Question about a restaurant idea

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 12-27-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I've always wanted to own my own pizza place, and had a thought of tieing it in with my love for movies. It wouldn't be a movie rental place in addition to it being a restaurant, it would just be a place for people to come in and watch a movie while they eat, probably on a very large screen TV or a projector. Without going into too many details, I just want to make a large home theater type of setting and atmosphere, and have a nightly feature that we could announce ahead of time so people can plan to come in and eat.

Here's the main question: What is the legality of showing a movie that's technically not in a private home setting, but in a setting that you own yourself? There wouldn't be a charge for watching the movie, just for food and drink, but you could say that the idea of coming in to watch a movie is what would draw people in, making yourself a profit. What can you get away with?
Old 12-27-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Question about a restaurant idea

There is a place here called Rocky Roccoco's. They have a gaming area for the kids,(much like chucky cheeses) and a "theater room" with seating and tables so you can watch the movie and eat pizza. I doubt they pay royalties to whomever to show the movies. But I don't know the legal aspect of it.
Old 12-27-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have the people make their own pizza!

You give them the dough, they smash it, they pound it, they fling it in the air; and then they get to put on their sauce and they get to sprinkle their cheese, and then they slide it into the oven.

I'm tellin ya, people, they really want to make their own pizza pie.
Old 12-27-10, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only problem I would see is customer turns. Average seating time is one hour for a meal. You'll be taking up at least 90 mins if they stay for the whole film.
Limited seating would mean less tickets (receipts) and less tips if you have waiters/waitresses.

Oh and name it "Ray's Pizza"
Old 12-27-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A Pizza Hut co-located with a RedBox would eat your lunch (heh).

You would need to license the movie for a public performance just like a movie theater does. Obtaining the movie on a shiny disc vs in film cans makes no difference to Hollywood.
Old 12-27-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DarthVong View Post
Only problem I would see is customer turns. Average seating time is one hour for a meal. You'll be taking up at least 90 mins if they stay for the whole film.
Limited seating would mean less tickets (receipts) and less tips if you have waiters/waitresses.

Oh and name it "Ray's Pizza"
Those are good points. I doubt that I would take reservations or anything. The movie would just start at a certain time, and whoever happens to be there would see it. They could obviously leave if they wanted to during the movie, and someone else could come in and sit down. But if they do stay for the whole movie, that does take up seating.
Old 12-27-10, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
A Pizza Hut co-located with a RedBox would eat your lunch (heh).
Well, during the day I would probably just have smaller TVs on the sides for people to watch cable or something. The evening movie would be the draw.

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
You would need to license the movie for a public performance just like a movie theater does. Obtaining the movie on a shiny disc vs in film cans makes no difference to Hollywood.
I suppose licensing costs out the ass, too. These are the questions.
Old 12-27-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by adrenaline78 View Post
There is a place here called Rocky Roccoco's. They have a gaming area for the kids,(much like chucky cheeses) and a "theater room" with seating and tables so you can watch the movie and eat pizza. I doubt they pay royalties to whomever to show the movies. But I don't know the legal aspect of it.
Our Rocky doesn't have any of that. We do have a theater here that serves food including pizza, beer and I think liquor as well. It gets movies after they play in another theater so it's only 5 bucks and the theater itself is very cool.
Old 12-27-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm sure the licenses are different for what you want to do, compared to something like a movie-in-the-park type of setting. I think turnover would be poor, resulting in you losing money due to the licensing costs.

I would play creative-commons licensed shorts and movies, that might get you around the licensing problem, especially if you are charging for the pizza, but not the movie. The Roku box has several channels dedicated to CC content.
Old 12-27-10, 08:17 PM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm not sure of how good this of a business idea this is (see post #4), but I sure would eat there depending on the movies being shown.
Old 12-27-10, 08:24 PM

Are you planning on showing only G rated movies? Just wondering since it sounds like families might randomly be at the restaurant during the movie and you never know who will complain about the slightest things...
Old 12-27-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The initial idea was to show a different genre of movie each night, and make Friday night R-rated night and Saturday would be kids' night. Just ideas, though.
Old 12-27-10, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

Sounds like a neat idea. Not sure if it'd be profitable. But you always have to stay positive, and devote your money to the job, so you don't have to worry too much about your personal finances.

