Reload this Page >

How Do People Get So Fat?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 07-01-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is always a popular topic around here.

I was at a meeting last week and there was a woman there whom I see every 3-4 months at meetings. I'd say she's about 35ish. When she was first hired, she was slim and somewhat attractive.

Every subsequent meeting, I notice her packing on pounds. Then I see her at a meeting last week and she is HUGE. Like a 3 foot wide butt huge. Her head and shoulders still look normal but from the chest down she got immense.

So my question is this. How does this happen? Don't you see yourself before this point and try and control what you eat? Or do you just keep eating an insane amount of calories and hope you stay the same? It's understandable that people pack on some pounds as they get older but I just don't see how one can go from a 200lb overweight to 300lbs without catching yourself in the middle. (Or say 170lb woman to 250lbs.)
Old 07-01-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: How Do People Get So Fat?

In her case, it sounds like more than just eating.
Old 07-01-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Like what?
Old 07-01-11, 02:59 PM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe she quit smoking.
Old 07-01-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I read an article about this today -- larger portions and more snacks. News at 11!
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can say from experience as a former 400 lb man, that when you get to the super-obese levels it isn't just because you are lazy and eat too much. It is because of depression and such. Most super-obese people have some kind of trauma that they can't escape and use food for comfort. It becomes a vicious cycle of being depressed and eating for comfort and becoming even more depressed because you eat.
DVD Talk Hero

I think for the most part, people are unhappy. Eating can feel good combined with sitting on your ass at a computer desk will pack on the pounds.

I saw the same thing at my old job. I remember when this girl first got hired on. She was the hot girl in the office. Petite with big tits and slender body. Just two years later she was plenty thick with a fat ass. It was a damn shame but very common in my office. I imagine it is at a lot of workplaces.

As for physically gaining weight, I don't know. I feel nauseous if I eat too much. If I have a burger or sandwich at a place like Fridays for lunch I'll be done eating for the rest of the day.

But like I said, I think most people are unhappy.
Old 07-01-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Perhaps. But my question still remains. How does one get immense? I can understand getting chubby and then saying, shit, I have to cut out the big lunches and deserts.
Old 07-01-11, 03:03 PM
Suspended

You get fat from eating everything you see. Like if your kid hit and killed a squirrel and you just have to eat it.
Old 07-01-11, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The unhappy angle makes sense.

I'm with Popcorn. Smaller portions are something that I got used to later in life when I noticed my metabolism wouldn't do it on it's own any longer. But now, it's all I want and overeating makes me feel like crap.
Old 07-01-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

marriage....?
Old 07-01-11, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Minor Threat View Post
marriage....?
One would think someone would make an attempt to look decent for their spouse.
Old 07-01-11, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't hate you because you're fat.... you're fat because I hate you.
Old 07-01-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
So my question is this. How does this happen? Don't you see yourself before this point and try and control what you eat? Or do you just keep eating an insane amount of calories and hope you stay the same? It's understandable that people pack on some pounds as they get older but I just don't see how one can go from a 200lb overweight to 300lbs without catching yourself in the middle. (Or say 170lb woman to 250lbs.)
Being someone that went from slim to fat (and back to slim now) ... it's easier than you think. You see her every few months, so changes are easy to notice. But day-by-day, it sneaks up on you. It doesn't even seem like an insane amount of calories when it's happening. And there doesn't have to be some kind of deep psychological issue going on. It can be simple lifestyle changes. For example, work getting so busy you don't have time to work out. Let's say someone gets moderate exercise in their life - 5 workouts a week/400 calories burned a workout. If you keep eating the same but lose the exercise, that's 2000 calories a week more - about an extra 30 pounds/year (yeah I know that's simplistic - but if anything you'd probably gain more since your metabolism is revved down).
Old 07-01-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So it's about eating. I walk the dogs and take an occasional bike ride and do lawn work. I don't "work out." But I'm strange. I open a Reeses Peanut Butter cup and eat one and save the other for the next day. I eat salads (or some <=300 calorie lunch) for lunch and an apple for breakfast.

