Reload this Page >

Parents are Such Wimps These Days!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-28-11, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is pretty crazy. My cousin who is a police officer in DFW posted this on his FB:

ME: Good morning...Police Department, Officer Cannon may I help you? CALLER: A friend told me to call you, my son is out of control. He is tearing up the house and screaming. He is kicking and swearing at me and being horrible. ME: are you injured? CALLER: No but I cant stop him and he wont go to school. ME: Is he under the influence of any drug or alcohol? CALLER: Of course not, he is only 6 years old. ME: (long silent pause) So your 6 year old son is out of control, swearing at you ad wont go to school? CALLER: Yes! ME: Uh...ok maam... Time to be a parent..! People never cease to amaze me.

Geez louise, since when did parents bow down to their kids and let them do this shit? If I pulled this crap when I was a kid, my dad would rip his belt off in one quick swoop and blister my rear end. I did get a few whippings and the fear of my dad kept me in line. It's called tough love, and it taught me to respect my elders.

Apparently the generation is gone where kids used to obey their parents, and said yes ma'am, yes sir to other adults.
Old 09-28-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Parents are Such Wimps These Days!

Because now if the parent did whip that brat, your cousin would have to call child services to rescue the poor brat.
Old 09-28-11, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got spankings as well. Also the belt a few times (but not beatings).

I recently saw a woman in the grocery store trying to reason with her two year-old who was having a tantrum.
Old 09-28-11, 10:03 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

That's it. Next time my 5-year old niece gets bossy when we're playing with barbies, I'm calling the cops.
Old 09-28-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes, these days.
Old 09-28-11, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asabase View Post
Because now if the parent did whip that brat, your cousin would have to call child services to rescue the poor brat.
Exactly. As a parent, you really have to be careful in what you do and/or say when disciplining your child. If you were to actually physically discipline your child, the odds are good that somehow Child Services would be called in. Its not so much that today's parents are wimps, its that everyone is somehow involved in your business.
Old 09-28-11, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cops in DFW man the phones?
Old 09-28-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the parent needs an ass beating almost as much as the kid.
Old 09-28-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The pussification of America continues. Just today on my way to work I saw 3 different groups of kids standing at the bus stop and each group had at least one parent with them. And it's not like the bus stops are at the ends of dirt roads or anything. They're right in the neighborhood within earshot of about 2 dozen houses. AND the parent actually lives in the house right there, so the parent lives 50 feet away from the bus stop and STILL goes and stands next to the kids while they wait for the bus. I'm not talking about 5 year olds here either. They look to be 8 or 9 years old.

I'm only 30 but when I was a kid, my parents just shoved me out the door and I walked probably a quarter mile away to the bus stop. There were only like 2 houses visible and there sure as shit weren't any parents standing there with us. Then sometimes I'd walk hom or I'd walk to baseball practice or ride my bike. I guarantee there were pedofiles and crazies 20 years ago too. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that things are no more dangerous now for a kid than they were 20 years ago, but parents act like if their kids wanders away for 10 seconds there's a 100% chance of him/her getting snatched.
Old 09-28-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Yes, these days.
Agreed, I'd say it's been going on 15-20 years at least. It seems when I was growing up in the 80s/90s (born in 83) there were still quite a few parents who knew how to discipline their kids, but I could definitely see it getting worse as I grew older. By about the turn of the century it really was starting to get ridiculous.

I never got a belt, but was spanked plenty, and living on a farm made made it easy for my parents to keep me in line...want to act like an asshole? Fine, go shovel some cow shit out of the barn.
Old 09-28-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
I'm only 30 but when I was a kid, my parents just shoved me out the door and I walked probably a quarter mile away to the bus stop. There were only like 2 houses visible and there sure as shit weren't any parents standing there with us. Then sometimes I'd walk hom or I'd walk to baseball practice or ride my bike. I guarantee there were pedofiles and crazies 20 years ago too. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that things are no more dangerous now for a kid than they were 20 years ago, but parents act like if their kids wanders away for 10 seconds there's a 100% chance of him/her getting snatched.
One of the most infamous kidnappings in Iowa happened across the street from the backyard of the house we moved into when I was in high school. In one of the nicest neighborhoods in the state.

I'm not saying that kids should all be kept indoors and protected at all times, but speaking as a parent with two small children in 2011, it can be tough to simply "shove them out the door" and forget about them. If I can keep an eye on them, I do. Because in the back of your mind, you always think that the one time you don't watch them is the one time something happens. I know it's not a healthy way to live, but at the same time bad things DO happen and the possibility of it happening to your kid can be hard to deal with.
Old 09-28-11, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
The pussification of America continues. Just today on my way to work I saw 3 different groups of kids standing at the bus stop and each group had at least one parent with them. And it's not like the bus stops are at the ends of dirt roads or anything. They're right in the neighborhood within earshot of about 2 dozen houses. AND the parent actually lives in the house right there, so the parent lives 50 feet away from the bus stop and STILL goes and stands next to the kids while they wait for the bus. I'm not talking about 5 year olds here either. They look to be 8 or 9 years old.

