Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

When Did Subway Get so Expensive?

Old 10-13-11, 04:28 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Re: When Did Subway Get so Expensive?

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain View Post
Subway smell is this kind of.... unnatural unique to subway smell that I can't even describe in any sort of equivocal food terms.
Haha no kidding, it's the worst. Their pre-packaged "meat" is so funky it's scary. And that's just the standard deli meats, the premium (lol) subs such as chicken and whatever pork (porc maybe, aka krab?) they are hawking lately, I can't even imagine how bad that has to be. I was in there recently ordering lunch for the bosses at work and someone ordered some chicken breast thing that looked more like a pre-formed Chicken McNugget without the breading.

But, wait you say! I can get a footlong premium pork abortion for only $8? Well, great, double my fun! I'll eat half now and save the rest for later! Extra sugar sauce, please!
Old 10-13-11, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I walked past one tonight that's open 24 hours. I didn't realize they did that.
there is one 2 blocks from my house. surprising since i live in a bad neighborhood. thats the only one ive ever noticed...though i dont keep my eye out or them either.

i wonder if all the prostitutes in my area eat there. they walk up and down the street right in front of it all night.
Old 10-13-11, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SubZeri View Post
Haha no kidding, it's the worst. Their pre-packaged "meat" is so funky it's scary. And that's just the standard deli meats, the premium (lol) subs such as chicken and whatever pork (porc maybe, aka krab?) they are hawking lately, I can't even imagine how bad that has to be. I was in there recently ordering lunch for the bosses at work and someone ordered some chicken breast thing that looked more like a pre-formed Chicken McNugget without the breading.

But, wait you say! I can get a footlong premium pork abortion for only $8? Well, great, double my fun! I'll eat half now and save the rest for later! Extra sugar sauce, please!
Their chicken is disgusting.

Believe it or not, they actually improved their meat quality a few years ago.
Old 10-13-11, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Their chicken is disgusting.
It's made with dead birds. Ick.
Old 10-13-11, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
It's made with dead birds. Ick.
I'd like to think it was some sort of dead animal.
Old 10-14-11, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't understand, do you guys live in areas that don't have local sub shops? I might just be spoiled in the North East, but I cannot really think of any circumstance where I would ever eat at a Subway. Whenever I'm in a shopping plaza that has one in it, the smell coming out of it usually makes me sick. Weirdly the ones that are inside Walmarts seem to be the biggest culprits.
A lot of it is convenience. Like it or not, there are a ton of them all over (I remember when they surpassed McDonald's) and sometimes there aren't other options available.

Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
there is one 2 blocks from my house. surprising since i live in a bad neighborhood. thats the only one ive ever noticed...though i dont keep my eye out or them either.

i wonder if all the prostitutes in my area eat there. they walk up and down the street right in front of it all night.
Or their customers are the same demo as the Subway customers.
Old 10-14-11, 11:50 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I don't understand, do you guys live in areas that don't have local sub shops? I might just be spoiled in the North East, but I cannot really think of any circumstance where I would ever eat at a Subway. Whenever I'm in a shopping plaza that has one in it, the smell coming out of it usually makes me sick. Weirdly the ones that are inside Walmarts seem to be the biggest culprits.
A lot of it is convenience. Like it or not, there are a ton of them all over (I remember when they surpassed McDonald's) and sometimes there aren't other options available.
A lot of it is price imo. Many people (myself included most of the time) would rather pay $5 for a 12" sub than $8 for an 8" sub. Prices vary I know, but in general all the smaller chains and mom&pop places I see are almost twice the price of Subway.
Old 10-14-11, 11:58 AM

The issue is most of the country isn't like the North East and if you don't live in a large town more than likely you don't have any sandwich shops or if you do they are terrible. * Note- I got the sickest I have ever been eating at a 'Super Subby' in Dayton OH. Screw you Super Subby you nasty ass bitch!!!

Subway isn't bad even though it's not great. Compared to other fast food places it's better than most.
Old 10-14-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

so, when you get the munchies, the first place you run is the sandwich thread?

I tried Jersey Mike's today. I can't believe they actually slice the meat right in front of you. The lunch rush must be horrifically long.
Old 10-14-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
so, when you get the munchies, the first place you run is the sandwich thread?

I tried Jersey Mike's today. I can't believe they actually slice the meat right in front of you. The lunch rush must be horrifically long.
I don't know of any local sub shops that don't do that. Hell, last time I was at a Blimpie's they slice it in front of you too, and that's a chain.
Old 10-14-11, 01:09 PM

There's a new sub shop that opened in Herndon, appears to be a chain. Ate there with a friend the other night and really enjoyed it, but forget the name. Lots of humorous signs all over the store, really fast service was part of their slogan iirc. Googling and mapquest aren't helping me find the name. (Blank) and (Blank) Subs maybe? Wasn't Firehouse.
Old 10-14-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Jimmy John's?
Old 10-14-11, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Jimmy John's?
That's it, thanks!

Wasn't quite the bang for the buck that I like, but the sub I had was quite tasty.
Old 10-14-11, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
A lot of it is price imo. Many people (myself included most of the time) would rather pay $5 for a 12" sub than $8 for an 8" sub. Prices vary I know, but in general all the smaller chains and mom&pop places I see are almost twice the price of Subway.
While I can agree that price is usually the deciding factor, I feel that quality is the selling point. Some mom/pop shops might be a little more, but if they are using quality brand cold cuts (Boars Head, Thumans, etc), I would be more interested in spending $7-8 for a smaller sub. Plus those places usually put a generous amount of meat.. much more than at Subway.

I know this place has been mentioned on here before, but if you are in PA, NJ, DE, or MD look for PrimoHoagies. They are a little pricey, but you get your money's worth with their sandwiches!
Old 10-14-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like Jimmy John's and probably would have come up with the answer if I'd read your post more closely about the funny signs and "freaky fast" service.

