Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 10-03-15, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by grip View Post
I know its a longshot, but if you have some time, drive up to Fullerton and go to "The Bruery". I have found their beers so good and varied. I found them after I was served their "Smoking Wood". However, they are no longer bottling that one only filling growlers until its gone. But they make a killer stout, dark ales and some crazy Belgian ales that made a beer fan of my wife.

AleSmith is my favourite local brewery these days. I'm a huge stout fan and shared some speedway with my buds in NY. Now, I'm not let into NYC unless I have a case of it with me.
Actually I've been. Was in Anaheim for a conference and ducked out early and went. Agree...yummy...
Old 10-03-15, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Bruery does have good beers, though I'm not a huge fan of Belgians. Unfortunately, it is usually filled to the brim with hipster douchebags. Just up the street is Bootlegger's, which is more my speed, more laid back, better beers (IMO), less douchebags...
Thanks for the referral! I don't mind the crowd there. I avoid the Friday evening crowd and usually go during the day when it is just a few older folk. Also avoid any time the Ducks are playing....talk about assholes.

Will try bootleggers next time....
Old 10-04-15, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
That list is one note, it's all hop bomb IPAs. This is indicative of a bigger problem among American beer drinkers. I like west-coast IPAs as much as anyone but people need to start to realize that c-hop flavors are not synonymous with quality. This trend has been going on for almost 20 years now and it's getting old. We also as American beer fans need to discover the wonders of yeast and malt flavors. These days domestic brewers often produce fantastic lagers that require much more skill to make than a 9.6% DIPAs and craft beer guys will say "it's fine" and rate it as middling. So the brewers go back to endless varieties of IPAs.

Perhaps I'm just sore because I brought a bunch of Weihenstephaner Kristall and Ayinger Jahrhundert (both of which are world class and appropriate to the season) to a party last weekend and everyone was sort of "meh" about both while raving about how much they love bog-standard Lagunitas IPA. This kills me. I was like "guys, you're drinking two of the finest beers in the world. Please recognize the technique."
Amen! I'm really getting burnt out on the current hop explosion trend.
Old 10-04-15, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
That list is one note, it's all hop bomb IPAs. This is indicative of a bigger problem among American beer drinkers. I like west-coast IPAs as much as anyone but people need to start to realize that c-hop flavors are not synonymous with quality. This trend has been going on for almost 20 years now and it's getting old. We also as American beer fans need to discover the wonders of yeast and malt flavors. These days domestic brewers often produce fantastic lagers that require much more skill to make than a 9.6% DIPAs and craft beer guys will say "it's fine" and rate it as middling. So the brewers go back to endless varieties of IPAs.
Agreed. I enjoy IPAs but I went to a bar with 51, 26 of which were IPAs. That's crazy, have some variety. There is also a trend with every beer being high alcohol, I go to bars and seemingly most new beers now are 8% or above, whether DIPA, TIPA, or imperial whatever style of beer.
I also wonder where all the bourbon barrels are coming from now, everything is now aged in bourbon barrels (which I enjoy, especially BCS).
Old 10-04-15, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mh4268 View Post
Agreed. I enjoy IPAs but I went to a bar with 51, 26 of which were IPAs. That's crazy, have some variety. There is also a trend with every beer being high alcohol, I go to bars and seemingly most new beers now are 8% or above, whether DIPA, TIPA, or imperial whatever style of beer.
I also wonder where all the bourbon barrels are coming from now, everything is now aged in bourbon barrels (which I enjoy, especially BCS).
What's funny about this is that this trend you wrote about was really prevalent here about 3 or 4 years ago. It's actually starting to die down, with session beers and easier to drink stouts taking over from the IPA and such. Seems like, as with most trends, it's just hitting your area a little later, and like it's happened here, it'll go away just as well.
Old 10-04-15, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What's funny about this is that this trend you wrote about was really prevalent here about 3 or 4 years ago. It's actually starting to die down, with session beers and easier to drink stouts taking over from the IPA and such. Seems like, as with most trends, it's just hitting your area a little later, and like it's happened here, it'll go away just as well.
Judging by the continued overrating of high ABV hop bombs and continued underrating of session brews or more subtle styles on sites like RateBeer, I'd say your experience is in the minority. Today, too many American breweries that specialize in hop forward flavors are still rated as "best in the country". I agree that five years ago, lots of cognoscenti on beer blogs etc started to complain about the trend but I'd say equal respect for session brews hasn't yet transferred down to your average craft beer fan. If you go to one of those 100 tap chains or whatever, lots of people are buying 8.9 IPAs and not many are buying 5.0 lagers.
Old 10-04-15, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You missed my point - the higher ABV/IPA trend mostly stared here, and while it's still strong, it's not as strong as it was 2 or 3 years ago - I'm seeing a slight shift toward more session type beers. Right now, most of the rest of the country is in the same trend we were a couple years go. It'll wane there like it's started to wane here. And those 100 tap chains are always behind the curve.
Old 10-04-15, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, I have a friend in San Francisco and was telling him about this about a year ago and he said that IPAs were over there and sours were big, and now sours are bigger over here though the IPAs still are prevalent. I can't wait for the session beer trend to take hold here, though I did have a local session beer about a month ago.
Old 10-10-15, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mh4268 View Post
IPAs were over there and sours were big, and now sours are bigger over here though the IPAs still are prevalent.
Urban Artifact is our only local brewery specializing in sours, and people here aren't quite sure what to do with them (yet). I'm afraid they are going to have to dumb down or revamp some of their offerings in order to make it, but I'm okay with that as long as I can continue to get the Keypunch (seasonal key lime gose) and nitro Finn (Berliner pale ale) unaltered.

