Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 06-06-19, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
https://www.growlerwerks.com/collect...urized-growler

About 2 weeks ago ran across a deal on Amazon for the 1 Gallůn (128oz) Growlerworks uKeg in SS for like $110. I bought one for any early Fatherís Day gift to myself.

I filled last Friday and still drinking on, so far, Iím liking. I filled with a good local DIPA and taste just as fresh as day I bought.

On unpressurized growlers, I usually start telling the flatness within 48 hours or so of opening.
That looks really cool. I have a bad habit of forgetting my growlers at home when I head to breweries/taprooms. Kick myself every time.
Old 06-06-19, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

My band is playing a brewery (Berryessa Brewing) this sunday afternoon. I'll have to remember to bring a growler and try and get a free fill up.
Old 06-06-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the amount of breweries and distribution in the Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana area, it's becoming impossible to keep up with everything. I do have a couple of new(er) favorites, though.

Branch and Bone in Dayton, OH just celebrated their first anniversary, and they have quickly become one of the best breweries in all of southwestern Ohio, particularly for stouts and hazy IPAs. Distribution on tap is still pretty limited, and I believe all of their bottle and can releases have been brewery-only so far (although a handful eventually find their way to the better bottle shops in the Cincinnati area).

450 North in Columbus, IN has been around for a few years now, but recently started gaining regional attention for their heavily fruited series like Slushy and Fresh Froot. It's now to the point where you need to be in line the evening before their Friday can releases (typically every three weeks) if you want to get the full allotment of beer, and almost everything typically sells out within a few hours. I'm not yet enough of a degenerate to take off work to go stand in line on a Friday, so I just take my chances on whatever is still available Saturday morning when they open. The fruited stuff is often more juice than beer, but they have done several nice hazy IPAs and pastry stouts, and the most recent fruited sour IPAs have been excellent.

Last edited by printerati; 06-07-19 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-06-19, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
That looks really cool. I have a bad habit of forgetting my growlers at home when I head to breweries/taprooms. Kick myself every time.
I always keep empty 64oz and 32oz growlers in my Jeep. While good growlers I have them covered up and so far no issues being stolen.

This is one was more fo using in my bar or tailgating. But itís to nice in shiny to leave in my Jeep...lol
Old 06-06-19, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That’s a good idea. I have some cheap growlers I can do that with.
Old 06-09-19, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I always keep empty 64oz and 32oz growlers in my Jeep. While good growlers I have them covered up and so far no issues being stolen.

This is one was more fo using in my bar or tailgating. But itís to nice in shiny to leave in my Jeep...lol
I'll have to try this trick.

Luckily, I didn't need it when I went to Cinderlands in Pittsburgh. They had cans of the beer that I LOVED. Arch and Drum is big, creamy coffee milk stout with vanilla and maple. The only other sweet coffee cream stout I'd had was years ago and this just brought me back to that memory. Brought home a bunch of cans to have/share with friends. Worth the stop if you're ever in Pittsburgh (along with so many other spots).
Old 06-13-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll be headed to Belgium in September. Planning to hit the Belgian Beer Weekend in Brussels Grand Place Sep 6-8. It's my first time visiting Belgium, but it has long produced some of my favorite beers. Does anyone have any recommendations on touring the breweries there, or bar-hopping, or have any suggestions for lesser known gems to try? Currently, the only place on my must list is Cafe Kulminator in Antwerp.

As Otter tradition demands, I will ask for advice and then follow none of it and be surprised when my trip sucks. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-20-19, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
I'll have to try this trick.

Luckily, I didn't need it when I went to Cinderlands in Pittsburgh. They had cans of the beer that I LOVED. Arch and Drum is big, creamy coffee milk stout with vanilla and maple. The only other sweet coffee cream stout I'd had was years ago and this just brought me back to that memory. Brought home a bunch of cans to have/share with friends. Worth the stop if you're ever in Pittsburgh (along with so many other spots).
Ive been to Pittsburgh many times and not sure Iíve been there. Iíll have to save to Google Maps for my next trip.

And being in Texas, they literally just passed (like within 2 weeks) beer to go at breweries. So looking forward to more growler fills, crowlers and such!
Old 06-21-19, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
I'll be headed to Belgium in September. Planning to hit the Belgian Beer Weekend in Brussels Grand Place Sep 6-8. It's my first time visiting Belgium, but it has long produced some of my favorite beers. Does anyone have any recommendations on touring the breweries there, or bar-hopping, or have any suggestions for lesser known gems to try? Currently, the only place on my must list is Cafe Kulminator in Antwerp.

As Otter tradition demands, I will ask for advice and then follow none of it and be surprised when my trip sucks. Thanks in advance!
Wish I had some advice to give, but that sounds AWESOME! Have a great time!

Ive been to Pittsburgh many times and not sure I’ve been there. I’ll have to save to Google Maps for my next trip.

And being in Texas, they literally just passed (like within 2 weeks) beer to go at breweries. So looking forward to more growler fills, crowlers and such!
I'm assuming you've already made it to Brew Gentlemen, Voodoo, and Dancing Gnome; all are HIGHLY recommended, especially BG, especially in Summer/early Autumn when Lou is on tap. Next time you're on your way, check their instagrams or better yet, the thread with weekly updates on releases in/around the city.

And that's so great to hear about beer to go at breweries... kinda. Next time I visit my brother, hopefully the beer explosion that's happened in Texas over the past few years keeps moving farther west or I finally take a LONG road trip somewhere. Or maybe some growler fills at a supermarket chain will be a reality by then?

Last edited by Shamus McAnally; 06-21-19 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-22-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://Stanley Classic Growler, Hamm..._5jLdDbQWC98GJ

Amazon has the 64oz Stanley (Navy) on sale for $34 w/free shipping (Prime).