Their bread is very good, and as someone who doesn't like a lot of veggies and toppings, I like that they give me a price break by offering the slim option (also good when I'm not going to eat right away and don't want everything soaking into the bread).

(Their vinaigrette is very tasty and probably the only reason I regret getting a slim.)
Old 10-14-11, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drav3n View Post
While I can agree that price is usually the deciding factor, I feel that quality is the selling point. Some mom/pop shops might be a little more, but if they are using quality brand cold cuts (Boars Head, Thumans, etc), I would be more interested in spending $7-8 for a smaller sub. Plus those places usually put a generous amount of meat.. much more than at Subway.

I know this place has been mentioned on here before, but if you are in PA, NJ, DE, or MD look for PrimoHoagies. They are a little pricey, but you get your money's worth with their sandwiches!
Extremely true. Subway gives you these huge sandwiches that are filling to an extent, but I find the smaller places will give you this thing that's half the size but totally filling. And tastes way better.

Hell, even Quizno's is more filling.
Old 10-14-11, 03:37 PM

I like Jimmy John's and probably would have come up with the answer if I'd read your post more closely about the funny signs and "freaky fast" service.

Their bread is very good, and as someone who doesn't like a lot of veggies and toppings, I like that they give me a price break by offering the slim option (also good when I'm not going to eat right away and don't want everything soaking into the bread).

(Their vinaigrette is very tasty and probably the only reason I regret getting a slim.)
David, I'm sad to see that you're not hanging on my every word. I'll strive to write more gooder.

Yes, they were amazingly fast.

I like the slim options, how much cheaper are those? But actually, never mind, veggies on subs are about the only veggies I get so I better not cut those out.

I'll have to try that vinaigrette next time I'm there.
Old 10-14-11, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

David, I'm sad to see that you're not hanging on my every word. I'll strive to write more gooder.

Yes, they were amazingly fast.

I like the slim options, how much cheaper are those?
According to their site (which is a PITA by the way if you're just looking for the menu), the #5 Vitto (pretty standard Italian-type sub--I'm a traditionalist) is $4.99 while the comparative Slim-5 (two meats plus cheese) is $3.99. Interestingly, their nutritional menu shows more fat (and maybe calories too) in the slim sandwich--perhaps due to a higher concentration of yummy things.

But actually, never mind, veggies on subs are about the only veggies I get so I better not cut those out.
They do offer mayo and mustard packets, but no lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, etc.

I'll have to try that vinaigrette next time I'm there.
It is quite good on the Vitto. Not usually extra-buck-good, but good enough that I sometimes do get the Vitto.
Old 10-17-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, Jimmy John's is quite tasty. I love their bread.
Old 10-17-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by foofighters7 View Post
The issue is most of the country isn't like the North East and if you don't live in a large town more than likely you don't have any sandwich shops or if you do they are terrible. * Note- I got the sickest I have ever been eating at a 'Super Subby' in Dayton OH. Screw you Super Subby you nasty ass bitch!!!

Subway isn't bad even though it's not great. Compared to other fast food places it's better than most.
Unforuntately this is correct. Here in the midwest it's definitely true. I can't speak for Chicago but even in downtown Minneapolis, sub shops and delis are pretty hard to come by. In the burbs, they're basically non-existent. I would love to live in New York just for the food options.

I live in an affluent suburb of St. Paul and other than the grocery store, there isn't one deli in my town of like 40,000 people. We have one high end grocery store and a Cub and Rainbow. All of them have delis, but I wouldn't eat at Rainbow's deli if my life depended on it. Cub actually isn't that bad, but I frequent the high end grocery store deli all the time, but I really wish I had more options. As far as sandwich shops go...we have a bunch of Subways, a Jimmy Johns, a couple Quiznos and one place that's still a chain but a higher quality chain called Milios.

There just aren't that many options so I find myself going to Subway much more often that I would like. There used to be a "New York style" deli in my town but it lasted about 6 months. The nearest true deli is at least a 30 minute drive to downtown Minneapolis and then I'd have to park in a garage and navigate the skyway. Way too much work just to get a pastrami sandwich, even if it's really frickin good.
Old 10-17-11, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow, that's kind of incredible. While I can understand the difficulty in finding a good pastrami sandwich, I find it difficult to believe that the midwest would lack good options for that kind of thing.
Old 10-17-11, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ Good sub places are a dime a dozen, even in the smaller towns around here. Good deli? GOOD FUCKING LUCK.

Except Flakowitz's in Boynton, but oy that's a schlep...
Old 10-17-11, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Wow, that's kind of incredible. While I can understand the difficulty in finding a good pastrami sandwich, I find it difficult to believe that the midwest would lack good options for that kind of thing.
I know. It's very frustrating as somebody that lives here. If anybody here that lives in the Twin Cities knows something I don't, I'm all ears, because I'd kill for some good deli options. There just don't seem to be very many options here. Brothers in downtown Minneapolis and Cecils in St. Paul are the only true delis I can think of. That must sound completely ridiculous to somebody that lives in New York, but we just don't have that kind of stuff here. It makes no sense either. I believe Minneapolis is like the 15th or 16th largest metro area in the country. 3.2 million people live in the metro area and there are 2 places to get a pastrami sandwich.
Old 10-17-11, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, he's not lying. And MSP actually has a few options, compared to the rest of the region. (At least they did when I lived there, as there is a pretty big Jewish population that provided some options, though they were pretty expensive) I'm always completely jealous when I go out to NY.
Old 10-17-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fishmans in St. Louis Park was pretty good I thought. There was a place over in St. Paul too, but I can't remember it's name at all, it was in the Highland Park area I know.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.