I spent most of this week at a conference in Madison, WI and sampled a few of the (mostly) local offerings. The Karben4 NightCall Smoked Porter is my favorite by far. Ale Asylum's Hopalicious is a distant second, mostly because it wasn't at all what I was expecting from the name due to its lack of body and bitterness. Central Waters' Glacial Trail IPA and Capital Brewery's Wisconsin Amber were both terrible.

I also picked up a couple of New Glarus bombers (Serendipity and Wisconsin Belgian Red) and will enjoy and review those at a later date.
Old 10-11-15, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

^ If you don't enjoy those New Glarus beers, well, there's something wrong with your taste buds.

Had a few incredible beers this weekend at Cleveland Beer Week. (Just wish I didn't have to drive an hour to get things like this; there are so many more wonderful beers/events on which I'll miss out.)

Had a mini-Bigfoot vertical. The '01 and '07 were fantastic! And, for the first (and second, 1 day later) time, I had BA Bigfoot. Wonderfully barrel-aged beer. I love Bigfoot on its own, but that barrel-aging just made it that much better. Would love to get my hands on this bottled one day.

And, finally for a local beer, had Fat Heads' Barrel Aged Battle Axe Baltic Porter. Might be my favorite FH beer. I've only had it at beer week events twice, though I know it occasionally makes it on tap. But again, the whole driving an hour/being able to go when it's on thing(s).
Old 10-22-15, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Forbes picks the 13 best craft beers

Never heard of these mostly east coast beers. I'm sure they are great beers, but.....how can you limit yourselves to just 13?

Old 10-22-15, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Forbes picks the 13 best craft beers

Never heard of these mostly east coast beers. I'm sure they are great beers, but.....how can you limit yourselves to just 13?

10 of the top 13 are out of New England, and Lost Nation is "one of the few breweries" who produce a Gose? Yeah...
Old 10-29-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So did a road trip. Drove from Dallas to Phoenix to pick up buddy, then on to San Diego for Charger game and tailgating and brewery tour. Was a good time and had fun. Where I and/or buddy and I hit,

The Spotted Dog - Just outside Las Cruses NM
Borderlands - Tucson Az

Southern California,

Alpine
Butchers Brewing (small, but good ESB)
Pizza Port (Bressi Ranch) - total fail...might as well have been Chucky Cheese with beer. Both in service and with the kids running around screaming.
Ballast Point (Old Grove)
AleSmith (new HUGE facility)
Mike Hess
Green Flash
Lost Abby
Stone
Bagby Brew Pub (Oceanside) my new best friends and did some trading with them (and just sat around and compared)

Big Ben's Brewing Co - Tuscon, AZ
Bosque Brewing - Las Cruses, NM
The Hoppy Monk - El Paso Tx (not a brewery, but turning into one of my favorite places to get good craft beer. Yes, in El Paso)

Lots of fun. Lots of good beer. Made some friends. I will say, I was very slightly disappointed in the big boy breweries. No live music. Nothing other than just serving beer. And even asking what they recommended or have in limited release would get a stock answer of "we have flights". I realize the big boys don't need to do anything but still. And they were often packed with those brew tour bus things. And this is in contrast to the breweries I've been to in Denver/Colorado. And of course here in Dallas, almost every brewery does something, live music, art show, specials, etc. Many Colorado breweries were the same. Left Hand was such a party last year (live band) that we almost didn't leave!

Charger game was nuts. Oakland fan pretty intense bunch. Guess they stopped serving beer at half just because it was Oakland. But got in a full 3 hours of tailgating and about 2 hours post game tailgating.
Old 10-31-15, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

3 hours of tailgating meant that you left your place at like 6am? the traffic was horrendous [at least that is what I was told].

glad to hear about Bagby BP. Was a bit hesitant because.....well....Oceanside. but if they are about the brew....sounds like a good place for me to hit.

there's a new one coming up on Vista way and 101 that at lease sounds promising.

g
Old 10-31-15, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

3 hours of tailgating meant that you left your place at like 6am? the traffic was horrendous [at least that is what I was told].

glad to hear about Bagby BP. Was a bit hesitant because.....well....Oceanside. but if they are about the brew....sounds like a good place for me to hit.

there's a new one coming up on Vista way and 101 that at lease sounds promising.

g
Yes traffic and parking was bad. I didn't get it at all. I regularly go to games at ATT (Dallas) and been to games in Denver and Pittsburgh. Seriously, what is the deal? It was the parking that was the issue, not the traffic. We sat a good 30-35 min just waiting to park. They ended up just telling us to park on what was essentially a driveway.

