Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 06-06-19, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
https://www.growlerwerks.com/collect...urized-growler

About 2 weeks ago ran across a deal on Amazon for the 1 Gallůn (128oz) Growlerworks uKeg in SS for like $110. I bought one for any early Fatherís Day gift to myself.

I filled last Friday and still drinking on, so far, Iím liking. I filled with a good local DIPA and taste just as fresh as day I bought.

On unpressurized growlers, I usually start telling the flatness within 48 hours or so of opening.
That looks really cool. I have a bad habit of forgetting my growlers at home when I head to breweries/taprooms. Kick myself every time.
Old 06-06-19, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

My band is playing a brewery (Berryessa Brewing) this sunday afternoon. I'll have to remember to bring a growler and try and get a free fill up.
Old 06-06-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the amount of breweries and distribution in the Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana area, it's becoming impossible to keep up with everything. I do have a couple of new(er) favorites, though.

Branch and Bone in Dayton, OH just celebrated their first anniversary, and they have quickly become one of the best breweries in all of southwestern Ohio, particularly for stouts and hazy IPAs. Distribution on tap is still pretty limited, and I believe all of their bottle and can releases have been brewery-only so far (although a handful eventually find their way to the better bottle shops in the Cincinnati area).

450 North in Columbus, IN has been around for a few years now, but recently started gaining regional attention for their heavily fruited series like Slushy and Fresh Froot. It's now to the point where you need to be in line the evening before their Friday can releases (typically every three weeks) if you want to get the full allotment of beer, and almost everything typically sells out within a few hours. I'm not yet enough of a degenerate to take off work to go stand in line on a Friday, so I just take my chances on whatever is still available Saturday morning when they open. The fruited stuff is often more juice than beer, but they have done several nice hazy IPAs and pastry stouts, and the most recent fruited sour IPAs have been excellent.

Last edited by printerati; 06-07-19 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-06-19, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
That looks really cool. I have a bad habit of forgetting my growlers at home when I head to breweries/taprooms. Kick myself every time.
I always keep empty 64oz and 32oz growlers in my Jeep. While good growlers I have them covered up and so far no issues being stolen.

This is one was more fo using in my bar or tailgating. But itís to nice in shiny to leave in my Jeep...lol
Old 06-06-19, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That’s a good idea. I have some cheap growlers I can do that with.
Old 06-09-19, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

I always keep empty 64oz and 32oz growlers in my Jeep. While good growlers I have them covered up and so far no issues being stolen.

This is one was more fo using in my bar or tailgating. But itís to nice in shiny to leave in my Jeep...lol
I'll have to try this trick.

Luckily, I didn't need it when I went to Cinderlands in Pittsburgh. They had cans of the beer that I LOVED. Arch and Drum is big, creamy coffee milk stout with vanilla and maple. The only other sweet coffee cream stout I'd had was years ago and this just brought me back to that memory. Brought home a bunch of cans to have/share with friends. Worth the stop if you're ever in Pittsburgh (along with so many other spots).
Old 06-13-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll be headed to Belgium in September. Planning to hit the Belgian Beer Weekend in Brussels Grand Place Sep 6-8. It's my first time visiting Belgium, but it has long produced some of my favorite beers. Does anyone have any recommendations on touring the breweries there, or bar-hopping, or have any suggestions for lesser known gems to try? Currently, the only place on my must list is Cafe Kulminator in Antwerp.

As Otter tradition demands, I will ask for advice and then follow none of it and be surprised when my trip sucks. Thanks in advance!