Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

More Noisy Neighbors, Or I Can't Seem To Get A Break

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-21-11, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have complained in the past about the ridiculous amount of noise from my fellow apartment dwellers. We've been here over three years, and have had about three or four different sets of upstairs neighbors.

The first three had a kid, so I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt. We enjoyed a nice four or five months of peace and quiet while the apartment was empty.

Fast forward to about a week ago. A couple of dudes in their early 20's moved in. I guess they wanted to have a house warming party the first weekend because they had about a dozen people up there, music, laughing, clapping, loud TV, etc.

I said to my wife, "okay, we will let it slide, it's always fun to move into a new place. maybe they are overly excited."

So Monday comes along, and they continue to make noise. Not party noise, but stomping, talking loud, laughing, always after 10pm. This continues all week.

Then the weekend is here again, and it's party time once more. Only it's much worse, and now they have spilled out onto their balcony to talk amongst themselves. All I hear is "fucking this, fucking that", cheering, laughing, whooping and hollering. It sounds like a goddamn club.

I haven't talked to them yet, nor said anything to the manager. I doubt this is a situation where they don't realize they are being loud. It's almost 2am here, and they don't look like they are going to stop anytime soon. The last parties lasted til 5am.

My wife is pregnant, and barely gets sleep as it is. These inconsiderate douche bags are really pissing me off.

Seriously, what can and should I do? I'm not about to move, or go and start a fight. I don't want to play the old man role and bang on the ceiling with the broom handle either.

I really don't want to call the cops and waste their time.
Old 02-21-11, 03:39 AM
Banned

Re: More Noisy Neighbors, Or I Can't Seem To Get A Break

how about you get your wife to talk to them?

If you said something they might just blow you off. But a pregnant woman asking nicely? That might change things. Cuz well...she's pregnant. And if they don't listen to her...well...I'll be damned but a nice pregnant woman asking you to quiet down for her sleep and you reject that? That's a fucking douche right there.
Old 02-21-11, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Seriously, what can and should I do? I'm not about to move, or go and start a fight. I don't want to play the old man role and bang on the ceiling with the broom handle either.

I really don't want to call the cops and waste their time.
I had 3 or 4 good answers, but you took them all.
Old 02-21-11, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
how about you get your wife to talk to them?

If you said something they might just blow you off. But a pregnant woman asking nicely? That might change things. Cuz well...she's pregnant. And if they don't listen to her...well...I'll be damned but a nice pregnant woman asking you to quiet down for her sleep and you reject that? That's a fucking douche right there.
I can tell they are douches just by looking at them. Skater looking mother fuckers. One was wearing an Ed Hardy shirt.

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
I had 3 or 4 good answers, but you took them all.
I was trying to cover all the typical answers. Peeing in their butts, killing them, moving, etc.

Normally jokes are great, but like I said, I am fucking pissed. I really think if I go up there, and they give me a snide remark, I'll spend the next couple of days off in a holding cell.
Old 02-21-11, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

they're breaking the law. call the cops. a couple $200 noise ordinance fines should shut them up.
Old 02-21-11, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You forgot to take the lump sum

but seriously confront them, tell them to shut the hell up or leave, if that doesn't work contact the manager, preferably with a neighbor who's sick of it too. And lastly call the cops.
Old 02-21-11, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do the respectful thing initially and try to talk to them.

If that doesn't work - talk to the apartment manager and go from there. I know you're pissed, but at least talk to them first before going straight to the apt. manager or cops.
Old 02-21-11, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Check your lease to see if there is a stipulation on noise/parties past a certain time. Could give you an extra leg to stand on with the cops/apt management.
Old 02-21-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You should try and throw an even louder, crazier party that puts theirs to shame.
Old 02-21-11, 10:28 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

buy a house.
Old 02-21-11, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A friend of mine once had to deal with noisy upstairs neighbors, specifically their squeaky bed and loud love making sessions. She put a can of WD 40 outside their door. They got the message. lol
Old 02-21-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Stand silently sort of nearby them and hope that lets them know how upset you are.
Old 02-21-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buy a fan or some other device to provide some white noise while you sleep. Having lived in shared housing a lot in my life, this is just something you're going to come across when your ceiling is someone elses floor. Especially if you live with a younger demographic.

