Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

When Did Subway Get so Expensive?

Old 09-03-11, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: When Did Subway Get so Expensive?

Originally Posted by glassdragon View Post
My favorite one
My mom stopped eating there over 10 years ago. They started to get really cheap with the toppings. Got so bad only like half the pizza had sauce on it. Much better pizza 5 minutes down the road.
Old 09-04-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's been a few months but I was digging the $5 cold cut combo... might have to check on that tonight.
Old 10-02-11, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Based on the flood of Subway commercials I've seen during football today it seems Subway is bringing back $5 footlongs for the month of October.
Old 10-04-11, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I tried to scam them a bit the other day. I ordered a normally more than $5 sub as my $5 and then tried to use my card to get the 6" free. Didn't work.

Suffice to say, I'll be back to the $5 sub menu. (It was nice having a different sub for once, though.)
Old 10-05-11, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
Based on the flood of Subway commercials I've seen during football today it seems Subway is bringing back $5 footlongs for the month of October.
I bet they noticed the lack of business when they ended it, which is why they brought it back.
Old 10-05-11, 09:14 AM

2 footlongs, 2 bag chips, 2 cookies was under $14 for our family of 4 to eat the other night. That is cheap compared to other places.
Old 10-05-11, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2 footlongs, 2 cookies, and a big bag of chips from the adjacent grocery store would probably cost slightly less and have 3-5x more chips.

Chips and fountain sodas at Subway (or any restaurant for that matter) are huge money-makers for them. You can get more, for less, through other channels. You're paying only for the convenience, but that convenience is mighty expensive!
Old 10-05-11, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$5 Footlongs have never disappeared here in Austin. It's just a more limited menu when it's not all the sandwiches at once (5 sandwiches IIRC). I always get the Spicy Italian. Yummers. We've also got Coke here instead of in Florida where it was Pepsi, iirc.

I think that it is different by franchise.

BTW... someone was asking about people saying "Pop" when they mean to say "Coke". I automatically start talking to those people in my best Fargo accent.

I can't stop wondering what those few shades of "Other" are though. "Could I get a Fizzy, please"

Don't go to Subway much... I'm all about Which Wich. Goddamnit I love Which Wich. http://www.whichwich.com
Old 10-05-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
It's been a few months but I was digging the $5 cold cut combo... might have to check on that tonight.
About 15 years ago I used to get a 6" CCC with bacon, chips and a drink for 3.49. Those were the days!
Old 10-06-11, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not sure if mentioned, but their breakfast is still inexpensive. And some Subways serve all day. Lunch today got a 6" egg/cheese w/some veggies and a large drink for less than $4.00. Seemed like a good deal.
Old 10-06-11, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had their breakfast thing a couple times, and it was ok, but seeing the guy heating up a frozen egg white disc turned me off to eating them.
Old 10-07-11, 05:35 AM
Banned

I'm not so much upset at the prices, but at the way they cut the bread. The way they do it now, you can barely get half as much stuff in a sandwich as you could the way they used to cut it. Before, they cut the top of the bread out in a sort of wedge shape. But the last 10 or 12 years or so, they just cut through the bread like you'd cut a hoagie, which means you can't fit as much stuff in as before.
Old 10-07-11, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Loving the new $5 footlong promotion. Buffalo chicken sandwich for $5.33.
Old 10-12-11, 07:59 PM

my neighborhood Subway closed I had to go to the one at Mazza Galleria - they didn't have the $5 Tuna footlong sub
Old 10-13-11, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I walked past one tonight that's open 24 hours. I didn't realize they did that.
Old 10-13-11, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't understand, do you guys live in areas that don't have local sub shops? I might just be spoiled in the North East, but I cannot really think of any circumstance where I would ever eat at a Subway. Whenever I'm in a shopping plaza that has one in it, the smell coming out of it usually makes me sick. Weirdly the ones that are inside Walmarts seem to be the biggest culprits.
Old 10-13-11, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I only go for the daily $3.99 special (6" sandwich of the day, chips and drink) at Subways.
Old 10-13-11, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain View Post
I don't understand, do you guys live in areas that don't have local sub shops? I might just be spoiled in the North East, but I cannot really think of any circumstance where I would ever eat at a Subway. Whenever I'm in a shopping plaza that has one in it, the smell coming out of it usually makes me sick. Weirdly the ones that are inside Walmarts seem to be the biggest culprits.
The smell of baking bread makes you sick? Not much else is being cooked there.
Old 10-13-11, 10:54 AM

All my friends love this story and have me tell it from time to time so I will grace all of you with it as well.

several years back probably around 98 or 99, my friends and I were in a Subway in a little podunk town in Indiana.

