Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So now it's bad for kids to be good at sports?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-01-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C9a_-UKYdNs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C9a_-UKYdNs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

In the continuing attempt to make this country as soft as possible, there’s now the “Madre Hill” rule. A rule that prohibits young players from scoring too many touchdowns.

Meet 11-year-old running back, Demias Jimerson, who plays in Arkansas’ Wilson Intermediate League. Jimerson is so good that the league implemented a little known rule named after Arkansas Razorbacks great, Madre Hill. If a player has already scored three touchdowns and his team has a 14-point lead, then he’s banned from the endzone.

I’m somewhat confused here. If Jimerson gets close to the goal line, is he supposed to fall down and do snow angels or is there some kind of invisible fence that shocks him and prevents him from scoring?

Inquiring minds want to know.

However, all is not bad in the world of Jimerson. In seven years, Bret Bielema will ask him to come into the fourth quarter against Austin Peay up 63-3. And after his touchdown, Bielema will tell him to go for two…you know, because the card told him to.

6th grade football player hit with “Madre Hill Rule” [Fox 16]
Source
Old 10-01-11, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: So now it's bad for kids to be good at sports?

Diana Moon Glampers approved.
Old 10-01-11, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Dolphins should sign him.
Old 10-01-11, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with letting other kids have a chance to score (other than with a teacher) but I think 14 point lead is still close.
Old 10-01-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just another example of idiots sheltering their kids from the world. In real life, no one more talented than you is going to step aside and say "no, you go ahead." They should use this kid to make others step up their game instead of punishing him.
Old 10-01-11, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I agree with letting other kids have a chance to score
If the other kids were more talented they would score.
Old 10-01-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

just trying to keep the black kids down
Old 10-02-11, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's it. I resign. I'm not going to be a human being any more. If you want me, I'll be under a rock.
Old 10-02-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
In real life, no one more talented than you is going to step aside and say "no, you go ahead."
Actually, in real life that happens all the time.
Old 10-02-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Bielema line is awesome.

What a stupid rule
Old 10-02-11, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have kids, so I'm not up on sporting culture. Is the reason people have their 11 year old kids play sports to learn teamwork, good sportsmanship, and to have fun, or is it to teach them to win at any cost?

I understand that by the time they reach high school, a competitive sports program accepts losing a certain percentage of student athletes to permanent injuries, if the goal is to get the best of them into a top sports college. By then, winning is everything. But how early does that attitude start?
Old 10-02-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Much like legislation on bank fees that result in other fees instead of what the legislation actually wanted, this will lead to this kid running the ball to the 1 yard line and out of bounds. And after a few games of that, the league will try to figure out some new rule.
Old 10-02-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't mind some of these kind of rules, but this one seems extra stupid.
Old 10-02-11, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I agree with letting other kids have a chance to score (other than with a teacher) but I think 14 point lead is still close.
When I played peewee football, it was the coaches who made that decision. My head coach would make sure everyone got a chance to play whether they were scoring machines or booger eaters who just like to sit and play with the grass. I'm not sure I agree that there should be a rule against a kid playing.

kvrdave is right, if that kid's team and coaches are so hung up on winning they'll find a loophole that allows this kid to run 99 yards of the field and then put Fatty Fatterson in to fall over the 68lb. Defensive line for the last yard.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 10-02-11 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-02-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
they'll find a loophole that allows this kid to run 99 yards of the field and then put Fatty Fatterson in to fall over the 68lb. Defensive line for the last yard.
This thread is full of awesome
Old 10-02-11, 02:39 PM
Banned

Just another example of idiots sheltering their kids from the world. In real life, no one more talented than you is going to step aside and say "no, you go ahead." They should use this kid to make others step up their game instead of punishing him.
It's not the idiots . It's the same bunch that likes to give out trophies to 1st & last place. The same group that did away with dodge ball.
Guess who I'm talking about?
Old 10-02-11, 03:00 PM

If this is a rec league where parents are paying for their kids to play, I dont have a problem with it. Everyone wants their own kid to have a change to score. They arnt saying this kid cant play. They are saying If a player has already scored three touchdowns and his team has a 14-point lead, then he’s banned from the endzone. It seems to me like this kid is a ball hog. If this kid is that good, bump him up to the next age group.

Last edited by Me007gold; 10-02-11 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-02-11, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sport at any level is about competition. Starting around 20 years ago, youth sports became less about teaching children to compete successfully and more about the parents using it as a babysitter while both parents work. It's not a coincidence that our culture became overly protective of children as women entered the work force.

There are lessons to be learned in youth sports when children meet other children with vastly superior talents to their own.
Old 10-02-11, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea. This is stupid. You get the ball to the kid who scores. The kid is the benchmark and the coach should be working to make the other players as good as him.

My sister used to play kid's softball. And I remember that there were individual players and teams that would just annihilate other teams.

In life, you're supposed to set a benchmark and then ask everyone to achieve that mark. Now, with so much hippie shit going on in the world, kids are taught to fit in with the rest and do as little as possible to get by.
Old 10-02-11, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
Yea. This is stupid. You get the ball to the kid who scores. The kid is the benchmark and the coach should be working to make the other players as good as him.
How can they get better if they this kid is getting all of the touches?
Old 10-02-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is all about the jealous parents that don't have that kid on their fantasy teams.
Old 10-02-11, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
It's not the idiots . It's the same bunch that likes to give out trophies to 1st & last place. The same group that did away with dodge ball.
Guess who I'm talking about?
The Illuminati?
Old 10-02-11, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Actually, in real life that happens all the time.
I wish I lived in your world then. I've never had anything handed to me without having to work for it. And teaching kids that you don't have to work harder to improve yourself and your abilities, and instead simply removing the obstacle so everyone can feel equal when they're not... yeah. Great lesson there.
Old 10-02-11, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish I lived in your world then. I've never had anything handed to me without having to work for it.
Really? You've never been in a basic business hierarchy before? You must work in a highly specialized field.
Old 10-02-11, 11:16 PM

No specialized field. Just retail then restaurant and now writing. But I don't recall a single time in my life that a more qualified person than myself applied for a position I wanted, then said "You know what? I'm WAY too good at this job. I'm going to step aside. Why don't you take it?"

That's all I'm saying.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.