This reminds of Brad Stine's bit on the wussification of America lol

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VgNWqt_t1i4?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VgNWqt_t1i4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

I agree totally. Do kids even climb trees anymore? I had a great country childhood. I loved climbing trees especially this cedar one next to the church building. I could climb higher than the church rooftop, and adults didn't freak out about it back then. I spent summers exploring backroads and trails on my bike often by myself, no cell or GPS device back then either. I go explore deep in the woods and stay gone for hours and come back caked in mud. My parents only were bothered if I tracked mud in the house. Good time. Sad kids today are too sheltered.
Old 09-28-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Think of the children. And then, beat them.
Old 09-28-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Daughter loves climbing trees. She's only 5, so I'm part of the wussification problem in America and am there to catch her if she falls though.
Old 09-28-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Do kids even climb trees anymore?
Doubtful. I guess there have always been new subdivisions with no mature trees, but now that I live in one it's sad to almost never see kids out playing. No tree climbing or tire swings. I'm sure even when kids do live around mature trees, a lot of them spend a lot more time inside on the computer, playing video games, and watching TV.
Old 09-28-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
My Daughter loves climbing trees. She's only 5, so I'm part of the wussification problem in America and am there to catch her if she falls though.
No you're not. You let her climb!
Old 09-28-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Think of the children. And then, beat them.

In seriousness, however, overprotective parenting is not new. My parents were a lot stricter with me (their youngest child and only girl) than a lot of my friends' parents when it came to stuff like walking up to the convenience store or going out alone. I wasn't allowed to trick-or-treat at Halloween, ever. Even though my brothers could. I stayed home in my costume and handed out candy. I remember being pissed about that. (this was in the late 60s/early 70s).

And I can identify with Draven even though I haven't raised kids. I think it would be really hard to resist being overprotective with all the horrible stuff that goes on today, although I think "stranger danger" has been overhyped by the media, since most kids who get hurt, get hurt by their parents or caregivers.
Old 09-28-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I'm not saying that kids should all be kept indoors and protected at all times, but speaking as a parent with two small children in 2011, it can be tough to simply "shove them out the door" and forget about them. If I can keep an eye on them, I do. Because in the back of your mind, you always think that the one time you don't watch them is the one time something happens. I know it's not a healthy way to live, but at the same time bad things DO happen and the possibility of it happening to your kid can be hard to deal with.
Agreed 100%. I let my son do his thing, but my wife or I are usually around to keep an eye on him.
Old 09-28-11, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
One of the most infamous kidnappings in Iowa happened across the street from the backyard of the house we moved into when I was in high school. In one of the nicest neighborhoods in the state.

<-- grew up in the same general neighborhood

Yeah, I don't have a problem with parents waiting at the bus stop with their kids. I don't like letting my son out of my sight in public places. Things seem a lot scarier today than they were when we were kids.

But the original OP's kid should be smacked, and then his parents should be smacked.
Old 09-28-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do kids even climb trees anymore?
Not unless there's an app that helps them with that.
Old 09-28-11, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
Exactly. As a parent, you really have to be careful in what you do and/or say when disciplining your child. If you were to actually physically discipline your child, the odds are good that somehow Child Services would be called in. Its not so much that today's parents are wimps, its that everyone is somehow involved in your business.
This^

if your kid goes to school with a visible mark of any type there is a full investigation done by the school

If your kid even exaggeratedly says, my dad will beat me, etc, you are marked to be further watched. it is unbelievably amazing what goes on.
Old 09-28-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is pretty crazy. My cousin who is a police officer in DFW posted this on his FB:

ME: Good morning...Police Department, Officer Cannon may I help you? CALLER: A friend told me to call you, my son is out of control. He is tearing up the house and screaming. He is kicking and swearing at me and being horrible. ME: are you injured? CALLER: No but I cant stop him and he wont go to school. ME: Is he under the influence of any drug or alcohol? CALLER: Of course not, he is only 6 years old. ME: (long silent pause) So your 6 year old son is out of control, swearing at you ad wont go to school? CALLER: Yes! ME: Uh...ok maam... Time to be a parent..! People never cease to amaze me.

Geez louise, since when did parents bow down to their kids and let them do this shit? If I pulled this crap when I was a kid, my dad would rip his belt off in one quick swoop and blister my rear end. I did get a few whippings and the fear of my dad kept me in line. It's called tough love, and it taught me to respect my elders.

