Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 04-04-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Well sure, a good craft beer in a can is going to be better than a macrobrew in a can. But still, draft is always going to better than bottled, and bottled is always going to be better than canned. I doubt any respected brewer would argue differently (and as pointed out in the article, Bell's is doing it simply to get sport venue sales, where bottles are not allowed).
Old 04-04-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

^
anyone who is a big Guinness fan would probably notice that Guinness in a can is closer to Draft than the bottled version.

I LOVE Guinness but simply do not want it in a bottle because it's too 'carbonated'. The can is much closer in taste and texture to Draft.
Old 04-04-11, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone who is a big Guinness fan wouldn't be drinking it out of either a can or bottle.
Old 04-04-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Well sure, a good craft beer in a can is going to be better than a macrobrew in a can. But still, draft is always going to better than bottled, and bottled is always going to be better than canned. I doubt any respected brewer would argue differently (and as pointed out in the article, Bell's is doing it simply to get sport venue sales, where bottles are not allowed).
Respected brewers and beer authorities have indeed said cans > bottles. No chance of light penetration and less oxidation = a better product. I wouldn't blanket statement draft is going to be better either. Some beers greatly benefit from bottle conditioning instead of force carbonating. You can also throw cask ale into the mix as well, or nitro like draft Guinness. Some things work better on tap I agree, but not everything.
Old 04-04-11, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What he said, unless you're bottle conditioning, I think cans>bottles. Stackable, lighter, easier to carry, light proof etc, etc.

Also had some <b>Ommegang Three Philosophers</b> last night and some <b>Unibroue Don de Dieu</b> tonight. Both awesome.

Last edited by Hiro11; 04-05-11 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-04-11, 10:30 PM

Anyone who is a big Guinness fan wouldn't be drinking it out of either a can or bottle.
Well I try not to, but I simply do not drink enough to warrant a Keg. Dubliners will tell you if your forced to drink it out of a bottle or can, do the can because the bottle is a waste of time, just doesn't work out well.

I work for a company in Dublin and sometimes end up over there, and I must say having a Guinness in Dublin...tasty.
Old 04-05-11, 01:09 AM

Completely and utterly wrong. See Oskar Blues Brewery.
Old 04-05-11, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And Surly.
Old 04-05-11, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, I'm all for breweries switching to cans, for the reasons mentioned above. I would love to have Oberon in cans in the summer!
Old 04-05-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm....good info in this thread. I'm a home brewer, and of course use bottles for ease and for bottle conditioning. But, I just assumed bottles for commercial beer were superior to cans. I thought it was something about the metal adding off-flavors to the beer, but I guess with modern cans that's not the case.
Old 04-05-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Yeah, I'm all for breweries switching to cans, for the reasons mentioned above. I would love to have Oberon in cans in the summer!
You will by next summer!
Old 04-05-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Hmmm....good info in this thread. I'm a home brewer, and of course use bottles for ease and for bottle conditioning. But, I just assumed bottles for commercial beer were superior to cans. I thought it was something about the metal adding off-flavors to the beer, but I guess with modern cans that's not the case.
Go buy a six pack of Ska's Modus Hoperandi, they're definitely got canning technology down these days.
Old 04-05-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7 View Post
^
anyone who is a big Guinness fan would probably notice that Guinness in a can is closer to Draft than the bottled version.

I LOVE Guinness but simply do not want it in a bottle because it's too 'carbonated'. The can is much closer in taste and texture to Draft.
I did not know that, I've always bought the bottled version. Your supposed to drink straight from the bottle but I pour it a little at a time into a glass so I don't miss out on the nitrogen. Will be trying the canned version next.

Last edited by covenant; 04-05-11 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-05-11, 01:32 PM

^ if you like Guinness as it should be 'thicker' then can is the only way to go.

I prefer the texture and taste of the can by 100% to the bottle. Just can't stand bottles of it.
Old 04-05-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Reading the last few posts, you'd think that my local Binny's craft beer section would be nothing but cans, you know because it's known to be so much better. I'm bewildered as to why that isn't the case. And you think Bell's would have stated they're going to cans to provide the improved quality that everyone knows is what you get with a can, not use some lame-ass utilitarian reason like they want to sell it in places that don't allow bottles.
Old 04-05-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And yeah, Guinness from the bottle is pretty pointless. But with so many absolutely wonderful bottled stouts out there, I don't bother with drinking Guinness at home at all.
Old 04-05-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Reading the last few posts, you'd think that my local Binny's craft beer section would be nothing but cans, you know because it's known to be so much better. I'm bewildered as to why that isn't the case. And you think Bell's would have stated they're going to cans to provide the improved quality that everyone knows is what you get with a can, not use some lame-ass utilitarian reason like they want to sell it in places that don't allow bottles.
There are several reasons why bottles are more prevalent right now with regards to craft beers. The main deterrent for a lot of brewers is the high costs of installing a canning line and buying the cans in bulk. Also, there are still many people like yourself that assume a canned beer is an inferior product.

