Reload this Page >

Biggest Loser 2011 Edition - Better. Faster. Stronger

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Biggest Loser 2011 Edition - Better. Faster. Stronger

Old 01-20-11, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Biggest Loser 2011 Edition - Better. Faster. Stronger

Originally Posted by Blommy View Post
I started running a few months ago and had major shin pain in one leg. I bought a shin compression wrap and it has helped a lot.
Ooh, thanks - I might have to try that.

And 40 isn't old!
I'm not 40! (yet)
Old 01-20-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I'm pushing 40, so just plain old.
Well I'll be 47 in February and only took up running 18 months ago.

I tore a calf muscle the first 4 months I started running. But since that has healed, I have been injury free.

I think part of it is that while I run daily I've been sticking to 5k for distance. However I'm stretching that a bit. Daughter wants to run in a 10k, so might have to do that. Even tho I have been running 18 months, I haven't "gotten the bug". No desire to run a marathon.
Old 01-20-11, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Good luck!

I had a great 6 mile run last Sunday and this week my 2 runs (3 miles on Tuesday and 6 miles yesterday) were so so. I'm running another 3 later today and I'm not expecting big things. But it's OK, I have to be ready for my long run this Saturday (11 miles!).

The good news is that my weight seems to be going down again, 178 again, the same weight from my first post here. I think I'll stop drinking beer
Well I did do my 5k tonight. And an ok time. But still a lot more effort than I'm use to and more than last week for sure. On my run tracker, I gave "effort" an 8 (out of 10) tonight. Normally my 5k runs I feel are 6 or 7's.

It might just be one of those things I need to push through....
Old 01-21-11, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stolen from another forum:

"Bodybuilding is a timely process, it doesn't happen over night, it takes years. don't go out buying everything possible cuz you think you'll get stronger.. give it time, stick to your routine, eat right and sleep."
Old 01-22-11, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
Stolen from another forum:

"Bodybuilding is a timely process, it doesn't happen over night, it takes years. don't go out buying everything possible cuz you think you'll get stronger.. give it time, stick to your routine, eat right and sleep."
Yup, people (most) don't realize how much time, effort, commitment and energy goes into trying to gain even 5, 8, 10 or 12 lbs of muscle.
Old 01-23-11, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went from 303 a few days before my first post on the 15th to 290 on my Friday weigh-in.
Old 01-23-11, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GradVT06 View Post
Went from 303 a few days before my first post on the 15th to 290 on my Friday weigh-in.
That's awesome. Congrats! What was your exercise routine?
Old 01-23-11, 12:23 PM

Wow congratulations!
Old 01-23-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice!
Old 01-23-11, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Last two workouts (yesterday and today) have been much better. My run yesterday was what I'd call a normal run both in speed and effort. And todays weights went well (as did the warm up run before). I think the better eating has finally kicked in. Plus maybe just worked through a speed bump.

I also tried the dead lift today. Just 50 lbs. Just trying to get the movement down. Feels so odd, but than running felt odd when I started that. I just did two sets of 10. One before my normal work out and one after. Again, just trying to get the movement down. Then I'll work it into my routine.
Old 01-23-11, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm trying to run again. I think I'll run every other day and do my Wii routine on the odd days. I just had to get off the treadmill because my compression shorts sprung a hole and were rubbing something awful.
Old 01-23-11, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Ooh, thanks - I might have to try that.

I'm not 40! (yet)
Also, try taping up you arches... Not super tight, but tight enough that its not painful.
Old 01-24-11, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My trainer is really trying hard to get me on his drugs. Today i go in and he pulls me to the side in his office and opens his big bag of supplements. He starts handing me pills saying "Take this now it'll make you lift better" I told him i just drank some sugar free rockstar to avoid taking them.

Then he goes on and on how i should buy this and buy that if you wanna get big.

I'm pretty sure he can get in trouble for promoting all these supplements especially since he said "Keep this between us"

I called him out on the whole testosterone/ hormones being bad for you. His response "That's testosterone boosters, the natural testosterone pills are safe to take"

I feel like i should report his ass but i'm afraid he'll kick my ass. Not sure what to do...
Old 01-24-11, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Find another trainer, and quick... The guy is an ass. Not only is he taking advantage of the situation, he's not very good at what he does (everything you have said he has told you to do is shit and sounds ridiculous). You could report him, just not sure what good it would do.
Old 01-24-11, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah fortunately my last training session was last week. He keeps trying to get me to sign up for more but not going to after all this.
Old 01-26-11, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I also tried the dead lift today. Just 50 lbs. Just trying to get the movement down. Feels so odd, but than running felt odd when I started that. I just did two sets of 10. One before my normal work out and one after. Again, just trying to get the movement down. Then I'll work it into my routine.
I'll need to start these when I change up my routine in a few wks. It works mostly legs and lower back right?
Old 01-26-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
I'll need to start these when I change up my routine in a few wks. It works mostly legs and lower back right?
Doom can chime in, but my understanding is that the Dead Lift is one of the best "full body" moves.