Apparently the generation is gone where kids used to obey their parents, and said yes ma'am, yes sir to other adults.
Parents are afraid to act like parents, they want to act like buddy parents. Kids need balance and structure.

You go to the grocery store, or anywhere, and you see kids going crazy and the parents just ignoring them.
Old 09-28-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Meglos View Post
Not unless there's an app that helps them with that.
Old 09-28-11, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just a good kid. I recall a few things where I questioned, "really". One was when I accidently broke a Last Supper frame. One was when I biked too far from home (looking back, I lived in the mountains and could have been raped and tortured - or vice versa - by some of my hillbilly neighbors). And one time I remember that I dropped a Subway sandwich and it went all of the kitchen floor - my mom must have been agry about something else because I remember getting a good verbal lashing over it.

My parents are either really lucky, or secretly hold the key to parenting.
Old 09-28-11, 05:19 PM
Political Exile

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.nysun.com/opinion/why-i-l...y-alone/73976/

Why I Let My 9-Year-Old Ride the Subway Alone

By LENORE SKENAZY

April 1, 2008

I left my 9-year-old at Bloomingdale's (the original one) a couple weeks ago. Last seen, he was in first floor handbags as I sashayed out the door.

Bye-bye! Have fun!

And he did. He came home on the subway and bus by himself.

Was I worried? Yes, a tinge. But it didn't strike me as that daring, either. Isn't New York as safe now as it was in 1963? It's not like we're living in downtown Baghdad.

Anyway, for weeks my boy had been begging for me to please leave him somewhere, anywhere, and let him try to figure out how to get home on his own. So on that sunny Sunday I gave him a subway map, a MetroCard, a $20 bill, and several quarters, just in case he had to make a call.

No, I did not give him a cell phone. Didn't want to lose it. And no, I didn't trail him, like a mommy private eye. I trusted him to figure out that he should take the Lexington Avenue subway down, and the 34th Street crosstown bus home. If he couldn't do that, I trusted him to ask a stranger. And then I even trusted that stranger not to think, "Gee, I was about to catch my train home, but now I think I'll abduct this adorable child instead."

Long story short: My son got home, ecstatic with independence.

Long story longer, and analyzed, to boot: Half the people I've told this episode to now want to turn me in for child abuse. As if keeping kids under lock and key and helmet and cell phone and nanny and surveillance is the right way to rear kids. It's not. It's debilitating for us and for them.

And yet

"How would you have felt if he didn't come home?" a New Jersey mom of four, Vicki Garfinkle, asked.

Guess what, Ms. Garfinkle: I'd have been devastated. But would that just prove that no mom should ever let her child ride the subway alone?

No. It would just be one more awful but extremely rare example of random violence, the kind that hyper parents cite as proof that every day in every way our children are more and more vulnerable.

"Carlie Brucia I don't know if you're familiar with that case or not, but she was in Florida and she did a cut-through about a mile from her house and midday, at 11 in the morning, she was abducted by a guy who violated her several times, killed her, and left her behind a church."

That's the story that the head of safetynet4kids.com, Katharine Francis, immediately told me when I asked her what she thought of my son getting around on his own. She runs a company that makes wallet-sized copies of a child's photo and fingerprints, just in case.

Well of course I know the story of Carlie Brucia. That's the problem. We all know that story and the one about the Mormon girl in Utah and the one about the little girl in Spain and because we do, we all run those tapes in our heads when we think of leaving our kids on their own. We even run a tape of how we'd look on Larry King.

"I do not want to be the one on TV explaining my daughter's disappearance," a father, Garth Chouteau, said when we were talking about the subway issue.

These days, when a kid dies, the world i.e., cable TV blames the parents. It's simple as that. And yet, Trevor Butterworth, a spokesman for the research center STATS.org, said, "The statistics show that this is an incredibly rare event, and you can't protect people from very rare events. It would be like trying to create a shield against being struck by lightning."

Justice Department data actually show the number of children abducted by strangers has been going down over the years. So why not let your kids get home from school by themselves?

"Parents are in the grip of anxiety and when you're anxious, you're totally warped," the author of "A Nation of Wimps," Hara Estroff Marano, said. We become so bent out of shape over something as simple as letting your children out of sight on the playground that it starts seeming on par with letting them play on the railroad tracks at night. In the rain. In dark non-reflective coats.

The problem with this everything-is-dangerous outlook is that over-protectiveness is a danger in and of itself. A child who thinks he can't do anything on his own eventually can't.

Meantime, my son wants his next trip to be from Queens. In my day, I doubt that would have struck anyone as particularly brave. Now it seems like hitchhiking through Yemen.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.