Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville"

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 08-10-20, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
We started getting the R.Shea stuff a few months ago down here in southwestern Ohio, and I agree...they are really knocking it out of the park in some cases. I'm in the minority of people who weren't blown away by the peanut butter marshmallow stout, but I thought the Full Containment caramel macchiato was something else (and will put you on your ass if you aren't careful), and I have a can of the coconut macaroon in the refrigerator as we speak.

It looks like they have done a handful of barrel aged experiments within the past year (Heaven Hill-aged Twitchy Bitch and Carbon Black, among others), which may have been taproom-only.
I'm guessing their BA stuff is taproom-only. (Probably Merriman Valley as my last few trips have been to the Main St. spot and I haven't seen any BA stuff.) My buddy and I have talked about heading down for an daylong/day+ trip (there are a ton of breweries in Akron at the moment) and just making the rounds. Also, you're right about the PB marshmallow one; I thought I'd be BLOWN away (at least from hearing the list of ingredients), but it probably is the least favorite of all their recent stout releases. Again, that said, it's a good beer, just not to the level of the rest.

So cool you're getting them down there; can't wait to hear what you think of the coconut macaroon one.
Old 09-11-20, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
So cool you're getting them down there; can't wait to hear what you think of the coconut macaroon one.
Whoops, forgot to reply to this one. I thought the finish on the R.Shea coconut macaroon was too bitter, but I loved the amount of coconut in it. Their Hot Mary and Hot Chocolate with Marshmallows (both made with habanero) just showed up here a few days ago, but I think I'm going to pass. The "peppered" versions of Westbrook's Mexican Cake have been my least favorite versions, and I expect it would be the same with these.

In other Ohio news, The Veil now ships directly to consumers here as of a couple of weeks ago. Minimum order is three 4-packs or bottles (or a mix of both), and shipping starts at almost $30 on minimum orders since they only offer "shipping options for transit time that are 2 days or less. We will not be offering any other shipping options in order to preserve the quality of our product and prevent extensive periods in warm temperatures." I can appreciate their reasoning, but I won't even consider it at that price.
Old 09-12-20, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Whoops, forgot to reply to this one. I thought the finish on the R.Shea coconut macaroon was too bitter, but I loved the amount of coconut in it. Their Hot Mary and Hot Chocolate with Marshmallows (both made with habanero) just showed up here a few days ago, but I think I'm going to pass. The "peppered" versions of Westbrook's Mexican Cake have been my least favorite versions, and I expect it would be the same with these.

In other Ohio news, The Veil now ships directly to consumers here as of a couple of weeks ago. Minimum order is three 4-packs or bottles (or a mix of both), and shipping starts at almost $30 on minimum orders since they only offer "shipping options for transit time that are 2 days or less. We will not be offering any other shipping options in order to preserve the quality of our product and prevent extensive periods in warm temperatures." I can appreciate their reasoning, but I won't even consider it at that price.
Interesting. I don't know that I recall a bitter finish, but it's not like we all have replicate palates, either. I just saw the Hot Chocolate Thursday night, but I didn't notice the pepper. (I did notice Hot Mary with habanero.) Yes, in general, I'm not a fan of "peppered" beer at all. Very few have been done to my liking, usually just too much heat. (Which as a hot foods fan, sometimes seems incongruous.)

I don't know that I'd pay that for Veil, but if The Answer started doing that, I'd seriously have to check myself (or start setting a little aside from each check specifically for this express purpose).

Recently had the most current "sour" release from Mortalis. It was very good, but I didn't seem to think it was worthy of all the gushing that I normally hear about them. That said, I don't think I knew I was supposed to roll the can to get all the fruit/flavors mixed in, so maybe that's the key and it's actually better than what I had. Also had my first Angry Chair beer; I'm not sure I thought it was worth all the hype, though I don't know that it was one of their more stellar beers (although from the limited bit I knew about them, I figured "everything" from them was an incredible beer).