Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 03-06-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

I noted a couple of you guys are in South Florida.

Perhaps you may want to try out Fort Meyers Brewing Co.

FM BREW Whats on Tap

I personally have never tried it, but It is owned by an old coworker of ours, a good dude and one of the nicest guys.

Hope it's good. I am trying to get him to arrange for shipping out to the west coast so i can enjoy. But still only local to Florida.

G
Old 03-11-18, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Working in southern Va. and found me a Wicked Weed Freak is Nature on draft....very yummy...
Old 03-31-18, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Was released from Roanoke Va. So decided to stay the weekend for some fun.

BTW Ballast Point just outside Roanoke is a good visit.

Iím at Sierra Nevada outside of Asheville now. Great facility. Huge! Will hit up Wicked Weed and couple others in Asheville.

Hit Flying Saucers in Raleigh and Columbia so far. Will hit the one in Charlotte tomorrow. Along with a Brewery or two.
Old 03-31-18, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Iím at Sierra Nevada outside of Asheville now. Great facility. Huge! Will hit up Wicked Weed and couple others in Asheville.
I hope Burial is on your list.
Old 04-01-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Working in southern Va. and found me a Wicked Weed Freak is Nature on draft....very yummy...
Nice! I had one less than a week old over the holidays. A good friend's relative-in-law was coming up for the holidays and brought up a care package of beers from the area. Had a 4 pk of Freak and threw one my way.

Getting ready for a trip to MA/VT. Hoping to come back with a boatload of IPAs and hopefully a few other good things (gonna hit Tree House, Alchemist, (get) Lawson's Finest, Foam, Hill Farmstead).
Old 04-02-18, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
I hope Burial is on your list.
Hit Wedge but didnít make Burial.

Asheville super cool. Iíll be making a trip back when I have more time.
Old 04-10-18, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Heads-up : I checked today and saw that the Fizzics Waytap is currently on sale at Amazon for
$89.99 $89.99

Let me tell you, as Kickstarters Ky-Fi and I both will swear, it makes a world of difference to the taste of bottled beer. I used to keep mine in its travel case and break it out on weekends, but now I use it daily so I keep it out on the bar. It does require a tiny bit of maintenance to keep clean and it chews through AA batteries (buy 2 sets of Enloops and a charger so you can swap out quickly). Still it's a beer essential in my book. Highly recommended.
Old 04-10-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey Decker, your in Vegas right? I'm a big fan of Banger right on Fremont St. Some solid beers especially their anniversary stuff. They also have guest beers and when I was there last week they had Avery's Tweak (one of,the best beers on the planet IMHO).

I usually bring them something from Texas that they can't get (if I'm checking bags).

I'm trying to line up my schedule and see U2 in Vegas next month.
Old 04-10-18, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll be at the U2 show on Friday - staring at the back of everyone's head from behind the stage presumably.

I've never been to Banger. Freemont St is a bit of a pain in the ass to go to as parking is very difficult, but at least I can park at the Tesla Charger for free and walk a couple of blocks down there sometime. Will check it out.
Old 04-10-18, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Had the best coffee beer (on nitro) that I've ever had at a local brewery.

Old 04-10-18, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey Decker, your in Vegas right? I'm a big fan of Banger right on Fremont St. Some solid beers especially their anniversary stuff. They also have guest beers and when I was there last week they had Avery's Tweak (one of,the best beers on the planet IMHO).

I usually bring them something from Texas that they can't get (if I'm checking bags).

I'm trying to line up my schedule and see U2 in Vegas next month.
If you go on a Friday or Saturday night check out Rock This Town in the lounge at Golden Nugget. Iíve gotten to know them and all cool with solid ďday gigsĒ. They do cover and the lead (Harry) does Elvis. Always a fun time
Old 04-12-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I spent Easter on Long Island, and swung by a friend's place near Hartford, CT while I was up that way, which allowed me to grab some stuff from Sand City, Barrier, Industrial Arts, and Kent Falls.

As far as Long Island goes, I really, really like the Enough Already guava gose and It Takes A Village IIPA from Sand City, but something is off on the finish of their Infinity Minus ONE +2 IIPA. Barrier's Heavy is the Crown IPA (a collaboration with LIC Beer Project) is also pretty good, but a bit boring compared to the Sand City stuff.

