Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 03-19-11, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

took a trip to total wine yesterday...

also got an ommengang abbey ale and a bell's kalamazoo stout (both of which i enjoyed last night which is why they aren't pictured)

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 03-19-11 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-19-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by Vryce View Post
The only other beer that I crave is Dark Lord, but it isn't distributed in MI and I really think that you can only get it at that brewery one day a year. A couple years ago a friend had a bottle and let me and a few other people sample a small bit. Damn, that was some tasty beer.
Dark Lord is a brewery only release, it is not distributed anywhere.

Also, if you want a kbs and are making a trip to kzoo any time soon, I think I can help spread the awesome. Or if you want to meet me on May 28 in Detroit, I could help as well.
Old 03-28-11, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I feel bad for any fans of Goose Island:

Anheuser-Busch to buy Goose Island for 38.8 million
Old 03-28-11, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried a Sam Adams Noble Pils last night at Red Lobster. Really liked the taste. Seems like a good spring/summer beer.
Old 03-28-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Went to Boston last weekend and took a trip to the Harpoon Brewery. Great time. Got to sample pretty much every beer they had and picked up a six pack of their Leviathan Quad and UFO Hefeweizen.
Old 03-28-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

for fans of Bell's Oberon - it should be hitting stores today.

Old 03-28-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just picked up an Avery Maharaja because I noticed that it had been bottled a mere 9 days ago, can't wait to open it tonight:

Old 03-28-11, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Minor Threat View Post
Just picked up an Avery Maharaja because I noticed that it had been bottled a mere 9 days ago, can't wait to open it tonight:

They just started carrying Avery in my local bottle shop. I tried a bottle of Mephistopheles Stout last night and thought it was great. Didn't feel like it had an overly boozy taste to it which was impressive given that it clocks in at almost 17%.
Old 03-28-11, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice - I haven't tried the Maharaja yet because I noticed the bottle dates at my store were kinda old - stoked to get a fresh one.....
Old 03-28-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post

Yeah man, it's a bummer. Here's to hoping AB doesn't mess with the limited GI releases. They make money off those, so I don't see them messing with it anytime soon.
Old 03-28-11, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but based on principle alone.....

Old 03-28-11, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I only drink one GI beer, Bourbon County Stout, so this doesn't upset me in that department, but yeah, it's really sad to see a great microbrew sell out to the man. And less than $40 million seems so low. I guess I'm just so used to seeing GI everywhere, since I'm in the Chicago area.
Old 03-28-11, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
And less than $40 million seems so low. I guess I'm just so used to seeing GI everywhere, since I'm in the Chicago area.
I see it everywhere around here as well, and I agree that the $40 million seems low. Even the regular grocery stores carry 312, Honker's Ale, and Pale Ale at minimum.
Old 03-28-11, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Same here in Kansas.....
Old 03-28-11, 10:59 PM

This past Saturday, I was privy to the Dogfish Day at the Common Table in Dallas. They had 12 different beers from Dogfish Head on tap including one of the only remaining 10 kegs of Bitches Brew. So I got to enjoy the following:

60 Minute IPA
90 Minute IPA
90 Minute IPA run through a Randall the Enamel Animal that was stocked with fresh hops
Aprihop
Raison D'etre
Palo Santo
Namaste
Chateau Jiahu
Bitches Brew x 2
Midas Touch
Burton Baton
India Brown Ale
Red and White

It was a VERY good day. Many badges were won on Untappd.

Oh, and then I had Avery and Russian River's Collaboration Not Litigation and Avery's Maharaja off draft as well. Soooooooooo good.
Old 03-29-11, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gilgamesh1082 View Post
This past Saturday, I was privy to the Dogfish Day at the Common Table in Dallas. They had 12 different beers from Dogfish Head on tap including one of the only remaining 10 kegs of Bitches Brew. So I got to enjoy the following:
90 Minute IPA run through a Randall the Enamel Animal that was stocked with fresh hops
How was the beer drinking it through a Randal? Blue Point is having an event in a few weeks near me for their Pale Ale and they will be using one.
Old 03-29-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

According to the article I read (Chicago Sun Times, I think), Greg Hall (the Goose Island brewmaster) said that not much is going to change for Goose Island, other than that AB will be their financial backer and distributor. GI will be retaining complete creative control over their beers and brewing process. So this may actually turn out to be a good thing. I like their beers and look forward to what they may be able to do in the future with the resources of AB at their fingertips.

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
for fans of Bell's Oberon - it should be hitting stores today.
Seems a little early, but I can't wait to get my hands on some!
Old 03-29-11, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
According to the article I read (Chicago Sun Times, I think), Greg Hall (the Goose Island brewmaster) said that not much is going to change for Goose Island, other than that AB will be their financial backer and distributor. GI will be retaining complete creative control over their beers and brewing process. So this may actually turn out to be a good thing. I like their beers and look forward to what they may be able to do in the future with the resources of AB at their fingertips.
Well, the Head Brewer is changing...
Old 03-29-11, 03:08 PM

How was the beer drinking it through a Randal? Blue Point is having an event in a few weeks near me for their Pale Ale and they will be using one.
Count it as a rare blessing! Man, I've never had such a good IPA before. The additional hopping of the beer was simply amazing.
Old 03-29-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Additional hopping?!
Old 04-01-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tipping my Avery Maharaja right now - damn fine beer.....
Old 04-04-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bell's beginning canning beer in 2012!!!
http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/inde...install_c.html
Old 04-04-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Went to this over the weekend, and all I can say is "....ahhhhhh......."

http://nerax.org/
Old 04-04-11, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by steebo777 View Post
Bell's beginning canning beer in 2012!!!
http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/inde...install_c.html
If that means getting Bell's in NJ then I'm all for it. I know people have a pre- conceived notion that canned beer is crap, but anyone that's had a good craft beer in a can will tell you otherwise.
Old 04-04-11, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If that means getting Bell's in NJ then I'm all for it. I know people have a pre- conceived notion that canned beer is crap, but anyone that's had a good craft beer in a can will tell you otherwise.
Example 1. Ten Fidy.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.