I only hope my dog, Chester (6 year old Cocker Spaniel), goes in his sleep of old age. I really don't want to have to go thru the putting him down thing. Not looking forward to that AT ALL.
Old 10-04-11, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have been with the last 3 pets as they've had the injection. (This past June was the most recent time and I still bawled like a baby.) After a lifetime of being a wonderful companion/friend, even if I was ending suffering, that's the least I could do. As they left this world, I wanted their last thought/feeling to be that they were loved and appreciated.

I can't imagine not having it rip me up. (I wouldn't feel like a good pet owner if it didn't.)
Old 10-04-11, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Three dogs and yes we stayed with them every time and will for the other dogs we have. They deserve to not be alone with just the vet when they go.
Old 10-04-11, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
these threads always make me tear up
+1
Old 10-04-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
You couldn't pay me to work in a Vet's office to witness animals get put to sleep every day - much less even work at the pound when they get euthanized.
You wouldn't have to pay me either.
Old 10-05-11, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I can't imagine it being disturbing.
Sorry but that's because you're not normal...at least when it comes to pets. I don't know why you bother posting in threads like this. We all know how you feel about pets and dogs in particular. I'm not trying to offend you but I imagine that the OP is looking for insight from people that consider their pets part of the family. We all know you don't have that mindset. I find it laughable that you can't understand why people would be disturbed by the act of putting down their pet. You really don't understand why that would bother people? Come on man.
Old 10-05-11, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You wouldn't have to pay me either.
Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
Sorry but that's because you're not normal...at least when it comes to pets. I don't know why you bother posting in threads like this. We all know how you feel about pets and dogs in particular. I'm not trying to offend you but I imagine that the OP is looking for insight from people that consider their pets part of the family. We all know you don't have that mindset. I find it laughable that you can't understand why people would be disturbed by the act of putting down their pet. You really don't understand why that would bother people? Come on man.
+1
Exactly Dave, not the right place for this. Inappropriate.
Old 10-05-11, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When I was a teen, we had to put my dog down. I went with my dad and we both left the room when he was put down. I regretted it ever since. When my cat had to be put down 2 years ago, I was there with him as they did it. It was nice to be there and I'd do it for any other animal I've had.
Old 10-05-11, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lighten up on kvrdave, guys. I love animals but I can still get a chuckle out of his humor. And it's not like Otter is some bastion of decorum.

To the OP: Yes, I have stayed with two animals being put down, a dog and a cat. I would prefer to be there to the very end, that's the last gift I can give to a beloved pet who brought me a lot of joy and happiness during his or her life. As others have said, they pretty much just go limp in your arms and that's it. And yes, you're going to cry. Why shouldn't you? You will be grieving.

Like I said, it's the last best gift for a sick or aged animal who isn't going to get well. Do it with love.
Old 10-05-11, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with you Vibiana on Dave but he made one post, ok we get it, then the second one was a little bit more than was needed. Just sayin' is all.
Can there be one topic, a safe haven about losing a beloved pet dog without Someone coming in and saying "meh, just kill him. He is just a lousy dog."
Old 10-05-11, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
I think you misunderstood what I meant. "I can't imagine finding it disturbing" in the sense that it is a very calm experience physically. The animals don't spasm, etc. They go peacefully. I figured that was the type of insight the OP was looking for, because that is a natural fear of someone who hasn't been through the experience before.

But if your goal was to make me cry......I hope you're happy!
Old 10-05-11, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
I agree with you Vibiana on Dave but he made one post, ok we get it, then the second one was a little bit more than was needed. Just sayin' is all.
Can there be one topic, a safe haven about losing a beloved pet dog without Someone coming in and saying "meh, just kill him. He is just a lousy dog."
I thought I offered genuine insight in the first post, and lightened the mood with the second.
Old 10-05-11, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you misunderstood what I meant. "I can't imagine finding it disturbing" in the sense that it is a very calm experience physically. The animals don't spasm, etc. They go peacefully. I figured that was the type of insight the OP was looking for, because that is a natural fear of someone who hasn't been through the experience before.

There you go. Redeemed.
Old 10-05-11, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry dude. I did misunderstand. Just hit a bit of a nerve I guess.
Old 10-05-11, 12:56 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was there for both of my dogs. They went peacefully. When the injection took effect (5 seconds), they just let out a deep breath and went to sleep - the vet "warned" me about that so I wouldn't think they were in pain.

You want to plan ahead of time what you want to do with the bodies of the pets. The basic options are burial and cremation with or without ash return, and have different costs. In that emotional state, you might make a wrong decision.
Old 10-05-11, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had to with a 16 year old cat. I did not like being there, but am of the type that couldn't not be there for him in his time of need. Be warned, it is not at all like you're led to believe. It is not an, "Oh, he/she will just got to sleep in your lap" experience. It's instantaneous. Like someone flicked a light switch and your pet is just turned off. I did not expect that at all, and truth be told it was somewhat traumatic at the time, and something I'll never forget. Letting that be done to him alone I feel would have been worse though.
Old 10-05-11, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The one time I used a vet (grandmother's dog, the day she died), I didn't want to be present simply because I had other things to do and I trusted the vet to do his job and to take care of the corpse.

All of my own pets - either they died of natural causes, or I personally put them "to sleep".
Old 10-05-11, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My cat had a prolapsed rectum earlier this year. It was terrifying-- like her intestines were starting to come out of her. So I took her and the kids on a midnight trip to the emergency vet. There, we found out that we could spend a bajillion dollars and she would most likely die anyway. So, we put her to sleep because I didn't have a thousand dollars, much less a bajillion. It was one of the saddest things I ever had to do, not just because my kitty died, but because my kids were wailing about it the whole time. I don't regret staying there for the whole thing, and I'm also glad I let my kids stay. As awful as it was, we all had our goodbye and Music wasn't alone when she died.

Damn, now I'm crying. Yeah, it was really pretty upsetting.
Old 10-05-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is definitely the wrong thread to start the day with and I feel for everybody who lost a friend. We had to put our cat to sleep last year and my wife stayed with him. She brought him back home and we buried him in the backyard. He was a great cat and I still tear up when I think of that cold sad December day. I never thought I would get so attached to a pet.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.