Reload this Page >

Biggest Loser 2011 Edition - Better. Faster. Stronger

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Biggest Loser 2011 Edition - Better. Faster. Stronger

Old 05-21-11, 10:22 PM
Banned

Re: Biggest Loser 2011 Edition - Better. Faster. Stronger

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
I meant not eating any fast food to reach my daily calories. I've read people doing dirty bulk i.e. nothing but fast food.

bulk to 200 and cut down to 180.

So your idea of clean is just not to eat fast food? You can eat a bad diet and never even touch fast food. At any grocery store there are entire rows of nothing but junk.

A clean diet is basically a completely natural diet. Lean meat, veggies, fruits, a little dairy and whole grains. A hunter/gatherer diet basically.

Anything that comes in a box, there is a 99% chance it is bad for you. Look at the list of ingredients. If the list is a mile long, it is not good for you. If there are lots of ingredients that you can't pronounce, it probably isn't good for you. If you don't even know what it is, you probably shouldn't be sticking in it your body. The biggest rule is to pay attention to the top five ingredients. They are listed in order of quantity, so if sugar, hydrogenated anything, or high fructose corn syrup are in the top five, that is very very bad.

I bet even though you aren't eating fast food, you are still eating too much sugary junk. Too many carbs is going to make you fat no matter how much you exercise. People tend to greatly overestimate just how many calories exercise actually burns. I always shake my head when someone runs on a treadmill for half an hour and then right afterwards downs a whole 32 ounce soda drink. They just completely negated the entire calorie burn in one fell swoop.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 05-21-11 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-23-11, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm at 173, I haven't lost too many pounds since my first post it seems. I thought I have started at 188, but no, LOL.

The good news is that I feel thinner. I have more muscle, specially in my legs since I'm running. Yesterday I did a half marathon and had my best time in 7 years, finished in 2 hours and 5 seconds.

So, still trying to get under 170 lbs and to run a half marathon under 2 hours.
Old 05-25-11, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ran in my first race this past weekend with my wife, it was an 8K.

I had been looking forward to it a lot since we registered, and then Friday morning I was hit with some kind of stomach bug. I took every over-the-counter stomach medicine I could find at the drugstore throughout Friday and Friday night since I didn't get a wink of sleep heading into the race on Saturday morning. I ended up telling my wife I needed to go slower halfway through (which felt like I had finished and was about to die) which sucks b/c usually I'm wanting to go a little faster.

We ended up about 2 minutes over our usual finish time while running 5 miles in the neighborhood, and given the state of my lower torso I think I be proud of finishing and finishing with only a 2 minute jump in my time.

I'm planning on registering for a half-marathon in September in Virginia Beach. It looks to be like a really nice run with most of it right on the boardwalk/beachline.

Currently down to 247 from 303. If I can lose 22 pounds by June 26th I'll be down to my first goal of 225 by the time we leave for our summer vacation in Myrtle Beach.
Old 05-28-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

very nice guys!

Can anyone help me?

I have one of those waverunner kick/punching cushion on one of those things that you fill up with water. My question is..does anyone know of any kind of program, where you can work your upper body/lower body, incorportating the kick/punching bag?
Old 05-28-11, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Look into Rosstraining.com... He may have some good resources
Old 05-28-11, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Weight starting to come off again. Don't know how much, but my jeans are getting really big and close to needing a lower size. And I have dropped a size in "docker" pants.

But I've taken a hit on running. Not sure what the issue is....guess I really do need to change somethings up. Pleased with weight (a modified 5x5 stripped program).
Old 05-28-11, 05:08 PM

At 191, working out 6 days a week now since hernia is healed. I can feel the slight weight gain due to muscle increase. Was at a 44 waist last year, now at a 34, which is pretty damn good for 6'8".
Old 06-01-11, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup, have been losing weight again. I know I had crept back up to close to 195, but now down to 186.5. Should be real close back to 185 next week which will get me back to -85 total. I'll continue my efforts as I really want to get to 171-173. I'd love the idea of saying I 100 lbs.

I've gotten my eating back under control and more consistent with my workouts.
Old 06-04-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Had a good 2 mile race this morning.
Came in with a time of 11:40
7th overall, first in age group.

A 1:16 improvement over last year on this course.

I'm only about a minute away from my times when I was 17 on a two mile course. I think the only thing holding me back is my weight. If I got back down to 145 or so I should be right back there (back up to about 160 now).
Old 06-06-11, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I ran in the Firefly night 5k race Saturday night. OMG I about passed out. It was still 94 degrees and humid. And I wore the free cotton shirt instead of one of my running (breathable) shirts. That is the hardest (and slowest) I've run. But I did make it. About 2.5 MINUTES off my normal time and I'm counting as a personal worse...ha! But did finish and well into the top half (about 867 out of 2350 that finished).

Not only was the heat a factor, but I know I lost a minute the first 3/4 mile. The route was poor and for at least the first 1/2 mile you could barely walk fast. Then another 1/4 mile a slow run. But with the heat and humidity, I couldn't make it up.

Anyway...was fun.

