Disney World bringing Avatar

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-20-11, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Avatar Exhibits Bringing Pandora To Disney World Starting In 2013

Soon enough, Pandora will be closer than you ever thought possible. James Cameron, Oscar-winning director and visual-effects pioneer, has struck a deal with Fox Filmed Entertainment and Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Worldwide, to bring versions of Pandora -- the lush, alien environment imagined by Cameron for his 3D epic Avatar -- to Disney theme parks around the world.

According to a release, the first Avatar-themed park exhibit will be set up in Disney’s Orlando-based Animal Kingdom. Construction should begin by 2013.

“Avatar created a world which audiences can discover again and again and now, through this incredible partnership with Disney, we’ll be able to bring Pandora to life like never before,” Cameron said in the statement. “With two new Avatar films currently in development, we’ll have even more locations, characters and stories to explore. I’m chomping at the bit to start work with Disney’s legendary Imagineers to bring our Avatar universe to life. Our goal is to go beyond current boundaries of technical innovation and experiential storytelling, and give park goers the chance to see, hear, and touch the world of Avatar with an unprecedented sense of reality.”

If another filmmaker made similar statements, I’d roll my eyes. But Cameron’s pretty much the only whiz kid with the clout (and bank account) to back those words up. While Disney and Universal theme parks in Orlando and Los Angeles have had longstanding relationships with major Hollywood properties, the marriage of Avatar and Disney’s park system makes perfect sense. Fans no doubt will flock to the experience, as they did with Universal’s recent Harry Potter park. Yet with Avatar, the exhibit will have the chance to expand in coming years as Cameron develops the original worlds through the announced sequels. I trust Cameron to get this right. It’s too bad it will take so long, however, to see what he comes up with.

---

Disney may have found it's Hogwarts match.
Old 09-20-11, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Disney World bringing Avatar

Finally we can show those humans how much they suck and how the planet would be better without them!!!
Old 09-20-11, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope GIANT snails eat this and make it disappear.
Old 09-21-11, 07:12 AM

I'm thinking there's a risk in doing this. Say the Avatar sequels turn out like those of The Matrix?
Take away that risk and I think it's quite a good idea.
Old 09-21-11, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The rich (Cameron) get richer.
Old 09-21-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Finally we can show those humans how much they suck and how the planet would be better without them!!!
Funny but so true.
Old 09-21-11, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The Black View Post
I'm thinking there's a risk in doing this. Say the Avatar sequels turn out like those of The Matrix?
Take away that risk and I think it's quite a good idea.
Don't worry, if Pandora Land proves unpopular they'll just tear it down and replace it with a Wall-E rollercoaster...that keeps with the whole "ecology theme" of both films.
Old 09-21-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cameron and Imagineers on the same team? This is a great pairing, looking forward to the results.
Old 09-21-11, 06:01 PM
Banned

Are they so sick of making money that they've decided to ruin their parks ?
Old 09-21-11, 06:10 PM

Who was clamoring for this? Other than James Cameron.
Old 09-21-11, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
I have to agree. I think it comes off as a desperate move for them.
Old 09-21-11, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Who was clamoring for this? Other than James Cameron.
Old 09-21-11, 09:19 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I have to agree. I think it comes off as a desperate move for them.
Seriously? Making a ride/area based on the highest grossing movie of all time is a desperate move? I'm sure every other theme park in the world would have liked to be this desperate.
Old 09-22-11, 03:33 AM
Banned

First, Avatar was one of the least original movies that I have ever seen. If they were going to remake the same story as dozens of other movies, they should have at least tried to do it in a new way. They just pulled bits and pieces from other, better movies, hoping that it would make a good movie. It didn't. It's not as badly made and written as Twilight, but still......

Second, what does Avatar, or indeed anything James Cameron, have to do with Disney ? There aren't Terminator statues sitting next to Mickey, and there aren't any Make It Off The Titanic rides at Disneyland.

