Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 05-09-20, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
How the mighty have fallen...

These were taken yesterday at Jungle Jimís here on the outskirts of Cincinnati. KBS was already gone by the time I made it out there this afternoon.
Holy crap! I don't know that I'd want THAT much of either one of them, but I think I know enough people that would love a 4-pk or more of CBS that purchasing that case would be a no-brainer. I can't believe a case of CBS for $60!
Old 05-11-20, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
Holy crap! I don't know that I'd want THAT much of either one of them, but I think I know enough people that would love a 4-pk or more of CBS that purchasing that case would be a no-brainer. I can't believe a case of CBS for $60!
They were selling them as individual 4-packs, and just put the unopened cases out on the floor as well.

Not pictured is the 4-pack of Founders Underground Mountain Brown for $7.99, which I passed on. I found $2.99 clearance bombers at another shop earlier this year, and I wasn't a huge fan of it regardless of the price.
Old 05-11-20, 11:40 PM

They were selling them as individual 4-packs, and just put the unopened cases out on the floor as well.

Not pictured is the 4-pack of Founders Underground Mountain Brown for $7.99, which I passed on. I found $2.99 clearance bombers at another shop earlier this year, and I wasn't a huge fan of it regardless of the price.
Even better, but I could see muling for a few folks if they wanted, whether getting a case or not.

That's too bad. I enjoyed Underground Mountain Brown. Not as much as Frangelic Mountain Brown, but still liked it.
Old 05-19-20, 11:44 PM

I don't know HOW widely they get around, but they're becoming much more available, at least at the higher end mix-6 places around here, are the Untitled Art beers. Many of their stouts are simply divine (PB, White Macadamia, Cookies and Cream, Hazelnut Imperial, etc, let alone BA versions), but I recently had their Blackberry Fruit Smoothie beer and was in awe. Such vivid flavor, both blackberry and the sweetness (milk sugar) with a hint of sour and a smoothie-like consistency. Just a very well done beer!

Old 05-21-20, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Untitled Art distributes in about 20 states now. I completely agree with you on their stouts (although the Wisconsin Stout and Dulce de Leche were huge disappointments), but their other stuff has been hit or miss lately. I have not grabbed any of the smoothies yet, but their recent attempts at sour IPAs and milkshake IPAs have tasted more like fruited sours (not a bad thing, just not what I was expecting).
Old 05-21-20, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Guys, if it's allowed in your state, I highly, HIGHLY recommend this "virtual beer festival".

For $40, they send you a box of 10 high quality craft-beers from micro-breweries (some are even full pints), along with tchotchkes, like beer-cozies, hats, stickers, etc.

So you get your package of beer delivered to you, and that's enough right there, but about a week after that is the online "festival", where they walk you through the beers, the breweries, there might even be live music. And the 10 beers is a lot for one person, so if you have someone to share the festival/beers with, even better!

They sell out pretty quick, I know people that did the first two, and they loved it, the third one is up now...

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-vir...?aff=ebdssbeac
The following users liked this post:
Decker (05-21-20)
Old 05-21-20, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 584 Likes on 345 Posts

Awesome, slop! I just texted a friend of mine who is a real beer connoisseur and we will be spitting this and doing the event. I can't drink 10 beers by myself - those days are long gone
For $20 each, this should be a fun evening.
Old 05-21-20, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Awesome, slop! I just texted a friend of mine who is a real beer connoisseur and we will be spitting this and doing the event. I can't drink 10 beers by myself - those days are long gone
For $20 each, this should be a fun evening.
Not available in my state. Very disappointed.
Old 05-21-20, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Not available in my state. Very disappointed.
It's a surprisingly small (and regional) list of states, considering how many places are adding online ordering and direct delivery with all of the shutdowns. My neighborhood brewery here in Cincinnati can now ship to eight states (including two on this list) and DC, and Ohioans can now get Equilibrium and others delivered right to their doors.
The following users liked this post:
Shamus McAnally (05-21-20)
Old 05-21-20, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A lot of states have some really weird, outdated liquor laws.
Old 05-21-20, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
A lot of states have some really weird, outdated liquor laws.
When I lived in Indiana, the nearest Costco was a full hour from my house. I liked to stock up on beer there. One Tuesday afternoon I went to Costco (Tues was my day off back then). I grabbed a case of beer. When I got to the checkout I was informed that I couldn't buy this case of warm beer because it was a Primary election day and the polls were still open for another hour. To this day I can't figure out what harm could be caused. Were they worried I might rush home, chill a beer, drink it quickly and then drunkenly...vote for the wrong guy or something?