I had eaten at Subway for years so I knew the routine, and nothing seemed odd about this one really.
We started ordering, my two friends first then I. They ordered without a problem.

I started with my order, everything was going fine until we got to the veggies. I asked, as I always have, for lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and extra olives.

The Indian guy (dot not feathers) making my sandwich put about 3 olives on a footlong. So I kindly ask, could I get some more olives, I like a lot of them. He promptly put 3 more on it. I then said, actually like a lot, I love Olives.

He then says "extra olives free, extra extra olives I must charge you!"
I say "I've never heard of that and I've been eating at subway for years. I don't want a jar of Olives, I just want more than your putting on it."

He says " no that is it, no more or I charge you 25 cents."

I say "Ok well I'm not paying extra for olives."

He stands there looking at me. Then says "ok what else you want on sandwich?"

I say, "No I want more olives or I'm not taking the sandwich"

He says "25 cents"

I say "keep your sandwich"

he says "you no want sandwich?"

Me- NOPE, its yours now.

He then proceeds to pick up this footlong sandwich with all of it's toppings on it and hurl it into the trash can, but the dumb bastard missed the trash can and it exploded all over the floor.

I cracked up laughing then my friends ate inside, and I sat there looking over at him laughing while he cursed to himself as he picked it up off the floor.

I then called Subway HQ about it and complained. They assured me they would take care of it and that one of their motto's was to have it made your way. No charge for veggies, only for extra cheese or meat.

The cheap bastard was probably the owner and was trying to save every cent he could. Idiot.

Needless to say I never went to that Subway again.

Still like Subway, but I certainly do not eat there as often as I once had back when they had their stamps for free 6 inch or footlong subs.
Old 10-13-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain View Post
Where I live in Orlando, there's nothing but chains for restaurants, stores, everything. When I was up in Jersey/NYC this summer I indulged so much in locally owned places it was such a nice change.
Old 10-13-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
you thing that is bad? $15 per person at wichcraft in NYC. you need like 3 of their $7 sandwiches to equal one subway
I ate there last month and it was $10. Their sandwich was OK.

The $1 slice places (2 Bros) are OK for pizza, but you get what you pay for.
Old 10-13-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by foofighters7 View Post

The Indian guy (dot not feathers) making my sandwich put about 3 olives on a footlong. So I kindly ask, could I get some more olives, I like a lot of them. He promptly put 3 more on it. I then said, actually like a lot, I love Olives.
I think that going skimpy on the olives might be some kind of corporate mandate. I've heard a lot of complaints about "three olives" on Subway sandwiches. And, yes, everyone always tells it as "they only put three olives on my sandwich." I've heard this from my mother, and a couple of friends.
Old 10-13-11, 01:26 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Where I live in Orlando, there's nothing but chains for restaurants, stores, everything. When I was up in Jersey/NYC this summer I indulged so much in locally owned places it was such a nice change.
This is correct. It's over 90% chains in FL. If you can find a decent mom & pop kind of place hold onto it like gold.
Old 10-13-11, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I think that going skimpy on the olives might be some kind of corporate mandate. I've heard a lot of complaints about "three olives" on Subway sandwiches. And, yes, everyone always tells it as "they only put three olives on my sandwich." I've heard this from my mother, and a couple of friends.
I have never had a problem ever before and never did after.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure he was just trying to be uber skimpy.

In fact I have told other Subway employees the story and they get a kick out of it. They all say, they are supposed to honor the wishes of the customer for extra ingredients free other than meats and cheeses.

I will never pay extra for olives, ever, ever.

I just love how they wasted the whole sandwich and all the profit from it for what he considered Too Many Olives.
Old 10-13-11, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I couldn't imagine the horror of living in any part of the US where it's all chain places.

Subway certainly does not smell like normal bread baking, have you ever smelled an actual bakery? Subway smell is this kind of.... unnatural unique to subway smell that I can't even describe in any sort of equivocal food terms.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.