Reload this Page >

Question for those who have put their animal to sleep

Other Talk "Otterville"

Question for those who have put their animal to sleep

Old 10-06-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Question for those who have put their animal to sleep

Been there. Done that a few times. The animal doesn't know what is going on and the death is very quick.
Old 10-07-11, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schloob1 View Post
Also, and the most important thing to note. Unless you have a child that is real smart and understands what is going to happen, DO NOT bring them along. Have them say their "good-byes" at home. A child under the age of say 10 should not have this sort of "life experience". I cannot even begin to count how many children have been traumatized by this experience. Yes, they will get over it eventually BUT rarely have I seen a young child during this take it well at all, and sometimes it get even cause the animal undue stress BEFORE the actual shot takes place.
When we had our friend Mr. Orange the cat euthanized last month, we had our sitter watch our 4 year old for an hour or so, then we picked him up and went home.

He and my husband dug a grave and I put Orange's body on the kitchen floor and unwrapped the towel a bit so our other 3 cats could give their respects. His best friend, our 1.5 year old cat Trillian, groomed him and I know she still misses him. Our son came in and at first said a few times that he [cat] has food stuck in his heart and then it went to he's dead and can't wake up.

He went back outside and finished up the digging, then we wrapped him in a shroud and pet his fur graveside and said goodbye. We put him in and gently sprinkled dirt over him and told him we loved him and our son sprinkled earth and said I'll miss you so much and then we finished the burial.

It was very sweet for us as his parents to see him handling this process and I'm glad for the kitchen moments with his body and the burial, as it explained the process of death so much more than any words I could have said or books I could have read.

I will say that when I first told him that Mr. Orange was dying, after we found out it was cancer, he was alarmed and yelled no I don't want my cat to die and ran for Trillian. Orange didn't much care for kids due to issues that happened prior to his coming to live with us, so he and Jacob weren't close at all. It might have been horrible for him if it were Trillian.

Gosh I know I felt cheated that Mr. Orange passed at 10 years of age, I can't imagine how angry people feel when their very young pets pass.
Old 10-12-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bleh...

The vet found a large tumor on our dog's back leg...SHe found cells in it that were inconsistant with what a fatty tumor looks like....she wants to take another sample so she can get a 2nd opinion...
Old 10-13-11, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had to have our "dog" cat put down in May. If your animal doesn't like riding in a car I *highly* recommend checking into someone who will do it in your home. That is my main regret in our case. I also wouldn't even consider leaving her alone for that, but everyone handles grief differently.
Old 10-13-11, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Yes, twice, it is very peaceful. They just sort of pass out. It's nice to be stroking their ears and talking to them when they leave the earth. You will bawl.
Exactly correct. Glad I was there but cried like a baby.
Old 10-13-11, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by beavismom View Post
Just had to have our "dog" cat put down in May. If your animal doesn't like riding in a car I *highly* recommend checking into someone who will do it in your home. That is my main regret in our case. I also wouldn't even consider leaving her alone for that, but everyone handles grief differently.
Well I have already made up my mind to be there with her when the time comes. I was just wondering what to expect other than the bawling. I would love if my vet could come to the house because she really loves it at the vet and it would kill me even more to see her so happy to be there. Going to go give her love right now...