Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

My Apartment Dilemma

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

My Apartment Dilemma

Old 09-23-11, 07:16 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Apartment Dilemma

Hey guys,

No it's not about the chairs thing again. Actually I am planning on moving to a new city and much nicer apartments. I spent weeks searching and finally found a complex that meets almost all my requirements, has excellent reviews, and friendly staff. They are also offering $49 move in deposit for a limited time so I really need to jump on this asap.

Unfortunately, this move is going to be very costly, and I've been worried for a long time about a burn spot I made on my kitchen floor. They use faux kitchen tiles, and I dropped a hot pan on the floor over a year ago. It immediately melted a half dollar size area to the bottom of my pan.

My fear is these apartments are gonna stick me with a massive bill for damages which I can't afford to pay at once along with the moving cost. Unfortunately, this management refuses to work out any problems with a tenant. I doubt they would even let me do a payment plan.

Does anyone have any idea what damage costs I may be looking at? WOuld they have to rip up the whole floor and replace it? Damn apartments these days use the cheapest material so stuff damages easily and you'll stuck paying for it.
Old 09-23-11, 07:38 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 18,313
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: My Apartment Dilemma

Did you pay a damage deposit up front? From my experience the landlord always kept my entire damage deposit no matter what I did or didn't do. If I fucked the place up and broke everything he'd say, "Your damage deposit should cover it." If I treated the place with kid gloves he'd say, "It's pretty dusty, your damage deposit should just about cover it."
Old 09-23-11, 08:01 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 21,514
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: My Apartment Dilemma

The floor damage is a crapshoot. Don't think it's anything else. It's up to the whim of the person in charge of such things. I've left low end apartments, and have or haven't gotten back my deposit. I've left high end apartments, and have or haven't gotten back my deposit. One place I left three days late, they never billed me. Some apartments might ding you for as much as possible. Some might just ignore it because you were a good, long term resident. Some might keep your deposit. Some might bill you for extra, and do a very cheap repair job. Some might bill you for a lot extra.
Old 09-23-11, 08:09 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 33,898
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: My Apartment Dilemma

I take it it's not possible to replace the tile yourself?
Old 09-23-11, 08:21 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 14,206
Likes: 0
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: My Apartment Dilemma

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Did you pay a damage deposit up front? From my experience the landlord always kept my entire damage deposit no matter what I did or didn't do. If I fucked the place up and broke everything he'd say, "Your damage deposit should cover it." If I treated the place with kid gloves he'd say, "It's pretty dusty, your damage deposit should just about cover it."
^ Yep. I left my first apartment in almost the same condition it started in. I steam cleaned the carpet, wiped down every spot of dust, and left no holes in the walls. I was spending pretty much every night at my girlfriends house almost immediately after I signed my lease. By the time my lease was up I was living with her and they still took my entire deposit (plus $75 for carpet cleaning!)

My last apartment, I wiped it down and vacuumed but had a puppy while I was living there and he, at one point, chewed a silver dollar sized hole in the middle of the living room carpet and tore up the wall a little by the sliding glass door (I patched the hole but never got around to touching up the paint). So I assumed I wasn't going to get out with my deposit. Even though I was there for 7 years and knew they were going to replace the carpet and repaint the walls regardless, they still took my deposit.
Old 09-24-11, 12:08 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: My Apartment Dilemma

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
The floor damage is a crapshoot. Don't think it's anything else. It's up to the whim of the person in charge of such things. I've left low end apartments, and have or haven't gotten back my deposit. I've left high end apartments, and have or haven't gotten back my deposit. One place I left three days late, they never billed me. Some apartments might ding you for as much as possible. Some might just ignore it because you were a good, long term resident. Some might keep your deposit. Some might bill you for extra, and do a very cheap repair job. Some might bill you for a lot extra.

