DVD Talk Legend

Re: Biggest Loser 2011 Edition - Better. Faster. Stronger

I'm 5' 5'
Old 04-04-11, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
I'm 5' 5'
Well, I'd say just keep cutting the next few months to lean out for summer. Than you can focus on trying to build some muscle from there...

I'm ahead of schedule... down 12 lbs in 5 wks. Lifts are about the same, just tired all the time. Anther 10 lbs will put me at 165, which will probably be what I coast at thru summer. I'll try to not put on 20+ lbs next fall/winter...
Old 04-08-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk God

anyone try meal snap app?
ipad/iphone app that counts the calories of your meal just by taking a picture of it

http://www.redmondpie.com/you-can-no...phones-camera/
Old 04-08-11, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OH damn...will have to try that...

Working about 45 minutes outside of Pittsburgh. Found 3 gyms I can workout at...so staying the course. Might do a 5k race in Pittsburgh next weekend.
Old 04-11-11, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-07-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Winning!

1st Place overall 5k this morning with a time of 21:08
Not my fastest time (it was wet and a bit windy).

Now off to see if I gained any warlock powers...
Old 05-08-11, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haven't posted in a while and haven't gotten much done in the last 2 months.

Got the flu in early March, and shortly thereafter got bronchitis, which had me coughing for a while and for several weeks afterward got me coughing a lot at the slightest hint of physical activty.

However, back to normal, I had started running 2.5 miles in the neighborhood and have increased to 3.5, and within the last 2 weeks have been going 5 miles.

First run was 58 minutes and and second was 55 minutes. I've got my 3rd coming up tomorrow, and should get in a few more before an 8K I've registered for on May 21st, Run For the Dream in Colonial Williamsburg. Going to take at least 1 practice run with a map, possibly tomorrow, so I know the route.

My weight stayed about even while I was sick and subsequent weeks with coughing, but have lost another 10 pounds, which brings total weight loss this year to 45 pounds. Going to Myrtle Beach last week in June, and hoping to get to 75 pounds total loss by then.
Old 05-08-11, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

23 lbs lost in 10 wks. Lifts have stayed the same. Really underestimated how much I'd have to lose. I'd like to drop five more these last three wks before memorial wknd.

Question, does strength correlate with muscle size? I'm lifting more but I don't see size difference compared to previous years. Weight will end up about the same but I've gained 90+ lbs more in leg lifts.
Old 05-08-11, 08:35 PM

On 5.10.11, it will be 4 months since my 4th hernia surgery. Weighed in today at 187, have been lifting and cardio since I was cleared a few weeks back. Feeling great. 106lbs lost in the past 12 months.
Old 05-08-11, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
23 lbs lost in 10 wks. Lifts have stayed the same. Really underestimated how much I'd have to lose. I'd like to drop five more these last three wks before memorial wknd.

Question, does strength correlate with muscle size? I'm lifting more but I don't see size difference compared to previous years. Weight will end up about the same but I've gained 90+ lbs more in leg lifts.
Nice job on the weight loss.

And simple answer is no. If you are losing weight then it will be difficult to gain muscle. Think about it. GAINING muscle. That requires adding calories. LOSING weight requires a calorie deficit. It is almost impossible to add while subtracting.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't lift while losing weight. When you lose weight you lose muscle and fat. Lifting will help minimize the muscle loss.
Old 05-08-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
And simple answer is no. If you are losing weight then it will be difficult to gain muscle. Think about it. GAINING muscle. That requires adding calories. LOSING weight requires a calorie deficit. It is almost impossible to add while subtracting.
Right, I wasn't referring to the last few months, just where I've been at the last few years around this time. I think the few pounds of muscle I've added went to the legs/midsection... definitely have the V line, veins happening more than years past.
Old 05-09-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Right, I wasn't referring to the last few months, just where I've been at the last few years around this time. I think the few pounds of muscle I've added went to the legs/midsection... definitely have the V line, veins happening more than years past.
Well I'm not saying you can't gain some muscle on a calorie deficit diet, but you can't (well I won't say can't, but difficult) to gain anything significant in the way of muscle without going to a calorie plus diet.

What is more likely happening is that as you are losing weight and fat, you are revealing more of the muscle you do have. For example, when I got down to 183 last summer could see a little defining in my gut. No, I didn't have a 6 pack, but I could see a 2 pack...lol....now that I'm about 190, that is gone. Yet if anything I'm lifting more and doing more core stuff.