The only way you can prevent this really is to move into a top floor unit yourself or a split level where you are your own upstairs neighbor. I would never live underneath someone again if I had a choice.
Old 02-21-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You have to do something. Your wife is just pregnant, sure rest and relaxation are paramount now, but when that baby comes, the last thing you're going to want is unsolicited noise constantly.
Old 02-21-11, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie W View Post
I would never live underneath someone again if I had a choice.
That's what she said!
Old 02-21-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're much more patient than I am. I would have complained the first time they were up making noise. "House warming party" my ass. That's an apartment complex. They were told the noise rules before they moved in.

I feel very lucky where I live because for quite some time now I've had very quiet neighbors. It's wonderful. I can't remember the last time I had somebody loud living under me.
Old 02-21-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been in the same apartment for about 14 years now and have had a couple noisy people above me during that time. The first noisy ones i went up and talked to and they were okay about it but they were still noisy(she was one of those "stompers"). Currently i have someone a bit noisy with a lot of stuff hitting the floor and it sounds like someone is moving in every day. I was kinda undecided about going up there. I don't know if it's just me or is it lately people are just so fucking easily offended? So anyway it's not that bad and i bought some of those foam earplugs for sleeping since i think this person has a different schedule than me. Also i got some really nice Bose noise canceling headphones. I hardly notice them now, or fire alarms for that matter

Good luck to ya nick.
Old 02-21-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Stand silently sort of nearby them and hope that lets them know how upset you are.

When this doesn't work, wander off and get some chips, then stand silently nearby once again.

I agree with others... First, talk to them and then issue a formal complaint when it happens again.

But with this type of group you're never going to get satisfaction unless they are evicted or you leave. If it gets better it won't be for more than a couple weeks. Their level of acceptable will not be in line with yours. Maybe there is another unit you can move to if they don't want to evict. Personally, I'd get ready to move somewhere else entirely given the past history.
Old 02-21-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't live somewhere where people live above you, problem solved.
Old 02-21-11, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 02-21-11, 01:47 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles

Like others have mentioned... once the baby arrives... holy shit! What you need to do is go and purchase a microphone some decent floor standing speakers and a receiver. Point the speakers facing up towards the upstairs neighbors, hang the mic above the baby's crib and crank up the receiver. Turnabout is fair play.

Most likely you won't need to go through the expense of that set-up a baby crying 24/7 will be murder enough.
Old 02-21-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
You're much more patient than I am. I would have complained the first time they were up making noise. "House warming party" my ass. That's an apartment complex. They were told the noise rules before they moved in.

I feel very lucky where I live because for quite some time now I've had very quiet neighbors. It's wonderful. I can't remember the last time I had somebody loud living under me.
You are lucky. I never get the quiet nice little old lady neighbor. In fact, a family just moved next door, and the bratty kids were loud and riding skateboards right outside my door.
Old 02-21-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I lol'd.
Old 02-21-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't send your wife up to talk to them, that's a pussy move.
Go up there yourself and do it without being confrontational. If you start flexing, then they're going to react defensively, and you'll just create more problems.
If that doesn't work and they have another loud party late right away, call the police,
Then involve other neighbors and the landlord. That should be enough. Keep an informal record of dates and conversations and such, just in case you need them.

In the future, if the top apartment becomes available again, would it be possible for YOU to move there?
Old 02-21-11, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
but when that baby comes, the last thing you're going to want is unsolicited noise constantly.
Yeah, the baby will be contributing enough unsolicited noise on its own.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.