This is is a good deal on one of the best growlers on the market.

In addition to collecting beer glasses, I have a pretty good collection of growlers and tried the cheapest to the most expensive.

The Stanley is one of my favorites. The other is Hydroflask. And the obvious difference is in the top and handle. The benefit of the Stanley is it stays on the unit (it has a stiff hinge so doesnít get in way of pouring). Iíve lost caps at tailgating before.

The other difference is the handle. This has positives and negatives. The positive, much, much easier to pour. Especially one handed. However the handle ends up taking up slightly more room in a cooler or fridge.

Both the Hydroflask and this Stanley are double wall insulated. Meaning they will keep the beer cold for hours. In my experience the 8+ hours claimed is not realistic in real world settings. But Iíd expect several hours.

If you still think to much, I do NOT recommend the cheap ones at Walmart. The top seal is garbage and one I tried literally leaked.

If you watch, Amazon will discount the ugly or discontinued colors on the Hydroflask. Then you can just cover with Brewery stickers.
Old 06-25-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 07-10-19, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay I am on a cruise ship. I have the unlimited drink package. I just now discovered they have a brew house here on the 8th floor and I have found my new hangout spot. Here is their tap selections

Okay boys, I am drinking for free for days, give me some guidance here!
Old 07-10-19, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And what the hell, here is their can/bottle selection though of course I prefer draft. If you really like something, tell me now: I'll drink it. I have internet on the ship, might as well put it to use.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 07-10-19, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Most of those breweries have been bought up (which is how they got on a cruise ship).

Regardless, for good taste, my pick would be the A Little Sumpin Sumpin. Easily my favorite on the list.

Grapefruit Sculpin is worth a try. Since BP got bought up, it hasn’t been as good (but likely more refreshing on a cruise). I’ve only had the Unfiltered once, seem to remember it being solid. 90 Minute is an easy pic, tho for my taste, not one of my “go to” beers.

I don’t remember having, but I’d try that Boulevard Pale. I’d also check out that Fremont IPA.

Enjoy! And cheers!

Last edited by Sdallnct; 07-10-19 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-10-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Can't go wrong with Dogfish 90, Decker.
Cheers!
Old 07-10-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Second the vote for Dogfish (love that place), but also try the Victory Golden Monkey if you never have before. Too bad they don't also have the Sour Monkey.
Old 07-10-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first 3 I'd try are the Washington and Missouri Pale Ales and the African Amber since I've never seen them around here. Most of the rest is stuff I can get at the Target by my house.
Old 07-10-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just picked up a Dogfish Head 90 Minute the other day for the first time in years, and it's not at all what I remembered. Maybe I'm just accustomed to the hazy juice bombs now, but it was considerably more malty than any IIPA I have had recently. I didn't care for it at all, but I don't care for anything malty in general (looking at you, Oktoberfest).

I would be tempted to just roll with the Chimay bottles since I can never be bothered to drop the money on them around here.
Old 07-10-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Looking forward to trying a bunch tonight. Had that Missouri Boulevard one last night and liked it.
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by printerati View Post

I would be tempted to just roll with the Chimay bottles since I can never be bothered to drop the money on them around here.
The per drink cap is $15. I could get those but they would cost me $5 each.
Old 07-10-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Black Butte on tap? Yeah, I would be drinking my weight.

Last I checked, Deschutes was still independent. They are building an east coast brewery here in Virginia as well. So between a local brewery we have here called Port City and Deschutes, we will have two quality porters produced (semi) locally and likely readily available on a lot of restaurant beer lists.
Old 07-10-19, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Looking forward to trying a bunch tonight. Had that Missouri Boulevard one last night and liked it.
​​​​​​
The per drink cap is $15. I could get those but they would cost me $5 each.
Still a great deal. I'd be hitting the Chimay Grand Reserve pretty hard.
Old 07-10-19, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
I just picked up a Dogfish Head 90 Minute the other day for the first time in years, and it's not at all what I remembered. Maybe I'm just accustomed to the hazy juice bombs now, but it was considerably more malty than any IIPA I have had recently. I didn't care for it at all, but I don't care for anything malty in general (looking at you, Oktoberfest).

I agree w/your 90 discussion. Tho I donít ďhate itĒ. And use to be the only ďgood beerĒ at nice steak places. But lots of peeps (IMO) have passed them. Least in the IPA field. Course that is some debate/discussion on why they partnered up with another brewery.
Old 07-10-19, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko View Post
Still a great deal. I'd be hitting the Chimay Grand Reserve pretty hard.

Thats a good call. And great beer to make friends with!
Old 07-11-19, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Black Butte on tap? Yeah, I would be drinking my weight.
Great call! I don't usually like very dark beers but that was fucking delicious!
Little Sumpin Sumpin was also great. I'm very familiar with Lagonitas and bought a keg of their IPA for my 50th birthday party but have never had that one before. Will be getting that one with lunch because they have bottles of it in the bar upstairs in the buffet area.

I'm working on the Dogfish 90 now. It's nice but a little too strong for me to drink quickly. Will work on this pint for a while.
Will for sure buy at least one of those expensive ones, but trying to be a little frugal here as this vaycay is already costing a small fortune.

Keep those suggestions coming, this is awesome for me Thanks again guys.

Last edited by Decker; 07-11-19 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-11-19, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Too bad they have Victory Golden Monkey but not Rosť Monkey. A couple of weeks ago I was in Charlotte, NC and met my cousin at Brewers at 4001 Yancey. Their drafts are all Victory, Southern Tier, Sixpoint Brewing. The Rosť Monkey turned out to be one of the better beers I’ve ever had.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.