(And I didn't mean you or I can't have six pack at 190 or be lean and muscular at any weight. Its just I didn't gain 7-10 pounds of lean muscle. I can fat...lol)

Last edited by Sdallnct; 05-09-11 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-10-11, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Although in general, muscle size and strength are correlative, there's much more involved... I know huge body builders that have relatively no strength (all show-no go) and small guys who are strong as an ox. The fact is it’s hard to gain strength/lose fat at the same time, but not impossible. Weight loss is strictly energy balance (calories in/calories out) but fat loss-muscle gain is a bit more complex, and can be done. If you’re getting more vascular, that generally means muscle sparing fat loss and that’s a good thing.
Old 05-10-11, 09:31 PM
Banned

On most diets, it is impossible to lose weight and gain muscle simultaneously because it would be breaking one of the most basic laws of physics. You cannot build something from nothing (unless you are God). In order to build muscle, you have to have to build it from something. (I.E. you build it from surplus calories and especially protein.) Contrary to popular belief, fat does not turn into muscle or vice versa. They are two completely different things, as different as your heart and lungs. Your heart cannot turn into another pair of lungs just as your fat cannot turn into muscle.

You NEED surplus calories to build muscle. 99.9% of all cutting diets will have you on a calorie deficit, so there are no surplus building blocks to build anything from. You cannot build muscle from fat. That's why there are two different phases "cutting" and "bulking."

Now it would theoretically be possible to cut fat and bulk muscle, but it would be very tricky and also very slow, and definitely not something everyone could or should do. To do it, you would have to have a calorie surplus to build muscle since it is completely impossible to build something from nothing, but at the same time you need to be burning fat. In order to burn fat, you would need to do strenuous cardio on an empty stomach like when you first wake up in the morning. Since you are starting on a deficit, the cardio goes straight to the fat burning. Then the rest of the day you are going to be needing lots of calories and specifically protein to bulk your muscles up, and since you are going to be on a surplus you are going to be gaining weight, so you need to eat a very very clean diet in order to not gain fat. You won't be able to cheat much, if at all, or else the surplus is going to turn to fat. Basically your diet is going to be lean protein and veggies and nothing else. Not even fruit or whole grains because those will turn to fat on a surplus diet. Fruit = sugar and grain = carbs. You have to eat very very very clean if you want to eat a surplus and cut fat simultaneously.

I have never done that myself or really ever heard of anyone attempting it, but it should be possible in theory. It would be very slow going though, and won't allow for hardly any "cheat" meals. I definitely would not recommend it. The old school separating into cutting and bulking phases is always best.

And no, muscle strength and size are not always correlative. Like the previous poster said, some huge bodybuilders can have relatively low strength, and some little guys (like Bruce Lee for example) can hit you and you will feel like you were just hit by a mac truck. As a very crude example, lets suppose right now you can potentially lift 100 lbs. But suppose you haven't lifted anything heavy in ages, so your muscles aren't as strong as they potentially can be. You are therefore only lifting maybe 60 lbs. You start lifting, and you are getting stronger, but your muscles aren't getting bigger. Why? Because your muscles are just becoming more efficient and are getting closer to their max potential of 100 lbs. This is what happens when you typically lift while cutting. Your muscles are getting stronger, from 60 lbs to 70 to 80 to 90 to 100, but then your strength stops because you have reached your max potential. To increase your max potential, you have to increase your size. Now suppose you bulk for a few months and gain muscle. Your max potential has increased from 100 to 150 lbs. So going back to cutting and lifting, you will be getting stronger again as you reach your new max potential but your muscles won't be getting any bigger. That's all size really represents is your max potential, and that's why little guys like Bruce Lee can hit so hard while being so small is because they are operating at max potential.
Old 05-11-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Both good posts!!

I'm seem to be back into the swing of things. Last month and part of February, I had slight setback. Oh nothing major. I still worked out "regularly" but not the 5-6 times a week I was use to. I also let what I was eating go a bit. Sort of let junk get back into my eating. I gained a little weight from my low of about 185 last summer. Up to probably 195. But that is starting to come off again and feeling good. Current workout:

Every other day run a 5k
Opposite days, run 1 mile + 25-30 minutes of weights as follows:
30 second rest between sets,
3 sets of 8 lat pull down as a warm up (100-115 lbs)
5 sets of 5 Roman dead lift 70 lbs
5 sets of 5 sitting curls (35-40 lbs each dumbel)
5 sets of 5 dumbel row using a knee on a bench (50-55 lbs)
5 sets of 5 sitting military press (35-40 lbs each)
3 sets of 8 pushups using a bar or dumbels
2-3 sets of 30 sec planks.

