Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 07-11-19, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Great call! I don't usually like very dark beers but that was fucking delicious!
Little Sumpin Sumpin was also great. I'm very familiar with Lagonitas and bought a keg of their IPA for my 50th birthday party but have never had that one before. Will be getting that one with lunch because they have bottles of it in the bar upstairs in the buffet area.

I'm working on the Dogfish 90 now. It's nice but a little too strong for me to drink quickly. Will work on this pint for a while.
Will for sure buy at least one of those expensive ones, but trying to be a little frugal here as this vaycay is already costing a small fortune.

Keep those suggestions coming, this is awesome for me Thanks again guys.
is it “per drink”? Or “per drink order per person”? That Chimay is roughly a 25oz bottle. No way that is considered a single drink. If you bought an entire bottle of Champaign would that be “one drink”?

And I just paid $25.00 for a 12oz Avery Tweek to split with a friend last night. Soooo....that Belgium is a good price.
Old 07-11-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

I agree w/your 90 discussion. Tho I don’t “hate it”. And use to be the only “good beer” at nice steak places. But lots of peeps (IMO) have passed them. Least in the IPA field. Course that is some debate/discussion on why they partnered up with another brewery.
I love Dogfish, but I'm not a huge fan of the 60 or 90 minute IPA, which is what they are known for.

Give me some of that 120 minute, Midas Touch, Bitches Brew, Palo, and some of their weird stuff instead. I like a lot of the off the wall stuff they try. I wish they would release their Unencumbered Antelope that I had at their brewery. That was a tasty cucumber beer.

As an aside, I'm heading to Montreal for 4 days at the end of the month. I was planning to stop at the St. Ambroise and try their stuff. Anyone else have a better suggestion?
Old 07-11-19, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-11-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

is it “per drink”? Or “per drink order per person”? That Chimay is roughly a 25oz bottle. No way that is considered a single drink. If you bought an entire bottle of Champaign would that be “one drink”?

And I just paid $25.00 for a 12oz Avery Tweek to split with a friend last night. Soooo....that Belgium is a good price.
It's $15 per drink. Unlimited number of drinks but that is the per drink cap to keep people from taking the top shelf stuff for free, or taking bottles of wine.
Old 07-11-19, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I love Dogfish, but I'm not a huge fan of the 60 or 90 minute IPA, which is what they are known for.

Give me some of that 120 minute, Midas Touch, Bitches Brew, Palo, and some of their weird stuff instead. I like a lot of the off the wall stuff they try. I wish they would release their Unencumbered Antelope that I had at their brewery. That was a tasty cucumber beer.

As an aside, I'm heading to Montreal for 4 days at the end of the month. I was planning to stop at the St. Ambroise and try their stuff. Anyone else have a better suggestion?
I do like their World Wide Stout. And regret not going to the brewery when was working in the area (several years ago).
Old 07-11-19, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
It’s funny, I started talking to a very lovely young lady at the bar in WF. She was drinking beer and in the conversation turned that she hated IPA’s. I said “challenge accepted”.

I ordered her a Manhattan Project (newer local here in Dallas) 10 Nanoseconds. It’s an incredibly juicy milkshake IPA. And comes in in an incredibly drinkable 7% (if I remember).

She liked it! And I started explaining, hazy IPA’s and such.

I will agree the category of IPA is way to big. There are a lot of IPA I don’t like (super bitter for example). But love the crisp, clean floral ones.

Old 08-08-19, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hit up NOLA and Great Raft while working in Louisiana. Both good stops. But Great Raft is turning into a favorite of mine.
Old 08-09-19, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hit up NOLA and Great Raft while working in Louisiana. Both good stops. But Great Raft is turning into a favorite of mine.
I haven’t had anything bad from NOLA, but I haven’t had anything great, either. Parish and Urban South get most of my money when I’m down that way.
Old 08-09-19, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by printerati View Post

I haven’t had anything bad from NOLA, but I haven’t had anything great, either. Parish and Urban South get most of my money when I’m down that way.
Missed them. Will have to save them to Googlemaps for my next time there.

Next week doing a long long road trip. Looking forward to hitting Roughtail in Ok. Have never been. Depending on time, I’ll hit Coop (which have been too) and one down Brick Town. Then will see where I eventually land after that.
Old 08-11-19, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Missed them. Will have to save them to Googlemaps for my next time there.
Parish is over two hours west of New Orleans in Broussard (just past the Lafayette airport), but several of their bottles will be easy to find. As with a lot of breweries, their original core lineup is pretty weak, but their IPAs (anchored by Ghost in the Machine, which put them on the map nationwide) are on point. I know Ghost is distributed in Houston, but I don’t think they go beyond that for Texas.

Gnarly Barley in Hammond is a bit closer to New Orleans, but still out of the way. They are one of the fastest-growing breweries in the country and have been getting a lot of regional attention, but I haven’t been particularly impressed with them. Jucifer and the seasonal Korova peanut butter porter aren’t bad for the price, I suppose.
Old 08-11-19, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Went to a couple of micro-brewery taprooms in Torrance CA last night . Monkish Brewing and Smog City Brewing Co. We don't really have those industrial brewing spaces open to the public in Vegas. Thought it was pretty cool. Though it seemed weird that all the Monkish beers were cloudy. Made them all kind of taste the same
Old 08-12-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Went to a couple of micro-brewery taprooms in Torrance CA last night . Monkish Brewing and Smog City Brewing Co. We don't really have those industrial brewing spaces open to the public in Vegas. Thought it was pretty cool. Though it seemed weird that all the Monkish beers were cloudy. Made them all kind of taste the same
Assume they were Hazy IPA’s? Everyone is all in on the Hazy IPA’s. Everybody is making them. And yes it is a much “tighter” taste profile than IPA’s in general so they can be similar.

