Reload this Page >

Facebook updates! Oh noes!17a!4?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-23-11, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't find the changes bothersome. I had to look for a minute to even notice changes. People are freaking out like it's the end of the world

Why do Facebook users hate change?

By Zack Whittaker | September 22, 2011, 2:58am PDT

Summary: Facebook, as a social phenomenon, a greater oddity exists when the site changes its layout or features. Why do Facebook users hate change, or is it a wider societal problem?

There is a hate in the air that cannot be ignored.

It’s ironic that enough people have turned to the ‘fallback’ social network to lambaste Facebook by tweeting about it, to the point where anger is so clear, the #NewFacebook hashtag is trending worldwide.

With nearly 800 million around the world using Facebook on a regular basis, there is widespread anger over changes to the ‘news feed’ — the stream of information collated on the front page of every Facebook profile — and the overall profile changes.

Gallery
To see the brand new Facebook profile layout (no, not the one you’ve already seen, but the one that will replace the already new one released only this week), then head on over here. Prepare for a shock.

The changes itself are not radical in that all the statuses and profile updates are still displayed in the right hand column. The ‘ticker’, that keeps the user abreast of photos, updates, links posted and other Page related content, has changed location but it still performs the same function.

But others are questioning whether we are even ‘allowed’ to complain. It’s a free service, on the face of it. We are allowed to sign up and use the service in exchange of our personal information, and do so free of charge. Are we consumers, customers or something else entirely?

People generally do not like change. It is as simple as that. But why?

When a radical change is made to something ‘already useful’, but does not fundamentally change the experience, people rebel — and they rebel quickly.

Take the microwave, for one. It can heat up food in two minutes rather than twenty. People were terrified of it at first; this ‘alien’ technology could have long-term health effects and other untold consequences. But the benefits from accepting new things can often outweigh the apparent negatives.
Why Facebook is changing

Facebook is changing because it needs parity with Google+, the new social network on the scene. Facebook needs to be seen as progressive; otherwise it could be demonised or fall into the trap of ‘being the next MySpace’.

Users by very nature do not want to learn how to use a product every six months.

Remember when Office 2007 transformed the menu to the ‘Ribbon’? The user backlash was tremendous, but Microsoft stuck it out and somehow it succeeded. But users needed to write documents and create spreadsheets, and the functionality was there; seemingly hidden by a necessary new learning experience.

Though Facebook is hardly forthcoming with its user statistics, I can all but bet that nearly a quarter of the 800 million users of Facebook use their mobile phone or smartphone either just as much, or more than the desktop version.

Because if this theory stands, as Facebook does not update their mobile applications half as much as they do on the desktop, it offers users greater stability and fewer opportunities to feel negative about the changes.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/igeneratio...e-change/12863
Old 09-23-11, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Facebook updates! Oh noes!17a!4?

Whether or not they 'should' complain is debatable.
Can they complain? Sure. It's a free country, and the internet likes to bitch.
And while it is 'free' to the users in terms of a dollar cost, it's not free in terms of advertising, privacy, etc.

I don't use Facebook enough to care - I hop on every couple days, see what people are doing, then hop off. Or I hop on to change back whatever privacy setting FB just loosened for me without telling me (that's worthy of much more complaint). The main page does look a lot "busier" to me than it used to, but not enough for me to spend more time than this.
Old 09-23-11, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like they update the mobile app a lot more. I have constant updates coming from Facebook. I rarely even use the regular site, so it didn't bother me all that much.
Old 09-23-11, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The mobile app has been a disaster for ages now. You'll often have 2 updates within a week or two of each other because no matter what they try to do in the first update it will break or cause issues with some part of the app and that will be fix in the SECOND update. Then we'll got months without another update before the cycle starts again.

