Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

When Did Subway Get so Expensive?

Old 08-30-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: When Did Subway Get so Expensive?

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I can pay $7 and get a shitty subway sandwich, or for the same $7, I can go to the local mexican place and get a burrito loaded with quality carne asada & guacamole AND a beer-battered fish taco.
I know the feeling. I'd load up on Mexican food all day, if it weren't for the unavoidable 30 minute nap afterwards.

With all of the really good, savory sub shops popping up (Jersey Mike's, Jason's Deli, Paradise Bakery, etc.) I think that Subway just coasts on popularity.
Old 08-30-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
I know the feeling. I'd load up on Mexican food all day, if it weren't for the unavoidable 30 minute crap afterwards.
Old 08-30-11, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I think that's a CA our-tax-code-is-so-complicated thing. Something to do with hot prepared foods being taxed. So if you get your sandwich toasted, they charge tax.
A toast tax?! That's crazy!
Old 08-30-11, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
i don't think that's real meat they are using, and i pass one by on the way to work and it just smells like salt
So as usual, you have nothing.

I don't mind Subway; I always stick with turkey when I go there, and a footlong is $6 so it doesn't seem that expensive to me. Chips and a drink for $2+ more is too expensive.
Old 08-30-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
I know the feeling. I'd load up on Mexican food all day, if it weren't for the unavoidable 30 minute nap afterwards.

With all of the really good, savory sub shops popping up (Jersey Mike's, Jason's Deli, Paradise Bakery, etc.) I think that Subway just coasts on popularity.
I would hit up other sandwich shops if there were any. There's a Jason's Deli where I live but not where I work, which is a small town about 30 minutes away. So, my sandwich choices are Subway and Quizno's. Honestly, either one of those makes me shrug, but again, there aren't that many lunch options here. I should start packing my lunch and find a place outside the office to eat because I just *have* to get that 1-hour escape each day.
Old 08-30-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Large grocery store chains with a deli usually have subs/sandwiches cheaper than Subway. Here in NoVA, Harris Teeter's has $5 12" subs on Fridays and they don't skimp on the ingredients. Plus, you earn 1 point on the 6" & 2 points on the 12" subs. Once you've accumulated 15 points, you get a free 12" sub. It's a pretty good deal.
Old 08-30-11, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Publix still has one of the best "massed produced" sandwiches anywhere. I can't remember the exact cost, but a giant sub was like $7-$8?...and it lasted at least 2 lunches.
Old 08-30-11, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue View Post
Publix still has one of the best "massed produced" sandwiches anywhere. I can't remember the exact cost, but a giant sub was like $7-$8?...and it lasted at least 2 lunches.
The large turkey is about $6.50. It's just one meal for me, though.
Old 08-31-11, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All the Subway's in this area did away with the $5 dollar footlongs in January and now only have one 5 dollar sub of the month. It's usually some crap you wouldn't eat if it was free. I haven't been back since.
Old 08-31-11, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There are definitely better sandwiches in town. We go to other "nicer" sandwich places (Urbane Cafe is great around here) when we want something nice. But I honestly don't even view them as the same thing.

I go to Subway because I can get a footlong on fresh bread loaded with veggies for $5. If the price went up too much above $5, like it sounds like it has for some here, I would start to reconsider.

But feeding my wife and I at Urbane Cafe, while a more satisfying meal, runs closer to $15 than $5.
Old 08-31-11, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

1.Publix is delicious, and with Boar's Head meat, blows away pretty much any other sandwich shop here.

2.All of the Subway's here (Tampa) have kept the $5 footlongs for most sandwiches, at least I think they have.
Old 08-31-11, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
There are definitely better sandwiches in town. We go to other "nicer" sandwich places (Urbane Cafe is great around here) when we want something nice. But I honestly don't even view them as the same thing.

I go to Subway because I can get a footlong on fresh bread loaded with veggies for $5. If the price went up too much above $5, like it sounds like it has for some here, I would start to reconsider.

But feeding my wife and I at Urbane Cafe, while a more satisfying meal, runs closer to $15 than $5.
Jerry's deli has become a former shadow of itself.

There's a deli near me that does a great 8" sub for $5. They use real sliced turkey too.
Old 08-31-11, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

you thing that is bad? $15 per person at wichcraft in NYC. you need like 3 of their $7 sandwiches to equal one subway
Old 08-31-11, 10:23 AM

Subway does feel expensive to me, but then again all fast food feels expensive to me. I'm pretty sure it's because when I was a teenager in the 1990s it was easy to have lunch for $5 or less. Now it seems like lunch everywhere is between $8-12.
Old 08-31-11, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Making stuff at home is a lot more expensive than it used to be as well.
Old 08-31-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always go to subway over the local deli because their meat is so fresh
i don't think that's real meat they are using, and i pass one by on the way to work and it just smells like salt

Old 08-31-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone know what salt smells like?
Old 08-31-11, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Anyone know what salt smells like?
The ocean?
Old 08-31-11, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dogmatica View Post
Subway does feel expensive to me, but then again all fast food feels expensive to me. I'm pretty sure it's because when I was a teenager in the 1990s it was easy to have lunch for $5 or less. Now it seems like lunch everywhere is between $8-12.
Making stuff at home is a lot more expensive than it used to be as well.
Both of these things are so true. There's only one place that I know of around here that's a guaranteed $5 or less meal, and even then, it's seasonal. It's only at certain times that they have a daily $3.99 deal. And when I think about all the things that I could pack at home to eat at lunch, many of the items are surprisingly pricey or not very filling.
Old 08-31-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was at Subway today.

For $5 you could get 4 or 5 different footlongs (I got a BLT, they were generous on the bacon which was surprising)

Or, you could get a 6" with drink and chips for $5.

Or, also for $5 you can get a 6" sandwich and soup.

The most expensive ones were $7.50 for a footlong, until you get to the double meat options.
Old 08-31-11, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On the spectrum of fast food, subway is pretty decent food-wise and middle-of-the road price-wise. Their fresh bread is excellent, meat is no worse than most fast food, and they do have an overall "healthier" menu. The simple fact that they don't have fries helps set them apart there.

Price-wise, I have trouble getting a meal for much less than ~$7 at any fast food place. The only time I'm under $5 is if I stick to the Wendy's value menu. The typical combo I get there (Spicy Chicken) is over $6, as is my typical combo at Arby's (medium RB). A subway footlong is notably larger than either of those sandwiches, so I wouldn't expect the meal price to be comparable.
Old 08-31-11, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife gets sandwiches from Subway more than I do, I'd rather get a quality sandwich from the deli, made with Boars Head.
Old 09-01-11, 12:14 AM
X
Administrator

I just passed a Subway sign that said you could get 2 regular footlongs for $8.99 after 4pm. That doesn't sound too bad, but then I don't know what's in a regular footlong.
Old 09-01-11, 01:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by X View Post
I just passed a Subway sign that said you could get 2 regular footlongs for $8.99 after 4pm. That doesn't sound too bad, but then I don't know what's in a regular footlong.
A couple local stores used to have 3 footlongs for $9.99 after 4pm, but I imagine they've stopped that deal.
Old 09-01-11, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay, assuming you get a lot of veggies, choose a low fat meat and go light on the dressing, what is unhealthy about subway? HFCS in the bread?

I dont care for Subway. The sandwiches look like limp dicks compared to what they advertise and they say they have all these healthy subs but the sodium in them is really extremely high. A long time ago Subway was awesome now not so much.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.