I'm losing weight again. I've paired up with a friend and we are pushing each other. I had forgotten how motivating it is to have a partner and helping each other....love it!

Despite my calorie deficit diet, I still seem to be gain strength (if not bulk). I'm about ready to move up in weights in several of my lifting sets.
Old 06-07-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL! Here in Northern California I think really hard about running if temperatures are above the 70s.
Old 06-07-11, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone running in the Warrior Dash? I have never done it before, but myself and a few friends have signed up for the August 14th NY run.
Old 06-07-11, 02:37 PM

I see no point in participating in a race that isn't timed.
Old 06-07-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
23 lbs lost in 10 wks. Lifts have stayed the same. Really underestimated how much I'd have to lose. I'd like to drop five more these last three wks before memorial wknd.
Good work.

I'm at the same area as you. Lost ~20 lbs in the last 8 weeks. Question: What's your diet like?

Mine is a meal shake with egg white protein for breakfast.... salad with some chicken on it for lunch, no dressing, no croutons, no cheese.... vegetables and small piece of fish/chicken/meat for dinner. Cheat here and there but control my portions when I do. Making sure that I get 64 ounces of water a day is key as well. Also cut out the beer... drink vodka w/ soda when I'm out and also cut that down to once a week.

Hitting the gym 3 times a week... 2 days I do cardio weight lifting and once a week I do strict cardio (boxing only, can't stand the treadmill).
Old 06-08-11, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Anyone running in the Warrior Dash? I have never done it before, but myself and a few friends have signed up for the August 14th NY run.
I ran the one in Ohio over the weekend. Had a blast! Running one in Canada on July 9th.
Old 06-12-11, 01:11 PM

‎5k race this morning.

Came in 4th overall. 1st in age division with a time of 19:41
A 1:49 improvement from last year on the same course.
Kept up with the leaders for the first half mile or so, then my legs went and I fell back.
Old 06-19-11, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So "officially" in 34" waist paints. All pants!! For a bit I was wearing 34" dress/docker pants but still 36" jeans. Well had a night out planned and realized even my 501's at 36" seemed a big so went to see if I could find a 35". They didn't have but on a lark I tried the 34" one's and they fit with comfort!!

When I started this journey the only jeans I could wear were 46"-48" loose fit jeans and 44"-46" dress pants.

I've always wanted to be able to wear 501's so pretty excited to not only be able to, but be at that size. I was showing a female friend that I have dropped a little over a pant size in the last month or so and she kept saying to not lose any more. She is someone I trust and would be honest with me. While I haven't jumped on a scale in a bit, I'm sure I'm around 185. At 5'10" that still seems high. And not like I'm at zero fat or anything. I still have a gut and my thighs and ass seem big. Thankfully my "man-boobs" are under control!!

And now that I'm comfortable in 34" I'll go buy a couple more and that will keep me motivated to keep going/keep it off.
Old 07-08-11, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well got home after a month out of town and jumped on scale...and....

I'm at 180!

That is 4-5 lbs lower than my lowest...and puts me at -93 TOTAL!!! Woot!!!

Yup, within in range of that -100 mark....I'm going for it!!

Most 34" pants are a little big right at the waist. So I'm not going to buy to much. Getting down to 173 or so, might just drop me a size. And in almost every shirt I'm a medium. And really need a tailored in dress shirts....

I'm pretty excited...and really haven't been working on it that hard. I've dropped a solid 7-8 lbs in a month.
Old 07-09-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Congratulations!
Old 07-10-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ran in the Too Hot to Handle 5k this morning. I held back a bit worried about the heat, but really wasn't that bad. Only about 90. Yea, humidity was up, but surprisingly, there was a lot shade. Only ran dead on into the sun for about 3/4-1 mile...

Was a big, well organized, fun race. First time they had pizza. I skipped that and stuck to the better stuff. They had iced down towels which were just awesome. Lots of water of course. Didn't stay for beer, but had a good time.
Old 07-10-11, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Congrats!

I'm down 21lb. I'm hoping to lose another 4 by the end of the month. I need to work out more, as most of this is from changing my nutrition plan.
Old 07-11-11, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a hard time losing weight at home. It is a lot easier when I'm on the road. But going to really focus this week. Just need to stay away from daughters awesome cookies....
Old 07-12-11, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally hit my goal weight of 174 a few days ago. I'm 5'10", so that puts me [just barely] in the normal BMI category. I tend to have a really hard time losing weight. Usually when I want to lose weight I just work out more and end up putting on muscle. I feel good at this weight, though. I'm definitely pretty "solid" at this point.
Old 07-12-11, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I'm doing the September race in Tennessee. It should be fun. I've heard good things.

And it is timed, and you get a standing based on time/age group.
Old 07-12-11, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Since I've gotten more into running in 5k races, it is interesting the differences in cities. Here in Dallas there must be a 15-20 races a weekend. However, working outside of Pittsburgh there are very few. I've run in two there, but hard to find much. Philli has more, but to far of a drive.

I'm a little disappointed I haven't really increased my speed. But I'm losing weight, feeling good and having fun, so I'm not dwelling on it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.