Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 02-11-15, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Rogue has a Sriracha Stout that I want to try.
Old 02-11-15, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Yea, I'd love to try it. Speaking of OR.

While waiting for my double chocolate from Rogue, I had my bars "fire sale" which today is a Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA. I really like. Have had before and have to say one of my favorite IPA's. It's not spectacular, but just a good, classic, crisp, well balanced IPA.

I'm going to try to beg and plead if they will hook me up w/a growler of Ballest Point Sculpin. I really wNt to compare it to a growler of a really good Texas IPA I have.
Old 02-11-15, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey your in LA....are you familiar w/San Diego breweries?

Last two years buddy and I met in Denver to see a Broncos game and breweries. In Oct of 2014 we ended up hitting 10 breweries I think. Had a great time. But after couple years ready for a change and thinking we would see a Chargers game. And hit breweries in SD. I spent the night in SD a month ago and hit 4-5 breweries and had a blast.

What do your suggest in SD? I missed Green Flash so would like to do that...what else?
Old 02-12-15, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Hey your in LA....are you familiar w/San Diego breweries?

Last two years buddy and I met in Denver to see a Broncos game and breweries. In Oct of 2014 we ended up hitting 10 breweries I think. Had a great time. But after couple years ready for a change and thinking we would see a Chargers game. And hit breweries in SD. I spent the night in SD a month ago and hit 4-5 breweries and had a blast.

What do your suggest in SD? I missed Green Flash so would like to do that...what else?

Sort of. I've never been down there for the brews. SD is about 90-minutes away. Too lazy.

If I were to go I'd have to get the Stone HQ out of the way. The one we do have here that's like one city over is Golden Road Brewery.
Old 02-12-15, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I keep hearing that Sculpin is better than Pliny the Elder. I have not had either. I'm actually going up to Idaho next week and will be hitting up some spots. They have a craft brew scene up there and they get tons of stuff from Ninkasi and from the state of Montana. I love how craft brew has come to places one would not think of as a craft brew type of places.
Old 02-12-15, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No, IMO Sculpin is not as good as Pliny. But I've only had Pliny twice, as I can never seem to find. Sculpin is good.

Yup, all about the craft beers. Was in Phoenix last month and buddy and I hit up a couple breweries. One was not that good. But the second was really good. We spent a lot of time there.
Old 02-12-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I keep hearing that Sculpin is better than Pliny the Elder.
Sculpin's good (and I think Grapefruit Sculpin's even better), but no, it's nowhere near as good as Pliny. Disregard any other opinion from whoever you heard that from.
Old 02-12-15, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

. I love how craft brew has come to places one would not think of as a craft brew type of places.
I saw this a few months ago when I was on Interstate 89, going through Vermont. I got off an exit to get gas in a pretty rural area--had to drive a little ways to actually get to the small gas station. In the window they had a homemade sign: "Growler refill station," with offerings from a local small brewery.
Old 02-12-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sculpin is not as good as Pliny. I dont think sculpin is really even better than Lagunita's IPA.

San Diego Area Breweries not to miss: AleSmith, Alpine, Port Brewing
Old 02-12-15, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dave Ninja hit it on the head - AleSmith is not to be missed. Stone is the original but damn are they large, snotty and frankly there is better beer to be had. Still, I love when they have w00t 2.0 out, tis my favorite.

Lost Abbey is a good one, but for an out of the way smaller venture, Iron Fist makes some great stuff on tap.

http://ironfistbrewing.com/
Old 02-12-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
Sculpin is not as good as Pliny. I dont think sculpin is really even better than Lagunita's IPA.

San Diego Area Breweries not to miss: AleSmith, Alpine, Port Brewing
Originally Posted by grip View Post
Dave Ninja hit it on the head - AleSmith is not to be missed. Stone is the original but damn are they large, snotty and frankly there is better beer to be had. Still, I love when they have w00t 2.0 out, tis my favorite.

Lost Abbey is a good one, but for an out of the way smaller venture, Iron Fist makes some great stuff on tap.

http://ironfistbrewing.com/
Thanks....the one's I hit the one night I was there,

Ballest Point
AleSmith (was great)
Saint Archer
Mike Hess
Karl Strauss

I could have stayed at Ballest Point all day! I hit several near Miramar. I only had a company car so I stayed pretty close (using Uber and walking).

Some how I lost track (imagine that while drinking beer) and I missed Green Flash. That is in that area. I'm not a huge Stone fine, so that is no big deal.

