DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-17-16, 03:53 PM   #301
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Post a pic of your dinner

I'm gonna go with the preheat tonight as I am having company and I find whenever I don't do things way I'm used to something goes horribly wrong. I think next time when it's just me and my wife I'll try it other way. My thought is that maybe my friends suggestion had to do with putting a cold dish in a hot oven and potentially cracking?
Old 11-17-16, 04:15 PM   #302
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's pic.

Old 05-14-17, 09:20 PM   #303
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Side dishes (panchan) for my Mother's Day dinner. All made from scratch, except the yellow pickles. From the bottom right and then clockwise: braised lotus root, candied dried anchovies, spicy dried squid, soy sauce/sesame soy bean sprouts, radish kimchi, yellow Japanese style pickles, braised soy/sesame potatoes, kimchi.

I made Korean BBQ beef and spicy BBQ pork, Japchae (Korean glass noodles), fried homemade potstickers, and rice. No pics of those--the setting out of the panchan was the calm before the storm.

This was my first time making a full Korean meal with a bunch of side dishes. Usually, it's been a couple of items. Also, the first time I made kimchi rather than buying it. I started early in the week to give it time to ferment. Well worth the effort, though I made a gallon and a half. I see lots of kimchi stew in our future . . .
Old 05-14-17, 09:52 PM   #304
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Here's pic.

Mmmmm. Followed by 12 hours of sleep.
Old 05-14-17, 11:29 PM   #305
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Also, the first time I made kimchi rather than buying it. I started early in the week to give it time to ferment. Well worth the effort, though I made a gallon and a half. I see lots of kimchi stew in our future . . .
Only one week? I thought it takes months, and you have to bury the jar underground during that time. I love kimchi, but only buy it.
Old 05-14-17, 11:57 PM   #306
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Only one week? I thought it takes months, and you have to bury the jar underground during that time. I love kimchi, but only buy it.
Lol, no. Turns out, you can eat it right away, but it takes a couple of days to start fermenting. Then, when it's sour enough (2 days for me) you put it in the fridge. It keeps on fermenting then, but lots slower. My radish kimchi looked like it was boiling on the counter by the time I refrigerated it. If I'm brave, it could still be good to eat over the whole year, just getting more funky with time. Not sure how brave I am . .
Old 05-15-17, 01:07 AM   #307
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've made Cevapcici yesterday, with Djuvec rice and Ajvar.
Old 05-15-17, 05:35 AM   #308
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Lol, no. Turns out, you can eat it right away, but it takes a couple of days to start fermenting. Then, when it's sour enough (2 days for me) you put it in the fridge. It keeps on fermenting then, but lots slower. My radish kimchi looked like it was boiling on the counter by the time I refrigerated it. If I'm brave, it could still be good to eat over the whole year, just getting more funky with time. Not sure how brave I am . .
I read about that practice of burying kimchi jars underground in a book on North Korea. Maybe that's the equivalent of your putting it in the refrigerator
Old 05-15-17, 12:58 PM   #309
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I read about that practice of burying kimchi jars underground in a book on North Korea. Maybe that's the equivalent of your putting it in the refrigerator
The lady with all the Korean food making videos I watched for this (maangchi) said her mom used too make 120 heads of cabbage when she was a kid. Might have buried it--pretty sure it was a practice. In one of the zillion videos I watched, she also said it was higher salt/lower sugar content to slow down the fermentation process.
Old 05-16-17, 02:09 AM   #310
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In real Korean kimchi, they probably put in so much chili that it kills almost all fermentation organisms.
Old 05-16-17, 07:05 PM   #311
DVD Talk Special Edition

No pic because I already ate it but my dinner tonight was two leftover slices of digornio pizza, a leftover Taco Bell bean burrito, and leftover ziti from Olive Garden on Mother's day.
Old 05-16-17, 07:26 PM   #312
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
My sister was the one who made Korean food from time to time. We were both adopted but she had lived most her life, at the time, in Korea. So she knew how to make stuff. She would make a huge glass jar of kimchi and keep it in the fridge for a week. Great stuff.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 05-16-17, 07:37 PM   #313
DVD Talk Legend

Parasite eggs can live in Kimchi and you could get quite sick. Be careful...
http://english.donga.com/List/3/all/26/244075/1

Mmmm roundworm
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/...110361011.html