Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

When Did Subway Get so Expensive?

Old 09-01-11, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: When Did Subway Get so Expensive?

Originally Posted by dogmatica View Post
Subway does feel expensive to me, but then again all fast food feels expensive to me. I'm pretty sure it's because when I was a teenager in the 1990s it was easy to have lunch for $5 or less. Now it seems like lunch everywhere is between $8-12.
Hell, even just 5-6 years ago you could easily snag a fast food lunch for $3.

I rarely if ever eat fast food. There are tons of hole-in-the-wall places near me that have quality food. For $5-6 I can usually get a bowl of taiwanese soup noodles, korean food, a great deli sandwich, a huge burrito, pho, or thai noodles.
Old 09-01-11, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never thought I would be having $2 lunches, but with all $1 pizza places popping up here in NY, it has become a reality.
Old 09-01-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk God

subway was always expensive until they started their $5 footlongs. if i don't want one of their $5 footlongs, i'll just go to a nicer place by my house. there's a really good deli shop a mile from my house. it's about $6.50 for a sandwich, but the quality of meat/bread is infinitely greater than any subway.
Old 09-01-11, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
I never thought I would be having $2 lunches, but with all $1 pizza places popping up here in NY, it has become a reality.
That must be some quality grub. Like going to the 99 cent store for lunch.
Old 09-01-11, 10:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
If I'm doing fast food, I often get two dollar menu items (bean burritos or mcdoubles usually) and have more than enough food for $2.10.
Old 09-01-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I rarely if ever eat fast food. There are tons of hole-in-the-wall places near me that have quality food. For $5-6 I can usually get a bowl of taiwanese soup noodles, korean food, a great deli sandwich, a huge burrito, pho, or thai noodles.
I've been going the food-truck route--usually $4-5 will get me a good-sized lunch. What I don't get are the "high end" trucks that will still have burgers for $13.

Our local government has been cracking down on the trucks lately, though, so the food's not as accessible as it used to be.
Old 09-01-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
That must be some quality grub. Like going to the 99 cent store for lunch.
Actually, the place I go to is surprisingly good...no difference between this and the regular $2.50 to $3.00 slices here in NY.
Old 09-01-11, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, the place I go to is surprisingly good...no difference between this and the regular $2.50 to $3.00 slices here in NY.
I'll take your word for it. I didn't think you could buy anything for a buck in NYC in 2011. Are you talking Manhattan? I remember paying like 6 bucks for a slice of Sbarro there 10 years ago.

Last edited by cungar; 09-01-11 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-01-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen a couple of those. $2 for a slice and a soda. It's not too bad.
Old 09-01-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Anyone know what salt smells like?
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
The ocean?

The cost of food has been skyrocketing for years, and it's going to continue to get much worse over the next few years. The prices of all food, including fast food, are way up.
Old 09-01-11, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll take your word for it. I didn't think you could buy anything for a buck in NYC in 2011. Are you talking Manhattan? I remember paying like 6 bucks for a slice of Sbarro there 10 years ago.
Yes, in Manhattan...it has become the rage here now, they are popping up all over. Some of them are only worth a buck, but there are a few which are surprisingly good. The one I go to regularly is the best I've found so far, and everyone I bring there is surprised how good it tastes for only a dollar.
Old 09-01-11, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No offense, but you were in NYC and you choose Sbarro as the pizza place to eat it?! They are the most overpriced and (in my opinion) the worst tasting pizza chain I've ever had any pizza from. You'd be surprised but there are alot of places in Manhattan where you get pizza for cheap. I don't remember the name but there was a place I went to in the Village about a year ago and got 2 slices and a drink for about $3.

But uou saying that reminded me of The Office when Michael Scott goes to NY. Unfortunately, embedding wasn't offered for this video, so you will have to click the link.

http://youtu.be/JaKuT3dIwfc

But in regards to Subway, I use to work there in high school and when I graduated high school. I never understood why everyone loved it. There was more bread and veggies than there was meat. I only would eat it then when it was free or used my discount, but rarely have been there since (which is about 7 years). The only time I might go is when they have their "customer appreciation day" and all sandwiches are BOGO. Otherwise I rather go to a real sandwich shop and spend a little more and get my money's worth.
Old 09-01-11, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drav3n View Post
No offense, but you were in NYC and you choose Sbarro as the pizza place to eat it?!
It was a family choice i.e. my grandparents chose it.
Old 09-01-11, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't usually get sandwiches when I go to Subway. My favorite thing there is their soft pretzels. Give me one of those and an unsweetened iced tea and I'm good.
Old 09-02-11, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It was a family choice i.e. my grandparents chose it.
Oh sure, blame it on the grandparents! jk
Old 09-02-11, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No offense, but you were in NYC and you choose Sbarro as the pizza place to eat it?! They are the most overpriced and (in my opinion) the worst tasting pizza chain I've ever had any pizza from. You'd be surprised but there are alot of places in Manhattan where you get pizza for cheap. I don't remember the name but there was a place I went to in the Village about a year ago and got 2 slices and a drink for about $3.

