DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/583680-official-great-beer-thread-part-2%3B-same-great-taste-but-time-more-hops.html)

Lateralus 12-21-10 09:35 AM

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Tried over the weekend:

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale B+

Widmer Brothers Brrrrrr F -- Tastes like an evergreen tree!

Droptop Amber O B

Bells Christmas B

Founders Breakfast Stout A

Troegs Java Head A

VinVega 12-21-10 09:36 AM

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

I like the thread title. :D:up:

steebo777 12-21-10 10:55 AM

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Excellent title!

If anyone is free in SE Michigan today (12.21) or tomorrow (12.22), Kuhnhenn's Brewing Company is doing their Winter Solstice all day both days. Always a blast!

Numanoid 12-21-10 01:41 PM

More hops? Count me out. :yack:

Hiro11 12-21-10 04:35 PM

Now serving:
Bear Republic Racer 5
Left Hand Fade to Black

statcat 12-21-10 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid (Post 10555082)
More hops? Count me out. :yack:

haha feel the same way

Liver&Onions 12-21-10 04:41 PM

So - amongst the brewers here...anyone have a good recipe they use or have developed? My keg runneth dry, and while i might want to continue tweaking my current (tasty) NWPA, i'm always open for more :)

Jackskeleton 12-22-10 03:55 AM

I'm currently drinking the '10 Double Bastard. Like it a lot more than the Lucky Bastard that I cracked opened earlier. But that's to be expected since.. well, I hear it's just a melding of the brews.

Picked up a Port Brewery Santa's little helper. Though I'll probably drink that tomorrow.

Thunderball 12-22-10 04:06 AM

I managed to snag 4 bottles of Victory's limited run of Dark Intrigue.

Quite delicious.

I guess the only problem I have with it, is a 'me' problem, because I've had some of the BEST Bourbon aged beers in Kentucky Breakfast Stout from Founders, Bourbon County from Goose Island, and on and on...

Bourbon Barrel Aged Storm King seemed like an amazing idea, and in reality, it tastes good. It just isn't up to THOSE standards. I'm going to let the other bottles sit for a bit, and have one a year or so, and let them just age and see where it takes them.

Xander 12-22-10 08:55 AM

Anyone else tried the Schell's 2010 Snowstorm yet? Had some last night and it was pretty damn tasty! :)

grrr 12-22-10 09:51 AM

I'm taking a couple of hours off tomorrow to scout the local liquor stores for holiday porters & stouts to go with my homemade chowder. Santa's Butt is high on that list for novelty's sake, but I'd love other suggestions from my fellow left-coast beer enthusiasts.

Oh, and I'm cracking open a batch of my homemade gingerbread stout (bottled in July). I'll let everyone know how that goes. :)

Decadance 12-22-10 04:21 PM

I got two boxes of beer in today that got me close to tearing up.

1 6er of Troegs Scratch 37
1 6er of Troegs Scratch 38
2 Terrapin Wake N Bake
1 Terrapin Moo Hoo
1 Lancaster Winter Warmer
1 Stoudt's Winter Ale
1 East End Homewood Reserve (1 Quart Bottle)
1 White Birch Barrel Aged Tripel
1 Victory Dark Intrigue
1 Troegs Splinter Black

I love my trading partner.

Gilgamesh1082 12-22-10 05:28 PM

Finally cracked open one of these last night:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2522/...444f08ce60.jpg

Much better after having aged 6 months. Its ALL smokiness and peat with the booziness pretty much gone. When my friend got one, we opened it about a week after it arrived and you could smell the alcohol the moment it was opened. 6 months of aging does wonders for it. Well worth the premium I paid for it.

gryffinmaster 12-22-10 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gilgamesh1082 (Post 10557015)

Much better after having aged 6 months. Its ALL smokiness and peat with the booziness pretty much gone. When my friend got one, we opened it about a week after it arrived and you could smell the alcohol the moment it was opened. 6 months of aging does wonders for it. Well worth the premium I paid for it.