Spend a few hundred bucks and consult a copyright lawyer. If you don't get written approval, I'm sure you're in the wrong. Well, if anyone were to ever actually enforce it. I have NO idea how the license would work. It may be reasonable (a few thousand per movie, or a royalty). Or it could be outrageous. It's possible that you would deal with a third party, or maybe the distributor itself. I don't know how negotiable these sorts of terms are, either.

If you're serious about doing this, you really just need to look up a local lawyer that specializes in copyright law.
Old 12-27-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seems like Wisconsin knows what they're doing, as this theater allows for eating while watching a film. They have couches, recliners, etc, or at least they did a few years back:

http://www.timescinema.com/info.php?venue=rosebud
Old 12-27-10, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Just a thought, and I know nothing about this. See what it costs to get Dish or Directv at a commercial location and see if you can get a package with Turner classic movies, or HBO, or anything else. Then make sure you get a dvr and record the things you want to show. Dish even allows you to get an external HD, so you have lots of room. Then you are paying commercial rates to show things at a commercial location.

Just a thought.
Old 12-27-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk God

http://commercial.dishnetwork.com/pr...=HD%20Platinum

It does have MGM HD, HDNet movies, Sony Movie Channel, HD Theater, HD Net, and Universal HD. And it is a package for bars and restaurants.
Old 12-27-10, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk God

http://commercial.dishnetwork.com/pr...ality+Ultimate

Apparently this is the main programming and the post above is the HD package at $10 extra. The main package is $150 a month. But a good dvr and an external drive might be a great way to go. And if you want to show sports for some special events, etc. you have the option.
Old 12-27-10, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Suggested first movie: Pink Flamingos.

Years ago, there was a place near me that used to do a big event for new episodes of the Sopranos. HBO shut them down (the events, not the whole restaurant).
Old 12-27-10, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Suggested first movie: Pink Flamingos.
Maybe pair it with Salo for a smashing double-feature.
Old 12-27-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the real problem would be all the talking and noise going on during the movie. Most people who want to watch a movie don't want needless distractions.
Old 12-27-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The most dangerous species of (resturant) owner, however - a true menace to himself and others - is the one who gets into the business for love. Love for the song stylings of Geroge Gershwin (always wanted a place where he could present the cabaret music he adores), love for the regional cuisine of rural Mexico (and it'll be authentic, too! No frozen margaritas!), love of eighteenth-century French antiques (I need a restaurant so people can see them, see what good taste I have!), love for that great Bogie film he has all that memorabilia from. These poor fools are the chum of the resturant biz, ground up and eaten before most people even know they were around. Other operators feed on these creatures, lying in wait for them to fold so they can take over their leases, buy their equipment, hire away their help. Purveyors see these guys coming, rarely extending more than a week's credit from the outset, or demanding bill-to-bill payment.

Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential
Old 12-27-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any restaurant where people stay for more than 20 minutes needs to be fairly expensive or needs a gimmick to keep people ordering high margin items
Old 12-27-10, 10:13 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Call these guys up and see how it works...

http://www.foreigncinema.com/about/
Old 12-27-10, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I agree with others....you couldn't charge enough for pizza for them to sit there for more than a few minutes. And many people take pizza "to go".

Your two biggest expenses are;

1.) People
2.) Floor space

And having people hang around for 90 minutes (or even 45-60 to watch a bit), means you will need a lot of both. People to serve them and hope they keep ordering especially beer, and lots of space to hold more people.

I think you would be better off pairing up with Redbox, or some other rental. And do a lot of packages like Large pizza, two litter bottle of Coke and a two night movie rental. The great thing about the movie rental is you got them coming back to return it. Heck, throw in a small, token coupon like 10% off when additional purchase when you return the movie.

My daughter got her first job in the summer for a "new" pizza place down the road. He took the Subway/Chipolte idea and took it pizza. They only offer Pizza, Calzonne or salad. And 3-4 types of each but like Subway, you can pick anything you want on it. They have a high speed belt driven cooker that cooks the pizza in 4 minutes.

He did is smart. Simple set up. Low rent, but even with that, and no wait staff, still a lot of expenses. Close to 50% of his business is take out.
Old 12-27-10, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
I think the real problem would be all the talking and noise going on during the movie. Most people who want to watch a movie don't want needless distractions.
I thought about this aspect, and while I would probably remind people to try and keep it down during the movie, I think most people who come into this kind of atmosphere would understand that it's not going to be completely quiet.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.