The browser version is just way too many changes and updates at once. I think that the people who aren't very computer savvy are just completely lost now and that is where a great deal of hate is coming from. The rest of the people are whiny assholes.
Old 09-23-11, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One legitimate complaint: you can now see every activity your friends engage in, so a lot of people who participate in various confidential groups (e.g. support groups for gay teens) found themselves outed to their entire friends list.
Old 09-23-11, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While I'm not outraged, facebook makes radical changes too often. They tell everyone it's an improvement but is it really? How about slow changes and perhaps just once a year. Google, Amazon, and other websites don't feel a need to make constant modifications so why facebook.
Old 09-23-11, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Many FB users (like me) are addicted, and don't realize how powerful an addiction it is. Overreacting to frequent, pointless changes is just a symptom.
Old 09-23-11, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
One legitimate complaint: you can now see every activity your friends engage in, so a lot of people who participate in various confidential groups (e.g. support groups for gay teens) found themselves outed to their entire friends list.
That's not cool. The activity feed didn't seem any different than clicking on your friends page and seeing their activity posted. I didn't realize that it could show posts from secret groups.
Old 09-23-11, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

people whine about change all the time. few years ago at work i started configuring iLO cards on our servers. everyone laughed at me. the last time someone had to come in on a saturday i got an email about how to configure these things
Old 09-23-11, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The new timeline looks pretty slick.

http://facebook.com/about/timeline/
Old 09-23-11, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
Many FB users (like me) are addicted, and don't realize how powerful an addiction it is. Overreacting to frequent, pointless changes is just a symptom.
I think you just nailed it.. pointless changes. It was fine before, why change it.

I don't hate this change too much.. but I did like being able to see the most recent posts as opposed to them kinda jumbled up.
Old 09-23-11, 09:31 AM

As long as other people can't see that I'm looking at their photos, especially which photos I'm looking at and how long I'm looking at them.
Old 09-23-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Its funny because I always laugh at people who bitch about when Facebook changes, but I have to admit, I dont like the new change... Ill still not bitch and moan just because its not really that big of a deal. Just means Ill use it less, which isnt really a bad thing.
Old 09-23-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post

Looks way too cluttered for my tastes. I'm not looking to tell my life story on Facebook, just keep up with the recent developments of friends and family.
Old 09-23-11, 12:08 PM
Banned

mgh83...why do you care so much about what facebook does? There are more important things for otter to do.
Old 09-23-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post

Boy, Andy Sparks sure does have a high opinion of himself. Why the fuck should I care about this guy's entire life story?! What's Andy Sparks ever done for me?!
Old 09-23-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I rarely use my FB as it is. Changes like all this crap just insure that I won't bother using at anytime soon.
Old 09-23-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

New timeline is slick. It was nice going back and revisiting events from years ago.
Old 09-23-11, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't like the news feed if for no other reason than I can't make it one timeline organized by time posted. That doesn't seem like a crazy thing to want or expect. I do think the main page is way too busy now, though.

A friend pointed out to me that you can create a new list toss all your friends into it, and it will essentially be the old news feed organized by time posted. The only problem with that is I don't think there's a way to add the pages you've "liked" to that list.

And no, we don't pay for the service, but our visits still help pay the salaries of the people who work for Facebook. I think the users have a right to voice their complaints. And I disagree with that article's comparison to the Microsoft Office updates. I don't think these latest changes did retain all the functionality of the previous Facebook. As I said, I'd like to be able to view one news feed organized by time, something that was easy to do before and apparently impossible now.
Old 09-23-11, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The big picture that you can move wherever you want is moving into Myspace territory. Other than that, it doesn't seem too bad.
Old 09-23-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I very much dislike the new FB
Old 09-23-11, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I joined, all the news feeds were listed by descending posting time. And then there was that ridiculous split into top news and most recent. Now, the news feeds are divided in some rather illogical, cluttered way.
Old 09-23-11, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've just been unmarking everything Facebook thought was important, now I've had nothing but "recent stories" for a while.
Old 09-23-11, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the latest being posted on FB.....

"IT IS OFFICIAL. IT WAS EVEN ON THE NEWS. FACEBOOK WILL START CHARGING DUE TO THE NEW PROFILE CHANGES. IF YOU COPY THIS ON YOUR WALL YOUR ICON WILL TURN BLUE AND FACEBOOK WILL BE FREE FOR YOU. PLEASE PASS THIS MESSAGE ON, IF NOT YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED IF YOU DO NOT PAY.."
Old 09-23-11, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Would be nice if FB would charge for their service.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.