Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Biggest Loser 2011 Edition - Better. Faster. Stronger

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-04-11, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Time for a new year. So a new AND IMPROVED thread!!

Continued from here...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...010-pt-ii.html

And while I'm sure this thread will mainly be about losing weight (I want to lose more), it has evolved into a more generic "Better Health" thread. Not everyone wants to lose weight (or lose more weight). Some want to eat better, run farther or faster, lift more or whatever. Some even want to gain! All are welcome!

Feel free to kick things off by posting your 2010 results and/or goals for 2011.

I lost right at 15 lbs in 2010 which puts me at -85 over all. I'd like lose another 8-10 lbs to get me below 180. No rush, but I'd like to have it off by the end of February and maintain or see how I feel for a while after that.

But I want to continue my running (ran 648 miles in 2010). Improve my 5k speed. Run in regular 5k fun runs with daughter and at least one 10k.

On the weight lifting I want to add to what I'm doing with some full body weight lifting
Old 01-04-11, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Biggest Loser 2011 Edition - Better. Faster. Stronger

I've been stuck at 160 lbs for awhile now. It seems no matter how much I increase my calories I still can't gain. My cousin suggested I start taking creatine. But my brother in law says it will damage the kidneys. Is there a safe suppleme
nt to take?
Old 01-04-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Although there a concerns, no causal link has been shown in Creatine causing kidney damage, but I also don't think it will help... I just don't think supplements work with the exception of the illegal kind. The absolute best way to put on weight is to drink a gallon a milk a day. That is on top of your daily calories (should be at least 5000 possibly more). Also, whats your workout regime consist of?
Old 01-04-11, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Doom is much more knowledgeable than I on the topic. But I will tell you that losing weight takes time and is not an overnight process due to the calorie change needed. Well the same works in reverse. Gaining can't be done over night and requires a good dedicated plan.
Old 01-04-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Although there a concerns, no causal link has been shown in Creatine causing kidney damage, but I also don't think it will help... I just don't think supplements work with the exception of the illegal kind. The absolute best way to put on weight is to drink a gallon a milk a day. That is on top of your daily calories (should be at least 5000 possibly more). Also, whats your workout regime consist of?
Is that skim or full fat milk? I'm currently drinking 5 cups of full fat milk. And I workout 3 times a week an hour each time.
Old 01-04-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll throw in on this thread this year. Last year, my stats were too embarassing so I kept to myself.

I was an athlete in school and got away with being "heavy" because I could move. Same with getting through the academy and my first couple of years on patrol. I was in the 280 range but I could still work.

I got on a scale at the beginning of 2010 and saw the number "350". Shocked the hell out of me. Immediately, I eliminated fast food, fried food, and sodas and got serious about the gym. Long story short, I weighed in at 238 on the first of this year for a weight loss of 112 pounds over 2010.

I'm going to push really hard now (starting p90x as soon as the materials come in). My goals for this year are to get around 210 (I'm just a naturally "big" guy and I have no desire to be skinny) and to participate in my first 5k. I'm specifically targeting one in May for fallen police officers and firefighters. I used to despise cardio, but I'm really starting to get into running since I've stuck with the couch-to-5k program.
Old 01-04-11, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Always full fat, especially if youre trying to gain, and I would definitely up the milk intake... When youre working out, are you only doing weight lifting or is there cardio involved? Take out any cardio and stick to lifting weights only. You are a "hard gainer" and cardio is just working against what youre trying to achieve. Not saying to do this forever but for now its just something you have to do. Sdall is correct it doesnt happen overnight and much like when people start losing weight and have to trim their diets, its uncomfortable, and for your body type, you have to get uncomfortable with the amount of food you eat. So start eating!!!
Old 01-04-11, 12:22 PM

To recap from last year:

I didn't get real serious about the weight loss until around July 09'. From there I went from 225lbs to my lowest which was 192.2lbs (5'10"). I definitely started slacking around November and December, and brought myself back up to 197ish which is where I am now.

My new goal is to be down to 180lbs by May when I return home for a wedding. I will also post before and afters once I hit there. Another goal is to try and constantly update on this thread with my progress every Monday morning. Just to help keep me motivated.

So this weeks update: Currently sitting at 197.0lbs
Old 01-04-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I totally blew it last year, and I am determined this year. Working on my diet again first before anything else.
Old 01-04-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by antennaball View Post
I'll throw in on this thread this year. Last year, my stats were too embarassing so I kept to myself.

I was an athlete in school and got away with being "heavy" because I could move. Same with getting through the academy and my first couple of years on patrol. I was in the 280 range but I could still work.

I got on a scale at the beginning of 2010 and saw the number "350". Shocked the hell out of me. Immediately, I eliminated fast food, fried food, and sodas and got serious about the gym. Long story short, I weighed in at 238 on the first of this year for a weight loss of 112 pounds over 2010.

