Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 05-21-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

If you can get Golden Road, their session IPA Wolf Pup is the best session I've ever had.
Old 05-24-18, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

PSA

Soooo.....I do have a home bar. And generally have a good number of beers (bottles and cans only as I travel so much) on hand. Usually a very diverse collection. And I age a handful (typically just a couple years, only one beer do I age longer).

I use to have a simple little chalk board that I would write three or four of my favorite beers I have or unique beers I currently have. You know, just for fun. Then I played around with printing “bar menu’s” and got a couple $5.00 plastic stands from the restaurant supply store.

Well, I’ve graduated...lol....I noticed a lot of the growler stores, bars and even tap rooms use LCD TV menu’s. They are run by unTapped. I looked into that, but like a $600 a year license (tho kind of cool as “customers” can check in and then if flashes there name), which is what too much for a home bar.

Well I found the website “taplist.io”. It runs off an Amazon stick app! Now I do have a 36” TV in the bar for Sports and Music. So I thought about hooking into another input on that (I recently got an Apple TV so I have already had an Amazon stick). But then I remembered when my son moved out, he left the 32” LCD I had put in his bedroom. So I was all set!

Mounted on the wall about same height as TV, downloaded the app to Amazon Stick and set up on my iPad. It is pretty slick for a completely free software. Its especially set up for kegs, but there are preformed templates that don’t include the keg next to the name. Or there are custom options that you can just build from scratch. I’m still learning what all you can do, but you can add categories like “up coming” and stuff like that.

It’s kind of fun and adds a touch of “true bar” to the room. I mounted the 32” TV horizontally (normal) but you can do vertically as well. If you have more beers than will fit on a single screen (you can decide font size and shape and how much of a description to include) then it automatically just scrolls thru the pages. You can even set the speed.

I’m going to play around and see if I can add more categories like “seasonal”, “winter”, etc. and might even see if I can figure a way to add categories wines and bourbons (the only other things I stock in my bar).

Anyway, if you have bar, game-room, theater room, or “dedicated” room for drinking....it might be worth looking into. Even if you had to buy everything, its so cheap now for a “small” LCD and the Amazon stick.

I don’t know if I still have a hosting site somewhere, if I do I’ll add picture later.
Old 05-25-18, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would like to see that.
Old 05-25-18, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Every time I try to post them, they are blurry. But the images in reality are sharp....I’ll keep working on it.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 05-25-18 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-25-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's awesome! I notice you like a bunch of big beersch. Thought I was the only one with a fridge full of 10-16%'ers.

g
Old 05-25-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grip View Post
That's awesome! I notice you like a bunch of big beersch. Thought I was the only one with a fridge full of 10-16%'ers.

g
LOL....I’m still filling out the menu. The photos only show one page.

But YES! Big beers = big flavor (usually). And I’m way past the age to slam beers. Sometimes I’m in the mood to chill and sip on 2 good beers over a couple hours.

I do have some IPA’s and DIPA’s that aren’t that big.

And sorry for the odd angle and croppings. That plate directly under the TV has my full name on it. I’d didn’t think till after posting of just putting a piece of tape over my name...lol
Old 05-26-18, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does it pull the beer information from an online database, or do you manually type it in? I'm not familiar with Big Bad Babtista.
Old 05-26-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Does it pull the beer information from an online database, or do you manually type it in? I'm not familiar with Big Bad Babtista.
You enter manually, best I can tell. However you can create your own data base so that you don’t have to recreate the entire entry every time you run out and pull it off. Which I do buy a lot of the same bears when they come out out, so that is a handy feature.

Oops...I did misspell...shame on me....maybe just a typo. Thanks for pointing out....easy to go in and fix.

It is one of my all time favorite beers. It is from their “Rare Release” collection and comes out once a year in the fall. I assume your familiar with Big Bad Baptist. They make several variants now that are limited in release (tho I’ve seen their Son of Baptist around a lot, so maybe that is year round).

The cinnamon in the Babtista gives it just a hint of spice that I really like. When it comes out I try to buy 8-10. Drinking half and saving half for the following year. Some places limit the quantity. Tho I’ve made enough friends to usually it.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 05-26-18 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-26-18, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I assume your familiar with Big Bad Baptist. They make several variants now that are limited in release (tho I’ve seen their Son of Baptist around a lot, so maybe that is year round).
Yeah, the variants are reasonably easy to find around here. A number of them are at the Barrel Aged Bash I attend every winter, and my local Brass Tap often has at least one of them when available. None of them wow me, to be honest, but a buddy of mine would drink Baptista and Triple Barrel all day every day if he could.
Old 05-26-18, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Yeah, the variants are reasonably easy to find around here. A number of them are at the Barrel Aged Bash I attend every winter, and my local Brass Tap often has at least one of them when available. None of them wow me, to be honest, but a buddy of mine would drink Baptista and Triple Barrel all day every day if he could.
Can you get Praire Artisian where you are at? Love those guys. In fact been planning a trip so I can actually hit the brewery. Something I’ve never done even though only a 4 hour drive.
Old 05-27-18, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Heads-up : I checked today and saw that the Fizzics Waytap is currently on sale at Amazon for $89.99.