Guess you guys really do need a new stadium.
Old 01-17-16, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did they change Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin?

I had, had it before and thought is was "nice" but still preferred the original. Yesterday I got a glass at Whole Foods and it all be blew me away!! It was soooo good. I asked the bar manager and he said it was a fresh new key. But come on. I'm in Dallas. It can't be THAT fresh.

But I got a growler of it and drinking it with football and it is just fantastic! Moved WAY up on my list of favorite beers.

Maybe what I had originally was old or bad or something. But I'm fairly certain I had it more then once, originally.
Old 01-17-16, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Go back earlier in the thread, and you'll see how I kept telling you that the Grapefruit Sculpin was so much better than the regular. Not sure what being fresh had to do with it, as I've had it from the taps at the Ballast Point brewery and bottles and cans that were months old - all tasted the same (the taps slightly better, but not by that much).
Old 01-17-16, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Go back earlier in the thread, and you'll see how I kept telling you that the Grapefruit Sculpin was so much better than the regular. Not sure what being fresh had to do with it, as I've had it from the taps at the Ballast Point brewery and bottles and cans that were months old - all tasted the same (the taps slightly better, but not by that much).
I agree. "Many" told me how good grapefruit was and I just didn't get it. Till this weekend. Maybe it was me, at the time. Don't know.

I'm at another Whole Food now, talking to a manager about it and he mentioned he often got "variance" in the GS.

Whatever, I'm enjoying it now.

AleSmith starts distribution here this week with several places doing tap take overs. I really like their ESB.

I'll likely be sent out of town to work this week. Hopefully someplace w/good beer.
Old 01-17-16, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have had some variance with the Grapefruit Sculpin as well. It's always been great on tap, but a few cans (from various locations, including Trader Joe's) haven't been as great, regardless of the date.

I will also take Cigar City's Jai Alai over Grapefruit Sculpin any day. Abita's Grapefruit Harvest IPA is a good bit behind both of them, but still better than it has any right to be, and I can get it for under $8/6 if we happen to be in Louisiana when it's in season.

I attended the annual Jungle Jim's Barrel Aged Beer Bash once again this year, and it was once again hit or miss. The Barrel Aged Plead the Fifth from Dark Horse was surprisingly disappointing, the Blis Blast All Day Maple Hot Sauce Session IPA from Founders was a mess, and the (way too spicy) Barrel Aged Crime from Stone was disgusting. The highlight (and the shocker) of the night was the Barrel Aged Total Eclipse Oatmeal Stout from Maumee Bay (out of Toledo), and is well worth seeking out. There appear to be no shortage of people who prefer it to Founders Breakfast Stout (!).
Old 01-17-16, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I resumed drinking on NYE and as we were perusing the aisles of a random Trader Joe's this lovely Xocoveza Añejo (aged in tequila barrels) caught my eye. There's a "Charred" variation (aged in Bourbon barrels) but I had to go with this one and it was fucking stellar! I had missed the initial release of the regular six-packs, so this larger (and more expensive) bottle had to do. It was a great way to end the year.

Old 01-18-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Local bar tapped a keg of Lone Pint (Magnolia Texas - NW of Houston) Yellow Rose. Which is an excellent IPA. Easily our (Texas) best IPA offering and something I'd hold up against in the country (in fact I've done some trading with it).

Evidently it was just kegged 5 (now 6) days ago. Possibly more remarkable thing, was at the bar they do "Sunday Texas pint day" and have 5-10 Texas beers for $3.00 each. And they included Yellow Rose! 3 for 9.00 was the best deal on an amazing beer I've had in a very long time.

Unita had a tap take over and while I liked several of their beers, they were all in the $10 range...
Old 01-24-16, 07:53 PM

Anyone else going to the beer fest in Biloxi this weekend?
http://www.topofthehopsbeerfest.com/biloxi/index.php
Old 01-24-16, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Anyone else going to the beer fest in Biloxi this weekend?
http://www.topofthehopsbeerfest.com/biloxi/index.php
Terrible lineup of breweries overall (and I'm not sure what the margarita and "sparkling alcohol spritz" are doing on the list), but I spend enough time in the South to know how slim the pickings are, so I realize that you take what you can get.
Old 01-24-16, 08:38 PM

Yep, agreed. Wasn't my idea to go, but I'm visiting some friends there that want to go. There's a few that I can't get in Alabama that I'm looking somewhat forward to (Green Flash), but otherwise a lot of shit I'll bypass on that list.
Old 01-27-16, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
There's a few that I can't get in Alabama that I'm looking somewhat forward to (Green Flash), but otherwise a lot of shit I'll bypass on that list.
Yeah, I would probably spend the most time with them (big fan of Palate Wrecker), Lagunitas, and Southern Tier, even though all three are readily available around here. Nothing from Bayou Teche, Lazy Magnolia, Widmer Brothers, Sweetwater, and Tin Roof has impressed me in a good way.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.