I'm going to push really hard now (starting p90x as soon as the materials come in). My goals for this year are to get around 210 (I'm just a naturally "big" guy and I have no desire to be skinny) and to participate in my first 5k. I'm specifically targeting one in May for fallen police officers and firefighters. I used to despise cardio, but I'm really starting to get into running since I've stuck with the couch-to-5k program.
Holey crap! 112 lbs lost in 12 months? That is fantastic and amazing!! Besides the elimination of fast food and more gym time, can you share some of the specifics? Did you count calories, go high protein or anything like that? Did you do cardio or mainly weights? How long were your workouts?

Originally Posted by Matto1020 View Post
To recap from last year:

I didn't get real serious about the weight loss until around July 09'. From there I went from 225lbs to my lowest which was 192.2lbs (5'10"). I definitely started slacking around November and December, and brought myself back up to 197ish which is where I am now.

My new goal is to be down to 180lbs by May when I return home for a wedding. I will also post before and afters once I hit there. Another goal is to try and constantly update on this thread with my progress every Monday morning. Just to help keep me motivated.

So this weeks update: Currently sitting at 197.0lbs
So roughly 35 lbs lost? Nothing wrong with that. An very good!

Yup, for some the thread is motivating. I've really found the more I track things the more I focus and maintain and/or improve. I mainly use the Nike+ GPS app and web sight and a Run tracker on my phone.

Originally Posted by glassdragon View Post
I totally blew it last year, and I am determined this year. Working on my diet again first before anything else.
The hardest part is starting. Just jump in! Eliminate something small or cut back for something small to get you started. Even do some easy mall walking a couple times a week. Just to take that first step and get your mind in the right place.

I lost about 70 lbs over 14 months. But I didn't lose any for the first month or two. Just taking those first small steps and getting a plan going. I really think taking small steps is a good recipe for success.
Old 01-04-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
I've been stuck at 160 lbs for awhile now. It seems no matter how much I increase my calories I still can't gain.
I weighed in at 243.2 yesterday. Wanna switch body weights?
Old 01-04-11, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm at 178. Trying to go under 170 and then see.

I'm 5'8'' so I'm a little overweight. Under 165 lb should put my BMI in Normal, but I don't care too much about that. I think the mirror test is best.
I did 4 half marathons last year, and right now I'm training for a full marathon in May 1st. I'm also trying a little bit of P90X here and there and some Kinect videogames. But my main focus is going to be training for the marathon.
Old 01-04-11, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never participated in these threads before because I was never particularly serious about losing weight. I would have been happy to do so, but I certainly wasn't going out of my way. Anyway, here's my story...

Last August, I went out of work with a pulled groin muscle. When I would go to the doctor to follow up, he'd always talk to me about my blood pressure or my weight and that I should procure a regular doctor and go for a full check-up. At some point during that month, I found a doctor and scheduled an appointment. I also bought a scale, as I'd never owned one before. I knew I was big, but I didn't necessarily want to know just how big. When I first stepped on the scale, I weighed in at 302. Over the following weeks, I'd weight myself occasionally and was stunned to see 311 at one point. Good band...not a good weight. Especially considering that I'm only 5'7".

Early September, I saw the doctor. First words out of his mouth? "You need to lose weight." I don't really know what it was, but something inside of me just clicked. Finally. I cut out the fast food and the greasy fried chicken from my store's deli that I'd often have for lunch. Instead of drinking 4 or 5 cans of soda a day, I dropped to 1 a day. It didn't take long for the weight to start coming off. After work, I'd take my son and go for long walks around the city, just exploring. When daylight savings time ended, I bought a recumbent bike and did 10 miles a night on that. By the beginning of October, I was down to 281. Beginning of November saw me weigh in at 268. On December 11th, I weighed in at 250. Since then, I've been hovering between that and 246. This morning, I reached my lowest weight in years at 244.

In terms of exercise, now that the winter is upon us, I do 20 miles on my bike each night. I'll do two sessions of 10 miles each. My diet consists of a lot of boneless skinless chicken and fish. Instead of skipping breakfast and having a huge lunch and a huge dinner, I'll have breakfast along with 4 or 5 other small meals throughout the day. Once a week, I'll have a splurge day where I eat pretty much whatever I want. Even on those days, I'm not ingesting half of the stuff I used to put away though.

I feel so much better at 244 than I did weighing over 300. My feet and knees don't hurt so badly at the end of the day. I actually have energy to get out and do things. I don't feel as lethargic as I have in the past. It's such a great feeling...it really is.

In terms of goals, I don't really have one per se. My lowest weight as an adult was 210, so that would certainly be something to shoot for. Ultimately, I just want to get to a weight that I feel comfortable at and can maintain.
Old 01-04-11, 05:20 PM

2010:

Didn't go into the year thinking about losing weight, or working out until I hit the scale and came in around 204 (my high school weight was 130/135), and so I started working out (walking/jogging/running) in mid-january. My low was down to about 152 in mid-summer. I put off trying to lose weight at that point.