They also have all sorts of other weird laws. The Pacers played a Christmas day game that I went to. They refused to sell beer in the Arena (and everywhere else) because it was Jesus' birthday, I guess. I wonder how something like that becomes law, even in a state with Mike Pence as Governor.
Old 05-21-20, 06:58 PM

It's a surprisingly small (and regional) list of states, considering how many places are adding online ordering and direct delivery with all of the shutdowns. My neighborhood brewery here in Cincinnati can now ship to eight states (including two on this list) and DC, and Ohioans can now get Equilibrium and others delivered right to their doors.
Didn't know about Equilibrium! However, I've already taken advantage of getting some mead sent to me. May be ordering from Listermann in a minute. My buddy in PA can get Tired Hands shipped to his door. This is a good time for beer fans (in a lot of places... sorry spainlinx0, and I don't know if you can or not, but you have Magnify in your state and if you can get THAT shipped to you, I definitely don't feel as bad for you. I haven't had much from them, but the very worst beer I had from them was better than average.) that can get stuff shipped to them.
Old 05-21-20, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
Didn't know about Equilibrium! However, I've already taken advantage of getting some mead sent to me. May be ordering from Listermann in a minute.
Equilibrium charges a flat $35 shipping for up to 3 cases, so it really only makes sense if you have several people going in on it, or want a lot of it. I went in on a large order with friends, and a mixed 4-pack still came to almost $25 total.

Listermann gets a lot of love in the craft groups around here, but I find most of their stuff lacking in some way. I absolutely loved the BA Peach Discrepancies from a few months ago, though.
Old 05-22-20, 11:16 AM

Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

I didn’t even bother looking at the list of unapproved states. Alabama is pretty much always on such lists. I’m still in shock that I legally have an order of full spectrum CBD tincture on the way that has 3% THC, or whatever the legal amount is now. It surely would never have been possible without a federal law allowing it.
Old 06-06-20, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Guys, if it's allowed in your state, I highly, HIGHLY recommend this "virtual beer festival".

For $40, they send you a box of 10 high quality craft-beers from micro-breweries (some are even full pints), along with tchotchkes, like beer-cozies, hats, stickers, etc.

So you get your package of beer delivered to you, and that's enough right there, but about a week after that is the online "festival", where they walk you through the beers, the breweries, there might even be live music. And the 10 beers is a lot for one person, so if you have someone to share the festival/beers with, even better!

They sell out pretty quick, I know people that did the first two, and they loved it, the third one is up now...

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-vir...?aff=ebdssbeac
My beer fest arrived today :

I (or another adult) had to be home to sign for the package. If I do it again I am going to have it delivered to my office.
Old 06-08-20, 10:20 PM

I recently ordered some meads from Melovino in NJ. The only one I've cracked so far was the Bavarian Blueberry in cans, but pretty darned well done. Can't wait to try out the other bottles I picked.

Had an anniversary beer from Magnify (also, coincidentally, from NJ) the other night. Just a fan of their IPA work; this one was no different. I've had less than ten of them, but they seem to be putting out new IPAs left and right. (One really does begin to wonder, about the business, not just Magnify, how many different variations/flavors there can be. I guess it's like lottery combinations, though. Just vary the hop, adjuncts, different aspects of making it, and there really can be endless different types, even if some have a very minor difference.)
Old 07-05-20, 02:12 PM

Had a beer from The Answer; Rum Passionfruit Painkiller, that absolutely knocked my socks off! Tasted like a beach resort drink; rum/passionfruit/tropical fruit flavor, juice consistency, and totally poundable! (Well, I mean, you'd probably start to feel it, but it's so good, I'd keep slamming them back!)

Simply divine beer; I need to get down there; find a hookup!

Old 07-06-20, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I make a run to RVA annually and hit The Answer, those styles of beers are great, but I can't drink too many of them. Too sweet. A local place (Imprint) does the same style. The issue with "finding a hookup" is during the summer, I would never ship that style. They're notorious for exploding, the fruit continues to ferment.

Old 07-06-20, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A really good session beer from Ale Asylum up in Madison...

Old 08-04-20, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 08-05-20, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The mustard beer is allegedly not terrible, but I haven't seen it on shelves around here yet to try it for myself. We do have this extremely local concoction available, though...

Old 08-05-20, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

I've had Flying Dog's Old Bay beer. It was good, but I didn't get much Old Bay flavor. Maybe this is similar. I would give it a shot.