Muscles worked: quadriceps (front thighs), hamstrings (back of thigh), gluteals (butt), lower back

Benefits of the Deadlift. Deadlifts work your back, legs & forearms. Deadlifts don’t develop your legs like Squats do: your hips start higher. That’s why you can substitute Squats for Deadlifts in case of knee injuries.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson101.htm
Old 01-26-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah the main movers in the deadlifts are the back and posterior chain (glutes & hams) with quads in there as well... But it takes the entire body to deadlift plus of all the lifts, its probably the most functional one you will do. Still think the squat is the king of the exercises but the deadlift would be the queen. Yes its a girl because its a straight up bitch to do.
Old 01-26-11, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Yeah the main movers in the deadlifts are the back and posterior chain (glutes & hams) with quads in there as well... But it takes the entire body to deadlift plus of all the lifts, its probably the most functional one you will do. Still think the squat is the king of the exercises but the deadlift would be the queen. Yes its a girl because its a straight up bitch to do.
Yup...It seems like such an unnatural move. Monday I only used 50 lbs. Yesterday 70. But I'm really trying to focus on form. With these weights I can't let the far touch the ground (well I guess I could, but I can't seem to hold form). I might have to go up to a normal bar and 45lb plates (if I remember that being the largest plates) just so the height it right.
Old 01-26-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try Romanian Deadlifts... You start from the standing position. Really hard to deadlift if the bar isnt at the proper height on the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eZA_QDy9cY
Old 01-27-11, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
That's awesome. Congrats! What was your exercise routine?
I've been going to the YMCA here for 2 years and had lost 50lbs and plateaud at around 250. Lost it going to cardio classes with my wife- Cardio blast, kickboxing, boot camp, circuit training, turbo kick, step, etc.

In the fall everything from car accidents, new car warranty engine replacement, redoing the floors and finding a leak and replacing subflooring, other unexpected house repairs, and holidays caught us and gained it back.

I've kept the same thing, but have been going more often, from about 4 to 6 times a week, and eating much healthier. We tried before but still ate out, ate unhealthy, and had spurts of healthy eating but nothing consistent.

Last few weeks have been lean protein, little fat, very little carbs that aren't whole-grain, lots of fruit and veggies. I've also given up soda been drinking milk, juice, and mostly water. Tried a soda for the first time in about 2 weeks last night and it burned my throat and tasted awful.

I've made it a point to only weigh myself once/week, but I weighed myself Wednesday morning and I'm down another 2 pounds, but my workouts are heavier towards the end of the week- 2 consecutive Turbokicks in the morning, circuit training at night, abs/cardioblast friday night, and Turbokick Saturday morning. Hopefully by Friday night/Saturday morning weigh-in I'll be down another 3-4 pounds giving me 5-6lb loss for the week.

I don't enjoy weight training but we'll start that soon as well, as soon as all the new year's resolution quitters stop coming. We've been members of the Y here for 2 years now but never once did all the weight machines.

Originally Posted by missflores View Post
Wow congratulations!
Thanks- hope to keep it up.

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Nice!
Workin on it. Reading yours and other posts about weight lifting and weight training is helping me getting started to adding that to my cardio exercises.

Only problem is after more intense workouts my shins hurt for days. I've tried therma-care pads, and heating up a sock with rice in it/freezing it and putting on my legs but that doesn't seem to help.
Old 01-27-11, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, here we go...

In the last few years I have put on a lot of weight. As of Tuesday, I weigh 299 lbs. Last Tuesday I joined Weight Watchers, and will be going every week.

Start: 299
Goal: 199

I will weigh in every week and post here. Unfortunately, exercise will be limited because I have a Herniated disk in my back, that will most likely require surgery in the near future.
Old 01-27-11, 10:35 PM

May 2010: 293
December 2010: 188
As of today: 192

I had hernia surgery for the third time back in September 2010 and again for the fourth time on the 10th of January.

I'm so glad that I have stuck to eating well because this hernia surgery has really been trying mentally knowing that I have to hold back physically until I recover. I had been exercising 6 days/week 3 cardio/3 weights. I am 6'8", so I never looked really fat but man do I feel so much better (besides the hernia surgeries).

Hopefully no more surgeries. It has been difficult.
Old 01-28-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What keeps happening to cauce the surgeries?
Old 01-28-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quick question; overall, which is better: Running about 2.5 miles every day, or running about 5 miles every other day?

I know rest plays a big part in things, but 24 hours of rest should also be fine if you're not overdoing it, right?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.