Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Steve Jobs may only have 6 weeks to live (Update: Dead - May he rest in peace)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-17-11, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://in.news.yahoo.com/apple-ceo-j...71343-958.html

London, Feb 17 (IANS) Apple founder and CEO Steve Jobs has terminal pancreatic cancer and may live for just six more weeks, a media report said Thursday.

The 55-year-old Jobs in January announced that at his request, the board of directors granted him a medical leave of absence so that he could focus on his health.

Since then, employees have said Jobs can still be seen at the company's headquarters in California and is also calling all the strategic shots from his home.

Now, new pictures have been published in the tabloid National Enquirer, which suggest things may be worse for the the man behind the iPod, iPhone and iPad.

The report said Jobs is stricken with pancreatic cancer and may have just six weeks to live.

The new photos show him looking painfully frail and weak, with his jeans and dark top hanging loosely on his six-feet-two-inches, frail body, the Daily Mail reported.

The pictures were not yet available online, but Jobs's weight is said to have dropped from a pre-cancer 175 pounds to 130 pounds now, according to the National Enquirer.

His thinning hair was a sign of the effects of chemotherapy used to treat the disease.

The photos, which were taken Feb 8, showed Jobs going for breakfast with his wife Laurene Powell before heading to the Stanford Cancer Centre in California.

Jerome Spunberg, a doctor, said: 'Mr. Jobs is most likely getting outpatient chemotherapy at Stanford because the cancer has recurred.'

Gabe Mirkin, a physician with 40 years' experience, said: 'He is terminal. What you are seeing is extreme muscle wasting from calorie deprivation, most likely caused by cancer. He has no muscle left in his buttocks, which is the last place to go.'

'He definitely appears to be in the terminal stages of his life from these photos. I would be surprised if he weighed more than 130 pounds.'

Critical care physician Samuel Jacobson also said: 'Judging from the photos, he is close to terminal. I would say he has six weeks.'

A source, who recently saw Jobs, added: 'He is very frail, moving like a weak, feeble old man. He weaves back and forth when he walks, as if he is having trouble keeping his balance, and the pain of every step is evident on his face.'

The Apple CEO, who is worth $6 billion, is currently on his third medical leave, and has battled a rare form of pancreatic cancer for seven years and had a liver transplant in 2009.

An Apple spokesman did not comment on the new photos.
Old 02-17-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Steve Jobs may only have 6 weeks to live (Update: Dead - May he rest in peace)

He's done amazing things for technology, and it'd be sad to see him go. Apple stock will plummet big time.
Old 02-17-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

re: Steve Jobs may only have 6 weeks to live (Update: Dead - May he rest in peace)

I think it's been pretty obvious for a while that his time is short. Pancreatic is not one of the more forgiving cancers.
Old 02-17-11, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Sad deal. Not a big apple fan, but he has done amazing things. And he helped keep Pixar alive.
Old 02-17-11, 03:36 PM
Admin-Thanos

Wow. Apple's stock is definitely going to take a hit. He's so involved in everything there. I wonder how or if they will recover.
Old 02-17-11, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I wonder how or if they will recover.
That's a big question. From everything I've read, it seems like he's the brains behind most of their original ideas.

On a personal level, that's terrible news if true.
Old 02-17-11, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Folks, this is originally from the National Enquirer, not the bastion of truth in journalism.
Old 02-17-11, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is awful news. I only have a couple of Apple products, but it was always exciting to see what new slick tech they had to reveal. Not sure if anyone will ever really take his place in the tech world.
Old 02-17-11, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish View Post
Folks, this is originally from the National Enquirer, not the bastion of truth in journalism.
thanks for that. I saw it on Yahoo and assumed it must be some what vetted. Hopefully its hyperbole and he will be fine.
Old 02-17-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk God

It may be from there, but he was seen exiting a cancer treatment center recently and he took a leave of absence not too long ago. not too difficult to connect the dots.

also, the National Enquirer also broke the Jon Edwards cheating scandal. They are much more legit than they were in the past.
Old 02-17-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

It's what the men in black use. I'm good with it.
Old 02-17-11, 03:59 PM

Dying sucks, but dying when you're a multi-billionaire must be the ultimate act of suckage.
Old 02-17-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
Dying sucks, but dying when you're a multi-billionaire must be the ultimate act of suckage.
Because if you're rich, you don't automatically go to heaven.
Old 02-17-11, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
It may be from there, but he was seen exiting a cancer treatment center recently and he took a leave of absence not too long ago. not too difficult to connect the dots.

also, the National Enquirer also broke the Jon Edwards cheating scandal. They are much more legit than they were in the past.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Cliche aside, if you read the original article, it doesn't sound very legit. Their 'prognosis' is based entirely on a doctor's analysis of Jobs' ass as seen in those pictures. Maybe that is a reliable metric, but somehow I doubt it. Either way, as others have said this is a tough cancer to beat, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.
Old 02-17-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk God

I've heard doctors and friends who are doctors amazed how long he has gone with the type of cancer he has.

Anyone ready to short the stock?
Old 02-17-11, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo

Jobs will apparently be well enough to meet with Obama to help give him economic advice tonight. Obama has Zuckerman coming as well. This is where we are, people.
Old 02-17-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's no doubt he has cancer and is going in for regular treatments, but a "legit" news source wouldn't have doctors take a look at photographs of someone and give an estimate on their lifespan. It's sensationalism.
Old 02-17-11, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh the poor billionaire who had an incredible life is going to die?

Somebody get me a Kleenex I'm gonna bust out cryin'.

Screw Apple's stock.

Old 02-17-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Is he bringing his famous pig?
Come on, the Mrs. is not that bad.
Old 02-17-11, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Jobs needs a second opinion. Perhaps he should talk to the Scottish doctors who "diagnosed" Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, the Libyan convicted of helping bomb flight 103 over Lockerbie.
Old 02-17-11, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought he beat the cancer. I mean it's widely known that he had/has pancreatic cancer and I thought he was part of the extremely small percentage that actually beat it.

The article makes it sounds like he was just diagnosed recently, but I believe he was originally diagnosed in 2004. Most people don't beat this form of cancer so he very well might be at the end of the line and it would probably be considered a minor miracle that he's battled pancreatic cancer for close to 7 years, but like I said, I thought he actually beat it.
Old 02-17-11, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really haven't followed Jobs too closely, but most of what I've heard has been good. He's done a lot in this world and will be missed by many.
Old 02-17-11, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Really, because my digital clock that broke and stopped displaying anything doesn't seem to be right at anything.

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought he beat the cancer. I mean it's widely known that he had/has pancreatic cancer and I thought he was part of the extremely small percentage that actually beat it.
You might have that confused with him being rich enough to get on multiple organ donor lists and fly around to get what he needs, in this case a liver, from other people that also need one but can't afford to cheat the system.
Old 02-17-11, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah the workers who commit suicide rather than go on living in the iPhone slave camps/'factories' are going to be all busted up about poor Jobs, who got rich off their labor, leaving this earth.

He's a veritable humanitarian all right.
Old 02-17-11, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Really, because my digital clock that broke and stopped displaying anything doesn't seem to be right at anything.

You might have that confused with him being rich enough to get on multiple organ donor lists and fly around to get what he needs, in this case a liver, from other people that also need one but can't afford to cheat the system.
Jealous much? Who decides who's important enough to get a liver? Does a poor, single mother of 3 deserve a new liver before Steve Jobs? And besides, show me proof that he "cheated" the system.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.