We have a newer brewery here that makes a bunch of them. And yea, they are similar.

I like them in general (some better than others). But
before their popularity I liked my IPA’s more floral and fruity than dank and bitter. Hazy’s Have that in spades and feel juicy! Every easy drinking (typically) for beers that are typically in the 6.5% to 8% range.
Old 08-12-19, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Assume they were Hazy IPA’s?
No need to assume if it was Monkish. Hazebros on Reddit and elsewhere have been all about them for a few years now.
Old 08-12-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm seeing a lot more "milkshake" beers on the menu lately as well, and I like them. Harpoon's Strawberry Milkshake IPA was delicious.
Old 08-12-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I'm seeing a lot more "milkshake" beers on the menu lately as well, and I like them. Harpoon's Strawberry Milkshake IPA was delicious.
A few days ago, I made a swing through Pittsburgh and picked up some beers being released. Even though it isn't quantified as a Milkshake IPA, I picked up one called Pancake Galaxy: Banana Chocolate Chip. It's classified as a Sour IPA, but that doesn't seem right, even if it's NOT a milkshake. I picked up some 4 packs; a couple from Cinderlands and Dancing Gnome, one from Hitchhiker, and maybe most importantly, a growler of Lou, from Brew Gentlemen. I'm seriously enamored with the Pittsburgh craft beer scene.
Old 08-12-19, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
A few days ago, I made a swing through Pittsburgh and picked up some beers being released. Even though it isn't quantified as a Milkshake IPA, I picked up one called Pancake Galaxy: Banana Chocolate Chip. It's classified as a Sour IPA, but that doesn't seem right, even if it's NOT a milkshake. I picked up some 4 packs; a couple from Cinderlands and Dancing Gnome, one from Hitchhiker, and maybe most importantly, a growler of Lou, from Brew Gentlemen. I'm seriously enamored with the Pittsburgh craft beer scene.
Yes...I love the Pittsburgh area. I worked in Greensburg for about 10 months straight.

Reminds me. I need a trip back...lol
Old 08-13-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's classified as a Sour IPA, but that doesn't seem right, even if it's NOT a milkshake.
I'm not sure how firm of a definition the "sour IPA" has. Most of the ones produced around here are basically kettle-soured hazy IPAs (which may or may not have lactose in them) that are then conditioned on fruit, which adds even more sweetness and tartness.

I enjoy them, but the flavors start to fall off very quickly in my experience. There have been a few (from 450 North and Rhinegeist) where I drank the first and last cans from the same 4-packs about a month apart, and the last cans tasted noticeably different.
Old 08-13-19, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
I'm not sure how firm of a definition the "sour IPA" has. Most of the ones produced around here are basically kettle-soured hazy IPAs (which may or may not have lactose in them) that are then conditioned on fruit, which adds even more sweetness and tartness.

I enjoy them, but the flavors start to fall off very quickly in my experience. There have been a few (from 450 North and Rhinegeist) where I drank the first and last cans from the same 4-packs about a month apart, and the last cans tasted noticeably different.
Interesting. The pictures kind of look exactly as you describe. I'm going to crack on tonight and see what's up.

Funnily enough, if I wasn't under the weather, I was thinking of making the long drive to 450 North a couple weekends ago for their big can release. There are pretty nice ratings on Untappd for that style of beers. Kind of wishing I'd been able to make it out there.
Old 08-13-19, 01:50 PM

Yes...I love the Pittsburgh area. I worked in Greensburg for about 10 months straight.

Reminds me. I need a trip back...lol
Understood. Even though it's only 90 minutes away, every time I go there it's like "Why haven't I been back sooner?"
Old 08-13-19, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funnily enough, if I wasn't under the weather, I was thinking of making the long drive to 450 North a couple weekends ago for their big can release. There are pretty nice ratings on Untappd for that style of beers. Kind of wishing I'd been able to make it out there.
It's to the point where people are lining up the night before for the 450 Friday morning releases. There is another one coming up next Friday. I have never (and probably will never) gone out there early to stand in line, instead taking my chances on something being left that evening or first thing Saturday morning.

I actually did drive out for the most recent release after work when they announced on Facebook that they still had 5 of the 8 cans remaining, but they were down to 2 of the 8 (the Nuggets IPAs) by the time I got there a couple of hours later. I at least was able to try the Emerald sour IPA on tap, which was good but not much different from the first sour IPA (Sapphire) they did a few months back. They must be using the same base for all of them, and I get the sense that they do the same for their stouts and fruited Berliners, too.

There are a lot of beer options in Columbus (Indiana, for those of you who don't know) for a town of its size, though, so it's well worth a trip even if you don't get all of the 450 cans you want. I haven't been impressed with anything from ZwanzigZ yet, but the Upland taproom is gorgeous and runs a lot of daily specials. You can also find some great Taxman deals at the Kroger, and the Cork liquor store by I-65 usually has Toppling Goliath and Firestone Walker in stock, among other things. (There are multiple numbered Cork locations in town, and the one by I-65 is the best, but I can never remember which number it is.)