I worked out a solution with my gf. I'm staying here for another 6 months and save up a moving fund. In the meantime, get the manager to inspect the damage and tell me up front the costs. I'll have to pay it sooner or later so might as well take the kitchen matt off the spot and stop pretending it's not there. lol

Just crazy expensive to move these days. The cost of the U-haul alone would have been over hundreds bucks for their smallest size!
Old 09-24-11, 01:48 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Living Dead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Graveyard
Posts: 3,211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: My Apartment Dilemma

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
I worked out a solution with my gf. I'm staying here for another 6 months and save up a moving fund. In the meantime, get the manager to inspect the damage and tell me up front the costs. I'll have to pay it sooner or later so might as well take the kitchen matt off the spot and stop pretending it's not there. lol

Just crazy expensive to move these days. The cost of the U-haul alone would have been over hundreds bucks for their smallest size!
If you have an inspection done, make sure it all gets put in writing. And take lots of pictures or a video of your place once its empty before you move out. That way they can't say you trashed it or something.

I have lived in 5 different apartments in Los Angeles, and I have ALWAYS gotten my deposit back, minus any usual wear and tear. It's the law (in CA anyway) that if you request an inspection and list of damages, the apartment owner must provide it. I simply make sure all the things they say need to be fixed are fixed.

My last place decided to take my entire deposit in 2009, so I sued them in small claims court. I had the list of items they said needed to be repaired (which was significantly less than my deposit anyway) and I had receipts and photographs showing the repairs had been made. The court awarded me my deposit plus court costs and lost wages.

It sounds like a lot of you guys who have had your deposits taken are just letting yourselves get ripped off. That's what a lot of these places count on, that you'll just roll over and take it rather than fight. But in LA deposits are routinely $1500-$2000 even for a shithole, so I make sure to get that money back.
Old 09-24-11, 02:12 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Osiris3657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,456
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: My Apartment Dilemma

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
If you have an inspection done, make sure it all gets put in writing. And take lots of pictures or a video of your place once its empty before you move out. That way they can't say you trashed it or something.

I have lived in 5 different apartments in Los Angeles, and I have ALWAYS gotten my deposit back, minus any usual wear and tear. It's the law (in CA anyway) that if you request an inspection and list of damages, the apartment owner must provide it. I simply make sure all the things they say need to be fixed are fixed.

My last place decided to take my entire deposit in 2009, so I sued them in small claims court. I had the list of items they said needed to be repaired (which was significantly less than my deposit anyway) and I had receipts and photographs showing the repairs had been made. The court awarded me my deposit plus court costs and lost wages.

It sounds like a lot of you guys who have had your deposits taken are just letting yourselves get ripped off. That's what a lot of these places count on, that you'll just roll over and take it rather than fight. But in LA deposits are routinely $1500-$2000 even for a shithole, so I make sure to get that money back.
a perfect example of the ridiculous cost of living in California.

I live in a nice 800 sq ft one bedroom apartment in a good part of town and my deposit was $49.
Old 09-24-11, 04:11 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Living Dead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Graveyard
Posts: 3,211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: My Apartment Dilemma

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
a perfect example of the ridiculous cost of living in California.

I live in a nice 800 sq ft one bedroom apartment in a good part of town and my deposit was $49.
Prices here are definitely ridiculous. A comparable apartment in my home state of Kentucky would be 1/4 the cost.
Old 09-24-11, 07:14 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Under Golden Gate Bridge
Posts: 10,912
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: My Apartment Dilemma

$49 deposit? Even when I lived in the South, it wasn't that low. I was fortunate this current place only wanted $700. Many places in SF Bay Area want one month's rent or more. We're talking a few grand.

I'm about to take a bitch of a landlady to small claims for denying a refund of a $1100 security deposit.
Old 09-24-11, 08:38 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 3,546
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: My Apartment Dilemma

Originally Posted by big whoppa View Post
$49 deposit? Even when I lived in the South, it wasn't that low. I was fortunate this current place only wanted $700. Many places in SF Bay Area want one month's rent or more. We're talking a few grand.

