Reload this Page >

Your Biggest Disappointments of 2010?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 12-30-10, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

What disappointed you the most in 2010? It can be any category, movies, books, video games, politics, personal experiences, sports etc… Here are mine:

Lost Finale

This one really hurt. I was a huge Lost fan, and felt it was one of the most greatest pieces of creativity ever on screen. Up until the last few moments, I wanted to still believe that the writers were geniuses and crafted an elaborate mosaic. I wanted to believe that finally all the puzzle pieces would fit together.
Instead, the writers basically told us that all the mysteries didn’t matter one bit. They left the loyal viewers with a bagful of unanswered questions and the few answers that just didn’t satisfy. The magic cave and light of life holding evil back with a freaking rock. It did feel like a Saturday morning cartoon or cheesy episode of Land of the Lost. It didn’t help that the show constantly kept teasing “answers are coming” while throwing more questions on the bonfire.
I think Lost will briefly be remembered as a water cooler show with no new fan base in the future. The fact that the dvds are now selling below the $20 buck mark means people aren’t buying it.

Dallas Cowboys
After 2009 season, it felt like my team was on the way back to the Super Bowl. Instead, the Cowboys walked off the field with some of the most embarrassing games in franchise history. In retrospect, it is laughable that this pathetic team had Super Bowl hopes at the beginning of the season. Saturday night’s game is just more evidence. A penalty for removing your helmet in celebration. A missed extra point after the TD that would have tied the game. Someone needs an ass chewing for that crap.

Alpha Protocol (video game)

I was so psyched for this game. I love branching dialogue and multiple choices/consequences in games, and the idea of a RPG spy thriller was very appealing. After two years of delays and waiting, the final product was a buggy butt ugly snore fest with monotone voice acting. It didn’t matter which dialogue choice I made, the story still came off bland. I tried hard to like this one, but gave up half way.

Shutter Island

This film was way over-hyped. Seriously, if it had been any other director at the helm of this film, the critics would have ripped it apart. The storyline was so clichéd and no big surprise. No big payoff to the mystery. It is along the lines of having the main character wake up and everything was just a dream. I had felt that ripped off as a viewer since Identity.

Last edited by dvdjunkie32; 12-30-10 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-30-10, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Your Biggest Disappointments of 2010?

I'm gonna guess you're a glass is half empty kinda person, amiright?
Old 12-30-10, 08:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X View Post
I'm gonna guess you're a glass is half empty kinda person, amiright?
Well my favorite Sesame Street character as a kid was Oscar.
Old 12-30-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Well my favorite Sesame Street character as a kid was Oscar.
Ha, nice. 2010 wasn't bad for me. Off the top of my head, my biggest disappointment was Iron Man 2, which wasn't even that bad. So all in all, not too shabby...
Old 12-30-10, 09:14 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 354 Likes on 215 Posts

Oooh, is this the Festivus thread?
Old 12-30-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 149 Likes on 121 Posts

2010 started off great for me. I had a good job, my wife was pregnant and I had a nice apartment. As I sit now, should probably throw myself off a bridge.
Old 12-30-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The failure of the Dream Act.
Old 12-30-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
2010 started off great for me. I had a good job, my wife was pregnant and I had a nice apartment. As I sit now, should probably throw myself off a bridge.
are you a deadman?
Old 12-30-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

no I am still alive so I guess that should be my biggest non disappointment of 2010.
Old 12-30-10, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ohhh, dish dish dish!
Old 12-30-10, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if you'd call it a disappointment since we saw it coming, but having to put my dog down was certainly the low point of 2010 for me.
Old 12-30-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X View Post
Ohhh, dish dish dish!

Laid off in May, wife lost pregnancy, and had to move from 2bdrm 2bth 1500 sqft apartment to an in law apartment below my parents. A couple of other bonuses
my uncle passed away, my in laws are having numerous health issues, my health is declining(although I am taking steps to help myself), had to put my wifes dog down, I am being sued by Discover(because my lawyer and debt management are idiots) and to top it all off my computer chair broke the other night. but hey things could always be worse right?

Last edited by Deadman31; 12-30-10 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-30-10, 11:33 AM

The biggest was probably having to give up a months rent in order to move to a new place that we really like. Not that bad considering some of the crap years I've had in the past.
Old 12-30-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Laid off in May, wife lost pregnancy, and had to move from 2bdrm 2bth 1500 sqft apartment to an in law apartment below my parents. A couple of other bonuses
my uncle passed away, my in laws are having numerous health issues, my health is declining(although I am taking steps to help myself), had to put my wifes dog down, I am being sued by Discover(because my lawyer and debt management are idiots) and to top it all off my computer chair broke the other night. but hey things could always be worse right?

Sorry man, hang in there. Hopefully 2011 treats you better.
Old 12-30-10, 11:39 AM
Banned

The economy, and the continual spin put on it by The Man.
Old 12-30-10, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Dallas Cowboys
After 2009 season, it felt like my team was on the way back to the Super Bowl. Instead, the Cowboys walked off the field with some of the most embarrassing games in franchise history. In retrospect, it is laughable that this pathetic team had Super Bowl hopes at the beginning of the season. Saturday night’s game is just more evidence. A penalty for removing your helmet in celebration. A missed extra point after the TD that would have tied the game. Someone needs an ass chewing for that crap.
That Christmas game was wonderful! I am from Dallas and used to be a big Cowboys fan but as we both know, as long as Jerry Jones owns the team, they are pretty much screwed. Dallas is now a team that I love to hate and its 100% because of Jerry Jones.
Old 12-30-10, 12:13 PM
Banned

Tron Legacy's box office.

I guess my life's alright. :P
Old 12-30-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dude, start a thread next year after things settle down for you and let us know what sort of help you need. Maybe a DVDTalker out there might be able to point you towards a new job or help out with legal advice or something. Don't forget we are a resource!
Old 12-30-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't get the job I was aiming for at work. Taking the long perspective, it's not really that big a deal as I got a nice bonus and raise this year and I can start angling for other positions...

Pop culturally speaking, Del Toro dropping out of the Hobbit kinda sucked. Has any film that's such a guaranteed goldmine ever been in development hell for as long as the Hobbit? Oh well, it looks like things are back on track.
Old 12-30-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the perfect time to start hard drugs.
Old 12-30-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely losing a pregnancy this year pretty much put a huge damper on the end of this year and the holidays... 2011 just by proxy will be better. Luckily Im a pretty positive person but some things even turn me into a bitter fuck at times.
Old 12-30-10, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
The failure of the Dream Act.
Whoa! Can't believe I hadn't even heard of that. I'd have given it 100% of my support; it sounds very good for the U.S., as well as the aliens it could've been naturalizing.

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
This is the perfect time to start hard drugs.
Or soft ones.
Old 12-30-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear about your computer chair.
Old 12-30-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I missed seeing Agalloch play in L.A. last week because they changed venues and the promoter never told those who bought tickets for the original location. Last time they played here was 2003!
Old 12-30-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I know I hate when Agolloch(?) doesn't play locally.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.