Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

New Orleans officer gets 25 years for following protocol.

Other Talk "Otterville"

New Orleans officer gets 25 years for following protocol.

Old 04-07-11, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans officer gets 25 years. Now with 100% more of me admitting I was wrong.

Apologies if this was posted but I didn't see it on a search

This happened around Katrina and it took them this long for the trial, but he was sentenced to 25 years on 3/31/11

On August 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina devastated the city of New Orleans and surrounding areas. Most individuals around the country watched from their television set, the images of a city under siege, with thousands of people trapped in their homes, in shelters and hospitals without power or water with temperatures that soared above 100 degrees. During the next five days (August 29 September 2), the City Government in New Orleans was totally overwhelmed, State Government was indecisive in bringing State resources into the city, while the Federal Government was relegated to sideline observer. Federal troops did not begin arriving in New Orleans until mid-day on September 2, 2005 after the events which are the subject of David Warren's federal indictment. David was indicted five years later on civil rights and murder charges.

David was assigned to guard a police sub-station in a strip mall amidst widespread lawlessness in the city. Two days after Katrina hit the city a fellow NOPD officer had been shot in the head as he tried to stop looters from breaking into a Chevron station. Looters had set fire to the nearby Oakwood Shopping Mall.

After encountering two looters and sending them on away without their stolen merchandise, a stolen Firestone truck abruptly pulled up outside the strip mall where David stood guard. Two occupants quickly opened the vehicle doors and moved towards the entrance causing David to shout "Police, Get Back, Police, Get Back". Concerned that one of the occupants had a weapon and in fear for his life, he had to make a split second decision as they quickly continued towards him. He fired one shot, but thought that he missed because the two occupants then fled on foot. Unknown to David the wounded man, Henry Glover, reportedly, collapsed further down the street, was picked up by a passer-by in another vehicle and later died. The Indictment also alleged that at another police station where Glover's body was brought, other officers engaged in misconduct with which David was neither charged nor involved.

In February 2009, the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice commenced a year long investigation into the shooting which culminated in David's Indictment and arrest on one count of a civil rights violation and a second count of possession of a firearm during a crime of violence i.e. murder. Threatened with the potential of a death sentence, David has been incarcerated since his June 2010 Indictment. In November 2010, he was tried along with other officers who were charged with unrelated misconduct at the other police station. The jury returned a compromise verdict of manslaughter against David.
http://www.supportdavidwarren.com/index.html

This seriously pisses me off. So an officer shoots someone who refuses to stop and may have a gun and he goes to prison for manslaughter?

As officers they should be awarded that right to make those decisions, sure they aren't always going to be right, but if they had guns and he did nothing he would be dead now. It's not like he's had a lot of bad things on his record to make people think that he does this on purpose. This is ridiculous IMO.

If the guy had stood down when he said then he wouldn't have been killed, their fault completely. As I said though, while I don't know facts, he has a clean record so I am apt to believe that he didn't do this maliciously.

Last edited by glassdragon; 04-10-11 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-07-11, 10:19 PM

Re: New Orleans officer gets 25 years for following protocol.

Here's the story from Glover's side, from an episode of Frontline:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...-henry-glover/
Old 04-07-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon View Post
This seriously pisses me off. So an officer shoots someone who refuses to stop and may have a gun and he goes to prison for manslaughter?
You realize that pretty much any time a cop gets caught shooting someone they shouldn't have, they claim that they thought he had a gun and was being aggressive, right? Since they investigated this for years, I'm going to lean towards the findings rather than simply accepting the unverified claims of one person.
Old 04-07-11, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds terrible and not biased.
Old 04-08-11, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
You realize that pretty much any time a cop gets caught shooting someone they shouldn't have, they claim that they thought he had a gun and was being aggressive, right? Since they investigated this for years, I'm going to lean towards the findings rather than simply accepting the unverified claims of one person.
Except it doesn't say anywhere that he said they had a gun, he thought they might be aggressive when he told them to stop and they didn't. Honestly either way, if he did say stop and they didn't without saying anything then that is their fault. They should have immediately stopped and explained themselves. They may very well have done this, but I can't see some cop that had nothing on his record just doing this out of the blue one day.
Old 04-08-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Apologies if this was posted but I didn't see it on a search

This happened around Katrina and it took them this long for the trial, but he was sentenced to 25 years on 3/31/11

http://www.supportdavidwarren.com/index.html

As officers they should be awarded that right to make those decisions, sure they aren't always going to be right, but if they had guns and he did nothing he would be dead now. It's not like he's had a lot of bad things on his record to make people think that he does this on purpose. This is ridiculous IMO.

