Reload this Page >

More Noisy Neighbors, Or I Can't Seem To Get A Break

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

More Noisy Neighbors, Or I Can't Seem To Get A Break

Old 02-21-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: More Noisy Neighbors, Or I Can't Seem To Get A Break

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Yeah, the baby will be contributing enough unsolicited noise on its own.
Until the baby is finally sleeping and the assholes wake it up. Then you will get Hulk pissed.
Old 02-21-11, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Check your lease to see if there is a stipulation on noise/parties past a certain time. Could give you an extra leg to stand on with the cops/apt management.
I checked the lease and it doesn't say it specifically, but it says unwanted waste or disturbances or something to that effect.

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
You should try and throw an even louder, crazier party that puts theirs to shame.
I think it'd work better if I were upstairs

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
A friend of mine once had to deal with noisy upstairs neighbors, specifically their squeaky bed and loud love making sessions. She put a can of WD 40 outside their door. They got the message. lol
They have alot of good looking chicks going in and out of the place. So I guess I could wait a few days before I complain, and maybe they might start filming. Or talk to them and get a guest star role as "man in background"

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Yeah, the baby will be contributing enough unsolicited noise on its own.
I was worried about that a bit. If I complain and then have a screaming baby

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd View Post
Until the baby is finally sleeping and the assholes wake it up. Then you will get Hulk pissed.
Yeah

I see Bud Light cans all over the edge of their balcony. I should send the can stealer in their direction.
Old 02-21-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If talking to them, and the apartment manager fails, get some foam earplugs. It works wonders. I used to live next to a crazy loud party house in college (well, they were behind me so I didn't know until after I moved into my apt), and they threw really loud parties every Saturday until about 4am, with beer cans and shit landing on my bedroom window. I used foam earplugs, and since then, I can't hear a thing when I sleep. That was 15 yrs ago, and I've moved several times since then, but out of habit, I always sleep with earplugs now, even when on the plane. I get really good sleep.
Old 02-21-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fuck earplugs

They are going to accomodate me not vice versa.
Old 02-21-11, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I was trying to cover all the typical answers. Peeing in their butts, killing them, moving, etc.
Should he pee in their butts before he kills them or after?

I agree with the person who said to have your pregnant wife go up and talk to them (you should go up there with her, by the way). AND it's important to do this right away. Four months down the road when you finally say something, well, your complacency only fuels their "not my problem" attitude.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 02-21-11, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Stand silently sort of nearby them and hope that lets them know how upset you are.
Old 02-21-11, 05:02 PM
Banned by request

One was wearing an Ed Hardy shirt.
I think we're missing this vital point. One was wearing an Ed Hardy shirt. These aren't normal, decent people we're dealing with.

Look, when you come across a mad dog, you put it down, for the safety of yourself and others. I see this situation as no different.
Old 02-21-11, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Stand silently sort of nearby them and hope that lets them know how upset you are.
Old 02-21-11, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would talk to the kids first. If that doesn't work, I would then go to the apartment managers. After that, I would start calling the cops.

I've been in the same situation, on both sides. Talking between neighbors resolved the issues.
Old 02-21-11, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
Old 02-21-11, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<-Keeps talking on the phone->
Old 02-21-11, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

1. Talk to the neighbors, and then inform the apartment complex that you talked with the neighbors.
2. Call the apartment complex to notify them, and then call the cops.
3. Repeat #2 as needed.
4. If it continues, I'm sure there is some sort of generic noise statute in your town/city that falls under a reasonable expectation of "quiet enjoyment" or something similar for renters. If you live next to train tracks, I'm sure there is some sort of waiver in your lease, otherwise it should be fair game.

Your apartment place will req. you to notify them before they will do anything. The cops will probably ask if you've talked to the neighbors and/or the apartment complex. The above covers your bases.
Old 02-21-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I mentioned them to the manager and she said she's gotten complaints from other residents. They have only been here two weeks, and according to the manager, it's a couple of dudes and their first apartment together. She said she will give them a call and let them know to quiet down. We'll see if it works. I really don't care if they are loud from say 9am to 9pm. After that, I get mad.

