Reload this Page >

Raccoons in attic...

Other Talk "Otterville"

Raccoons in attic...

Old 08-12-11, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Raccoons in attic...

Well, The trap has been set for a say and a half. nothing has been caught. I heard noises in the attic last night, I have heard noises for the last few weeks. I assumed it was a rat, so I had put rat traps up there. I put the radio up there, I am not sure what else to do. I will probably call the trappers back to see what they can do. According to them, no matter how many time they come back for the trap it is covered on the initial charge.

Now I am worried about the feces making my family sick. If the raccoon has been up there a few weeks (or longer if I didn't hear it) there probably is a good but up there.
Old 08-12-11, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Racoons in attic...

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
You have to kill them, though I hate the idea of drowning animals. I'd shoot it, or club it.
Yeah, if you have varmints to deal with in a residential setting an investment in something like an Airforce Talon SS is money well spent. Very quiet as it has a suppression system built in, so it can be used in a neighborhood. It will deliver a very accurate shot with more than enough energy on the round. You can even mount a scope on it.

Pffft! Dead varmint.
Old 08-12-11, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually went with drowning after the local fish and wildlife authority told me it was more humane.
Old 03-07-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything ever happen with the end of this story? What did it end up being?

I am going through this right now. It is nesting in the ceiling of the addition we put on our house. There is a gap outside the house where the new addition met the existing structure. The fucker is climbing through that hole, up to the second story and nesting in the ceiling in the hallway near my bedroom.

Keeps me up all damn night.

I saw him go under my porch, heard him climbing up to the second floor and then ran upstairs and heard him up there.

We had trappers come by yesterday but all I caught last night was a cat. I'm tempted to stand guard with a BB Gun tonight to see if he comes in or out.
Old 03-07-13, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

I put my vermit in little deathtrap suits. Like in Saw. It's humane because they find out if their life is really worth living.
Old 03-07-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went throught this. It sucked, but it ended up being very worth the effort. I had terrible insulation in my attic anyway, so having it replaced ended up saving $100-$200 a month off of peek heating and electric bills. Little bastards ripped off siding though!
Old 03-07-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My insurance company just told me they don't cover this and the pest control company told me I had to rip out all he sheetrock in my ceiling and replace the insulation. I also have to rip up my deck.
Old 03-07-13, 09:24 PM

You can kill Bambi if you want...but leave Sly Cooper alone.
Old 03-07-13, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raccoon

"While overturned waste containers and raided fruit trees are just a nuisance to homeowners, it can cost several thousand dollars to repair damage caused by the use of attic space as dens"