Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 09-21-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

My latest favorite: J. Wakefield Brewing's El Jefe

Local Miami brewery. This is the perfect summer brew, a Hefeweizen with a light coconut finish. Wonderful.
Old 09-21-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Hey, if you get a chance, try out a beer from Ft. Meyers brewery. An old friend, Rob, is an owner and he has gotten a few reviews.

Let me know if they are any good. If not, would love to give him a little shit for it .

He still hasn't sent me a case of his stout yet (tha bastidge).
Old 09-21-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
My latest favorite: J. Wakefield Brewing's El Jefe

Local Miami brewery. This is the perfect summer brew, a Hefeweizen with a light coconut finish. Wonderful.
Ah - I was thinking you meant "El HEFE". This is from a local brewery Dos Desperados in San Marcos, CA.

Its also very good BTW. But I'm no expert on that side of the beer spectrum (or any side for that matter... )
Old 09-21-17, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone ever tried Dogfish Head 120? Haven't checked the thread in a while. I have a few bottles that I have been aging, but I really love this stuff.
Old 09-21-17, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Anyone ever tried Dogfish Head 120? Haven't checked the thread in a while. I have a few bottles that I have been aging, but I really love this stuff.
Never heard of it before, but looking at the reviews for that one, it sounds great.

Though, I always thought an IPA did not do well under aging?

I'm open to being corrected on this. All of the beers I'm holding are imperial stouts that have an age to them. I recently opened up a w00t 2.0 that I have had since 2014. It was crazy great.
Old 09-21-17, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you guys run into this beer, get it! It's amazing! It's a Mexican bock, a bit caramel-ish, but clean, crisp and delicious!

I've only ever had it on-tap, but the place that used to have it doesn't anymore, so I need to find these bottles!
Old 09-21-17, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have. It's wonderful. The color alone will knock your socks off, but it's probably my favorite IPA.
Old 09-21-17, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've tried 60 and 90 minutes. Both great, liked the 90 minutes better at the time. I'm semiretired of IPAs, although I try one from time to time and remember why I was a big fan.

OK, I checked the 120, 15-20% ABV? wow, no, I'm sure I have never tried that one.
Old 09-21-17, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Aging should help.

I'm not a fan of of Dogfish (I knew blaspheme). I'll do 90 min if I have too. Ive tried 120 a couple times and find it almost undrinkable. But I've never had aged.

I'm just not a fan. But for IPA's I really prefer the juicy, citrus, crispness.
Old 09-22-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone ever tried Dogfish Head 120?
Originally Posted by grip View Post
Never heard of it before

120 Minute was a special treat for me for many years since I had to go to Illinois to get it, but it's (more) readily available locally now that Ohio has done away with the ABV percentage restrictions on beer. As a result, it's not so special anymore, and I'm also never in the mood to spend around $10/bottle on it when I can get any number of excellent 6-packs for the same price.

I tried the Samuel Adams/Urban Artifact NEIPA collaboration last night after hearing several rave reviews from Oktoberfest, and I was sadly underwhelmed. Something about both the nose and the finish was off. Shame, as I love just about everything non-raspberry and non-blueberry that UA brews.
Old 09-23-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've had 120 on tap (admittedly, early in my craft beer days, so my palate wasn't nearly the same as it is now). It packed quite a wallop at 18%. I don't remember being blown away by it, but it was also back to back after a World Wide Stout, which is also 18%, so I might not have been the best judge.

I've only had bottles since then. Even "fresh", I'm not a HUGE fan, but be forewarned, as it ages, it's not so much an IPA as it is a barleywine. (Which, is fine by me as I LOVE barleywines. I've got a bottle of 120 aging right now.)

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Better late than never...

The Pear Lambic from Rivertown (from here in Cincinnati, not to be confused with Pittsburgh's Rivertowne) was the surprise of the night, but I haven't found it since. However, I rarely get to their taproom since their second location isn't near me at all, and they recently closed their original location for remodeling (?).

I also recall enjoying the Bell's Black Note, Epic's Big Bad Baptist Variant, and Jackie O's Oil of Aphrodite, although I don't have my tasting notes in front of me and still haven't logged them in Untappd. I have also had Joon (a gin barrel aged Kolsch) from Madtree (another local) on tap a few more times, which is surprisingly refreshing and a good summer option.