The highest grossing movie of all time ? Only in today's dollars. Disney has always been about quality (the almost complete absence of anything Song Of The South as the exception) But Avatar ? Where's the quality there ? It's all just flash and effects to cover up the fact that it was a bland, poorly written movie. It's like musicians that have a lot of fireworks, smoke, and lights in their shows. It's all in an attempt at, hopefully, distracting people from realizing that there isn't any real substance. A good singer with real talent doesn't need a bunch of effects and fireworks. They can make it on their own. This is lot of what's wrong with Lady Gaga. Sure, she can play piano very well, but there is absolutely no reason for such ridiculous outfits other than insecurity and low self esteem. She's worried that people won't pay attention unless she's "outrageous". Like I said, stuff like that is just to cover up that there really isn't anything underneath.
Old 09-22-11, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you ever seen Mickey Mouse Clubhouse? Disney isn't all about quality.

This thing will work because that world practically looked like a Disney ride already. I doubt it will have much to do with the lame story in Avatar at all. People will like walking around in a magical, glow-in-the-dark world.

Errr...wait, do you think Disney World has succeeded so well over the years because of the great original plot lines surrounding the teacups and Space Mountain?
Old 09-22-11, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

First, Avatar was one of the least original movies that I have ever seen. If they were going to remake the same story as dozens of other movies, they should have at least tried to do it in a new way. They just pulled bits and pieces from other, better movies, hoping that it would make a good movie. It didn't. It's not as badly made and written as Twilight, but still......

Second, what does Avatar, or indeed anything James Cameron, have to do with Disney ? There aren't Terminator statues sitting next to Mickey, and there aren't any Make It Off The Titanic rides at Disneyland.

The highest grossing movie of all time ? Only in today's dollars. Disney has always been about quality (the almost complete absence of anything Song Of The South as the exception) But Avatar ? Where's the quality there ? It's all just flash and effects to cover up the fact that it was a bland, poorly written movie. It's like musicians that have a lot of fireworks, smoke, and lights in their shows. It's all in an attempt at, hopefully, distracting people from realizing that there isn't any real substance. A good singer with real talent doesn't need a bunch of effects and fireworks. They can make it on their own. This is lot of what's wrong with Lady Gaga. Sure, she can play piano very well, but there is absolutely no reason for such ridiculous outfits other than insecurity and low self esteem. She's worried that people won't pay attention unless she's "outrageous". Like I said, stuff like that is just to cover up that there really isn't anything underneath.
Why does this bother you so much? Do you visit Disney World a lot and it will spoil your visits?
Old 09-22-11, 08:28 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Was the Pocahontas ride too realistic?
Old 09-22-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Imagine the look on his face when the Electrical Parade goes rolling by, or one of the many fireworks shows tricks the masses into thinking they are having a good time.
Old 09-22-11, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But Avatar ? Where's the quality there ?
Avatar is a very high quality product, which is more than I can say for several Disney releases (mostly their straight to video sequels, bleh). Granted the story isn't anything original, but most aren't these days...
Old 09-22-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Cameron and Imagineers on the same team? This is a great pairing, looking forward to the results.
Yes, I am really hoping they will do something big like Soarin' at Epcot. Man, the wait times will definitely be crazy, like 3-4 hours on opening. WDW has a lot of international tourists, and they'll definitely come here to check it out. This is what Disney needs to beat Universal's Harry Potter.

That said, I've had a seasonal/annual pass for almost four years straight, but now I think I have had enough, maybe take a break from the parks until this project is done.
Old 09-22-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Seriously? Making a ride/area based on the highest grossing movie of all time is a desperate move? I'm sure every other theme park in the world would have liked to be this desperate.
Simple, it's not the Disney brand. If they had put this at Hollywood Studios then it would be easier to swallow. Or if they had created a new attraction using some Pixar characters then that would fit in better. But Avatar -- that has absolutely nothing to do with Disney at all? It's a desperate move to compete with Hogwarts at Universal's IOA.
Old 09-22-11, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Star Wars and Indiana Jones stuff does just fine. It's not a desperate move at all.
Old 09-22-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Simple, it's not the Disney brand. If they had put this at Hollywood Studios then it would be easier to swallow. Or if they had created a new attraction using some Pixar characters then that would fit in better. But Avatar -- that has absolutely nothing to do with Disney at all? It's a desperate move to compete with Hogwarts at Universal's IOA.
There are a LOT of popular attractions at Disney that aren't part of the Disney Brand. Kudos to them for bringing in 3rd parties because no other park will do it with the budget or class that WDW will.
Old 09-22-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what CA Adv needed. Not lame-ass Cars World.
Old 09-22-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
They should have gone with my Six String Samurai dueling guitars bar idea instead!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.