If the guy had stood down when he said then he wouldn't have been killed, their fault completely. As I said though, while I don't know facts, he has a clean record so I am apt to believe that he didn't do this maliciously.
...do you even know anything about this case at all? You should really read into it more.
Old 04-08-11, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't imagine he quoted a site called Support David Warren without researching.
Old 04-08-11, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, my bad for posting anything at all, I will remember not to do so in the future
Old 04-08-11, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, my bad for posting anything at all, I will remember not to do so in the future
Post whatever you want, and defend it.
Old 04-08-11, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Post whatever you want, and defend it.
What's the point? Apparently I'm the asshole because I don't know as much as everyone else does about the case. Oh well, I guess I am just not destined to post.
Old 04-08-11, 12:34 AM
Banned by request

You've been around since 2000. How often has a thread in Otter gone the way the OP expected? Your outrage offends me on a deep and personal level.
Old 04-08-11, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-08-11, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
You've been around since 2000. How often has a thread in Otter gone the way the OP expected? Your outrage offends me on a deep and personal level.
I didn't say I was outraged, it was a round about way of saying that you are all assholes, which we already knew :P
Old 04-08-11, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He didn't say you said you were outraged, he said you were outraged.
Old 04-08-11, 12:42 AM
Banned by request

Alright, you heard the man, assholes and elbows!

Hudson, come here. Come here!
Old 04-08-11, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know why you would assume that the police officer was at fault. You act like we often hear stories of cops shooting humans.
Old 04-08-11, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey glassdragon, I feel your pain.

I once started a thread here about Hitler being misunderstood, and was shocked at getting the same reaction

Last edited by Jaymole; 04-08-11 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-08-11, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
I don't know why you would assume that the police officer was at fault. You act like we often hear stories of cops shooting humans.
Because cops shooting humans automatically means the cops did something wrong. Am I right?

I know nothing of this story except for that first post, but even basing my opinion on the content of that post, it still doesn't look like a good shoot. You shot somebody because they were trying (maybe) to loot a store and you thought they (maybe) had a weapon that you didn't see and that they didn't threaten to use in any way? That doesn't cut it. N.O.P.D. did some atrocious stuff in the wake of Katrina; some of it was rogue officers acting badly, but some of it was following the directives of the department and of the city (ie., weapon confiscations).
Old 04-08-11, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You definitely have the right to your opinion, but you don't have the right to distorted opinions based on incomplete information.
Old 04-08-11, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by He Who Lurks No More View Post
Here's the story from Glover's side, from an episode of Frontline:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...-henry-glover/
It looks like Warren was found guilty based on the testimony of his fellow officers. There are surely better cases to debate. I suppose saying that makes me an asshole too.
Old 04-08-11, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I suppose saying that makes me an asshole too.
How many assholes do we have on this forum, anyway?

Old 04-08-11, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by achau9598 View Post
how many assholes do we have on this forum, anyway?

Old 04-08-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lol, I"ll admit that I didn't do much research before this (read none) but leave me the hell alone, i'm hopped up on pain killers, that's my excuse..
Old 04-08-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...and you want to be my latex salesman.
Old 04-08-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched the Frontline episode when it originally aired and there's no doubt that this cop shot a non-threatening civilian. Then to compound the problem a lot of cops were going rogue: making new rules as the situation spiraled out of control. They probably figured, what the hell does it matter and who the hell will care if a few more locals die since so many untold deaths have already occurred. The buring of his corpse by other cops shows how screwed up the department had become.
This isn't the only Katrina incident to merit severe punishment; the Danziger Bridge event has already sent a multitude of rogue cops to jail. One sentenced to 8 years in jail, four others pled guilty, six more set for trial soon. It certainly was a stressful, once in a lifetime situation but that's no reason to abandon your sworn oath. A lot of police quit and abandoned the city rather than deal with the catastrophe. Others committed suicide as the situation took a huge personal toll, but they were still sworn to uphold the law, not rewrite it to their advantage.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.