But uou saying that reminded me of The Office when Michael Scott goes to NY. Unfortunately, embedding wasn't offered for this video, so you will have to click the link.

http://youtu.be/JaKuT3dIwfc

But in regards to Subway, I use to work there in high school and when I graduated high school. I never understood why everyone loved it. There was more bread and veggies than there was meat. I only would eat it then when it was free or used my discount, but rarely have been there since (which is about 7 years). The only time I might go is when they have their "customer appreciation day" and all sandwiches are BOGO. Otherwise I rather go to a real sandwich shop and spend a little more and get my money's worth.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/nicks-pizza-forest-hills

way worse than sbarro. a pizza with a few toppings, salad and a drink or two will run you $40 with tip and tax included
Old 09-02-11, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I've been going the food-truck route--usually $4-5 will get me a good-sized lunch. What I don't get are the "high end" trucks that will still have burgers for $13.

Our local government has been cracking down on the trucks lately, though, so the food's not as accessible as it used to be.
Food trucks are huge in california, but the high-end ones are all failures. They're too expensive, the wait is too long, and the food is usually mediocre. They also tend to run out of certain ingredients rather fast. The cheap ones that are gimmicky are also terrible. There's a truck that sells Korean/mexican fusion food which is abhorrent (kimchi and cheese were never meant to go together...).

I love the ghetto taco/food truck scene. There's one truck that sells grilled cheese sandwiches that are stellar and come out really fast and hot. There are also tons of really good taco trucks that have insanely good hot sauces.

They're cracking down on them in California, but it's due to intense lobbying from local restaurants that are being crushed during lunch hours.
Old 09-02-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Food trucks are huge in california, but the high-end ones are all failures. They're too expensive, the wait is too long, and the food is usually mediocre. They also tend to run out of certain ingredients rather fast. The cheap ones that are gimmicky are also terrible. There's a truck that sells Korean/mexican fusion food which is abhorrent (kimchi and cheese were never meant to go together...).

I love the ghetto taco/food truck scene. There's one truck that sells grilled cheese sandwiches that are stellar and come out really fast and hot. There are also tons of really good taco trucks that have insanely good hot sauces.

They're cracking down on them in California, but it's due to intense lobbying from local restaurants that are being crushed during lunch hours.
We call those "Roach Coaches" ...
Old 09-02-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh sure, blame it on the grandparents! jk
Well they're dead now so let's see you disprove it!
Old 09-02-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
We call those "Roach Coaches" ...
Now they have so called Gourmet Roach Coaches all over So Cal that vie for choice parking lot spots and attract hordes of people who find them using mobile apps. Not sure if this ridiculous fad has taken hold in the rest of the country.
Old 09-02-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
http://www.yelp.com/biz/nicks-pizza-forest-hills

way worse than sbarro. a pizza with a few toppings, salad and a drink or two will run you $40 with tip and tax included
My favorite one

The reason for the 2 stars is because of the service. I stopped eating at Nick's because I had rude service not once, twice, but three times! The last time was the worst. My boyfriend at the time and I walked in and we were seated at a two top table but then a booth opened up. We didn't even order yet mind you and we asked to move over to the booth since there were no people waiting. I thought the response was a joke at first. Our server told us that once you sit down you can not switch tables, regardless if you have ordered or not. He said if we wanted to move we would have to go outside and come back in--I laughed but he wasn't joking. He was dead serious! And that was the last time I ever stepped foot into Nick's.
Old 09-02-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Same. They have rules about how far away from a food establishment the truck has to be, no parking on public streets, etc. They chased a bunch away by dropping heavy fines.
Old 09-03-11, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

dont forget -- not only has subway shot up in price, but they also got rid of their stamp cards several years ago too!

I think it used to be 1 stamp per 6", 2 stamps per footlong

8 stamps = free 6", 16 stamps = free footlong

i miss those days. You used to be able to get on eBay and buy a stack of 50 filled stamp cards for $50, typically sold by employees who stole them. Miss those days.
Old 09-03-11, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I used to work at one a loooong time ago and we had someone get canned for stealing an entire roll of those stamps. He didn't sell them though, just used them all around the state.
Old 09-03-11, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a delicious place on 29th called In and Out Pizza. $2.50 for 2 slices and a can of Coke. And the slices are fucking grub.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.