Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Thinking about moving to Europe.. thoughts?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-02-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've been in Switzerland for the past week on a business trip and really enjoyed myself... actually in the airport on my way back home right now. Besides the fact that everything was really expensive, I really liked the people, the cleanliness, public transportation and just the vibe.

Now I'm thinking about possibly moving there. Not much is keeping me where I currently am. I have a great job, but I think I could work out a transfer there. I own a house, but could sell it fairly easily. My family is on the east coast of the US so travelling to visit wouldn't be that ridiculous. I think my 2 major concerns are around bringing my dog and how the time zone differences would affect my ability to watch sports.

Am I totally nuts? The last time I made a decision was when I first went down to Austin for a 2 week business trip and decided to stay there.
Old 04-02-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Thinking about moving to Europe.. thoughts?

Go for it.

Life is short. Live in some interesting places and see some of this rock before you die.
Old 04-02-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can't buy property unless you are citizen correct?
Old 04-02-11, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think if you can find work there and you are able to, you should go for it!

And as far as your dog, I think you might have to have him (or her) quarantined for a time, but not sure.

EDITED TO ADD that I looked it up. Here's a link:

http://geneva.angloinfo.com/countrie.../pettravel.asp

I hope your dog doesn't have cropped ears or a docked tail. That seems to be the only thing they restrict.
Old 04-02-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
You can't buy property unless you are citizen correct?
oh i wouldn't buy property there. i guess rent an apartment.. i was concerned about losing all the space in my house, but a bed, tv, computer, fridge and microwave and i think i would be good.

guess i could see if i could do some sort of 6 month transfer through work.
Old 04-02-11, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Swiss hate America. If you go, take a gun... you'll need it.
Old 04-02-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought it was the French
so the Swiss hate Americans too?
Old 04-02-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Swiss hate everyone. There's a huge thread about it in the Politics Forum.
Old 04-02-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would absolutely go for it. I lived abroad as a kid and it was a great experience. Also, Switzerland is ridiculously nice (and ridiculously expensive).
Old 04-02-11, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you can get a job, the definitely go for it. I posted a similar thread awhile back.
Old 04-02-11, 04:42 PM

Playing devil's advocate here, but if your dog and watching sports are really your two biggest concerns (outside of a job and money, obviously), then you either live an amazingly carefree life - or perhaps you should take some time to think about it more after the honeymoon phase has ended. Then again, I'm not sure if I'd have the courage to move that far away for more than a year or so. Someday you may not have the luxury of being "anchor"-free, so go spread your wild seed while you still can!

So much for the counterpoint - Good luck!
Old 04-02-11, 09:23 PM

I did this about 6 months ago. I lived and worked in DC but my wife was transferred to another part of the world (not europe..). The cost of shipping our 2 dogs was about 4k, but her company covered that. The pet relocation company asked us to give the dogs a rabies shot 30 days prior to departure, and they took care of the rest of the documentation. The dogs flew to Europe and stayed overnight because there's a 8 hr flight time limit. They went on to the final destination the next day and had to be quarantined for 7 days. Her company also sent people to basically pack and ship our whole house over there. Since it's a 12 hr time difference to the US, it's hard to watch sports unless I don't sleep. Also, NFL is not big here so I've been only able to look at the box scores. I'd say if you have the opportunity, to try it out. It's definitely been a fun experience for me. good luck!
Old 04-02-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Go for it.

Life is short. Live in some interesting places and see some of this rock before you die.
Agreed. There are more important things than watching sports on TV.
Old 04-02-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nodoubt View Post
I did this about 6 months ago. I lived and worked in DC but my wife was transferred to another part of the world (not europe..). The cost of shipping our 2 dogs was about 4k, but her company covered that. The pet relocation company asked us to give the dogs a rabies shot 30 days prior to departure, and they took care of the rest of the documentation. The dogs flew to Europe and stayed overnight because there's a 8 hr flight time limit. They went on to the final destination the next day and had to be quarantined for 7 days. Her company also sent people to basically pack and ship our whole house over there. Since it's a 12 hr time difference to the US, it's hard to watch sports unless I don't sleep. Also, NFL is not big here so I've been only able to look at the box scores. I'd say if you have the opportunity, to try it out. It's definitely been a fun experience for me. good luck!
Is there a reason you were intentionally vague about where your final destination was?
Old 04-02-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Go for it. If watching basketball on television is one of your most important activities, living in another culture would be a total mindjob. It's the little things that surprise you. For example, what do you think they call the Quarter Pounder with cheese?
Old 04-02-11, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, and not to be a dick, but if watching sports is really that important to him, he probably wouldn't need to move to Switzerland to experience a mindjob. Maybe just try moving to another state or doing away with his tv for 6 months. Try moving to Hawaii and learn to surf or move to Colorado or Montana and become a ski bum or get into hiking or something like that.

Without knowing anything about him, it just sounds like he needs a change of pace and I don't think he necessarily needs to go to Switzerland to get that change, but if he's set on Switzerland then I say go for it too, especially if there's really nothing holding him back. Sports are meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
Old 04-02-11, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you can't find work and you are good looking there is always hooking. I'll bet they will pay more if the dog can watch.
Old 04-02-11, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Have you asked what your dog thinks? Maybe your dog doesn't like the idea.
Old 04-03-11, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Go for it. If watching basketball on television is one of your most important activities, living in another culture would be a total mindjob. It's the little things that surprise you. For example, what do you think they call the Quarter Pounder with cheese?
La Fromage Royale?
Old 04-03-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Go for it man. I went to Geneva a couple of years ago and really loved it. Very nice place indeed. I saw a homeless woman there and wondered how the hell she survived in such an expensive place.

I think the thing to remember in all instances of relocating is that going on vacation to a place and actually having to live and work in a place can be two different things. But the country is incredibly beautiful.
Old 04-03-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Go for it man. I went to Geneva a couple of years ago and really loved it. Very nice place indeed. I saw a homeless woman there and wondered how the hell she survived in such an expensive place.

I think the thing to remember in all instances of relocating is that going on vacation to a place and actually having to live and work in a place can be two different things. But the country is incredibly beautiful.
That's a good point. I vacation to Hawaii once a year and love it there. However, at least at this point in my life, I absolutely could not imagine living there. It's a wonderful place to visit for a week or two, but no way would I want to live there. I think I'd go nuts after about 3 months.
Old 04-03-11, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
Is there a reason you were intentionally vague about where your final destination was?
maybe his wife is in some sensitive aspect of the government and he doesn't want to say on a public forum.
Old 04-03-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
I visited Salzburg, Austria a couple summers ago and saw some beggars. I don't even know if they were homeless because they were wearing designer clothes. No joke.

I think the homeless in some of the other richer countries do much better than do here in the US.
Old 04-03-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks guys for all the replies. Going to talk to my company about my options this week. Also thinking about moving to Boston. I grew up in the Northeast and think I might like to get back there.

As others said, I think I just need a change of pace.
Old 04-04-11, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nodoubt View Post
Hello, fellow person in Asia?

(Or Perth)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.