I'm about to take a bitch of a landlady to small claims for denying a refund of a $1100 security deposit.
Judge Judy here he comes...................................
Old 09-24-11, 10:53 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
adrenaline78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Janesville, WI
Posts: 3,147
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: My Apartment Dilemma

I've only lived in a few apartments, but I've always gotten my security deposit back.


If they are indeed individual "faux" tiles then it won't be hard, or costly to replace. Home Depot, lowes should carry adhesive tiles. The catch there would be to find the correct style to replace the single one.
Old 09-24-11, 04:40 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 15,556
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: My Apartment Dilemma

The most I ever got back from a security deposit was $23 (out of $275). I wouldn't count on getting anything back and if you do get something it'll be a nice little surprise. Emphasis on the little.
Old 09-26-11, 12:01 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 13,999
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: My Apartment Dilemma

When I lived in apartments, which was a good twenty years, I always had professionals clean the place and shampoo the carpets before I gave the keys back. Nevertheless, the only one I ever got the deposit back for was my first apartment, and that was in a house owned by a sweet little old couple. I'd lived there for five years.

I wouldn't count on getting anything back, but I would also do everything you can to NOT leave a mess. Moving costs money. You'd be surprised how many landlords will give bad references if you leave them a mess to clean up. I never got a bad reference but I have friends who have, and it makes it hard to find a new place (after the immediate move, I mean).

Last edited by Vibiana; 09-26-11 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Oops. Don't do everything you can to leave a mess. :lol: kvrdave
Old 09-26-11, 12:24 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: My Apartment Dilemma

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
When I lived in apartments, which was a good twenty years, I always had professionals clean the place and shampoo the carpets before I gave the keys back. Nevertheless, the only one I ever got the deposit back for was my first apartment, and that was in a house owned by a sweet little old couple. I'd lived there for five years.

I wouldn't count on getting anything back, but I would also do everything you can to leave a mess. Moving costs money. You'd be surprised how many landlords will give bad references if you leave them a mess to clean up. I never got a bad reference but I have friends who have, and it makes it hard to find a new place (after the immediate move, I mean).
Well this place specified up front that they take $150 bucks out of your deposit for cleaning and repainting the apartment. A friend told me that he didn't think that it was legal to charge for repainting, but it's in the lease and I signed it so I'm sure they got me by the balls.

I've heard stories of people not getting their deposit back because they found a bit of dust on the blinds. I just learned to not expect anything back, and hopefully not get gouged for damage repairs.
Old 09-26-11, 02:18 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 3,546
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: My Apartment Dilemma

Paging kvrdave.........................
Old 09-26-11, 02:43 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 7,370
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: My Apartment Dilemma

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Well this place specified up front that they take $150 bucks out of your deposit for cleaning and repainting the apartment. A friend told me that he didn't think that it was legal to charge for repainting, but it's in the lease and I signed it so I'm sure they got me by the balls.

I've heard stories of people not getting their deposit back because they found a bit of dust on the blinds. I just learned to not expect anything back, and hopefully not get gouged for damage repairs.
Yep, if you signed the lease with that included, you're pretty much stuck with it.

I have always received my full deposit back. I just make sure I clean the place well before leaving. As Living Dead, some of these places, especially if you're in a college town, will try to keep all or part of a deposit unless someone challenges it. That did happen once where I lived at an apartment for about 18 months and they were trying to keep my deposit, claiming I had unauthorized pets that destroyed the carpet. I never had any pets, and the carpet was in fine condition when I left. When I threatened to pursue the issue further, they immediately issued the deposit to me in the full amount.
Old 09-27-11, 12:01 PM
  #18  
Political Exile
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 15,066
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: My Apartment Dilemma

I lived in the same apartment complex, two different apartments, and I got my deposit back both times. I can't believe you people would just let them take it. For $49 bucks I probably wouldn't care, but those of you who paid more, why would you not fight that?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.