Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

When Did Subway Get so Expensive?

Old 09-02-19, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: When Did Subway Get so Expensive?

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Another great alternative to Subway are most grocery stores, where (besides pre-made sandwiches) most of them have sandwich counters where they'll make a great sandwich for you, far better than subway, and a little cheaper as well.
Yep. The Publix deli is truly awesome - you can order in-store or with the app, or buy one of their pre-made sandwiches. Man... I could really go to a Publix Cuban right now!

We have a Harris Teeter just down the street that has a sub bar, pizza bar, Asian bar, sushi bar, salad bar, olive bar... even a trail mix bar. Their sandwiches are pretty good, but not as good as Publix. Plus, Harris Teeter's app won't let you even look at the pizza\sub menu after 7PM, for no good reason at all.
Old 09-06-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Ooh, just got some Subway coupons in the mail. Lunch!
Old 09-06-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post

Had banh mi when at Legoland. The pork was kinda ok, but they chicken was just awful. I have had plenty of food banh mi tho.

Jersey Mike's is kinda pricey but great for a chain store.
You had Banh Mi in Legoland or around Legoland (like at a Lee's)?
Old 09-06-19, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
You had Banh Mi in Legoland or around Legoland (like at a Lee's)?
In Legoland. It's in the ninjago area
Old 09-06-19, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post

In Legoland. It's in the ninjago area
Ah, right. I'd say theme park food isn't the best way to try banh mi (though I am always tempted to get those chinese buns at ninjago) if you haven't had it before, especially with how dirt cheap it is elsewhere. But that french bread can cut your mouth up if you're not careful.
Old 09-09-19, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Ah, right. I'd say theme park food isn't the best way to try banh mi (though I am always tempted to get those chinese buns at ninjago) if you haven't had it before, especially with how dirt cheap it is elsewhere. But that french bread can cut your mouth up if you're not careful.
Bread was decent and nicely toasted but you had to eat it quick or it gets soggy. You are right about the sharpness of the bread when toasted. The main issue was the chicken was just so plain. The sauce and flavor was Americanized which is fine. The pork was a bit chewy but decent. I might try the bao buns if we go again.

They also have a rice option as well.

If you get the egg rolls, know that they are Chinese style not Vietnamese style. And these are probably frozen ones like at Costco or whatever, not freshly made. Not unexpected for a theme park, just letting you know.

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 09-09-19 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-09-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This commercial for their new pit smoked Brisket sandwich is really pissing me off. Slow smoked for 13 hours? Come on!
Old 09-09-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
This commercial for their new pit smoked Brisket sandwich is really pissing me off. Slow smoked for 13 hours? Come on!
Reminds me of Apu in the Family Guy/Simpsons crossover.

Slow smoked for 13 hours daily....And then, several days later, we receive them and make them available for purchase.
Old 09-09-19, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by story View Post
Just got one of those local business discount cards from the local high school football team for $20 and the manor discount is unlimited BOGO Jersey Mike's for a year. I haven't had but I appreciate hearing from many of you here that it's good stuff.
Today I used the card for another discount at a place I'd only been to once before, Firehouse Subs. The card has unlimited buy a sandwich at regular price, get a free drink and bag of chips. Decided to give it a shot.

When I went the first time last year, it was good, but a little spendy. This time, though, I was impressed four times over. First, they have a brand-new Coke Freestyle machine with lots of good non-pop choices. Then, they had Funyuns. Not everyone likes Funyuns, fine. But those are my favorite chips and I can't remember the last place I've seen them as an option in the restaurant. Third, the sandwich was great. Had the BBQ brisket and with a few onions and peppers and I was impressed. And finally, when the sandwich was done, I pulled back the wrapper and there was a dill pickle slice. I love dill pickles and I didn't know there would be one there. I was impressed and I will be back again!
Old 09-12-19, 08:14 AM

Subway has been a steady rise in cost due to the steady rise of food costs in general. My only complaint with Subway is when they changed their rewards program. They did get a bit leaner and stingier on that.
Old 09-12-19, 12:03 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Speaking of rewards, just got home from getting my free birthday sub at my 3 local Jersey Mike’s and Firehouse Subs.