Reload this Page >

Donald Lapre "King of Infomercials" charged with fraud, found dead in jail cell

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-03-11, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good start. Now if "Natural Cures they don't want you to know about" pitchman Kevin Trudeau followed suit...

Donald Lapre, Ariz. TV pitchman charged with fraud, found dead in jail cell
By Crimesider

Donald Lapre
(Credit: KPHO) (CBS/KPHO/AP) PHOENIX - Phoenix-based TV pitchman Donald Lapre, who was charged with running a nationwide scheme to sell essentially worthless Internet-based businesses, was found dead in his jail cell Sunday morning, according to authorities.

U.S. Marshall Service Spokesman Matt Hershey confirmed to CBS affiliate KPHO that Lapre killed himself, though his death is still under investigation. His trial was scheduled to begin Tuesday.

Lapre was arrested June 24 in Tempe, Ariz. by the U.S. Marshals Service after failing to appear a day earlier for his arraignment, reports the station.

A grand jury indicted the 46-year-old on 41 counts of conspiracy, mail fraud, wire fraud and promotional money laundering. He was accused of overseeing and promoting the opportunity through his company called "The Greatest Vitamin in the World."

The government says at least 220,000 victims in the scheme were defrauded of nearly $52 million
Old 10-03-11, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Donald Lapre "King of Infomercials" charged with fraud, found dead in jail cell

There's only one King of Informercials, and his name is Ron Popeil.
Set it and forget it.
Old 10-03-11, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Donald Lapre "King of Infomercials" charged with fraud, found dead in jail cell

He found a way out from rotting in jail.
Old 10-03-11, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He had tried to kill himself before by stabbing at his groin in order to bleed out from his femoral artery.

At least one of his commercials was worth checking out with the center-cleavage shots from the presenters.
Old 10-03-11, 07:07 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.donlapre.com/

suicide note?
Old 10-03-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Was it left in one of those tiny little ads he placed in the paper?
Old 10-03-11, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Never seen him before.
Old 10-03-11, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
Never seen him before.
You must not flip through channels at 4 am.
Old 10-03-11, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Set it and forget it.
Old 10-03-11, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk God

The government killed him because he was giving out information they don't want us to know about.
Old 10-03-11, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Set it and forget it.
Yea. When I saw the thread title, I was like, "WOW, that guy!". But I never saw this kid.

I'm interested in hearing his story. Sounds like the poor guy just had a bad lawyer and didn't write in enough disclosures. There's BS vitamins all over the place. He must not have had a good team of lawyers look over his advertising and disclaimers.

Same with selling worthless internet companies. Unless he was making up his own financial numbers, I don't know what he could have been hiding.

Still. Suicide? Why? Go to Country Club Jail for a few years and file for bankruptcy. There's life after that shit. Wonder what would drive a guy to kill himself like that.
Old 10-03-11, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I remember that dick's infomercials on all the time at the restaurant the managers would go to after the cinema closed for the night.
Old 10-03-11, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm with troystiffler. Would've only got about a few years in prison. Maybe 5 max. He must have believed te Feds when they told him he was up for the death penalty, and is parents would be forced to pay the bill for his incarceration.
Old 10-03-11, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Everytime I open up my classifieds, I think about all the people making millions of dollars...

Don Lapre
Old 10-03-11, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I'm with troystiffler. Would've only got about a few years in prison. Maybe 5 max. He must have believed te Feds when they told him he was up for the death penalty, and is parents would be forced to pay the bill for his incarceration.
Either that or maybe he grew a conscience after ripping off thousands of people...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mubCkCAEiDQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nah.
Old 10-03-11, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Didn't know he was in jail, but I'm not surprised.
Old 10-03-11, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Either that or maybe he grew a conscience after ripping off thousands of people...
Really, really stupid people.
Old 10-03-11, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Never liked this man. The first time I ever saw an informercial, it was one of his. I instantly disliked him. He oozed slimy, degenerate con man.

The world is better off without him.
Old 10-04-11, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
Really, really stupid people.
No shit:

From: http://www.ripoffreport.com/infomerc...he-g-9ebbc.htm

I did see the infomercial on TV at 0200 or 0300 in the morning. I had recently been laid off, but I had my emergency savings, which I chose to invest in his company. Health and fitness has always been a thriving trend for Americans, so I thought that his offer and company were legitimate. Needless to say, I paid for the ultimate package up-front for $3000 and spent $1500 later on as I tried to pay for advertisement and a service that was supposed to drive business to my site.

I mean, seriously. $4500? Jesus Christ sipping cocktails in the Arizona sun. I'm surprised this person manages to breath oxygen without paying for it from a grifter on the street, thinking they got a deal.
Old 10-04-11, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I checked out a couple of videos. I couldn't help but think of time share salesmen.
Old 10-04-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar View Post

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mubCkCAEiDQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nah.
1. I still have no idea what the hell he was trying to sell. Tiny classified ad space?!
2. What, was that filmed on a fucking boat!? I'm seasick after watching that!
Old 10-04-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga

Apparently he tried it before:

"On June 27, 2011, Lapre was arrested at a Life Time Fitness location in Tempe, Arizona, with serious self-inflicted knife wounds to his groin, and had reportedly lived in the Life Time Fitness location for two days. The wounds led authorities to believe Lapre was trying to commit suicide while at the Lifetime fitness center by attempting to sever the femoral artery in his legs."
Old 10-04-11, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Apparently, someone mentioned that earlier in the thread.
Old 10-04-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
^ Was it left in one of those tiny little ads he placed in the paper?
Yea I never really understood that. Wasn't it just put an add in the paper and ask someone to send you a $1.00 for the secret to make money or something like that? I suppose enough dumb asses send in a dollar and millions ensue.

Last edited by d2cheer; 10-04-11 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-04-11, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
Apparently, someone mentioned that earlier in the thread.
My humblest apologies. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.