Reload this Page >

Advice about moving to Chicago?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-23-11, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have a job opportunity in Chicago, though I know jack squat about living there. I now there's a giant chrome bean, and apparently it gets chilly. Can anyone give me the gist of what a bachelor may want to know?

Of special interest- where one might live? General living costs for a studio or single bedroom? Curious to arm myself with a bit of knowledge so as to bring up the subject of moving expenses and salary.

I'd generally like to get an idea of "bad" neighborhoods to avoid. Are apartments pretty much the only option? Ideally, I'd like to at least look at places where I don't need to climb stairs since I usually load heavy equipment to/from my car.
Old 09-23-11, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Advice about moving to Chicago?

Buy a gun
Old 09-23-11, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sterlingben View Post
buy a gun
+2
Old 09-23-11, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ha, is it that bad across the board? There are some pretty bad areas in LA (a couple of which I've lived in), but there are some obvious choices for a normal person. I must presume there are similar options in Chicago, though I'm trying to get an idea where the safer neighborhoods are priced. I've read good things about Lincoln Square, Lakeview, and Roscoe Village.
Old 09-23-11, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you have a second house in Phoenix for the months of Oct.-March... Winters here suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccckkkkkkk!
Old 09-23-11, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you lived in California your entire life? If you have, the climate change will be soul crushing.
Old 09-23-11, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
Have you lived in California your entire life? If you have, the climate change will be soul crushing.
qft

I've lived in Texas most of my life, but one year I lived in Kansas and could barely go outside during the winter. Absolutely hated the long, cold winter. Not just because I don't like cold temperatures, but because it was depressing as well. It was always dark, dreary, overcast, wet...ugh.

So my advice is basically what Charlie said...if you've lived in a warm weather state your whole life you may want to seriously rethink moving to a cold weather state.
Old 09-23-11, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Stay away from bathhouses and train stations!
Old 09-23-11, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by filmerp View Post
I now there's a giant chrome bean, and apparently it gets chilly.
This is correct. The trick is not to touch the giant chrome bean with your tongue when it's chilly.

In the summer, though, it's a local custom to lick that thing like it's a giant, reflective hard candy.
Old 09-23-11, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you're into trannies, gays, or colored women, you should hang out with fellow otter mhg83. You could be each other's wingman.
Old 09-23-11, 09:22 AM

If you like good sports teams.. Then Chicago is not for you!
Old 09-23-11, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you see a place called Steamworks, it's not a clam house or dry cleaner.
Old 09-23-11, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are actually in the city or one of the burbs? I'm way out in the suburbs, but we're still considered the "Chicago office".
Old 09-23-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chicago's a great place to live, but as people have said the Winters can be (and usually are) brutal.
Best place for a single guy is probably Wrigleyville. Plenty of bars and single women. Also Roscoe Village, Andersonville and maybe Boys' Town (depending on your preferences).
Neighborhoods to avoid would probably be Englewood, near West Side, near South Side and Logan Square (Which is always "up and coming" according to realtors. It's been "up and coming" for the last 20 years).
Don't know how much apartments go for these days - I haven't rented for a long time.
Old 09-23-11, 11:55 AM

I live in Roscoe Village. It's not the most happening area for a single guy, but there's plenty of bars it's and right between Wicker Park and Lakeview with public transit.

It's probably one of the safest neighborhoods in the city. I'd expect you'll pay from $600-$1200 for a studio or 1br, depending on what you want and your budget.

