Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone Here An RN Or Knows Someone That Is?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-22-11, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

So I decided that I might embark on the path to becoming an RN. Cue the Greg Focker jokes

A friend of mine is making six figures a year doing it, and his wife is making just under that. I heard it could take up to 5 years, and the process is competitive.

I figure it's time for a change from the same old boring work and look to a new career.

Anyone know from experience how this works?
Old 09-22-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Anyone Here An RN Or Knows Someone That Is?

I had some friends that were going to school to be an RN. From what I understood, they needed straight A's in all the preliminary classes to even be able to submit to get into the nursing program.

There is a shortage of nurses in the country that is expected to climb even further in the next decade. The standards are very high and not all students graduate from their respective nursing programs.

Kudos to you! The road will be very, very tough. I hope you're not just considering it for the money because I don't think you'll make it all the way if it's not your passion.
Old 09-22-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Although there is a shortage, due to the economy people just arent getting hired and getting into school is pretty competitive... But everyone I know who does it, absolutely loves it.
Old 09-22-11, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

My wife is an RN. She has been one for over 10 years. She started with an associates.
She has worked in intensive care, critical care, cardiology, radiology & OR.
Because of a recent promotion, she just recently started going to school again while working.
She is going for her Bachelors.
Old 09-22-11, 04:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now doctors are not happy because of Obamacare.
They say they will be overworked and under payed.
Wouldn't the same be for nurses?
Old 09-22-11, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 102 Posts

My mother was an RN. She graduated from nursing school in 1947. Back then if you wanted to be a nurse, you went to a training school located in a hospital. The course took three years and you got a diploma, not a degree. My mother disagreed with the idea that RNs needed to get a BSN and said she would have rather worked with hospital-program graduates any day because they knew what they were doing from the very first day on the job. BSNs were well trained in nursing theory, but not in practice.

Of course, my mother retired from nursing in the early 70s and things have changed a lot since then. But most of my friends who are nurses agree with her, except one (who has a master's and is actually a nurse practitioner).

If I were going into this, I would start by training to be an LPN (which takes one year), then go on for an ADN. You can always get the BSN later.

EDITED TO ADD: to wmlopez: Nurses have always been overworked and underpaid. Hospitals don't keep anybody but the very sickest patients nowadays and workloads for nurses are staggering. Plus, CNAs and other nonlicensed personnel do a lot of the scut work that nurses used to do, but always under the stipulation that if the aide screws up and the patient takes a dive, the supervising RN's license will be on the line.
Old 09-22-11, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-22-11, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I had some friends that were going to school to be an RN. From what I understood, they needed straight A's in all the preliminary classes to even be able to submit to get into the nursing program.

There is a shortage of nurses in the country that is expected to climb even further in the next decade. The standards are very high and not all students graduate from their respective nursing programs.

Kudos to you! The road will be very, very tough. I hope you're not just considering it for the money because I don't think you'll make it all the way if it's not your passion.

I don't totally agree.... My ex bitch of a mother in law is an RN and not only an RN but she is the Nurse Administror for the Operating Room in a very big hospital here in miami. The shortage has dwindled down now they are turning ppl away. They had a couple of years ago a BIG incentive for Men wanting to be RN's. But that has died down.

It's a great job but you have to like the type of working in your specialty. I would only do operating room RN work personally. Just research all the different areas the RN's work in so you don't land in a place you will hate later.
Old 09-22-11, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Where I live, there are loads of job listings for RNs. The home health care thing is booming down here, so that's certainly help fuel that demand. Other jobs that are plentiful here are occupational therapy assistant, physical therapy assistant, physician's assistant and speech pathologist. Of those, I think only the speech pathologist requires anything beyond an associate's degree. The assistant-type jobs are really booming right now. As someone not at all scientifically inclined, it's very disheartening to see so many open jobs for things I couldn't possibly do.
Old 09-22-11, 05:12 PM
Banned

You can go to a private school and pay more or have high grades, do well in the interview process and get into the program. Still competitive but there are a lot of rn jobs, at least here in Utah and Phoenix as well.

Good luck
Old 09-22-11, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Registered Nurse sounds alright, but Unregistered Nurse sounds a lot more fun.
Old 09-22-11, 05:19 PM

My SO is an RN. She started in Public Health, worked for 10 years and then got her MoN about 6 years ago while teaching University courses to student nurses. She is now a high level administrator in Newborn Screening and making mad money. I figure she'll be a director in 5 years.

This is a lucrative business, you need to do yourself a favour and get involved now!

Last edited by Buckaroo Banzai; 09-22-11 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i know an RN. she makes a shit load of money but works an insane amount of hours. 80 hrs a week, always having to work unexpected doubles, just about to go home and finds out she needs to stay another 10 hrs, on call a couple weekends a month and usually always gets called in. she pretty much has no life...its def a field you have to have a passion for.
Old 09-22-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
Now doctors are not happy because of Obamacare.
They say they will be overworked and under payed.
Wouldn't the same be for nurses?
Your haiku blows.
Old 09-22-11, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
So I decided that I might embark on the path to becoming an RN. Cue the Greg Focker jokes

A friend of mine is making six figures a year doing it, and his wife is making just under that. I heard it could take up to 5 years, and the process is competitive.

I figure it's time for a change from the same old boring work and look to a new career.

Anyone know from experience how this works?
Yes I know tons of RNs, and I know many failed RNs that are just LVNs and will probably be that way forever.

There are tons of local community college programs that can get you on the track to nursing school, but they're almost all severely impacted and have become incredibly competitive. All the people who can't afford the UC system now trickle down into the CSU and CC system, so there are some genuinely overqualified people in those classes. Some of them even curve backwards because they require a 30% drop out rate.
Old 09-22-11, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

[QUOTE=Vibiana;10934114]My mother was an RN. She graduated from nursing school in 1947.