Let me tell you, as Kickstarters Ky-Fi and I both will swear, it makes a world of difference to the taste of bottled beer. I used to keep mine in its travel case and break it out on weekends, but now I use it daily so I keep it out on the bar. It does require a tiny bit of maintenance to keep clean and it chews through AA batteries (buy 2 sets of Enloops and a charger so you can swap out quickly). Still it's a beer essential in my book. Highly recommended.
Oh, sorry--I missed this when you first posted it.

Yes, it's a product I do heartily recommend. It essentially gives a nitro-like mouthfeel to any beer.

Regarding the batteries, Decker, I don't know if you're aware of this, but I read online (and discovered myself) that there is a bit of a design flaw on the product. The batteries drain even when the machine isn't in use. One trick to get around that, which I do, is to unscrew the top when it's not in use, to break the connection on the batteries.

Last edited by Ky-Fi; 05-27-18 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-30-18, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can you get Praire Artisian where you are at? Love those guys. In fact been planning a trip so I can actually hit the brewery. Something I’ve never done even though only a 4 hour drive.
Yep, I've had several of the Noir and Bomb! variants.

I'm going to try to hit Toppling Goliath in Decorah, IA later this year if I end up going back up to Rochester, MN. It will add about an hour to the drive, but I'm sure it will be worth it.
Old 06-01-18, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They show up here pretty often on Tavour (mail order beer, although it's close to my job so I just go pick it up). Right now, I have the Deconstructed 4 pack (but I'm holding out I think to get a regular one to go with it), plus I have a Birthday Bomb in my next box from them.
Old 06-01-18, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool....I’m going to try to get to the Brewery next weekend. I also want to hit Coop (again) and Roughtail in Oklahoma City.

Prairie is one of my favorites.

Also keep a list of about 55 breweries in the US I want to hit. They are on it. I have knocked out about 30ish.
Old 09-10-18, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Holy crap. Just cracked open a Uinta Lime Pilsner and damned if it isn't the most refreshing beer I've ever had in my entire life!
Old 09-30-18, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I have a dumb beer question I hope someone can answer. I bought an O' Fallon Variety 12 pack of pumpkin beer and one of them is called "Jack o Latte". If a stout beer is brewed with coffee beans does it have caffeine in it? I don't want to drink it and be up all night. Here's the beer.

Old 09-30-18, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
So I have a dumb beer question I hope someone can answer. I bought an O' Fallon Variety 12 pack of pumpkin beer and one of them is called "Jack o Latte". If a stout beer is brewed with coffee beans does it have caffeine in it? I don't want to drink it and be up all night.
It's different from beer to beer, but the amount of caffeine in any coffee beer should be negligible. If you have a caffeine sensitivity, I suppose there could be some issues, but by and large, you should be good. Provided you're not drinking a bunch of them back to back at night.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...-coffee.48083/
Old 09-30-18, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
It's different from beer to beer, but the amount of caffeine in any coffee beer should be negligible. If you have a caffeine sensitivity, I suppose there could be some issues, but by and large, you should be good. Provided you're not drinking a bunch of them back to back at night.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...-coffee.48083/
Thanks for the comment. I'm not drinking it tonight, but I always love some fall beers with my horror movie watching in October. I'm somewhat sensitive, but trying to cut back on my caffeine intake.
Old 10-01-18, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wouldn’t call it a dumb question.
I’m lactose intolerant and once had to ask around to find out if cream stouts would mess me up (they don’t).
Old 10-01-18, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wanna brag and say that I have about 20 top-shelf breweries within driving (or Uber) distance of my house, and that's not even mentioning all the amazing beer-halls and restaurants that have dozens of amazing beers on tap.

It really is an embarrassment of riches!
Old 10-02-18, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
I wouldn’t call it a dumb question.
I’m lactose intolerant and once had to ask around to find out if cream stouts would mess me up (they don’t).
I gave that beer a try last night watching the Chiefs game. I’m usually not a dark beer fan, but I liked it. I didn’t notice any caffeine and it didn’t taste like a stout beer at all.
Old 10-02-18, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Working in Chicago area. Friend flew in for weekend and we hit Three Floyd’s, Laganitus and Revolution. U fortunately hit Revolutions Octoberfest and was a bit nuts. Would like to go back.

Also hit Noon Whistle in the Oakbrook area. Nice little selection of hazy IPA’s going on.
Old 10-02-18, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I wanna brag and say that I have about 20 top-shelf breweries within driving (or Uber) distance of my house, and that's not even mentioning all the amazing beer-halls and restaurants that have dozens of amazing beers on tap.

It really is an embarrassment of riches!

Old 06-05-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

https://www.growlerwerks.com/collect...urized-growler

About 2 weeks ago ran across a deal on Amazon for the 1 Gallón (128oz) Growlerworks uKeg in SS for like $110. I bought one for any early Father’s Day gift to myself.

I filled last Friday and still drinking on, so far, I’m liking. I filled with a good local DIPA and taste just as fresh as day I bought.

On unpressurized growlers, I usually start telling the flatness within 48 hours or so of opening.
Old 06-06-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Does anyone have anything they like to do regarding visiting breweries? I have started trying to always get either a sticker or magnet from every one that I visit. I convert stickers into magnets, and I have a nice collection started on my fridge of breweries I have visited.

Also, in beer news, Sam Adams has acquired Dogfish Head. I love Dogfish, and I like Sam, so this is kind of cool, and I'm waiting to see what kind of collaboration beers they make.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.