Merchant du Vin's Lindeman Spontanbasil was one of my least favorites, and I would be pissed if I had dropped $30 on a bottle of something that tastes like carbonated basil extract. Epic's Smoked & Oaked, although not bad, is a palate wrecker and really has no place at a tasting event.

I fully plan on going again this year, my fourth in a row. It's well worth the trip and the price.
Oooh, a pear lambic sounds wonderful! I love me a good lambic and I don't ever recall seeing/having a pear one.

Those 3 stouts you listed are all very good, IMO anyway. Was the Bell's Black Note regular or barrel aged? The Black Note is really good, but the BA version is GREAT!

We used to have an annual event 20 minutes from my house every April. It was one of the highlights of my year. It's been gone for a few years now. I REALLY miss it. Enjoy it as long as you have it.
Old 09-23-17, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is my current favorite local brew--just a great, simple, malty classic German Helles-style lager.

Old 09-24-17, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
This is my current favorite local brew--just a great, simple, malty classic German Helles-style lager.

Certainly not a choice I would have expected to see from a Massachusettsan (I didn't make this up; I asked on google and this is what it says). Also, as much as I liked to think I have a well-rounded palate, even when I've had a lager a step above most lagers, I haven't really revisited it either.

Are you not an NE IPA fan or just over all the hype/tired of trying to get Tree House and Trillium? (I could see not having a ton of Tree House with their location and not sure if they distribute, but Trillium seems like they might put out enough that some has filtered your way, on whichever part of the coast you're on.)

Of the two, I'm much more a Trillium fan, though it also isn't entirely fair as I've had many more offerings from them than Tree House.

Jack's Abby is one place I wanted to go, though. (And apparently they opened up a nearby sister location that was maybe all for barrel aging or sours.) Even though I didn't make it, I was outvoted before we even left because apparently this trip was ALL about TH, Trillium, and Night Shift IPAs, so a stop in Framingham was out of the question. Pretty jealous!
Old 09-24-17, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
Certainly not a choice I would have expected to see from a Massachusettsan (I didn't make this up; I asked on google and this is what it says). Also, as much as I liked to think I have a well-rounded palate, even when I've had a lager a step above most lagers, I haven't really revisited it either.

Are you not an NE IPA fan or just over all the hype/tired of trying to get Tree House and Trillium? (I could see not having a ton of Tree House with their location and not sure if they distribute, but Trillium seems like they might put out enough that some has filtered your way, on whichever part of the coast you're on.)

Of the two, I'm much more a Trillium fan, though it also isn't entirely fair as I've had many more offerings from them than Tree House.

Jack's Abby is one place I wanted to go, though. (And apparently they opened up a nearby sister location that was maybe all for barrel aging or sours.) Even though I didn't make it, I was outvoted before we even left because apparently this trip was ALL about TH, Trillium, and Night Shift IPAs, so a stop in Framingham was out of the question. Pretty jealous!
Actually, the preferred term from neighboring states is "Masshole."

Not familiar with Tree House, and haven't tried much from Trillium--although I have been to Night Shift a few times. Pretty good stuff.

But yes, I'm not a typical New England craft brew guy, in that I'm not a big IPA fan in general. I tend to lean towards traditional European lagers and UK ales. I'm much more into the session beer trend, and I'm loving Notch Brewing near me in Salem, that specializes in lagers (Czech, German, Polish) that come in at under 4.5% ABV.

http://www.notchbrewing.com/

Jack's Abby is really awesome, though--even some of my die-hard IPA friends have high opinions of their brews.

My semi-annual beer highlight is the NERAX festival of cask ales (and some lagers). Awesome to get to sample so many from UK breweries that you normally wouldn't find.

https://nerax.org/wp_nerax/nerax-north/
Old 09-25-17, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Actually, the preferred term from neighboring states is "Masshole."

Not familiar with Tree House, and haven't tried much from Trillium--although I have been to Night Shift a few times. Pretty good stuff.

But yes, I'm not a typical New England craft brew guy, in that I'm not a big IPA fan in general. I tend to lean towards traditional European lagers and UK ales. I'm much more into the session beer trend, and I'm loving Notch Brewing near me in Salem, that specializes in lagers (Czech, German, Polish) that come in at under 4.5% ABV.

http://www.notchbrewing.com/

Jack's Abby is really awesome, though--even some of my die-hard IPA friends have high opinions of their brews.