2011:

I now find myself at 160lbs and currently have a bad knee from over doing it a month or so ago.
It's slowly getting better, and I'm jogging with a knee brace now. I ordered a stationary bike from amazon yesterday and plan on riding it for 45 minutes a day 5 days a week in addition to my jogging.

My 2011 goal is to get down to 135/140lb's. Once I attain that weight I'll start my marathon training again (I assume my knees will appreciate the 20lb difference in weight).

My speed goal is to get my 5k time under 18 minutes.

I had a goal of doing a half-marathon this May, but my left knee is telling me otherwise.
Old 01-04-11, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Holey crap! 112 lbs lost in 12 months? That is fantastic and amazing!! Besides the elimination of fast food and more gym time, can you share some of the specifics? Did you count calories, go high protein or anything like that? Did you do cardio or mainly weights? How long were your workouts?
Honestly, I did NO set plan as far as eating goes. I tried counting calories for all of a week or so and I realized that I would slowly go insane doing that. I just cut out fast food and fried foods and ate lots of things like salads, grilled chicken, and salmon. I do eat a decent amount of protein like natural peanut butter, almonds, and protein shakes.

I work out for around an hour 6 days a week. The first 6 months or so of the year, I did mainly cardio. A lot of time on the treadmill and some outside running. Since then, I've started mixing in a lot of weight training and honestly...I think it's better now. The cardio helped me lose weight, but the weight training has started transforming my body. The gym has really become my sanctuary.

The thing that has kept me going the most (as vain as this sounds) is the recognition from other people. Every time I see someone I haven't seen in a while and they talk about barely recognizing me, it just makes me want to go workout harder and get that much better.
Old 01-04-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2010: When I started in May I was at 326.7 (according to the Wii).

2011: This morning at 277.5 -- been stuck in this range for a bit, but at least I didn't go up in December.
Old 01-04-11, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was able to lose 17 lbs last year. I started Weight Watchers in August. I look to continue to lose until I hit my goal of 160. That is 37 more pounds. I am going on a rock cruise at the end of April so I would like to drop at least 20 before then. I am cutting out all white flour and soda. I will start spinning again and begin resistance training.
Old 01-04-11, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is that skim or full fat milk? I'm currently drinking 5 cups of full fat milk. And I workout 3 times a week an hour each time.
Whole milk, typically. Google "GOMAD" and you'll find lots of info and success/failure stories.
Old 01-04-11, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by antennaball View Post
The thing that has kept me going the most (as vain as this sounds) is the recognition from other people. Every time I see someone I haven't seen in a while and they talk about barely recognizing me, it just makes me want to go workout harder and get that much better.
I'm right there with you on that one. I love hearing how much better I look. It's really increased my self-esteem and brought back a bit of a swagger that I hadn't had in years.
Old 01-04-11, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
Whole milk, typically. Google "GOMAD" and you'll find lots of info and success/failure stories.
Yep... The old gomad is the way old school powerlifters/body builders put on weight when they were younger. Sure they had help from pharmaceutical enhancement as well, but that came well afterwards. www.startingstrength.com is a wonderful resource.
Old 01-04-11, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Everyone at my work says i should stop bulking and start cutting cause i"ve gotten too fat:

I'm 158 lbs
Old 01-04-11, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Everyone at my work says i should stop bulking and start cutting cause i"ve gotten too fat:

I'm 158 lbs
Well keep in mind that the most recent studies indicate total pounds is not the only factor in overall health including heart conditions. Other factors such as % of body fat and where you carry your weight can be huge factors. In fact many call it "skinny fat". Meaning by the scale, they may be fine, but because of their % of body fat, lack of activity, etc they have many of the same problems as the obese. It is very possible for people to be healthy or unhealthy at a number of different weights. In fact it is possible to be healthy or unheathy at the exact same weight.
Old 01-04-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm 158 lbs
Yeah, you don't need to be bulking at this point. I know this is coming from a vegan, but I wouldn't recommend drinking a lot (or any) milk after seeing those photos.

When you're talking about how you can't gain, are you saying you can't gain strength in your lifts or you can't gain weight?
Old 01-04-11, 10:50 PM

I posted this exactly one year ago in the previous thread:

I weigh about 163 and my goal is 120 by November. 152 by March 29 (my bday). So that's about 1 pound per week.

I am actually a few pounds heavier, at about 165 or 166 I am only 5ft tall so this makes me obese. Last year I really didnt commit to any changes.

I am keeping track of the calories I eat with loseit.com . My goal is to weight 153 by my birthday and 125 by October.
Old 01-04-11, 11:31 PM

In October 2009 I weighed 262 (5' 11"). My fiance and I decided we wanted to lose weight for our wedding in October 2010. We started watching what we ate, exercising five times a week and cut out junk food entirely. In October 2010 I weighed in at 167 after losing 95 pounds. My wife lost nearly 80 pounds. In fact our combined weight loss was more than I weigh now. We continue exercising regularly and watching what we eat. Hard work, but totally worth it!

October 2009:

October 2010:

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.