Usually, these overweight people say they dont eat but they invariably are the ones bringing in donuts or have a stash of junk food in their desk drawer.
Old 07-01-11, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One would think someone would make an attempt to look decent for their spouse.
Could also be a way to avoid sex.
Old 07-01-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now that's just sad.
Old 07-01-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why is any aspect of a person's life less than perfect? People are imperfect.
Old 07-01-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sure, I had a big gut and I had to start buying weird sized pants. Then I woke up and changed. My question is why do people pass these milestones and just keep going until they are wearing those tent sized clothes?

I remember that not only did I have to buy larger size waists but I started buying shorter lengths because even with the larger waist, the pants hung lower. And I was only a 34. I can't imagine getting to 38 or higher.
Old 07-01-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anecdotal evidence from watching my friends says people gain weight after getting married. I vaguely recall reading about a study that showed this is usually the case but can't remember where.

...but none of that answers your question.
Old 07-01-11, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

So it's about eating. I walk the dogs and take an occasional bike ride and do lawn work. I don't "work out." But I'm strange. I open a Reeses Peanut Butter cup and eat one and save the other for the next day. I eat salads (or some <=300 calorie lunch) for lunch and an apple for breakfast.

Usually, these overweight people say they dont eat but they invariably are the ones bringing in donuts or have a stash of junk food in their desk drawer.
Well, snack/junk foods can be sneakily ruinous when it comes to weight control. It doesn't feel like you're eating a lot. It's so easy to open a bag of chips and munch - and eat a large portion of your daily recommended calories without even feeling like you're stuffing yourself. And donuts/candies/other junk food are the same.
Old 07-01-11, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Well, snack/junk foods can be sneakily ruinous when it comes to weight control. It doesn't feel like you're eating a lot. It's so easy to open a bag of chips and munch - and eat a large portion of your daily recommended calories without even feeling like you're stuffing yourself. And donuts/candies/other junk food are the same.
I think THAT is the number one problem. It's pretty simple to glance at the calories per serving and get a general feel for what you are consuming throughout the day. It's also a good idea to get an idea of what your limit should be for any given day.
Old 07-01-11, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Being someone that went from slim to fat (and back to slim now) ... it's easier than you think. You see her every few months, so changes are easy to notice. But day-by-day, it sneaks up on you. It doesn't even seem like an insane amount of calories when it's happening. And there doesn't have to be some kind of deep psychological issue going on. It can be simple lifestyle changes. For example, work getting so busy you don't have time to work out. Let's say someone gets moderate exercise in their life - 5 workouts a week/400 calories burned a workout. If you keep eating the same but lose the exercise, that's 2000 calories a week more - about an extra 30 pounds/year (yeah I know that's simplistic - but if anything you'd probably gain more since your metabolism is revved down).
This... it sneaks up on you. It's not that you're just fat overnight and it's not like you need to change your lifestyle that much to start gaining 20 - 30 lbs a year. Think about how different you'd look if you gained a pound... not much of a change at all. So imagine you're gaining half a pound every week. It'll take a while before you notice.
Old 07-01-11, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
Anecdotal evidence from watching my friends says people gain weight after getting married. I vaguely recall reading about a study that showed this is usually the case but can't remember where.

...but none of that answers your question.
I never gained weight until my wife got pregnant. Then I started packing on along with her. But for her, it was normal. That and I went from an on-my-feet job to a desk job.
Old 07-01-11, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, unhappiness leads people to not take care of themselves. In some pretty big ways, so to speak.

[all about me]
I've had a fatalistic attitude toward myself since Prop 8, when I quit my job thinking I could find a new one easily. In the past 2.5 years I've had all kinds of issues--unbearable toothaches, serious eye complications, an actual heart attack (I think)--without doing anything about them. I'm supposed to have an upper GI every year to monitor an esophagus in danger of cancer. Instead I started smoking again. All my maintenance prescriptions (I'm 52) expired in 2009, as did my scrip for eyeglasses. I tell myself hell, there's millions who can't go to the doctor/dentist/whatever, and I'm just one of 'em; if it kills me it kills me. While I'm not actively suicidal by any means, I realize that my inaction is close to the same thing, but I'm not sure I care. When I'm not in a show I barely leave the house or shower. We'll see how it all pans out.
[/all about me]

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.