Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

If given the choice of Jesus or Jail, which would you choose?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Jesus or Jail?
Jesus
60.47%
Jail
39.53%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-11, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alabama Town Gives Offenders a Choice: Jesus or Jail

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/09/24/...#ixzz1Z04QvOvD

Given the choice between jail and church, which would you choose?

The small southern Alabama town of Bay Minette is giving non-violent offenders a chance to pick between lockup and the Lord.

Beginning next week, Operation ROC (Restore Our Community) will have a city judge offer those found guilty of misdemeanors the choice between working off their offenses in jail and paying a fine or attending the church of their choice every week for a year. WKRG-TV in Mobile, Ala., reported 56 churches in North Baldwin County are participating in the program.

If offenders pick church, it doesn't necessarily guarantee eternal salvation, but they can check in each week with the pastor or the police department. If the program is completed successfully their case will be dropped.

Bay Minette Police Chief Mike Rowland says it costs his department about $75 a day to jail offenders, so the ROC program is cost-effective. "Longevity is the key," he explained in a television interview. "A 30-day drug program doesn't work. A 30-day alcohol program does not work. But long-term programs to do work, and we believe that's what'll happen here."

Rowland says that there is no separation of church and state boundary crossed here, but to be sure, NewsFeed called Notre Dame law professor Rick Garnett, an expert on constitutional law. He said it could look to a court that government is pushing the convicted into a religious option if there is not a secular choice as well.

"A lot of times in church-state cases, the lines aren't so crisp and clean," he told TIME. "This looks more like the kind of case where courts have been very cautious about pressuring people."
I'm not sure how this can be legal, especially with no option for non-believers or non-Christian faiths.
Old 09-25-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: If given the choice of Jesus or Jail, which would you choose?

There are "non-Christian" faiths in Alabama?
Old 09-25-11, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just stop by church to get out of criminal punishment? That's it? That sounds even easier (and cheaper) than the "tent city" punishment that EVERYONE gets here in Phoenix.

"Oh yes, Mr Pastor. I've seen the light and the future path of my ways. I am redeemed!" Religous folks will believe anything you shovel at them. Like ants, they are.
Old 09-25-11, 05:34 PM
Banned by request

Can't wait to see this one get shot down unless they provide an alternative for other faiths/non-believers.
Old 09-25-11, 05:37 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be a tough one. While I definitely would NOT want to spend time in jail (been there, done that, was NOT impressed) and pay out who knows how much in fines, going to church 52 times and listening to some guy tell me things I KNOW are fairy tales would be a tough pill to swallow, but I think I could do church if I took earplugs with me... -kd5-
Old 09-25-11, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Can't wait to see this one get shot down unless they provide an alternative for other faiths/non-believers.
Why? I want to see it go through. It's a cheap alternative to jailing people for DUI, domestic disputes, posession, etc. Everyone complains that we spend too much money on criminals. And any non-believer with half a brain can just pretend to interested and get off scot free. Seems like a win-win situation.
Old 09-25-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pick Jesus then file a separation of church/state complaint. Any fool can see that is the way to go.
Old 09-25-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Silly question, who would be stupid enough to pick jail?

That said, it would think and hope this was illegal.
Old 09-25-11, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a difference?
Old 09-25-11, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
There are "non-Christian" faiths in Alabama?
No, that's why you have to pick a church. But you can be any flavor of Christian that has a building in town.
Old 09-25-11, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jail.
Old 09-25-11, 08:00 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
Why? I want to see it go through. It's a cheap alternative to jailing people for DUI, domestic disputes, posession, etc. Everyone complains that we spend too much money on criminals. And any non-believer with half a brain can just pretend to interested and get off scot free. Seems like a win-win situation.
Again, I want to see it shot down if the only option is to attend a Church. If it could be Church or Temple or your local chapter of Proud Atheists, I think this is a very good idea. My issue is that it may be used as only an out for Christians.
Old 09-25-11, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
There's a difference?
Old 09-25-11, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You could argue that the non-Christian alternative is going to jail, I guess.
Old 09-25-11, 09:01 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by solipsta View Post
You could argue that the non-Christian alternative is going to jail, I guess.
You could argue it. It still wouldn't be legal, but you could argue it.
Old 09-25-11, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jesus.

