Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

When Did Subway Get so Expensive?

Old 08-29-11, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: When Did Subway Get so Expensive?

The $5 ones are just fine. Just make sure you add an appropriate amount of sauces and veggies so you can get your money's worth.

And the combos will always be more expensive. Chips and soda do indeed bring up the bill and they should be avoided at these places.
Old 08-29-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I think that's a CA our-tax-code-is-so-complicated thing. Something to do with hot prepared foods being taxed. So if you get your sandwich toasted, they charge tax.
That blows. I'm not in CA, but it seems lame. And then the person ringing you up has to know whether the thing was heated or not (I guess the temperature might give it away), or worse, they get confused and charge you tax when you shouldn't be charged.

I'm so cheap that I generally get whatever's $5, even though that means ordering the cold cut combo instead of the Italian BMT or Spicy Italian.

One of the reasons I stopped hitting Quizno's was that the price seemed higher than other fast-food options. That, and getting Jimmy John's nearby.

Originally Posted by adrenaline78 View Post
The $5 ones are just fine. Just make sure you add an appropriate amount of sauces and veggies so you can get your money's worth.
That's the thing: I don't like a lot of sauces and veggies so it's not a benefit to me. Another thing I like about Jimmy John's is that I can get a Slim and they will charge me less for not getting the things I don't want anyway.
Old 08-29-11, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

$7-$8 for a sandwich....I better be getting a good sandwich from a local deli that uses quality meat!
Old 08-29-11, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Preterite View Post
... "Soda" and "Coke" refer to specific drinks...
Soda is a generic term.

And I normally stop by Subway only when they have the coupons - I got a footlong sub and a soda for $5.50, after tax today. Since I'm eating low-carb I just dump the subs onto the paper and have a salad, throwing away the bread.

Why don't I just get a salad? A salad would cost $5.50 by itself (before tax, and no drink), and I would get the meat / cheese of a 6" sandwich. My way I get twice the meat & cheese, same amounts of vegetables - the only thing is I don't get as much lettuce.
Old 08-29-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Subway sucks. I have to agree, after the $5 thing, they went cosmic with their prices. Probably to make up for lost profits on their stupid campaign.

In any case, their meat is shitty, and is not even worth half what they charge. I just make my own now.
Old 08-29-11, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I think that's a CA our-tax-code-is-so-complicated thing. Something to do with hot prepared foods being taxed. So if you get your sandwich toasted, they charge tax.
My first job in high school was a Food Lion cashier. I noticed that customers using food stamps could only buy cold food with the EBT card. Anything hot from the deli was ineligible for food stamps. I kind of understood it but sometimes I was thinking "geez what's the difference whether it's heated up at the store or back at home?"
Old 08-29-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd like to see a map for sub sandwich generic names. When I lived in Connecticut they were called Grinders. I've heard torpedoes a few places as well. I think subs are the most common though.
Old 08-29-11, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

In addition, I always thought hot foods would be better-served for EBT-qualifying individuals because they probably don't have a convenient oven or kitchen to feed their kids. No wonder so much sugar cereals and "hot pockets" are bought for kids.
Old 08-29-11, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I eat at Subway a ton lately. Got a football booster card for the local HS team. It has a "buy a ft. long and medium drink and get a 6" free" space. I do the survey for the free cookie.

So, when I leave, I get probably $11+ worth of food (at least off the menu) for $6.60 and I get dinner for one night and lunch for the next day. (Also, I've rarely done it, but I think as long as it's a 6", I can probably get any of the subs free, though I usually stick with tuna or, occasionally, buffalo chicken.)

Pretty good value, specifically with that card.
Old 08-29-11, 09:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I generally refuse to pay more than $5 for a meal at a fast food restaurant. At Subway I get a $5 foot long and water.
Old 08-29-11, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Subway was always shit. Now it's over-priced shit.
Old 08-30-11, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
Soda is a generic term.
So if someone asked you for a "whiskey and soda", you'd want them to specify Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper?

It's better than "Coke", anyway. I had a co-worker who was originally from Tennessee. We'd go to lunch and it would be like an Abbott and Costello routine:

"What kind of Coke do y'all have?"
"Regular and Diet."
"Oh, y'all don't have Sprite?"
"Sure, we have Sprite, Diet Sprite, root beer..."
"Well, I asked you want kind of Coke y'all had!"
"Regular and Diet!"
Old 08-30-11, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I generally refuse to pay more than $5 for a meal at a fast food restaurant. At Subway I get a $5 foot long and water.
My thoughts exactly. Over here on the east coast they still have the 5 dollar menu.
Old 08-30-11, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I always get a turkey footlong combo and it's never over $9. Still expensive though...because at almost any other sub shop I'll save half for later, but Subway's aren't very filling even when I load up on veggies.
Old 08-30-11, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I always go to subway over the local deli because their meat is so fresh
Old 08-30-11, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I only go to mine when they have a 2 for $9 3 for $12 footlong deal, which is quite often.
Old 08-30-11, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So if someone asked you for a "whiskey and soda", you'd want them to specify Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper?

It's better than "Coke", anyway. I had a co-worker who was originally from Tennessee. We'd go to lunch and it would be like an Abbott and Costello routine:

"Regular and Diet."
"Regular and Diet!"
Personally, I always ask for a sarsaparilla.

I'm always surprised.
Old 08-30-11, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"Regular and Diet."
"Regular and Diet!"
And sometimes when you ask for a pop you get punched in the face. Or, your dad says "what do you want son?"
I use the term pop, but I also say soda or even soda pop and feel it's generic enough. In a restaurant I may say soft drinks. I can't picture using coke as a generic reference.
Old 08-30-11, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found some printable $0.50/$1.00 coupons for a few Subways near me at MoneyMailer. They're the outfit that mails coupon packets to your house about once per month.

A similar outfit called ValPak might have some as well.

Last edited by GMan2819; 08-30-11 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-30-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can pay $7 and get a shitty subway sandwich, or for the same $7, I can go to the local mexican place and get a burrito loaded with quality carne asada & guacamole AND a beer-battered fish taco. Or I can get two double-doubles at In&Out, with money left over. You have options people!
Old 08-30-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I don't care much for Subway. It's faux healthy.
Yep. Once you realize that Subway isn't all that healthy you can't find a reason to go there. If I want to eat a good sub and I'm not counting calories I'm going to Quiznos. If I want to eat healthy I get a salad or a wrap from various other places.
Old 08-30-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, assuming you get a lot of veggies, choose a low fat meat and go light on the dressing, what is unhealthy about subway? HFCS in the bread?
Old 08-30-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Okay, assuming you get a lot of veggies, choose a low fat meat and go light on the dressing, what is unhealthy about subway? HFCS in the bread?
Nothing really.
Old 08-30-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
i don't think that's real meat they are using, and i pass one by on the way to work and it just smells like salt
Old 08-30-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, fake meat and smells of salt. Got it. Boycott time!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.