If you're interested, PM me and I can give you more specifics.
Old 09-23-11, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Extremely generalized comments:

1. The "Chicagoland Area" is really huge, saying you're "moving to Chicago" doesn't really narrow it down enough. Suburbs? City? Price range? Interests? Kids?
2. Chicago is, in general, very safe. Even the general tips of avoiding the west and south sides of the city now have sizable exceptions.
3. Weather here is extreme. Unless you've lived in a colder area before, you won't be prepared for the the winter here. I enjoy winter here , but make no mistake: it's unforgiving. Also, it's surprisingly hot here in the summer, certainly hotter than coastal California.
4. Cost of living will be low compared to most parts of California, but higher than other midwestern or southern cities. You can get a decent ~2000 sq. ft. house in an nice suburb for about $350K these days, if that helps narrow it down. Condos are selling for what would have been bargain basement prices a few years ago in the city right now.
5. This city is a great place to live, especially considering just how big a city it is. The infrasturcture and public facilities are, in general, world class. It's not as expensive as other citites its size and with its offerings and there's always a lot going on around here. Good food, good culture, urban buzz, etc, Chicago's got it. I like it here.
Old 09-23-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've often wondered how people get used to the brutal temperature changes in the midwest and especially the northern states.

I mean, yeah it gets brutally hot in Arizona,Nevada, Texas, Florida and places like that and at times it can get down into the 30's I suppose and on rare occassions even lower, but places like Minnesota, the Dakotas and to a bit lesser extent Chicago (their winters typically aren't quite as bad as some other northern states--still very cold but it typically doesn't get crazy cold) have temperature ranges of like 140-150 degrees throughout the year.

In can definitely get up to 110 on occassion and it's no big deal when it gets down to -30. I just don't get how somebody that grew up in say San Diego, where the temperature ranges 30-40 degrees throughout the year, could handle moving to Minneapolis where it's guaranteed the temperature range will be at least 100-110 degrees every single year. That first 10 degree day must just blow people's minds...and then it gets 40 degrees colder.
Old 09-23-11, 12:53 PM

Batman lives there, so it can be too terrible.
Old 09-23-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
I've often wondered how people get used to the brutal temperature changes in the midwest and especially the northern states.
Short answer -- you don't spend a lot of time outdoors during the extreme weather. Sure, seeing -20 on the thermometer is psychologically frightening, but you really only deal with it a few minutes a day unless you're homeless. Same as when it's 120 in Arizona. I imagine most or all of your time is spent in air conditioning. We just spend more time with the heater on instead. Plus we get white Christmases, which is the way God intended it.
Old 09-23-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Short answer -- you don't spend a lot of time outdoors during the extreme weather. Sure, seeing -20 on the thermometer is psychologically frightening, but you really only deal with it a few minutes a day unless you're homeless. Same as when it's 120 in Arizona. I imagine most or all of your time is spent in air conditioning. We just spend more time with the heater on instead. Plus we get white Christmases, which is the way God intended it.
Ya I think it's a combination of this and if you grew up here you are just used to it. Ya it can suck at times but I like living where there is a change in seasons. Fall is amazing and Winter can be fun until about January when it gets old. I think it really makes you appreciate the Spring and Summer months more too.
Old 09-23-11, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
That first 10 degree day must just blow people's minds...and then it gets 40 degrees colder.
I work with a lot of people who are Indian immigrants. The stories of having their families from India (some of whom have never seen a 50 degree day, let alone snow) deciding to visit Chicago in the middle of February are hilarious.
Old 09-23-11, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah my wife is Filipina and she has relatives there. They're all miserable.
Old 09-23-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where you decide to live will largely depend on where you will work. If you work in downtown Chicago, you can live pretty much anywhere and get to work via mass transit. If you work in the north suburbs, you can't really live in the south suburbs due to the commute.

So, start off by telling us where exactly your Chicago office will be.
Old 09-23-11, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Joshic View Post
Where you decide to live will largely depend on where you will work. If you work in downtown Chicago, you can live pretty much anywhere and get to work via mass transit. If you work in the north suburbs, you can't really live in the south suburbs due to the commute.

So, start off by telling us where exactly your Chicago office will be.
Man I just pictured what commuting from the South suburbs to the northern suburbs would be like. I then pictured shooting myself.
Old 09-23-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I spent about four months commuting from the north side to northern Lake County and it was terrible. There's a reason I changed my location from Chicago to Chicagoland.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.