I've been pretty good at running a 5k outdoor race each month and set a personal best last month doing that. And getting back to eating correctly with a calorie deficit diet...not pushing that. If I can lose a 1 a week or 2 lbs every 10 days, I'm fine....
Old 05-11-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah my training and eating have been in the crapper since the end of last year due to family problems and my seperation/divorce... Things finally starting to calm down so getting back into the swing of things. Have some weight to lose and new goals so this will be interesting since my ex was my best training partner.
Old 05-11-11, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Although in general, muscle size and strength are correlative, there's much more involved... I know huge body builders that have relatively no strength (all show-no go) and small guys who are strong as an ox. The fact is it’s hard to gain strength/lose fat at the same time, but not impossible. Weight loss is strictly energy balance (calories in/calories out) but fat loss-muscle gain is a bit more complex, and can be done. If you’re getting more vascular, that generally means muscle sparing fat loss and that’s a good thing.
How do 200lbs bodybuilders get to the point where they have low body fat? When i attempted to clean bulk i gained a lot of fat on my belly. It seems like if i bulk to over 200 I may not be able to get my bf % low enough. I want good sized muscles and six pack abs but it just doesn't seem possible. Am i missing something here?
Old 05-12-11, 12:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
When i attempted to clean bulk i gained a lot of fat on my belly.
What is your idea of a clean bulk? My guess is that your idea of clean isn't really all that clean. You will gain some fat anytime you bulk, that can't be helped, but it shouldn't be so much that you are gaining a belly.

And aren't you like 5'6"? Why are you trying to bulk to 200 lbs at that height?
Old 05-16-11, 12:00 AM

Check-in today because of a big milestone. This morning, I ran my very first 5k. As a reminder, I had ballooned to 350 as of January 2010. This morning, I woke up at 220 lbs and went out and ran the 5k. I had been training for it for only 3-4 weeks, and I wasn't confident I'd be able to run the entire thing due to the hilly course. I ran with my good friend and she set the pace comfortably from the get-go and we never broke stride. Finished at 33:51. Not a great time, I understand...but I ran the whole thing and from where I was physically a year and a half ago, it seemed like winning an olympic event when I crossed that finish line.

The other part of that is I may officially be hooked on the 5k thing. Already registered for one in two weeks (coincidentally, a benefit police officer's memorial race). My friend is already talking about getting us signed up for one every other weekend (to match my work schedule) with goals of doing the Warrior Dash in November and a 10k next year.

Who knew this shit could be addicting?
Old 05-16-11, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
What is your idea of a clean bulk? My guess is that your idea of clean isn't really all that clean. You will gain some fat anytime you bulk, that can't be helped, but it shouldn't be so much that you are gaining a belly.

This pretty much nails it... Plus there are a lot of other "enhancements" that go into it as well.
Old 05-18-11, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by antennaball View Post
Check-in today because of a big milestone. This morning, I ran my very first 5k. As a reminder, I had ballooned to 350 as of January 2010. This morning, I woke up at 220 lbs and went out and ran the 5k. I had been training for it for only 3-4 weeks, and I wasn't confident I'd be able to run the entire thing due to the hilly course. I ran with my good friend and she set the pace comfortably from the get-go and we never broke stride. Finished at 33:51. Not a great time, I understand...but I ran the whole thing and from where I was physically a year and a half ago, it seemed like winning an olympic event when I crossed that finish line.

The other part of that is I may officially be hooked on the 5k thing. Already registered for one in two weeks (coincidentally, a benefit police officer's memorial race). My friend is already talking about getting us signed up for one every other weekend (to match my work schedule) with goals of doing the Warrior Dash in November and a 10k next year.

Who knew this shit could be addicting?
I agree.

I've never been a runner and hated running in high school where we had to run the mile once a month or so in gym class. I ended up getting OK at it but didn't like it. Wife and I started running to supplement our workouts and began with a mile and quickly jumped to 2.5 miles and then 5 miles over the last month and a half or so. For the last 2 weeks we've been doing 5 miles twice a week.

Saturday morning we're doing the An Achievable Dream Run for the Dream 8K in Colonial Williamsburg, with 4500 registered already. It'll be our first race. About 2800 for the half marathon on Sunday and 1600+ for the 8K. We plan on doing a few 5Ks and 10K in the fall. By next spring I hope I can do a half-marathon.
Old 05-21-11, 01:18 PM

Won a 2 mile race today.

They messed up the times, but near as I can tell came in at 12:08 (although it felt faster).
Old 05-21-11, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post

I meant not eating any fast food to reach my daily calories. I've read people doing dirty bulk i.e. nothing but fast food.

bulk to 200 and cut down to 180.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.