Talk about wanting to try a beer just based on the name. :lol:

In case any of you are like me and don't know anything about the brew, here's the article I read:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...gest-beer.html

Brewery launches Tactical Nuclear Penguin, 'world's strongest' beer

A Scottish brewery, with a history of controversy, claims to have made the world's strongest beer.

The drink, named "Tactical Nuclear Penguin" is so strong that it should be served in small measures usually reserved for spirits.

Its maker, BrewDog brewers of Fraserburgh described the 32 per cent proof tipple as its "most audacious and ambitious project to date".

But its launch comes amid a high profile debate in Scotland about an epidemic of alcoholism in the country. The devolved SNP administration is considering introducing minimum pricing in an attempt to curb problem drinking.

BrewDog, which describes itself as making "progressive, craft beers" was previously responsible for an 18.2pc drink called Tokyo which it claimed had been "banned" by the Portman Group, the industry body which runs a voluntary code of conduct.

It also made a low alcohol brew which it mockingly name "Nanny State".

Hiro11 12-22-10 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gilgamesh1082 (Post 10557015)

That shit's hard to find in the States.

tofferman 12-22-10 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus (Post 10554668)
Tried over the weekend:

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale B+

Widmer Brothers Brrrrrr F -- Tastes like an evergreen tree!

Droptop Amber O B

Bells Christmas B

Founders Breakfast Stout A

Troegs Java Head A

Widmer Brothers Brrr an 'F'? I look forward to that beer's release every year and find it one of the best mass-produced winter warmers available in the Pacific Northwest. I also recommend Deschutes Brewery's Jubelale.

The Beer Advocate gave it a B+: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/8/45454

:beer2:

Numanoid 12-22-10 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus (Post 10554668)
F -- Tastes like an evergreen tree!

You're the one that wanted more hops.

Gilgamesh1082 12-23-10 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 10557145)
That shit's hard to find in the States.

I've found a few places that sell it.....for like $170 and Sink The Bismarck for around $200. I ordered mine off their website and they shipped it to me. Both TNP and StB for $120.

Lateralus 12-23-10 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by tofferman (Post 10557227)
Widmer Brothers Brrr an 'F'? I look forward to that beer's release every year and find it one of the best mass-produced winter warmers available in the Pacific Northwest. I also recommend Deschutes Brewery's Jubelale.

The Beer Advocate gave it a B+: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/8/45454

:beer2:

I have to admit while drinking it I felt like I was walking through the wind blown snowy mountains just as I happend to stop and take a bite of an Evergreen tree and ruin the mood. No sir, I did not like it.

I'm usually in agreement with Beer Advocate but not this time, Brrr reminded me of Colt 45's "Cool Colt" which I did not like either. Somebody must have liked it as the keg got kicked rather quickly. Maybe if I see it again next year I will try it again and see if I was wrong.

Lateralus 12-23-10 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid (Post 10557229)
You're the one that wanted more hops.

I don't like hops eiether but I had to think of a snappy title rather quickly. I saw that VinVega closed the first thread and I knew it was an honor to start "Part 2" of the thread and I had to take it before somebody else did.

I have a good title saved up for "Part 3" if I ever have the opportunity to start that! :lol:

tbone 12-23-10 06:46 PM

Just picked up this:

http://www.washingtonlife.com/wordpr...m-bottle1.jpg0

Sam Adam's Infinium. Anyone try it yet? Gonna crack it open this weekend.

Edit: Guess I'm retarded cause I can't pic to display.

Pointyskull 12-23-10 07:22 PM

Enjoyed a 2010 Darklord the other night from my secret stash.
Tasty awesomeness that has aged very well since April...

stevevt 12-23-10 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by tbone (Post 10558329)

You just have to in order for it to work.

statcat 12-23-10 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by tbone (Post 10558329)
Just picked up this:

http://www.washingtonlife.com/wordpr...m-bottle1.jpg0

Sam Adam's Infinium. Anyone try it yet? Gonna crack it open this weekend.

no because I can't find it and it's too expensive anyway but I'm sure it's good if Weihenstephan helped

shizawn 12-23-10 08:11 PM

Currently enjoying a glass of Schneider Weisse.