The way we do it in Denver is start the day driving to farther one's and then once we settle in the hotel, use taxi or Uber.

Is Coranado Brewing worth doing? Or is it just about being on the island?

Next thing need help with is good food places (casual) that serve local beers on the or near the water.
Old 02-12-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been to all of those, and Ballast Point was my favorite as well. Green Flash is a pretty cool place, but I didn't really care for their beers.
Old 02-12-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Green Flash is a pretty cool place, but I didn't really care for their beers.
I could drink Palate Wrecker all night. After eating, of course.
Old 02-12-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is Coranado Brewing worth doing? Or is it just about being on the island?
Anything on Coronado is only about being on the island. Not good beer IMHO.

Now that you guys mention it, I'm a gonna pop open a Speedway Stout, in honor of this discussion
Old 02-19-15, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Surprised no one mentioned this but the big red guy is getting his own brew courtesy of Rogue Brewing. I ordered two bottles directly from their website - they should be here next week.

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2015/02...-his-own-beer/

I should point out that the shipping might scare away some folks but I paid just over $9 for shipping from Oregon to L.A. - the brews are in 22 oz bottles and are priced at $6.75 on the Rogue website:

http://buy.rogue.com/rogue-hellboy-r...-doom-red-ale/

I guess they don't ship everywhere:

We are unable to ship any of our alcoholic beverages to states that restrict their import. Currently: Massachusetts (MA), Minnesota (MN), New Hampshire (NH), North Dakota (ND), Pennsylvania (PA), Texas (TX), and Utah (UT). Your order must be shipped to a residence or business and someone over the age of 21 must be present to sign upon delivery. We are unable to ship our alcoholic beverages to P.O. Box addresses. Orders containing alcohol to restricted states or P.O. Boxes will have to be refunded.

USPS will not ship alcoholic beverages.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 02-19-15 at 02:06 AM.
Old 02-19-15, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really focus on local beers. Always my first choice. And luckily, we are, here in North Texas in a craft beer revolution/evolution. Really only 4-5 years going.

Saturday after a 15k race, I went to near by Deep Ellum Brewery. They had a friken of their cherry chocolate double brown stout w/added cherries and rum chips. Deep lord one of the best glasses (sniffer) of beers I've had in a long time. Not overly sweet, not overly heavy. Just weel balanced of all that and just goodness.

Currently I'm loving Lakewood Brewery's Sin Mint. Which is their very good milk stout (Temptress) w/mint. Really good. Later in the week they will release a Raspberry Temptress for Valentine's Day. I'm not big on raspberry's but will give it a try.

Later tonight will be hitting up some Rogue Double Chocolate at it is glass night (v-day version) at my favorite bar.
As I guessed, I didn't like the Raspberry. Just reminded me to much of cough drops.

Still loving the other two. Had a solid IPA from Brooklyn Brewery last night. Very different than West Coast IPA's. Not near as citrus, but good drinking.
Old 02-21-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A few days ago... a week ago?... I went to a local place and had a firkin beer. It was their brown ale in a Cinnamon Toast version. Outstanding! Cinnamon, maple, and maybe a hint of vanilla. Gotta get back to this joint more often.
Old 03-02-15, 10:41 PM

Iron Maiden - Trooper
Old 03-03-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Rogue may have canceled my Hellboy Red Ale order.
Old 03-03-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

I missed out on ordering the Hellboy beer and I'm kind of disappointed. I wanted one for my birthday.
Old 03-09-15, 08:00 PM

Not your father's root beer and vanilla ice cream
Old 03-09-15, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rogue needs to give it a rest with their weird and crazy flavors. Every one I've had has been disgusting.
Old 03-09-15, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Rogue needs to give it a rest with their weird and crazy flavors. Every one I've had has been disgusting.
Tried the Beard Beer a few weeks ago. Way too funky for me.
Old 03-09-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just finished off a Ballast Point Victory at Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter. Its reputation is well deserved. Just a fantastic beer. As a big fan of Rogue Chocolate Stout, I'm now on a mission to track down their Double Chocolate Stout. I did try their 7 Hop IPA recently and was impressed, but it didn't blow me away like their Chocolate Stout. Then again, I'm not the biggest IPA fan anyway.
Old 03-10-15, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just got a shipping confirmation from Rogue. Looks like my Hellboy Red Ales have shipped.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.