Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

When Did Subway Get so Expensive?

Old 08-29-11, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When Did Subway Get so Expensive?

Is it just me or does it seem like their prices have increased drastically? I now fell like I'm getting ripped off whenever I eat there now.

Today I went in and got a 6" subway melt with a bag of chips and a small drink. $8.27 for the combo!! If I'm paying close to 10 bucks, I expect to get a good meal, something very filling. A 6" sub is gone after a few bites. Their footlong is even more ridiculous. 12 bucks for the footlong combo.

By contrast, I went to Sonic over the weekend, and I was able to get a big steak sandwhich, large tots, drink, and a $2.00 new york hot dog for about the same price.

I guess they think people are willing to pay a premium for a healthier alternative, but that's a load of crock. Many of their subs are heart stoppers. The 12" meatball clocks in at over 1600 calories with 50 fat grams. The really healthy sandwhiches are still around 300 calories at 6" and that's probably not counting all the toppings.

I try to avoid Subway as much as possible not, but some days, it's my only alternative. Also, don't try their oven fried chicken sandwhich. It looks and tastes well undercooked, and you eat like 4 bites of bun before you even reach the meat.
Old 08-29-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: When Did Subway Get so Expensive?

I never went to Subway much until they started their $5 for a 12" sale. However, that stopped a few months ago,at least for the sandwiches I like, so I pretty much avoid them now.
Old 08-29-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Today I went in and got a 6" subway melt with a bag of chips and a small drink. $8.27 for the combo!! If I'm paying close to 10 bucks, I expect to get a good meal, something very filling. A 6" sub is gone after a few bites. Their footlong is even more ridiculous. 12 bucks for the footlong combo.
It seems $6-$8 for a combo seems to be the norm at a lot of fast food joints now.
Old 08-29-11, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I noticed in my area most of the franchises changed ownership. The one I went to was always heavily staffed and a great place. Then ownership changed, all the prices went up and the new owners have no more than two people working at a time. The delay to get your food is so long I don't bother to go in.
Old 08-29-11, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After tax, $6 - $8 seems about right. Fast food in general has gotten pretty pricey in the last few years.

The funniest right now is McDonalds - they brought their prices up to where it's about $7.50 for a 10 piece McNugget combo -- at our local ones you get any sized drink for $1 excluding combos -- as such if you order a combo, you end up paying more than if you order everything separately by about a buck. At breakfast, if you get a sandwich, drink and hashbrown they automatically make it a combo which costs, somehow, over a buck more than ordering separately.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-29-11 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-29-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Depends on the location. Here in the western Chicago 'burbs, they still have the $5 footlongs menu. Other places closer to the city have $6 footlongs as a minimum. I'm sure at places like the airport, they're probably $8 or $9 footlongs.
Old 08-29-11, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ I guess it does vary. My area still has the $5 foot-longs as well. When I go there, I'll get a $5 foot-long sandwich combo. It usually comes out to about $7.50. I have noticed that Subway has added a lot more premiums subs, which do cost quite a bit more. I just avoid those.
Old 08-29-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I split a $5 with my wife. Seems cheap to me. The tastier ones have been closer to $7-8 for a footlong for a while now.

I try not to get the combo since you overpay for drinks by a good margin anywhere. It's easy to buy the same chips that Subway has in bulk and pack them along.
Old 08-29-11, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You have to know what to order. Stick to the 5 or 6 dollar footlong menu and skip the chips.
Old 08-29-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by taa455 View Post
You have to know what to order. Stick to the 5 or 6 dollar footlong menu and skip the chips.
This. Buy a big bag of chips and a case of pop at Walmart is cheaper in the end.
Old 08-29-11, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i order the 6" and get double meat. i think it's about a buck or 2 cheaper. no chips.
Old 08-29-11, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
i order the 6" and get double meat.
That's what she said.
Old 08-29-11, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't care much for Subway. It's faux healthy.
Old 08-29-11, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
This. Buy a big bag of chips and a case of pop at Walmart is cheaper in the end.
Pop? Who still refers to it as that?!?!

**Now sneaking out of the thread prior to derailment**
Old 08-29-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it depends on what you get, because you certainly didn't get the $5 combo, which is basically like ordering off the dollar menu in a fast food joint.

We have only one Sonics over here, and it is much more expensive than you describe. I also find that Wendy's is pretty pricey. And Mcdonalds which are right down the street from each other can have different prices. But if you stick to the dollar menu, it's still pretty cheap.
Old 08-29-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ever since they started the $5 thing, it seems the prices have gone up. I used to get a Club all the time, and it was $6 (when it wasn't on the $5 deal). Now it's $6.75 and called a "select" type of sandwich. In some places, it's $7.50.

I can go to Blimpie and get a Club for $5 that's bigger and tastier.
Old 08-29-11, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, the $5 options brought on higher prices for the others. But the higher end prices are for double meat etc which were previously not listed as regular menu items.

So your mid-range sandwiches are indeed more expensive now.

Sadly this means I'll stick to the $5 menu, through there are frequently coupons or specials that will let you get a more expensive sandwich for $5.
Old 08-29-11, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Their new pulled pork sandwiches are expensive. I get Subway coupons that help defray some of the costs (B1G1) but they make you buy a soda.
Old 08-29-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
Pop? Who still refers to it as that?!?!
Smart people with good hearts and clean consciences, mostly. "Soda" and "Coke" refer to specific drinks, whereas only "Pop" embraces the full gamut of carbonated soft drinks.

Old 08-29-11, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just never liked when certain sandwiches were previously $5 are now off that menu. I'd always get the tuna. And I avoid anything that is heated ie. chix, meatballs, etc as they are taxed. So that meatball may be a $5 foot long, but you have to pay tax on it as opposed to getting a black forest ham or cold cut combo for $5 out the door.
Old 08-29-11, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Can't say I've ever noticed that the heated sandwiches are taxed and the cold are not.
Old 08-29-11, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by big whoppa View Post
Their new pulled pork sandwiches are expensive.
Their pulled pork sandwiches look terrible to me, and I'm a subway fan. If you're going to get pulled pork, get it from a real BBQ place or something.
Old 08-29-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
sandwhich

What is this you speak of? I need more information.....

Old 08-29-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Their pulled pork sandwiches look terrible to me, and I'm a subway fan. If you're going to get pulled pork, get it from a real BBQ place or something.
It was just bleh. More sauce than meat. Looked all mashed.
Old 08-29-11, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I just never liked when certain sandwiches were previously $5 are now off that menu. I'd always get the tuna. And I avoid anything that is heated ie. chix, meatballs, etc as they are taxed. So that meatball may be a $5 foot long, but you have to pay tax on it as opposed to getting a black forest ham or cold cut combo for $5 out the door.
I think that's a CA our-tax-code-is-so-complicated thing. Something to do with hot prepared foods being taxed. So if you get your sandwich toasted, they charge tax.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.