'47, wow! Those were the days when RNs were hardcore and KNEW their stuff. Grains, minums, and compounding! And I wonder how many today can take an accurate TPR *manually* every time, and God forbid what would happen if the hospital's computers failed or the power failed, right? Those were more structured days when the Doctor had a lot more responsibility to daily care of the patient, and the bedside manner was truly important. My grandmother was a WWII 'nurses aid' at LA county hosp., and what stories she told!

I would have liked to have a conversation with your Mom back in the day.
Old 09-22-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

my mom is an RN. Has been for 30+ years. She makes great money, but you start out in shit jobs with horrible hours to begin with. Sort of like any job that is a 24/7 type job. But, it's a job that should have a significant amount of security based on the sheer number of baby boomers turning 60+ every day.
Old 09-22-11, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife is in school for it right now. It's a lot of hours but she is liking it. (getting science requirements out of the way before entering the program was more annoying, as it was things that weren't really too applicable).

From what we've gathered from friends/family, there is good money in it, but you have to be willing to not expect a 40 hour standard 9-5 work week, as many have said above.
Old 09-22-11, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not only can you get good pay, you can also secretly poison people you hate.
Old 09-23-11, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My mother was an RN. I've recently been thinking about switching careers and there is a nursing school very close by. Definitely something to consider.

Another plus, if you work in a hospital nursery, you can switch babies around for genuine laughs!
Old 09-23-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
'47, wow! Those were the days when RNs were hardcore and KNEW their stuff. Grains, minums, and compounding! And I wonder how many today can take an accurate TPR *manually* every time, and God forbid what would happen if the hospital's computers failed or the power failed, right? Those were more structured days when the Doctor had a lot more responsibility to daily care of the patient, and the bedside manner was truly important. My grandmother was a WWII 'nurses aid' at LA county hosp., and what stories she told!

I would have liked to have a conversation with your Mom back in the day.
Thanks. I loved talking with Mom about her nursing days. She really wanted me to be a nurse, too, but I just didn't have the math and science aptitude.

Nursing has changed so much in part because of the advances in medical technology. In the 1940s people didn't live long enough to get as sick as they do today. They died in their 50s and 60s. Nurses didn't have the insane patient loads they do today, so they had the opportunity to do more bedside care like backrubs and bed baths. They also weren't required by a litigious society to fill out reams of chart paperwork for every patient.

Another reason nursing has changed is that the hospital is no longer the primary care setting. That's a good thing in many ways, most principally the last months of life. People can die at home or in hospice facilities, a great improvement over dying in a hospital.

My mother's own health went downhill for a couple of decades before her death, and she was a lousy patient because they couldn't hand her a load of B.S. She knew without asking what her numbers meant, and so forth. The hospice nurse who took care of Mom over her last months was bequeathed her nursing school pin from when she graduated. I got her cap and her blue cape. When's the last time you saw a nurse wearing either of those?
Old 09-23-11, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Find out what your state requires for a RN, some require an Associate's Degrees others a Bachelor’s. Here in OK you only need an ASN degree and the only reason for someone to get a BSN is to move up to management or a path for advanced degrees (NP, PA, NA). Pay is based on specialty, setting, shift and other things. A physician's office nurse is the lowest on the pay scale, but have M-F 95- hours. If you can work weekend nights you can make a ton of money there or traveling. While in nursing school you will find an area you like, as you will have clinicals in all areas.
Old 09-23-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Aunt-in-law is an RN and kind of a bitch. She's also dyslexic. I don't like her very much.
Old 09-23-11, 04:45 PM
En vacance

My friend is a RVN (registerd vocational nurse) and thats what you do first before you become an RN. So far he cannot find any jobs for people, he says a couple of decades ago it would have been easy to find jobs for it.
Old 09-24-11, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post

It's not about the money. It's kind of wanting to make a career instead of just doing the office grind, or the sales jobs I have done before. Money has been good for me lately, just looking for change.

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
My wife is an RN. She has been one for over 10 years. She started with an associates.
She has worked in intensive care, critical care, cardiology, radiology & OR.
Because of a recent promotion, she just recently started going to school again while working.
She is going for her Bachelors.
I heard from my buddy that a 2 year associates is good, but it all depends on how many classes you take. It could take more than 2. He said to expect five, wit the first two or three trying to get into the program.

Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
You can go to a private school and pay more or have high grades, do well in the interview process and get into the program. Still competitive but there are a lot of rn jobs, at least here in Utah and Phoenix as well.

Good luck
I asked my buddy about a medical college or whatnot and he said since they could cost upwards of 30k only to land you a job that pays 40k a year, it'd be better to do the CC route and alot cheaper.

I have also heard from another friend there are online classes that I can take as well.

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
Yes I know tons of RNs, and I know many failed RNs that are just LVNs and will probably be that way forever.

There are tons of local community college programs that can get you on the track to nursing school, but they're almost all severely impacted and have become incredibly competitive. All the people who can't afford the UC system now trickle down into the CSU and CC system, so there are some genuinely overqualified people in those classes. Some of them even curve backwards because they require a 30% drop out rate.
I asked about an LVN and his response was become an LVN if you want to work in a nursing home for the most part.

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
my mom is an RN. Has been for 30+ years. She makes great money, but you start out in shit jobs with horrible hours to begin with. Sort of like any job that is a 24/7 type job. But, it's a job that should have a significant amount of security based on the sheer number of baby boomers turning 60+ every day.
My buddy said the school part sucked, and he was working two or three jobs for two years while he was going to school. I'd say every other day he'd be posting on Facebook about how this test is tough, this test sucks, this test is impossible

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.