Another funny thing is I went outside this morning, and there is a sign taped to the ground. It says "Act like an adult, do not smoke past this door, clean up your soda spills on the carpet and chicken bones you drop."

No idea what it means or who it's for. It's in between my apartment and the one next to mine (a couple lives there).
Old 02-21-11, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I mentioned them to the manager and she said she's gotten complaints from other residents. They have only been here two weeks, and according to the manager, it's a couple of dudes and their first apartment together. She said she will give them a call and let them know to quiet down. We'll see if it works. I really don't care if they are loud from say 9am to 9pm. After that, I get mad.

Another funny thing is I went outside this morning, and there is a sign taped to the ground. It says "Act like an adult, do not smoke past this door, clean up your soda spills on the carpet and chicken bones you drop."

No idea what it means or who it's for. It's in between my apartment and the one next to mine (a couple lives there).
Well, on the bright side is people like this are hardly at an apartment for too long.
Old 02-21-11, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wouldn't consider anything other than a top floor corner unit for apt living, I don't think I could stand footsteps above me let alone a party.

One time there was a party downstairs so I casually walked over to the door to check the unit number, they saw me, assumed I was calling the cops and they packed it up pretty quick. Had I been a little more forward thinking I probably could've just let em know it was noisy and trade some booze for my not calling the cops.
Old 02-21-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, that's good the manager is aware of it and others have complained. I know apartment managers who've refused to renew leases to loud renters after getting complaints from other people.

Yeah, I hate those loud drunk a-holes. Best way to avoid them is not live near a college.
Old 02-21-11, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
I know apartment managers who've refused to renew leases to loud renters after getting complaints from other people.
Especially in this economy.
Old 02-21-11, 11:37 PM
Banned by request

Which would you rather have? One apartment in your complex sit empty for months because you opted not to renew the lease of noisy tenants, or three empty apartments because all the tenants who complained left when you re-signed the lease of the noisy tenants?
Old 02-22-11, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you have a magazine or menu from behind whcih you can glare at them?
Old 02-22-11, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
Do you have a magazine or menu from behind whcih you can glare at them?
Chut up.
Old 02-22-11, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is why I'm glad to live in Oklahoma and not where I used to live in California. We can actually buy a house here for far less than what I spent on rent in Bonita. However, before we were able to buy a house we lived in an apartment. I swear our neighbor upstairs was trying to knock the dust off of the four corners of his bed every night with the girl he had staying with him.
Old 02-22-11, 09:33 AM

We had to deal with that for a lot of years due to a rental house across the street. It was like every group that moved in there was louder than the last. Eventually, all of our neighbors decided to get together and call the police at the first sign of noise from any new renter. Worked perfectly. Needless to say, none of the noisy ones stayed around long when they found out that they had to play by the rules.
Old 02-22-11, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They were pretty quiet last night, so that was a start. But the real test comes this weekend.
Old 02-22-11, 05:36 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Confronting them only lets them know who you are and where you live. You have a wife & baby to think about here, I'd go to the apartment managers first, document the report, if they do nothing call the cops. You have a right to peace and quiet in your home, especially with a pregnant wife. Fuckheads can go somewhere else and party. -kd5-
Old 02-22-11, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My gf and I live in an upstairs unit. We can hear the TV of the woman below us sometimes. She lives with what I assume is her 40-ish-year-old son. She has that TV going 24/7, and it's not quiet; it's one of those old CRTs with speakers blaring out the top. We complained a couple times, but she never budged. We can smell pot coming from down there often, so we figure her and her son are just laying around getting stoned. Could be worse, I suppose. I could have kids making noise every night below me. It's a quiet neighborhood otherwise.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.