Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Hurrican Irene 2011 - or should I still go to OBX?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 08-25-11, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a house all rented (luckily with hurricane insurance) in Southern Shores starting Saturday. Supposed to go with the fam (wife and 2 kids - 3 and 8 mos.), her parents, brother and his wife. And the damn hurricane appears to be headed right there - and by all accounts will be fierce. Is it realistic to think we can still go Sunday or Monday? Or will the area be so messed up, there's really no shot? I have no idea what a storm like this would do down there.

If we try now, we may be able to find an alternative location in Southern SC which is not supposed to be hit as hard - but I'm not sure even that is a realistic alternative. Any other ideas? Looking for something drivable from the DC area... Just need a pool and other fun stuff to do - the wife is not a fan of lakes which is unfortunate.
Old 08-25-11, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 145 Likes on 110 Posts
Re: Hurrican Irene 2011 - or should I still go to OBX?

I would avoid. If they decide to evacuate the area you wouldn't be able to get in, I would imagine. If they don't you'd be subjected to not having electricity, water...etc. Doesn't sound like much fun.

Or the storm might weaken and all you'd get is a little rain. Just won't know until it happens so why take a chance?
Old 08-25-11, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the area will most likely be evacuated. you could easily just come down monday or tuesday and probably have no issues as long as the place you plan on staying in isn't damaged. i've rode out quite a few hurricanes down there, trust me it's no fun and i don't recommend it. this one looks like it could be bad.
Old 08-25-11, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think there's any point in going given the forecasts. Latest updates have the entire I-95 corridor from NC up to ME directly in the line of fire.
Old 08-25-11, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i'd call and see what the leasing agent says. and at least find out who determines if you get your money back or not.
Old 08-25-11, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I got hit with this in PR when it was a Tropical Storm a couple of days ago. Its caused chaos around the island and i have no electricity at the moment (along with around 500,000 other people i believe). My advice is get prepared and stock up. Hope it does not hit any fellow board members too bad. Be safe people.
Old 08-25-11, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like there is a mandatory evacuation for tourists in the area so I guess we couldn't go even if we wanted to. Time to look for plan B. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-25-11, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by orangerory View Post
Sounds like there is a mandatory evacuation for tourists in the area so I guess we couldn't go even if we wanted to. Time to look for plan B. Thanks for the advice.
Damn, I was just going to tell you that you should go by yourself and post updates, pictures and videos, as the storm moves in.

Old 08-25-11, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
I got hit with this in PR when it was a Tropical Storm a couple of days ago. Its caused chaos around the island and i have no electricity at the moment (along with around 500,000 other people i believe). My advice is get prepared and stock up. Hope it does not hit any fellow board members too bad. Be safe people.
wait, you still in PR? I thought you went back to the UK.
Old 08-25-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

And I was heading to the beach for 8 days on Friday night. Figures. Guess I'll have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to go. I better go to the grocery store tonight before the carbon blobs invade it tomorrow night.

I guess it could be worse. Could be in the Bahamas which must be getting decimated.
Old 08-25-11, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say pfftttt to their so called experts. This storm will lazily stray off and not get anywhere near your beach house.

You need to be a man in front of your family. We know you don't want to look like an emasculated pussy, right?

Show your family your the decider, and that no little hurricane is gonna F up their, no, YOUR vacation!

Head to your beach house and don't take any crap from policemen who are spewing fear propaganda like "Sir, the beach is gone, people are strewn across the roads, you cannot go that way", or "Sir, the area is closed, power lines down everywhere, if you go your family will die". None of that craziness.

We all know the police are in the pocket of 'Big Weather'. Think about it, every time you watch the Weather channel and there's some disaster...Who's always there, hanging around?...Exactly!

Show your family who's boss, go down there and you have a good week!
Old 08-25-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On the way to the grocery store awhile ago they said they are evacuating all tourists. You couldn't get in if you wanted to go now.

Use that insurance.
Old 08-25-11, 11:14 AM

^
closed roads are tactics they use to keep stupid people from snooping around. It wouldn't apply to anyone here, I'm sure.

That's why God created the woods. You might have to go off road to get to your desired, and God Given, location.

OP- Don't let these Weather Apologist get you down. You can do it!
Old 08-25-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ Not sure how familiar you are with OBX. It's one road in and one road out. I'm just passing the word. If he wants to go for it by all means.
Old 08-25-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We were on the Outer Banks during a hurricane that way off shore. The main road through was flooded out and closed. My in-laws were stuck down island in Hatteras and we were stuck in our rental in Kitty Hawk. Police then came to the house and evacuated us to a local hotel. The hotel called our room at 4:00 AM to inform us that the parking lot had flooded. My car was in 4 feet of water. It was truly a horrible experience. Stay home. This is partly the reason we now go to Martha's Vineyard and we go mid summer.