For 6 days and 23 hours I can live life however I want, and then for that 1 hour a week I go to church and pretend to be a better person. Just like most people who go to church.
Old 09-25-11, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Telling a criminal that he has a choice between going to jail or going to church is no different than telling a law abiding citizen that if they don't go to church they will go to jail.
Old 09-25-11, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by pedagogue View Post
Jesus.

For 6 days and 23 hours I can live life however I want, and then for that 1 hour a week I go to church and pretend to be a better person. Just like most people who go to church.
This is actually correct. It's in the fine print.
Old 09-25-11, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
Telling a criminal that he has a choice between going to jail or going to church is no different than telling a law abiding citizen that if they don't go to church they will go to jail.
The apple in my hand is red.

My neighbor's corvette is red.

But I think we know common sense tells us my neighbor's corvette is not an apple.
Old 09-26-11, 12:38 AM

What do you do about people like this guy who is already attending church every Sunday?

Music Pastor Arrested for Indecent Exposure, Updated with Arrest Report Information
Posted: Sep 01, 2011 8:02 PM PDT Updated: Sep 15, 2011 7:56 PM PDT
By Brittany Lewis - email

Panama City, Fla. -

The Music Pastor of First Baptist Church in Panama City is facing charges. The Bay County Sheriff's Office jail records say Manuel Garcia was arrested for indecent exposure, a misdemeanor.

According to the Panama City Police Department, undercover officers responded to Joe Moody Harris Park Thursday afternoon in reference to complaints about people exposing their genitals in the park.

The arrest report states that Garcia parked next to two different undercover officers while at the park. Garcia allegedly made hand gestures consistent with masturbating and motioned for one of the officers to come to his vehicle.

The officer says he then rolled down his window and Garcia made the gesture again and motioned for him to get in the car. He then asked the officer what he was doing in the park and the officer told him he was just hanging out.

The officer then asked Garcia if he was looking for anything and he made the same hand gesture and motioned for the officer to get in the vehicle. The officer asked Garcia if he had any money and did not get a response. The officer rolled up his window.

The officer says a short time later Garcia once again made the hand gesture and asked for him to get in the vehicle. The officer rolled down the window and told Garcia he would not get in until he knew what was going on. That's when the officer says Garcia took out his genitals and fondled it.

Garcia was released earlier Thursday after posting his $250 bail.
Link
Old 09-26-11, 12:40 AM

If it was 3 to 6 months I would probably choose church but 1 whole year seems excessive.
Old 09-26-11, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatís really disappointing is that the people who came up with this hair brained idea actually think that the reason someone broke a law is that they donít go to church or that going to church is going to make you a better person.

Of course if given the option I would choose church but you better believe I would be listening to my mp3 player during the service.
Old 09-26-11, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abelkems View Post
I'm not sure how this can be legal, especially with no option for non-believers or non-Christian faiths.
That would've been the Twikoff option, which your poll sadly neglected to include.
Old 09-26-11, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
What’s really disappointing is that the people who came up with this hair brained idea actually think that the reason someone broke a law is that they don’t go to church or that going to church is going to make you a better person.

Of course if given the option I would choose church but you better believe I would be listening to my mp3 player during the service.
You think so? I read it as other options didn't work so the Church Option is being used on a trial basis.

Church is not going to make you a better person--unless you decide you want to change--but I think the point of this trial period, is to put criminals within a different type of crowd, and hopefully, something good will rub off and divert their future criminal potential for things even worse.

True, some will take advantage of this, but if this can be demonstrated to help a minority of diversion applicants, then I'm for it. Regardless of what denomination.

If this works, then great. If it doesn't, then on to the next behavioral ideology.

---

Kind of off-topic, but what REALLY irritates me, is the online inmate websites, where they can communicate with people who have severely poor self-esteem issues and manipulate them into sending them money via services like JPAY. This kind of stuff needs to stop.
Old 09-26-11, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by missflores View Post
What do you do about people like this guy who is already attending church every Sunday?
He has to attend a revival.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.