Chicago Schools: Kids can't bring lunches from Home

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 04-11-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/e...,4567867.story

At his public school, Little Village Academy on Chicago's West Side, students are not allowed to pack lunches from home. Unless they have a medical excuse, they must eat the food served in the cafeteria.

Principal Elsa Carmona said her intention is to protect students from their own unhealthful food choices.

"Nutrition wise, it is better for the children to eat at the school," Carmona said. "It's about the nutrition and the excellent quality food that they are able to serve (in the lunchroom). It's milk versus a Coke. But with allergies and any medical issue, of course, we would make an exception."

Carmona said she created the policy six years ago after watching students bring "bottles of soda and flaming hot chips" on field trips for their lunch. Although she would not name any other schools that employ such practices, she said it was fairly common.

A Chicago Public Schools spokeswoman said she could not say how many schools prohibit packed lunches and that decision is left to the judgment of the principals.
Jesus christ. Imagine that, school districts knowing what is best for parent's children.
Old 04-11-11, 11:40 AM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Chicago Schools: Kids can't bring lunches from Home

Ridiculous. The lunches we pack for our kids are 1000x more healthy than that served at any public school.
Old 04-11-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/e...,4567867.story

Jesus christ. Imagine that, school districts knowing what is best for parent's children.
They already control what they learn, how they learn it, how they can and cannot act, how they can dress, what sports they can play, etc.
Old 04-11-11, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Ridiculous. The lunches we pack for our kids are 1000x more healthy than that served at any public school.
This. My wife says school lunches are 100% crap and are horrible for you.

I'm wondering if the schools had to hit a certain dollar amount in lunches that were purchased.
Old 04-11-11, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've GOT to be kidding me. Most schools I know have more vending machines with pop and candy than most workplaces!

Most school lunches are BROWN. Hamburgers, tater tots, and mushy butter laden-steamed carrots or corn. Whatever vegetable the federal government is subsidizing this week. Gross. I've never seen salad greens at a grade school level institution (I have seen salad bars at high schools).

That's why Michelle Obama is targeting childhood obesity - because SCHOOL LUNCHES make kids fat, too! I would be making up some medical excuse for my kid lickety-split, like they are vegetarian or something. Good grief.
Old 04-11-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How is this possible?
Old 04-11-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It seems like horrible idea, but the government clearly knows what is best for us, so we should just shut up and pay our taxes and go with the program. Afterall, some parent might send their kid to school with a Twinkie or something like that.
Old 04-11-11, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by rocketsauce View Post
How is this possible?
It's the Chicago way.
Old 04-11-11, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
It's the Chicago way.
I sense a union contract is somehow involved in this.
Old 04-11-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
In Chicago?!??! Never.
Old 04-11-11, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

School lunches might be a way to generate some $$$$$
Old 04-11-11, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

excerpt

The ban has had two effects. First, more government money funneled to the school lunch provider. And second, ironically, less students eating the meals. The Tribune explains the not-so-shocking details:
Any school that bans homemade lunches also puts more money in the pockets of the district’s food provider, Chartwells-Thompson. The federal government pays the district for each free or reduced-price lunch taken, and the caterer receives a set fee from the district per lunch.

At Little Village, most students must take the meals served in the cafeteria or go hungry or both. During a recent visit to the school, dozens of students took the lunch but threw most of it in the garbage uneaten. Though CPS has improved the nutritional quality of its meals this year, it also has seen a drop-off in meal participation among students, many of whom say the food tastes bad.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/food...g-own-lunches/

Hey! Teacher! Leave their lunches alone!
Old 04-11-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm more concerned that that principal's gender seems to change after the first sentence.
Old 04-11-11, 12:20 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
I'm sure the company that gets paid per lunch served is totally innocent in all of this.

A lot of CPS schools also have their own gardens where they grow produce, but can't serve it in the school because the company that provides school lunches won't allow it so the schools give it away.
Old 04-11-11, 12:22 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 185 Posts

As long as the schools serve deep dish pizza, I'm all for this.
Old 04-11-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
They already control what they learn, how they learn it, how they can and cannot act, how they can dress, what sports they can play, etc.
What they are allowed to do when not at school, what they might theoretically do at some point in the future, what medicine they can take regardless of doctor's opinions, etc.

Yeah... it's amazing how accurate the 'frog in water heated slowly' adage is.

So it's the 'submit to control' thing over lunches that is outrageous?
Old 04-11-11, 12:34 PM

For me, I'm more "outraged" that they're outright lying about the reasons for it.
Old 04-11-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

The only thing that's surprising to me is that NYC didn't come up with such an inane policy first.
Old 04-11-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Wouldn't it simply make more sense to say that you cannot bring chips and pop to school in your lunches? Our school does that, simply because it creates problems in the lunch room. That makes me think this is about generating more money for the lunch program.
Old 04-11-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never ate school lunch a day in my life and I would continue to bring lunch in regardless of what some school says if I had to deal with that. Cafeteria food is always nasty. This is just about money.
Old 04-11-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
The only thing that's surprising to me is that NYC didn't come up with such an inane policy first.

Or Seattle
Old 04-11-11, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But parent Miguel Medina said he thinks the "no home lunch policy" is a good one. "The school food is very healthy," he said, "and when they bring the food from home, there is no control over the food."
I imagine for Mr. Medina making a bag lunch means his kids playing Supermarket Sweep in his kitchen before school. The school implemented this rule after teachers noticed Miguel Jr.'s lunch often consisted of whole hams and jumbo packs of diapers.
Old 04-11-11, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
I'm sure the company that gets paid per lunch served is totally innocent in all of this.

A lot of CPS schools also have their own gardens where they grow produce, but can't serve it in the school because the company that provides school lunches won't allow it so the schools give it away.
So it is the government's fault for signing a crappy contract.
Old 04-11-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 102 Posts

I think this is probably a ploy to get more federal funding for free and reduced price lunches. Schools get more money the more kids are signed up for these, and nobody checks too closely to see if their family really qualifies.

It's ironic, because a lunch packed from home CAN be more healthy than school lunch, but the same parents who don't care what kind of crap their kids buy from the school vending machines are probably the parents who would send Junior to school with Lunchables and other unhealthy crap.
Old 04-11-11, 02:25 PM

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by emanon View Post
I'm more concerned that that principal's gender seems to change after the first sentence.
If you read the entire article you see that the story starts with a quote from little Fernando Dominguez.

Also, this is not the policy of Chicago Public Schools. Each school controls lunch policy.

You know, "local control."

A Chicago Public Schools spokeswoman said she could not say how many schools prohibit packed lunches and that decision is left to the judgment of the principals.

"While there is no formal policy, principals use common sense judgment based on their individual school environments," Monique Bond wrote in an email. "In this case, this principal is encouraging the healthier choices and attempting to make an impact that extends beyond the classroom."

Any school that bans homemade lunches also puts more money in the pockets of the district's food provider, Chartwells-Thompson. The federal government pays the district for each free or reduced-price lunch taken, and the caterer receives a set fee from the district per lunch.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.