Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Steve Jobs may only have 6 weeks to live (Update: Dead - May he rest in peace)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Steve Jobs may only have 6 weeks to live (Update: Dead - May he rest in peace)

Old 10-05-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: Steve Jobs may only have 6 weeks to live (Update: Dead - May he rest in peace)

Kind of deserves a new thread don't you think.
Old 10-05-11, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: Steve Jobs may only have 6 weeks to live (Update: Dead - May he rest in peace)

If you think of founders and CEO's as true figureheads....there's Henry Ford, Walt Disney, Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs.

Old 10-05-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My favorite Jobs story was in Triumph of the Nerds. He wanted a guy for the Macintosh development project, and the guy was busy working on something else. Jobs came into his cubicle, unplugged his computer, and carried it to the Macintosh group, with the programmer following his computer.

Under his watch came the Apple, the Mac, and the Ipod. Generally, Apple was innovative, created good products, and forced the industry to follow suit. Not many other CEOs have had that much effect on the world in the last half century. The only one who comes to my mind are Ichiro Honda.
Old 10-05-11, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Steve Jobs may only have 6 weeks to live (update: dead)

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
Kind of deserves a new thread don't you think.
iAgree
Old 10-05-11, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Steve Jobs may only have 6 weeks to live (Update: Dead - May he rest in peace)

I think Jobs dying is especially sad because it's a reminder that we are all mortal and our own health is paramount. Here was a man who was a billionaire, a technology pioneer, and he died at the young age of 56 years old. If he couldn't beat cancer, what chance do us mere mortals have?
Old 10-05-11, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Steve Jobs may only have 6 weeks to live (Update: Dead - May he rest in peace)

Old 10-05-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sad news.

But kind of fitting that in our current economy we lose Jobs.
Old 10-05-11, 09:20 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees View Post
Sad news.

But kind of fitting that in our current economy we lose Jobs.
Old 10-05-11, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
My favorite Jobs story was in Triumph of the Nerds. He wanted a guy for the Macintosh development project, and the guy was busy working on something else. Jobs came into his cubicle, unplugged his computer, and carried it to the Macintosh group, with the programmer following his computer.

Under his watch came the Apple, the Mac, and the Ipod. Generally, Apple was innovative, created good products, and forced the industry to follow suit. Not many other CEOs have had that much effect on the world in the last half century. The only one who comes to my mind are Ichiro Honda.
I know a lot of people worship Jobs... but elevating him to a god is a little much, don't you think?
Old 10-05-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In the tech industry, he was a God.
Old 10-05-11, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bring back woz
Old 10-05-11, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn. I had kind of hoped he would be around for a while longer, seeing things from outside Apple. I can admire his willingness to work to the end, though.

I'm not too concerned about Apple, but losing someone so iconic is a drag. As someone else said, there aren't too many CEO's that are figureheads and so widely known as him.
Old 10-05-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll probably be one of the very people you'll ever know that has NEVER owned anything made by Apple.
Old 10-05-11, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was interesting that I first read this on my iPad and then messaged my wife the news with my iPhone. He's sure changed the way that I have done things in my life. RIP Steve.
Old 10-05-11, 10:17 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I'll probably be one of the very people you'll ever know that has NEVER owned anything made by Apple.
Not very. Never owned anything Apple here and happy that I successfully kept Apple from making inroads into several major corporations.
Old 10-05-11, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tonight, Patton Oswalt tweeted that he was the "closest thing we had to Tony Stark." Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.
Old 10-05-11, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Same here
Old 10-05-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

First Donald Lapre and now Jobs. What a sad week.
Old 10-05-11, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not a Mac user myself, but I don't think Microsoft Windows would ever have been developed if they weren't trying to copycat the Macintosh. Since they did so for a considerably cheaper sticker price, I am properly grateful. Rest in peace, good sir.
Old 10-05-11, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Steve Jobs
Old 10-05-11, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Uncle Steve! 
Old 10-05-11, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 10-05-11, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm wondering if Jobs actually died a few days ago, and this is Apple's way of taking the heat off how lame the 4S demo was.

In all seriousness, though, the mere fact that there's so much chatter over the death of a company's CEO goes to show how well-respected Jobs was. Nobody can fill those shoes. Even if you didn't like something about him, everyone can agree he was a tech genius and did a tremendous amount to advance us in that respect.
Old 10-05-11, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://jmak.tumblr.com/post/9377189056
Old 10-06-11, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard this and really don't care.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.