Connecticut fared less well. Based on ratings and hype, I expected Industrial Arts' Wrench NEIPA to be the highlight of the haul, and while it's also pretty good, it's not rave-worthy or appreciably different from any other NEIPA done well. The lemon coconut gose from Kent Falls is the worst thing I've had in quite some time, and probably one of the worst things I've ever had. The guy on Untappd who describes it as "soapy vomit" is spot on.
Old 04-21-18, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought a Stone Enjoy By 4.20 Double IPA...my wife took a drink and said that it tastes like bong water

also finally found a beer I've been looking for for almost 2 years, 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon, looking forward to giving it a night to chill...
Old 04-23-18, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveWadding View Post
also finally found a beer I've been looking for for almost 2 years, 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon, looking forward to giving it a night to chill...
I'm genuinely shocked it took you that long to find it. It was easily found here even before the Brooklyn investment/partnership, and now it's in every major grocery store. I have even seen it on tap at Reds games, but I'm not about to spend $10 on it.
Old 04-23-18, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally made it to Dogfish Head Brewery in Delaware. They had some crazy beers on tap, and I liked almost all of them. They're new Dragons and Yum Yums beer looks to be rolling out in stores now, and I give it a recommend.

I was less impressed with their restaurants in Rehoboth, which was disappointing, but the atmosphere at the Brewpub was pretty good.
Old 04-23-18, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
I'm genuinely shocked it took you that long to find it. It was easily found here even before the Brooklyn investment/partnership, and now it's in every major grocery store. I have even seen it on tap at Reds games, but I'm not about to spend $10 on it.
They just didn't have distro or whatever for Arizona. Last year, the closest Total Wine that stocked it was in Henderson, NV.

I tried it. It's good and plenty drinkable, but it just didn't have the watermelon flavor I wanted it to have.
Old 04-23-18, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Notch Brewing is local to me, and they specialize in session beers, with an emphasis on craft German, Czech and Polish lagers. This is out in cans now, and it's awesome:

Old 05-12-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A joint venture between Weihenstephaner and Sierra Nevada. An interesting hybrid that IMO tastes like both Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Old 05-13-18, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so, what's your opinion of session IPAs? do you like them?
Just tried 21st Amendment "Down to Earth", and yep, tastes like your regular IPA, but it's just 4.4% alcohol by volume!
I felt a little bit conflicted, but I really liked the taste. But also, it's like a Lager with 8% of alcohol or something like that.
Old 05-14-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like session IPAs. I like the taste of IPAs but i'm too old to drink them for 4 hours at a party so I'll start with an IPA or two and then move to session IPAs
Old 05-17-18, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
so, what's your opinion of session IPAs? do you like them?
I've been drinking a lot of Founder's All Day IPA (4.7% ABV). It's cheap and available almost everywhere around here. It comes in a 15-pack which is the same price as a 12-pack of regular IPAs. At first it tastes like a light IPA. But after you've had a few, you don't notice the taste difference.

I also recently tried some Terrapin RecreationAle (4.7% ABV). I just had a few cans that came in a variety pack. But it was pretty good. I'd say it was similar to Founders.

I've got to stay away from high-ABV IPAs. They give me nasty headache hangovers and wear me out for 2-3 days.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 05-17-18 at 02:36 AM.
Old 05-17-18, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was at Mikkelar Bar in DTLA over the weekend and had some of their cask conditioned ale.

I had the:

Yorkshire Square "Early Doors" - it's a Pub Bitter (light)
Yorkshire Square "Gumbo Phoenix" - it's a Brown Stout (dark)

They were phenomenal. It was like dessert in a glass.
Old 05-17-18, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Anyone in this thread going to Dark Lord Day @ Three Floyds on 05/19?

I will be there....imbibing
Old 05-17-18, 10:00 AM

I recently had a Decadent Ales Strawberry Creamsicle double-IPA. It was fantastic! Just enough strawberry and vanilla for good flavor. There is an orange creamsicle version too, but I haven't been able to find it locally yet.
Old 05-17-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been enjoying Founders PC Pils and Lawson's Finest Super Session IPA #8 recently. I can say I really have never disliked anything from Founders.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.