My semi-annual beer highlight is the NERAX festival of cask ales (and some lagers). Awesome to get to sample so many from UK breweries that you normally wouldn't find.

https://nerax.org/wp_nerax/nerax-north/
Haha. Now "Masshole", that's I've heard!

That's definitely a different palate than many craft beer drinkers I encounter, but I wish I had more of an appreciation, and desire, to get more in to, though Untappd tells me I've had 127 different lagers.

I looked around the Nerax site, looks cool, although I was hoping to see a list of beers, though it is still a bit far off. And again, it's a big festival-type event; I'm all in favor of those.

Notch definitely has different tap list than most places to which I get, but I like that it's different and it looks like a great place to enjoy the beer and sights in a pretty quiet/chill environment. (Though, if I want to get there, I'll have to do it myself; guaranteed not to go with my buddies. It's not "IPA Heaven".)
Old 10-04-17, 08:31 PM

Would you guys try The Order of Yoni, aka Vagina Beer?
Old 11-22-17, 04:18 PM

I picked up a 12-pack of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale for Thanksgiving. I love this stuff.

What are you guys drinking this holiday?
Old 11-22-17, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After not having many IPAs for a while, I've totally lost the taste for them - some I can still handle (the limited "unfiltered" Sculpin is fucking amazing), but for the most part, I'm not digging the overly hoppy beers like I did a year or two ago. I'm all about sours now - but more regularly, I like blondes, like 805 and other variants from local breweries. One local brewery, Stereo Brewing, a hi-fi themed brewery, has a blonde called "Blonde on Blonde" (their beers are based on classic rock bands and albums) that's freaking amazing!

As for sours, another local brewery opened up a second location specializing in sours, with a third location coming soon for IPAs.
Old 11-22-17, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm craving some Belgian ales, so I'll be at my local spot snagging some Delerium Tremens and som Delirium Nocturnum.
Old 11-22-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I picked up a 12-pack of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale for Thanksgiving. I love this stuff.

What are you guys drinking this holiday?
Are you anywhere near Texas? Try to get some Saint Arnold (Houston) Pumpkinator. Literally one of my favorite beers period.

This weekend Ill be doing my annual, personal, Anchor Steam Christmas vertical flight. Its the only beer I regulatory save. I now have 2011-2017.

This past weekend I brought a 2013 Anchor Christmas to my favorite bar. It was like drinking a pine tree...lol
Old 11-22-17, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just snagged some Tremens and Noel. They had Nocturnum but it's a bit warm for stouts, so I'll wait. Also got a six pack of Latitude 33 Mangoveza. That one is a 7.2% IPA.
Old 11-22-17, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also recently grabbed Laganitus...that Born Yesterday is an amazing IPA.
Old 11-26-17, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Grabbed some BCBS. Think I got enough to drink some now and age a couple.

My four fall/winter beer I try to grab several. Drink thru the year and age.

Saint Arnold (Houston) Pumpkinator
Goose Island (Chicago - tho it is in the In-Bev family) Bourbon County Brand Stout
Anchor Steam (San Francisco - tho purchased by Sapporo) Christmas Ale
Epic (Salt Lake City) Big Bad Baptista
Old 11-27-17, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BCBS seems to be everywhere (around here, anyway) this year.

I have been grabbing extras of the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale the past few years and aging them in order to do a vertical of the three most recent vintages at Christmas dinner. It gets much smoother as it ages, so the "oldest" is always the hands-down favorite. They added a Providential Golden Ale (also brewed by Unibroe) that I had never seen in the local stores before, which I also picked up but haven't cracked open yet. Reviews have been positive.

I also hung onto a few of last year's Xocoveza, but aging didn't do much for it. The pepper is a tad less pronounced, but that's about it. I'm not sure I'll bother with this year's since I have so much else to go through, thanks to a couple of recent trips to Wisconsin and Minnesota, as well as several local end-of-year bottle releases.
Old 12-03-17, 02:07 PM

I'm sure it's not nearly the big deal it is for other states whose alcohol laws are finally catching up to the late 20th century's more progressive state laws, but now that Ohio upped it's legal ABV, I was able to BUY my first bottles of BCBS and CBS in two consecutive weekends.

Someday, no clue how far, in the future, I'll be able to crack open bottles of BCBS, Northwoods, and CBS. I'm pretty excited!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.