Just out of curiosity, have you had any of the following:
Dales Pale Ale
Ten Fidy
Sly Fox Pikesland Pilsner
Surly Furious
21st Amendment IPA

They are all highly regarded amongst the craft beer community and are all canned.

Last edited by Obey The D; 04-05-11 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-05-11, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't deny that just because a beer is in a can that it can't be good. I do question whether that the canned beer would be better than bottled or draft, and could only be persuaded by a blind taste-test, I suppose. And of course, there are always exceptions to every rule. But I do have trouble believing that an entire industry, one which is based on the very foundation of offering excellence, mind you, has been built up on the faulty grounds of using an inferior packaging method simply because people assume it's better that way.

All that said, I really don't know what I'm talking about, as usual.

About the only thing I can absolutely say for sure is that a good beer, whether from tap, can or bottle, needs to be drank from a glass. And preferably the correct glass, and more preferably a glass with that brewer's name on it.

Last edited by Numanoid; 04-05-11 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-05-11, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't deny that just because a beer is in a can that it can't be good. I do question whether that the canned beer would be better than bottled or draft, and could only be persuaded by a blind taste-test, I suppose. And of course, there are always exceptions to every rule. But I do have trouble believing that an entire industry, one which is based on the very foundation of offering excellence, mind you, has been built up on the faulty grounds of using an inferior packaging method simply because people assume it's better that way.
Glass is not inferior to cans (read new style cans). And cans are not inferior to glass.

And, some beer is better bottled than on tap. Look to Gueze and American Wild Ales. Forcing carbonation into those beers is sacrilegious. It is entirely dependent on style. Some styles are better on firken, some are better on tap, some are better bottled or canned. Remember, when you make absolute statements, you are always wrong.
Old 04-05-11, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't deny that just because a beer is in a can that it can't be good. I do question whether that the canned beer would be better than bottled or draft, and could only be persuaded by a blind taste-test, I suppose.
It doesn't necessarily taste better, but cans are much more compact and easier to deal with. Also, highly light sensitive beers (like IPA) benefit from canning.

But I do have trouble believing that an entire industry, one which is based on the very foundation of offering excellence, mind you, has been built up on the faulty grounds of using an inferior packaging method simply because people assume it's better that way.
Why not? the world is rife with examples like this. Example: many studies have shown that prop-driven planes are much more efficient and cost effective and not noticiably slower for short flights, yet airlines continue to fly jets. People think jets are safer.

About the only thing I can absolutely say for sure is that a good beer, whether from tap, can or bottle, needs to be drank from a glass. And preferably the correct glass, and more preferably a glass with that brewer's name on it.
Defninitely agree.
Old 04-05-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
And, some beer is better bottled than on tap. Look to Gueze and American Wild Ales.
Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Also, highly light sensitive beers (like IPA) benefit from canning.
See, I'm out of my element here because I don't drink beer that I can see through.
Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Remember, when you make absolute statements, you are always wrong.
I get it!
Old 04-05-11, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I like cans because it makes my recycle bin lighter.

It's getting warm out, can someone recommend me some lighter (not "lite") beers? Dark beers are great, but I'm looking for something that goes well with yard work.
Old 04-05-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Reading the last few posts, you'd think that my local Binny's craft beer section would be nothing but cans, you know because it's known to be so much better.
Canning in the craft beer world is very new. Lately the bigger breweries that can afford it are getting in to cans (Bells, New Belgium, Avery, Ska, Boulder, Breckenridge, Brewdog, Magic Hat, Big Sky, Brooklyn, etc.). Brands like Surly and Oskar Blues really paved the way to make the can acceptable. As others have said, it is also lighter, cools down faster, stackable, able to go more places, Keeps light out, less chance of oxidation, etc. I'm not saying bottles are going to go away, but you will definitely be seeing more and more cans from both startup breweries and from the bigger guys.
Old 04-06-11, 07:24 AM

[QUOTE=mndtrp;10711934
It's getting warm out, can someone recommend me some lighter (not "lite") beers? Dark beers are great, but I'm looking for something that goes well with yard work.[/QUOTE]

Leine's Summer Shandy is great for yard work. And it came out in cans last year, and I must say my wife and I did enjoy the taste over the bottle version. Got cans early in spring and could only find bottles rest of year.
Old 04-06-11, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bell's Oberon. My favorite non-BMC summer beer. Really hope Bell's makes it part of their canning line next summer!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.