Everywhere in the East Coast is going to have nasty weather. You could go to Jersey shore but it will also get hit pretty hard. At the minimum, you are going to see LOTS of rain.
Old 08-25-11, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Looks like the forecasters have nudged the track westward, taking it over more NC land and a dead aim for the Delmarva. That's not good. Been a long time since Delmarva has taken a direct hit.
Old 08-25-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just filled up my wife's van; gas stations already getting pretty crowded, with people not only filling up their cars but putting extra fuel in gas cans, etc. And it's still two and a half days from us.

One--and only one--computer model I saw this morning had this thing going even further west and marching inland not only up the Delmarva but into southeastern New York State, Pennsylvania, etc. Although it's pretty much guaranteed these areas will feel the effects to some degree, the NHC isn't predicting the eye to go that far west. But who knows what could happen; the track has changed a lot, and quickly.
Old 08-25-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Who knows something about gas powered generators? My wife is paranoid that our sump pump won't work because the power will go out. You just fill it with gas, start it, and plug shit into it, right? Now I have to figure out what I might need.
Old 08-25-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Who knows something about gas powered generators? My wife is paranoid that our sump pump won't work because the power will go out. You just fill it with gas, start it, and plug shit into it, right? Now I have to figure out what I might need.
Well, here is a quick brain dump on it:

- The answer to your question is yes.
- Generac is a good brand most home improvement stores carry for larger (6000watt +). The little hondas the size of a playmate cooler are great for smaller needs.
- Become very familar with the equation: Watts = Volts * Amps so you know what capacity you have to plug in when getting ready
- For a multi-day event, you will need a lot of gas
- Try to get one with an auto-idle. It runs at idle until power is demanded (like a sump pump) and then revs up to supply needs. Perfect for a sump pump and conserving gas
- You will want a small generator until you get it home, use it for the sump pump, and then start thinking about other stuff you can plug into it so get the bigger one (satellite receiver is nothing, plasma is a lot, tube tv is nothing, charging cell phones nothing, etc)
- Use fuel stabilizer in off season
- electric starts are nice if the wife or other will be trying to start. They have a nicad battery you leave on trickle charge until power goes out. These require some major muscle to pull start.
- Use the biggest, lowest guage cords you can. Smaller cords = more resistance. Usually they come with one good one.
- Don't backfeed through outlets, if you energize your panel, disconnect the mains so you don't fry some poor power company guy and don't ruin the generator when power comes back
- Keep the airfilter dry, have some spares if worried about flooding outside, it will contaminate oil with water and keep it from running
- In a disaster, chain it up with a lock, they are worth gold then.
- not to insult, but run outside, not in basement or garage of course

That is what I have right now for ya!

Last edited by Jeeden; 08-25-11 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-25-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah - I just bought a generator (no idea how it works - I hope that's it). Now I'm worried about DC.

And we go to Martha's Vineyard, too (with my family). Outer Banks is with my wife's family.
Old 08-25-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

- Keep the airfilter dry, have some spares if worried about flooding outside, it will contaminate oil with water and keep it from running
But if the thing is outside running in a monsoon, is this possible? Are they not meant to be run in the rain?

I think I need a little one until I get a plumber out to build in some redundancy in my sump pump and install a battery backup. Power doesn't go out often. I'd like a big one but they are too freakin' big and heavy to move around. I suppose you need a permanent location for those suckers.
Old 08-25-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, there is it being in the rain and then there is completely wet. If the filter is saturated, it won't do well (if this happens and the oil gets water in it, you need to drain the oil, new oil, new filter).

It should be fine even in the worst rain, just don't let it get submerged when running or prior to running.

The big ones are heavy, but most come with wheels and foldable handles and they are in a steal frame like this (will run all the lights, cable boxes, coffee makers, etc you want, just no (or one at a time and nothing else) major appliances):

This is the small type of honda one I mentioned:

The really big ones should be placed on a small slab and are the size of a heat pump outdoor unit. Unless you accidentaly drop $10k + on a generator, you are in no danger of getting one of those
Old 08-26-11, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Latest models have a eyewall event over Manhatten, some promets are calling for cat 3-4 level storm surge up and down the mid atlantic/Northeast.

Oh, New moon is on August 28th, which also complicates the storm surges.
Old 08-26-11, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i live on the third floor of an apartment building that is on top of a hill. i'll be watching non stop kids blu ray's and carp on netflix this weekend
Old 08-26-11, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
i live on the third floor of an apartment building that is on top of a hill. i'll be watching non stop kids blu ray's and carp on netflix this weekend
If you have power........................or a generator...........................

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.