Ventura County Climate Thread

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-23-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I'm involved in the planning of an outdoor event in late March in Ventura County (south of Thousand Oaks). As an East Coaster, late March means frigid temperatures and a bit of sunshine. My contacts I am speaking to say that March is very cold() and rainy. And gray.

I can't imagine Southern California being like that. I haven't been to California at that time of year so I was wondering if someone could provide feedback on what type of outdoor climate I can expect.
Old 09-23-11, 03:48 PM
Suspended

Re: Ventura County Climate Thread

An early round of phoniness, follow by sprinkle of envy and keeping up with the Jones, 30% of bankruptcy and debt up to your ass, 100% of I'll still borrow to keep up my image.
Old 09-23-11, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

#1 rule about California (and all of the West) that is hard for east coasters (and foreigners) to grasp is that it's big. Ventura County is HUGE. It's twice the size of Rhode Island. Neighboring San Bernardino County is the size of West Virginia. Where EXACTLY will the event be? I was up that way last January. At the Reagan Library in Simi Valley I got rained on, but by the time I drove to Ojai there was no rain and the streets weren't wet...it hadn't even rained there.

Most of Ventura is at a greater elevation than Los Angeles and Orange County which are near sea level and almost totally flat. Being at a higher elevation it is colder than LA.

Weather that time of year will be unpredictable. Count on rain just to be safe, but you might get a gorgeous clear day with a high of 68 F.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-23-11 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-23-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's technically in Malibu, but north of the ocean.
Old 09-23-11, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
It's technically in Malibu, but north of the ocean.

See that's what I'm talking about. It's so big. There's places in Ventura that are at 6000 to 7000 foot elevation, there are places that are acres upon acres of agriculture that are MILES from the ocean and yet your event is in Malibu. As Steve Martin would say in LA Story "expect partly cloudy and 72 degrees". Have a good time.

Jokes aside you have to have a provision in case of rain. You probably won't get it but you could. Outdoor space heaters would probably make the ladies more comfortable. Are all the attendees out of towners like you? From my experience people from colder climates love the CA weather, even in the winter. Californians are pussies, we're spoiled by the weather. We treat cloudy days like rainy days and rainy days like a snow day. My old roommate from Boston said as soon as the temp got about 50 degrees in Boston everyone would put on their shorts. He thought every day in LA was hot, even when it was raining. If your attendees are locals they'll say, "Oh shit I'm so cold" if it drops below 64, and they'll probably go home (or not even show up) if it's raining.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-23-11 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-23-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

65 is the average high in March and 68 in April so late March I'd expect about 67 or so.. Late March is the tail end of the rain season so I'd put rain in the "not likely" column. Since this whole year has been pretty mild with the weather I'm going on my gut as a lifelong SCAL resident that next year will be hot as hell and dry starting early.

Last edited by General Zod; 09-24-11 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-23-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alligator lizards in the air... in the air.
Old 09-23-11, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
#1 rule about California (and all of the West) that is hard for east coasters (and foreigners) to grasp is that it's big. Ventura County is HUGE. It's twice the size of Rhode Island. Neighboring San Bernardino County is the size of West Virginia. Where EXACTLY will the event be? I was up that way last January. At the Reagan Library in Simi Valley I got rained on, but by the time I drove to Ojai there was no rain and the streets weren't wet...it hadn't even rained there.

Most of Ventura is at a greater elevation than Los Angeles and Orange County which are near sea level and almost totally flat. Being at a higher elevation it is colder than LA.

Weather that time of year will be unpredictable. Count on rain just to be safe, but you might get a gorgeous clear day with a high of 68 F.

Twice the size of Rhode island is not huge
Old 09-24-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hard to tell what March may bring. We had another cool summer this year. It CAN be rainy.... don't know about it being cold, though. I guess one man's cold is another man's cool. But it's always gray in the morning...usually clears up in the afternoon.
Old 09-26-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Twice the size of Rhode island is not huge
For a county it is. How big is the county you live in?
Old 09-26-11, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Weather Underground has a nice trip planner that shows % of precipitation and temperature. Looks like it would be sunny with temps in the low- to mid-60s. As it's an outside event, maybe having it happen in the mid-afternoon as opposed to evening would work better.